If you have 1 day in Bermuda you must do ......!

ALSEAU

We have never been to Bermuda and it seems that many of the posters on cc have been there several times. What are the must see and do things there? Since we will have more than one day and if the weather permits we should be able to enjoy a lot of what Bermuda has to offer.

Is there a must cruise excursion that we should do? We have no problem exploring the islands on our own. Looking for ideas for us and other first time visitors.

When I was there 20 years ago I took a tour - Hartley's Helmet Dive. It was the funnest time I've had; although it's pretty hokey! LOL

I have done other helmet dives since then - in the Caribbean, but I will always remember my first trip in Bermuda.

Not sure if they are still operating - but I will probably check it out when I go there this fall.

Bermuda pottery was tiny, but I still love the pieces I bought there.

Hi Alseau,

We enjoy exploring the island on our own (with a 3 day bus pass). We like to snorkel & swim, so if the weather is good, we'll spend a couple of hours at a different beach each day (Church Bay, Horseshoe Bay, Tobacco Bay). We also enjoy walking .... St. Georges and Hamilton are great places to explore on foot. A bus ride to St. David's lighthouse is an interesting trip, as is a ferry ride to the dockyards. Gibb's Hill lighthouse is also worth going to (not sure if it's open to climb it, but it's still worth seeing the views from the base of it.)

This site gives great info on Bermuda .... scroll through the panel on the left and you'll find lots of good suggestions: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/0091010001.html

Have fun!

the one excursion i enjoyed the most was the Don't Stop the Party Carnival. they take u to a private island where u have a fantastic barbeque, great music, and drinks. it was about 3 and 1/2 hrs long. we did this about 3 yrs ago and still talk about it to this day. Also my husband and I really enjoyed the caves there.

We go to Bermuda for their fabulous beaches. It is one of the few ports you can go to without needing an excursion as you get get almost anywhere by bus or ferry. If the weather is ideal, go to any of the many recommended beaches. If the weather is poor, there are numerous indoor places of interest (museums, aquariums, caves etc).

We sailed to Bermuda mid October of last year! The weather was perfect! Mid 80's and the water was great! We enjoyed the beach everyday! We will also be joining you on the September 29th sailing!

Hi MYMUGSY, Welcome aboard. Have you signed up for the CC party? We have a thread started but not much activity on it yet. We have got plenty of time for it to pick up.

HappyCruiser, Susan-M, corona5657 and Dolphins thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Are there anymore out there?:)

Here's another website with lots of helpful and interesting info on Bermuda: http://www.bermuda-online.org/

Also....we enjoyed spending a couple of hours at the Botanical Gardens where the "official" residence of the Premier is (the house is open to the public as the Premier doesn't actually stay there.)

http://www.bermuda4u.com/Attractions/bermuda_attractions_bermuda_botanical_gardens.html

Susan-M,

Thanks for the input!! How did you get to the gardens?

Hi Al, We took the bus - it's about 1 mile from Hamilton...you can take bus #2 (and probably 7 & 8). Ask the driver to let you off at the gardens (from the stop, walk in the same direction as the bus was going, for about 150 ft. & the entrance is on the left.)

Here's a map showing the location (just S/E of the city of Hamilton). http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/91_bermuda.jpg

And here's a bus route map (see bottom map): http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=252

To check bus schedules, click on the colour coded bar beside the bus route name.

To catch the bus in Hamilton, it's a 5-10 minute walk to City Hall... the bus terminal is just to the east of it. (When you go out of the cruise terminal building, cross at the crosswalk where the traffic light is, keep heading in the direction away from the ship (North) - you can cut through the alley ways to cross the two blocks to city hall. This map will help: http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/91_shoppinginthecityofhamilton.jpg

You can either buy your bus pass on board the ship, or at the Tourist Info office at the terminal.

One other suggestion which we really enjoyed on our first morning in Bermuda .... we headed right to the bus terminal and took bus #7 to the Dockyards (there are two Bus #7's - be sure to take the one that goes to the Dockyards and not just to Barnes Corners) .... spend an hour or so at the dockyards and then head back to the ship by ferry in time for lunch (your bus pass is good on the ferries). If it's a nice day, gather up towels and bathing suits after lunch and head back out to Horseshoe Bay or other beaches in that area. The buses and ferries are a great way to sight see :)

We have never been to Bermuda and it seems that many of the posters on cc have been there several times. What are the must see and do things there? Since we will have more than one day and if the weather permits we should be able to enjoy a lot of what Bermuda has to offer.

Is there a must cruise excursion that we should do? We have no problem exploring the islands on our own. Looking for ideas for us and other first time visitors.

