What is your best packing tip?

I am reformed over-packer...I love to hear suggestions about how people cut back on packing. I use a packing list, it seems to help a lot. I also, scale back on the amount of shoes I bring. I look at it as a challenge.

LOL:D :)

Anyone else with a great tip???

Geez, there are so many. I'm right there with you on the shoes, those take up so much weight and space in the suitcase.

One tip I always follow, no matter what kind of trip it is, is to pack one less outfit than you think you need, because you never need as much as you think you will, ever. I actually get a little annoyed with myself now if I pack too much.

I also wear the same clothes to embark and disembark, as well as first and last nights dinners, sending them out for cleaning mid-week. That in itself cuts back on 2 outfits per person.

Packing in dry cleaner bags is also a great tip, it cuts down on wrinkles like nothing else. For an article of clothing that wrinkles easily, a bag on the inside as well as the outside does wonders.

Finally, when I pack my makeup and toiletries now, I take the bare minimum to just get by. Even then, I have stuff left over at the end of the week. It all goes by so quickly and you never use as much stuff as you anticipate.

I think practise makes perfect, we're all different with different creature comforts. While I can get by with very little, the next person has a great need for variety, another person may not mind wearing the same clothes all week. No one answer fits all :)

I wear knits so I can roll up my clothes and find nooks and crannies for them in the suitcase. Even my formal clothes are combinations of Chico's Travelers line so they never wrinkle. Shoes are always the most difficult thing for me (I took 11 pair to Alaska SHEESH) and I'm learning to make do with just black or brown dress shoes, a silver or gold pair of dress shoes, sneakers and flip flops.

My goal is to get to the point where I take a large carry on and a large tote bag. I was able to do this for an 11 day trip to see my daughter but cheated by using her washer and dryer. Maybe one day I can achieve goal for a cruise but probably not this time :rolleyes:

Sandy, I think your goal is very reasonable. You could do it by using the laundry service onboard the ship :)

BTW, I don't think it's cheating by using your daughters washer and dryer. I have an Aunt who visits a couple times a year and is a horrible over-packer. She always wears the same clothes and washes them at someones house every time she visits, she could pack in a quarter of the space she uses.

I showed her how I was packed in a carry on for our last mini cruise (2 day cruise + 2 travel days) and she couldn't believe it. I think I may have finally convinced her to stop the heavy packing. I really hope so because all of us end up having to lift her bags for her.

I try and have pieces that can coordinate with other pieces and do double duty. ex. If I take a black pant suit I can wear it with a top during the day then add a dressy cami and change the shoes/bag for an evening out and changes the look of the suit

All my outfits are around a central color and that cuts down on shoes/ acessories that I take

My problem is that when I clothes shop, I always have "cruise" in mind. So then when it comes packing time, I have way too many cruise outfits and I feel guilty leaving some really cute stuff at home. I can't decide on what to bring! I think I brought seven or eight pairs of shoes last year.

I'm often ditzy, but I can't understand why anyone would try to cut down!:confused: I love to 'dress up'! Sometimes when I'm on a cruise, I'll wear three outfits in a day, just because I can. I love the shopping and the getting ready and the planning and the packing--even when it's 'too much'. I especially love deciding what to wear to dinner or on an excursion or to lounge by the pool on board. Maybe I'm weird.....:eek:

Robin

Robin, that's how I feel. I brought so many outfits because I didn't want any left behind and I changed a few times, but I always felt fresh and cute. haha.. I think what people hate is the "unpacking" part.

Hi Again!

I hear ya about not wanting to leave things behind...buuuuut, I also hate to lug around a huge heavy suitcase, LOL I look at it as what is practical for me, I just can't stand to bring home clothes that I didn't need.:) :p

I love the whole process of cruising, the planning, the packing, the packing lists, the do-before-you-leave list, posting in my rollcall...I love the whole thing! LOL It's almost like the vacation starts before it starts, LOL:D

Thanks for all your great posts!

I think I just got tired of all the work involved in overpacking. The preparation, the organization, the heavy luggage. Then, when you go home, turn around and do it all over again.

I do understand why a lot of people overpack, I used to do it myself. So I think it's partly a bit of laziness, not wanting to do all that work. Plus, the fact that I got rid of so many "cruise clothes" that I just didn't want to wear around where I live or work. I threw out a whole lot of $$ when I got rid of the stuff, but knew I'd never wear it again.

No matter what anyone says, you or your husband will have to handle those heavy bags at one time or another, even if is just from your house to the waiting shuttle. We now pack light enough so we can breeze right by you with the porter and a cart ready to topple over with heavy suitcases.

Packing lighter doesn't have to mean a compromise in style at all. You just have to work out the best pieces to take and coordinate, it only takes a little planning, using a chart helps you to see where you can successfully do it. Cruise diva dot com is an excellent place to start learning how. When I first started packing lighter, I was a bit fearful of not having enough along. My fears have never been realized and now I cut back more and more.

A while back, I met my heros, a retired couple who cruised numerous times a year, only in carry ons. They were trim and fit and looked like they had the $$ to spend on whatever they wished. They told us they could pack in carry ons for 3 week cruises.

Vacations are an experience, not a fashion show. People may notice you if you are wearing something odd (to them) otherwise, they are more concerned about themselves.

I have an excel spreadsheet with outfits, shoes, jewelry for day time and night time - then I spend my pre-cruise "playing" with the clothes. I have lists of everything that I am taking and keep a carry on filled at all times (although I have items that I have to take out and repack in bags due to the nice rules.)

I also keep totes of misc items that we don't use any other time of the year ... water shoes, snorkels, beach bag, craft work, etc. Its all handy when needed.

