Yet another tip poll!

Roboat

How and when do you tip?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. How and when do you tip?

• I tip when someone delivers an alcoholic drink.
    • I tip when someone delivers a soft drink.
    • I tip over $100 (per couple) extra on the last day.
    • I tip under $100 (per couple) extra on the last day.
    • The $10/pp/pd covers it. I rarely tip on the last day.
    • I remove the $10/pp/pd and handle the tipping myself
    • I tip in advance to get better service.
    • Tip? Now they want a tip?????
    • I think I am considered a big tipper.
    • I probably tip less than average.

:)

We were among the first when the new $10 per person tipping policy went into effect.

We left the automatic tips on. AND we still gave extra to our room steward, dining room staff, wine steward, piano bar waitress, those who served us for breakfast and lunch in the Queen's room, the Pinnacle Grill staff, and our concierge.

I never considered tipping in advance. I always wait until the end of the cruise and give extra to those who deserve it. Do people who tip their room steward or DR steward early in the cruise find it helps them receive better service? And in what ways does it help?

Thanks,

Orcrone

We have not experienced the new tipping policy on Holland America. (Is it October 20th yet?)

Now that the gratuity is added to the bar tab we would not tip on a per drink basis. Since we are great fans of the Piano Bar we would tip our waiter or waitress an additional amount on the last night.

Room service we tip at the time of service.

We've been known to eat many dinners in the Pinnacle and tip our waiter every evening.

Its been that way for quite a long time....

They didn't start adding a gratuity to the bar tab until they instituted the new (current) tipping policy. Both changes happened at once. It WAS tested last year on a ship, but that was the test, not the fleet-wide implementation.

I have not been on HAL since they instituted the new tipping policy ... I'm looking forward to seeing it work for myself. My parent's report was that it was no problem at all. They tipped a bit more over and above the automatic gratuity ... but, in the final equation, the result was petty much the same.

I find it interesting that you can vote multiple choices in this poll; that's o.k. because several choices are true for me. I have cruised under the new service charge policy.

I voted that I tip when a soft drink is given because the choice of tipping the lounge stewards at the end of the cruise wasn't given. I did tip an additional amount as I feel that 15% of a soft drink ($0.26) is totally insufficient.

I also voted that I tip an additional amount over $100/couple at the end of the cruise. (I presume a 7-day cruise was meant; I did the math to convert the figure to a single on a longer cruise.)

I sure do consider myself a big tipper. As a single woman I've found that I have to do that on land to get anything resembling decent service---on a cruise it's even more justified!

I read on a post that it was difficult to personally hand out tips now. Is this true? Also, are the tips all pooled together and passed out equally at the end of the cruise with this method? I would really prefer to have the tips distributed as we see appropriate. For example - we don't drink ANY alcohol at dinner, should the wine steward get a cut of the tips we would usually distribute to the waiter and assisitant? On our last cruise, the waiter was new, but the assistant was experienced, so she HUSTLED to cover for him. Because of this she deserved at least the equivalent of what we tipped the waiter.

If you remove your $10 per day from the account and hand out tips yourself, do they reduce the tips distributed to your attendants, or do they end up with a double tip? I think this method creates a mess, and is a socialized method of paying someone who does a job where traditionally you do a little extra for that tip. Usually in the United States you go to a restaurant, and if your waiter is crappy you tip lower, and they get the point. With this new tipping, there is no incentive to do anything but a "just passable" job, because even if your tips are removed, you'll still get a share of the pot.

Maybe the cruise lines should get some of those signs made that you see at military commissaries: "BAGGERS WORK FOR TIPS ONLY" and retrofit them for over the dining room/stateroom doors.

We leave the $10 charge on even though we do not use the dining room at all. We tip room service each time they deliver. We tip in the Pinnacle. We give an extra tip to our room steward at the end of the cruise. If the concierge in the Neptune has been helpful (and they usually are) they are tipped as well.

We have found that tipping the room steward a few bucks when first on board seems to get our luggage to our suite earlier.

Nancy

I sure do consider myself a big tipper. As a single woman I've found that I have to do that on land to get anything resembling decent service---on a cruise it's even more justified!
Decent service is the minimum I expect. And if I just get the minimum, then I don't see any reason to reward the server extra.

If I were traveling solo, I'd probably tip my cabin steward a little bit more extra than we do as a couple to make up for there being just one person in the cabin.

Having set up this poll and now looking at the results - I don't get it.

It is set up so you can check as many boxes as you want.

Right now it says there have been 57 voters. And it says 18 people voted that they tip when served an alcoholic drink. But it also says that works out to 16.98% - and everyone knows that 18 over 57 is... um... well, it's more than 16.98%. Plus, all the percentages add up to 100%.