You really need to consider the helmet dive. Hartleys is still operating and in my opinion it's the best. I'm going back in October on the Journey and plan on doing it again. Can't wait. They have a web-site that you can look up if you want some info. My husband was very skeptical but agreed to do this excursion because it was my birthday--and he loved it!:)

Thanks again Susan-M for the great information.

Also thank you patchit for your idea. We will be looking into it. Was this cruise sponsored or did you do it on your own?

www.bermudashorts.bm is an excellent source of nothing but Bermuda information. Go to the Bermuda forum on the web page, which is made up of Bermuda junkies (yours truly, under a different posting name). The forum will give you any number of catagories for info. Just be aware that most of the people on the forum are NOT cruisers,and most have been there many, many times. The forum people are very friendly and I have never seen any curt responses to any question.

Rather than go into great lengths about what to see and do on this forum, scout the catagories and read the replies on bermudashorts. The web site has all kinds of useful info besides the forum. For example, you can check the weather from probably 10 years back to see the average air and water temp for when you'll be there.

We will be cruising to Bermuda this Oct. for our 7th time, so you can see we are in love with the island. We always cruised on the Celebrity Zenith because we liked the smaller size of the ship. We're going on RCCL this year because the Journey did not seem like the right "fit" for us, just a bit tooo small. I also love dressing up and my husband even seems to enjoy wearing a tuxedo which he would NEVER admit.

Bermuda is not a razzledazzle type of place, has a refined British influence about it. You will not find people bothering you on the beach to braid your hair,etc. Most places are fairly safe at night with a little common sense caution.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise to Bermuda and hope you see what all the Bermuda Addicts love about it.

Thanks again Susan-M for the great information.

Also thank you patchit for your idea. We will be looking into it. Was this cruise sponsored or did you do it on your own?

I did the booking thru Celebrity, but I believe you can book independently if you want. To me, it's just easier to book thru the cruise line. A couple of weeks ago I checked the excursions that were being offered on my Oct 13 cruise and Hartleys Helmet Dive was listed. I would love to know what you finally decide so keep me posted.

:) Patsy

Hi MYMUGSY....We are also sailing on 9/29 and are looking for nice beaches.

We would like ones with a bit of surf...any suggestions?

Hi Claybitz! We went to Horseshoe Bay! The surf was great! We had a ball! They also have chair and umbrella rentals, changing room and food available.:D

We have been cruising to Bermuda since 1979. We love two things that we do on our own.

When we are in St. George we wander over to the town square before noon and listen to the Town Crier doing his stick. We have seen it many times but still enjoy the shenanigans

We also take the bus or a cab to the Swizzel Inn for a drink. The bus stops right in front of it. This is the place where everybody plasters the walls with their business cards. We actually came across one of mine from many years ago, as I recognized the unusual logo immediately.

Enjoy Bermuda, it's the friendliest place on earth.

Ginnie

Ginnie.

2 questions.....

We will be in Bermuda in Oct celebrating out 35th anniversary along with another couple also celebrating their 35th (but it's their 1st trip to Bermuda) and we want to take them to the Swizzle Inn. Could you tell me which bus route it's on and how far it is by taxi. We'll be taking the Sunset Sail ex St George's and I trying to decide whether to make the trip before or after the Sail.

Thx.

the one excursion i enjoyed the most was the Don't Stop the Party Carnival. they take u to a private island where u have a fantastic barbeque, great music, and drinks. it was about 3 and 1/2 hrs long. we did this about 3 yrs ago and still talk about it to this day. Also my husband and I really enjoyed the caves there.

This is touted as the one thing you must do, however, be aware that the average temperature in Bermuda this past week was in the 70's during the day and 60's at night. Many of the folks who went on this excursion complained about the cold and the high winds, which blew things all over. As the season progresses and temperatures warm, this should be a pleasant experience.

Ginnie.

2 questions.....

We will be in Bermuda in Oct celebrating out 35th anniversary along with another couple also celebrating their 35th (but it's their 1st trip to Bermuda) and we want to take them to the Swizzle Inn. Could you tell me which bus route it's on and how far it is by taxi. We'll be taking the Sunset Sail ex St George's and I trying to decide whether to make the trip before or after the Sail.

Thx.

I can't tell you which bus route to take, as we have always taken a cab while in St. George. It isn't too far from there, much closer than from Hamilton. You could ask a local about the bus route, as the Bermudians are very friendly and helpful to the tourists.

Ginnie

Ginnie.

Could you tell me which bus route it's on ...

Hi Dave: Here's some info from Frommers that will help: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/D39591.html

Location: #26 on this map: http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/91_wheretodineinbermuda.jpg

And bus routes: (click on the coloured bar beside the route name to obtain schedules) http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=252

Archived