I pack with 2 1/2 gal ziplocks, dry cleaner bags for the garmet bag, a packing bag that fits in the suitcase with pockets for shoes, and we pack a soft sided duffle bag in one of the suitcases just in case we buy items in ports. For the 2 of us we take 2 suitcases and a garmet bag - probably too much, but they have wheels so its not a problem.

Youngest DS (15) is going with us this time so I purchased him his own suitcase & garmet bag .... yikes, 5 pieces - its a good thing (I guess that DS is 6'2" and not a lightweight) he will be in charge of luggage!!!

On our previous cruises, we've always driven to the port, so the amount of luggage (or weight) was a non-issue. But with an Alaskan cruise in September, we will be flying for the first time as a family (DH & I haven't flown since our honeymoon almost 8 years ago). I have the spreadsheet so I don't forget stuff, but we've got bulkier stuff to pack for the cool weather, compared to a tropical cruise. I have already told DH (repeatedly, so he's not surprised when it happens) that we will be using the ship's laundry/cleaning services on this trip!

My goal is to have four 26" pieces plus rolling garment bag checked, then a carry-on for each of us. Again, I'm just hopeful - not holding my breath!

I also worry about overpacking, because I am going on a Med cruise and will be on vacation for a total of three weeks, but have a limited luggage allowance on Iberia Air, plus I have to carry all that stuff around on occasion! I am rather fashion concious, especially when it comes to being Europe where I always feel underdressed. And more advice and suggestions would be welcome!

I use packing cubes and it keeps me organized and helps me plan better. I also work from a list.

I repack toiletries upon returning from a trip so they are ready to go for the next one.

I stick to fabrics that pack well and are low maintenance. Jersey, knits, silk chiffon are a few of my favorites.

I pack around a basic color scheme to maxmize mix and match and the number of accessories. I no longer pack outfits just because I love them if I cannot wear the shoes that go with it with other things.

I bring a travel steamer for touch ups.

I've always overpacked but I am now dealing with a 1 bag per person allowance for an upcoming land-based trip to Ireland in the fall. I've been buying Coldwater Creek travel knits along the way and I think they will work for me, using packing cubes. If I can manage the 10 days with 1 bag then I have great hopes for my upcoming 2/08 Westerdam cruise!

As for the travel steamers we discovered on our 12/06 Volendam cruise that HAL now has them on the banned list, along with travel irons so I would suggest checking with your cruise line before taking one.

My problem is that when I clothes shop, I always have "cruise" in mind. So then when it comes packing time, I have way too many cruise outfits and I feel guilty leaving some really cute stuff at home. I can't decide on what to bring! I think I brought seven or eight pairs of shoes last year.

I do the same thing!!!

Also, I pack too many shoes, I can't seem to coordinate my clothes with one color shoes.

Peggy

I'm often ditzy, but I can't understand why anyone would try to cut down!:confused: I love to 'dress up'! Sometimes when I'm on a cruise, I'll wear three outfits in a day, just because I can. I love the shopping and the getting ready and the planning and the packing--even when it's 'too much'. I especially love deciding what to wear to dinner or on an excursion or to lounge by the pool on board. Maybe I'm weird.....:eek:

Robin

Aahhh, finally, someone just like me! :D Of course my DH would love to argue this one, LOL !

I repack toiletries upon returning from a trip so they are ready to go for the next one.

I've traveled off and on with DH over the last three and a half years. (He's got a new job which doesn't require so much traveling. Hurray!) That tip is the best thing I figured out. I love knowing everything is ready to go. I can just pull out my toiletry case, make a few subtractions/additions depending on where we're going and it's ready to go. Very nice.

Now, if someone would just sell travel size versions of my hair products! It's so annoying to have to take all four in their normal cans. TSA nearly always opens my suitcase to look at them!

Robin

I take one pair of black silk pants that I can wear with different tops for dinner...long black silk skirt.......only one pair of black dress sandals... For daytime it's black washable pants and different tops. If you stick to one or two colors, you can really reduce the amount of clothing you take.

Terrific ideas about packing!! I keep the 1 quart zip lock liquid bag packed at all times and it just drops in my carryon. When I come home from a trip I just refill the mini containers from the big one in the powder room and it's all set.

Love the idea about the spread sheet with the different outfits, I'll start one of those for myself tonight. My first cruise was to Alaska and I took way too much. Hopefully I'll have the luggage on a manageable scale this time.

I've traveled off and on with DH over the last three and a half years. (He's got a new job which doesn't require so much traveling. Hurray!) That tip is the best thing I figured out. I love knowing everything is ready to go. I can just pull out my toiletry case, make a few subtractions/additions depending on where we're going and it's ready to go. Very nice.

Now, if someone would just sell travel size versions of my hair products! It's so annoying to have to take all four in their normal cans. TSA nearly always opens my suitcase to look at them!

Robin

Talk to your hair stylist. Travel sized professional products are available, many salons just don't carry them. I pick mine up at a to-the-trade beauty supply. When I owned a salon, I would order them for clients and in the summer months, I would carry them on my retail counter.

I take one pair of black silk pants that I can wear with different tops for dinner...long black silk skirt.......only one pair of black dress sandals... For daytime it's black washable pants and different tops. If you stick to one or two colors, you can really reduce the amount of clothing you take.

This reminds me, I have a pair of silk pants that are reversible, one side is a matte finish, the other side has a sheen. They were a bit pricey, but I know I'll be able to wear them for years to come. The brand is Citron, I know I got them at Nordstrom, but I can't find these particular pants at the moment :rolleyes: . They also have tops that are reversible. I love their Asian style jackets, I have 2 and will pack those along for dressy casual nights. Their sizing is generous, so order smaller if you ever find a piece you like :)

Archived