Guide To Florida Car Rental (Transfer To Port)

Acrossenger

We are flying into Orlando for a few days of pre-crurise adventures. We will then drive to Jacksonville for our cruise. After our cruise we will have 2 more days before we fly home.

Soooo, is it possible to rent a car in Orlando and dtop it off in Jacksonville. Then after the cruise, pick up another car in Jacksonville and drop it off in Orlando?

Do the rental car agencies in Jacksonville provide shuttles to the cruise ships?

Thanks

I, too, have a Dollar rental question regarding the return. Reservation is for a pick-up and return to FLL. I noticed while booking the reservation that I had the option to return to Port Everglades. When I called to ask about this the Dollar Rep (at the 800 #) told me that I could only drop-off at the airport.

I planned to inquire about the return when we get down there in 2 weeks but if anyone knows I would like to let my group know. We have 3 vehicles and I would hate to have us all go to the airport if we could go directly to the port.

Is Dollar's port drop off at 2400 Miami Road, Port Everglades? Do the shuttles run often enough to make this the better option or should we stick with the airport drop-off?

Thanks for your advice.

Sheal

I think they share a building with Thrifty. (I noticed another rental company window last November). It is right outside the port and our experience is that Thrifty anyway, runs continuously. We go drop our luggage off at the ship, then return the car and only have carryons to deal with on shuttle bus. Works great for us. Sorry can't be specific about Dollar, but can't believe they check to see which agency you rented from when you get on the shuttle. (Have always had great luck when getting off the ship too) Probably just timing breaks.

Good luck. Kathryn

Post-cruise a couple of years ago, we took a Thrifty shuttle to rent a car for the day and then returned it to the MIA Thrifty location before our evening flight the same day. Is this still possible? Are there any discount codes that can be used?

We are using Thrifty in April from Port of Miami to FLL. We used the Orlando Magic card 004M001010 and received a discount.

We are usng Dolar on 3/1- I just received a quote for 24.99 for smallcar and32.00 for midsize...we are taking it to Disney and there is a$20 fee so for $50 we will be using it from the Port and then onto the Mouse...for $50

No codes that was there rate on that Sunday...they have shuttles and are right at the pier.:)

I have probably spent the last two ours going through all 25 pages of comments. I was trying to find a good rate from Sanford Airport to Port Canaveral for two days. 2/27-3/1. Well I used the code B999000 for AVIS just to see what it would give me and for two days I booked for $71! For a MINI-VAN! Thats with all their extra charges too!

Now I have also read that sometimes that ask questions at the counter regarding the code, as the originally poster of the code did not know what it was for I thought I would test it. If they say something like "You have to work for XYZ company for this rate," I will tell them that I simply found the rate online.

I also booked with Dollar incase this does happen. I can just tell AVIS I did not know and then go pick up my rental with Dollar. Not as cheap by any means but atleast its safe!

I have probably spent the last two ours going through all 25 pages of comments. I was trying to find a good rate from Sanford Airport to Port Canaveral for two days. 2/27-3/1. Well I used the code B999000 for AVIS just to see what it would give me and for two days I booked for $71! For a MINI-VAN! Thats with all their extra charges too!

Now I have also read that sometimes that ask questions at the counter regarding the code, as the originally poster of the code did not know what it was for I thought I would test it. If they say something like "You have to work for XYZ company for this rate," I will tell them that I simply found the rate online.

I also booked with Dollar incase this does happen. I can just tell AVIS I did not know and then go pick up my rental with Dollar. Not as cheap by any means but atleast its safe!

Well look what happens for bragging, when i went to finalize the reservation it says the code can not be found in their system.:( Oh, well.

The downtown location for Avis does not offer shuttle service any longer either. I was told a cab is about 10-15 dollars from POM to DT location.

Hi,

I just wanted to summarize about the car rental companies that provide free shuttle from Miami Airport to Port of Miami (car return in the airport prior to cruise):

Avis - No;

Hertz - No (they provide a free shuttle from a dowtown location);

Alamo - Yes;

Thrifty - Yes;

Dollar - Yes;

National - No;

Budget - No;

Enterprise - No

Please reply to this post if the list is incorrect. Thanks!

countdown.pl?name=harlab&date=8-8-2009&image=Beach-9&text=&ship=Liberty of the Seas

I have Dollar Booked for Feb 13-15 Pickup is FtL airport and drop off is Port Everglades 1515 SE 17th St Causeway Quay Shopping Plaza. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from here to piers or is walking distance.