So I'm thinking the percentages must be calculated on the number of "votes" (i.e. checked boxes) not "voters" - and there is no way of knowing how many boxes each voter checked. Maybe instead of 57 voters, there have only been 15 voters, checking an average of just under 4 boxes per vote.

So if I'm correct, then the percentages mean zip. Nada. They are all way too low.

Alright, I'll stop whining now - for a little while.;)

HAL's leaflet titled "you need to know" (May, 2004) says,

"Good service starts with crew members you may never have the opportunity to meet such as our HIGHLY TRAINED KITCHEN STAFF. They also benefit from the gratuities included with you bill. To ensure the efforts of these crew members are also recognized and to discourage solicitation of guests, dining and cabin stewards ARE REQUIRED TO TURN IN any tips they receive directly from those guests who have removed or reduced the gratuities on their onboard bills." emphases mine

On Noordam the distribution was explained as 30% cabin steward, 40 % dining room, 30% to cooks, laundry, night cleaning staff, and a few others I've forgotten.

Note that if you are upset with any service, you must punish everybody who shares the pool. Or you leave the $10.00 pppd and give extra to those whose service you want to recognize. I'm still not certain why that "highly trained behind the scenes kitchen staff" (aren't they call chefs?) need extra money from gratuities pool. In a restaurant on land, how would one ensure the efforts of chefs? And same for laundry and night cleaning staff in hotels. I regret to confess I've never tipped a cook, a window cleaner, or thought about the laundry person who provided the nice clean linens. Maybe I'm just not the kind of customer HAL wants.

Just curious as to how many of you sit down and take the time to write a thank you note along with your tips.

Ruth and I have gotten into the habit of taking along a bunch of thank you cards and general cards. It takes a little more time but we think it ads a personal touch when we tip deserving individuals.

By doing this we give the greatest thing we have. OUR TIME.

We also take along a couple pairs of new slippers for anyone who has really gone out of their way for us. I think there are some children and grandchildren of posters on this board who are wearing funny animal slippers now.....

Jim & Ruth

Just curious as to how many of you sit down and take the time to write a thank you note along with your tips.

I do. So do my parents. In fact, I learned to do it from my mother. She never liked just giving these wonderful people cash ... she wanted to SAY something, but found it impossible to do so. So, she takes a small stack of stationary with her and write a short note thanking each person for their service.

I do the same thing. My personal stationary has by website and email printed at the top, and I've been surprised by several staff members whom I've tipped actually e-mailing me at a later date. :) These Indonesians are wonderful people ... I wish more North Americans could meet them. Perhaps we'd learn to not judge people based upon their religion.

I'll never forget what some of the stewards said to me in Jan 2002 about how their version of Islam was VERY different from that of the terrorists. They were friendly, compassionate, and a joy to be around.

"Ruth & Jim" ... and "revneal" .... Same as you folks! :) For our END-Of-The-Cruise-Tips, I always do an informal "Thank You" note to many ... and make a effort to thank each person for something SPECIAL he/she has done for us that make our cruise better.

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Having set up this poll and now looking at the results - I don't get it.

It is set up so you can check as many boxes as you want.

Right now it says there have been 57 voters. And it says 18 people voted that they tip when served an alcoholic drink. But it also says that works out to 16.98% - and everyone knows that 18 over 57 is... um... well, it's more than 16.98%. Plus, all the percentages add up to 100%.

So I'm thinking the percentages must be calculated on the number of "votes" (i.e. checked boxes) not "voters" - and there is no way of knowing how many boxes each voter checked. Maybe instead of 57 voters, there have only been 15 voters, checking an average of just under 4 boxes per vote.

So if I'm correct, then the percentages mean zip. Nada. They are all way too low.

Alright, I'll stop whining now - for a little while.;)

I see you are from Orlando. Maybe it has to do with the chads. :cool:

When you allow people to select more than one response in voting the percentages are based upon the total number of votes, NOT on the total number of VOTERS. The only way for the percentages to be coordinate with the voters is for each voter to have only ONE selection, not multiples. If one can only choose 1 selection, then that selection would reflect them directly. As it is, one person might choose several selections, while others might choose only one or two of the options.

So ... if multiple selections are allowed, just remember that the percentages reflect the total number of choices made -- not the total number of voter. There IS meaning there ... just not exclusive and precise relative to each voter. To determine THAT kind of data, you'd have to have several different polls with a limit to 1 selection on each poll.

:D

Isn't statistics fun?

Jim, I too take along a bunch of thank you cards...I seem to get a lot of them in the mail from Service organizations....and always write a "thank you for your service" note. We were taught to do that as children. On our last cruise on the Zaandam, I passed out 18 envelopes. I`ve told my husband I`m going to stop talking to and getting friendly with so many crew members!!(not!),.....jean :cool:

Archived