Now that the Century class 8th deck aft lounge area is gone

Beach Nut

Now that Celebrity has decided to take what was my favorite quiet area away as a public area, and expand it into balconies for the FOV cabins at the aft section of the Panorama deck, where will I be able to have the same kind of low-key, sheltered resting/reading spot on board the Mercury when I sail it next year? A place with only the sounds of the wind and the sea against one's ears?

I know that it was a very special spot for many seeking a beautiful, relatively windless, calm and quiet place to gaze out upon the ship's wake, doze and read in peace.

(The covered small aft pool area isn't a sure bet. On our last cruise on the Galaxy, there was a noisy, unsupervised 8 or 9 year old child that kept loudly sing-songing the same phrase over and over and over.......... for well over an hour, until I gave up and left. Another passenger told me, "That's been going on every day", and this was 9 days into the cruise - a day at sea. Three calls to the front desk promised that someone would come to assess the situation, but no one showed up.)

So, does anyone have a spot on these ships that would be an adequate substitute to the late aft deck 8 common area for those of us who just want a quiet place in the sun to rest? I can't believe my "special spot" is gone.

Waaaahhh!

Hi:) Mecury is one of my favorite ships.

My suggestion would be to keep walking aft..outside of that

"noisey area";)

Depending on where you are cruising and what the weather

is like I have always enjoyed that part....there are tables and

chairs with umbrellas and usually it is really nice out there.

If that is not your cup of tea, you could always go to the opposite

end.....all the way forward and try the Navigator Lounge.

I know that is inside but I have always found it quite peaceful.

Sorry they took away your favorite spot:(

You're right, Lois. Just outside of the covered aft pool. It's not as "private" as my old spot, but it is a great choice.

It'll be my first time on Mercury.

Thank you again. I'm breathing easier already.

Actually, it might be a good bit of detective work, which I always enjoy, to try to find as many other peaceful spots as I can during the cruise - sort of like a game. :)

Susan

I give another vote to the Navigator Club. Indoors, but my husband and I read, played cards there every day and enjoyed the beautiful Alaskan scenery. It was one of my great memories of that cruise!

Did They Also Change Deck 10 Fov? (as They Did Deck 8)

Is That Aft Deck Area On 10 Not Open To Public Now?

Or Is It Just Open On The Sides Near The Stairs?

Reason I Am Asking Is I Have The Last Cc Cabin (1167) Port Side, Aft.

Was Looking Forward Using That Deck Area As We Love The Aft On Cruise Ships..

Wish I Knew The F.o.v. Were Changing To Balconies, As I Booked Very Early And They Were Available......

Beach Nut:

The photos we've seen of the aft section still show some loungers in an area adjacent to the balconies just at the bottom of the stairs that go up to nine. Maybe you will still have that peaceful spot.

You don't get a view of the wake of course, but I've always found the Promenade Deck a tranquil place for a read. Pull your chair up close to the rail and watch the sea sweep past. It's very restful and I like the chairs they have down there too, with the foot rest built in.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I am so grateful for your responses. Thank you for the generosity of your time and suggestions.

Pinebro - sorry - I'm not familiar with what's happening on that other deck, so I can't respond to your question. :confused:

Happy sailing to all,

Susan

Archived