Plan is to drop off luggage and rest of family at pier and then drop the car off.

I have Dollar Booked for Feb 13-15 Pickup is FtL airport and drop off is Port Everglades 1515 SE 17th St Causeway Quay Shopping Plaza.

You better double check your reservation, that's the Budget car rental office location, not Dollar. :rolleyes:

/////

I have Dollar Booked for Feb 13-15 Pickup is FtL airport and drop off is Port Everglades 1515 SE 17th St Causeway Quay Shopping Plaza. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from here to piers or is walking distance.

Plan is to drop off luggage and rest of family at pier and then drop the car off.

If you do indeed have a reservation with Dollar (which does have an office at the entrance to Port Everglades, but not this address), then I can confirm that they do have a shuttle to the port, shared with Thrifty at the same location. I recommend you get there early, as it gets busy!

I rented Budget last year pre cruise. This year I need a post cruise.So will Budget will pick up at Port everglades? Do they run continious or do I have to call? I also will need to return it to Fort Lauderdale airport.Is this possible? Thank you!

Just wanted to share and say thank you.

Read the posting, did some research, ended up booking a reservation with Avis using the code specified (online) - no issues whatsoever. Hopefully it's just as smooth when we are at the counter!!!

Total cost was: $52usd (this is a one day rental in March)

Pick up is MIA

Drop off is FLL

no drop charge

Thanks for all the helpful information.

I just booked Avis for NEXT jan. We will be arriving on Thursday night and staying in Orlando. We will then drive to Port Canaveral on Sat and drop car off. I used the rate online and we choose an Intermediate size it was $107. Returning we have another rental to drive to MCO $40. Overall it is $150 for our transportation to the port and we don't have to be limited for our pre-cruise days. Sure beats $180 for transportation!

I just now need to figure out shuttles and the best way to drop car off at the port. Any ideas?

We have Budget booked.

We are dropping it off at Quay before the cruise. Do we have to call for the shuttle to the port before we drop off the car?

And when we debark, do we have to call Budget at Quay that morning (will have cell phone) for the shuttle or is it a continuous run--and where do we pick it up?

(We are on the RCCL/Indy if that matters.)

I'd like to avoid taking a taxi because reports are that debarkation from the Indy is a nightmare.

I am picking up in Palm Beach and want to return in Fort Lauderdale. Do I return at the Airport or the off-site locations? I don't really care what company I use, just don't want too many traffic issues and need shuttle to the port. I already looked at Avis and they don't have an SUV available (got 5 people and bags) Help.

I just wanted to summarize about the car rental companies that provide free shuttle from Miami Airport to Port of Miami (car return in the airport prior to cruise):

Avis - No;

Hertz - No (they provide a free shuttle from a dowtown location);

Alamo - Yes;

Thrifty - Yes;

Dollar - Yes;

National - No;

Budget - No;

Enterprise - No

countdown.pl?name=harlab&date=8-8-2009&image=Beach-9&text=&ship=Liberty of the Seas

From what I understand, after speaking with the local National desk, they partner with Alamo, who are located directly across the street, and National renters can walk across and board the Alamo shuttle. However, you would probably want to confirm this, just incase I misunderstood. Their number at MIA is (305) 423 2104.

Hi,

I was looking for a car rental to take from Orlando to Tampa and then go to the port for a cruise in April. I would then like to pick up another car rental after the cruise to go from Tampa to back to Orlando. I normally use Dollar since they offer a free ride to the port after the drop-off but they are showing a $75 charge to drop off the car at Tampa.

It's cheaper to keep the car for the week (even though I only need it for 3 days) with this charge.

Does anyone have any ideas for me so I can get away from the drop off charge? Is there a car rental facitly that does not charge the fee going from Orlando to Tampa? I would really appreciate it.:)

Archived