What is your best packing tip?

• 2 years later...
I bring a travel steamer for touch ups.

Forget that steamer and save ur $$...try this instead:

Step 1: Hang wrinkled item in bathroom.

Step 2: Close the door and take a shower

Step 3: Enjoy your now wrinkle free clothes!

I can't take credit for this idea..I cheated and saw it on another thread lol :p

I love my ebags packing cubes. When I discovered them, everybody I know got a set for Christmas. I bought the pink ones with the Komen Race for the Cure ribbons, but I don't see those available anymore.

I've never been so organized in my packing.

Just back from Nautica. Don't overdo the packing cubes. My husband always says they have weight too. I did like the zipper Ziplock storage bag in the 5 gal size. Kept all the little pieces (belts, bra strap holders, silk scarves,small zip lock bags of socks, underwear, bras and makeup) in place in the clam shell bag. Shirts and tops went in this bag on the more open side. Under the divider laid pants, dresses and coats in layers. Discovered that with clamtop need to put bottles of lotion, hair mousse etc in ziplocks up next to the fold. Things fall out of a clamshell differently than a duffle or regular suitcase. Otherwise this 24 1/2 inch polycarbonate bag was perfect. Fits in taxi trunks on side and on edge which makes a big difference when 3 are sharing taxi. My large wheeled tote bag with a small nylon tote bag for books, meds, makeup/face wash that goes in seat with me also worked well. The 21 inch regular bags are much less flexable and take more room in car trunk and overhead.

From this last travel the cabin on the ship is no problem -- it is getting to that cabin! From airport to airport (Madrid we walked maybe a mile), from plane to customs (involved bus, transporter,train and moving walks), from customs, to taxi from taxi to ship AND BACK AGAIN. Hang it from body or drag -- those carts for luggage don't do trains, busses, taxis, elevators and in Madrid slanted moving sidewalks that were a challenge to gravity:eek:

What is the difference between the packing cubes and the packing folders? Do you use them for different things?

Yes: http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/dept.asp?dept_id=3270

Packing folders for shirts, shorts, slacks...one folder can hold 7-15 garments depending on the folder size. Cubes are used for smaller items, socks, underwear, electrical chargers etc...

The come in many shapes and sizes. I like the folders because, unlike ziploc bags, they don't compress to the point of wrinkling clothing but keep them from shifting in the case. Those are the two main culprets of wrinkles, too much compression and shifting.

Yes Jan :)

There was once a woman who posted here regarding the weight of the packing folders, she thought it was ridiculous to add additional weight. What she could not seem to understand, though, was the fact you really only need one, two at the most. Same with packing cubes. One packing folder will add 6 ounces to your case, 4 of them will add a lb. and a half, this woman had purchased 8 folders and assorted cubes and swore up and down it would add 10 lbs. to her case :D

The nice thing about the folders and cubes is that you can keep them forever with good care, the ziplocs are good for one or two trips, including the compression bags that are so pricey. I still do pack in a ziploc or two, for stinky or wet things on the trip home.

My husband and I cruise on the Legend in 18 days. We are so excited. I have been planning and shopping for 8 months. I am really going to try and not over pack.I don't know how successful I'll be. I love to dress up. I agree that the planning and shopping is a large part of the cruise experience. At least it is for me. We will be celebrating our 25th anniversary aboard ship. We cruised for our honeymoon but not since. I will post when we get back.

Do the folders keep the wrinkles out of cotton shirts? My cotton shirts still wrinkle in the cubes as they get squished in the suitcase.

You may be packing too tight. I pack my husbands shirts in a "bundle" method inside the packing folders and rarely have wrinkles. Let me explain, it might be a bit long so I will try to keep it simple.

Instead of folding each shirt as and individual, I fold them as a group. I lay the first shirt right side up with the collar heading north, the next with the collare heading south, trying to keep the collars at an even distance, the bottom of the shirt can hang free. Before folding them, ad a center, such as a cube with underwear or socks, or even just a pile of underwear, this is to keep the first folded item from creasing. Now just fold over the center cube, to make the bundle small enough to fit into your packing cube.

You can even use this method without the packing folders/cubes and with more than shirts. The main reason I like the packing folders and cubes are to keep things organized and if the cas is opened by any security, they can easily see into the cubes/folders without messing up your clothing.

I hope this helps :)

my problem is that when i clothes shop, i always have "cruise" in mind. So then when it comes packing time, i have way too many cruise outfits and i feel guilty leaving some really cute stuff at home. I can't decide on what to bring! I think i brought seven or eight pairs of shoes last year.

my thoughts exactly :)

My problem is that when I clothes shop, I always have "cruise" in mind. So then when it comes packing time, I have way too many cruise outfits and I feel guilty leaving some really cute stuff at home. I can't decide on what to bring! I think I brought seven or eight pairs of shoes last year.

Ditto:D

I like space bags - the type you roll up. Also, take along a cheap waterproof watch with an alarm on it. IF you are at a beach and want to get back to the ship before it sails, it could save you from missing the ship. I also like a wallet with a wristband or a zippered pouch with a wristband added on (the kind like a telephone wire). This is great for your room key and will come in handy when you are walking around the ship and don't want to take your handbag.

we use the bundle method too - a good link for a "how to" is this - http://www.onebag.com - check out the section on "how to pack it" - our family of 4 - two adults, two teens - packed this way on our last caribbean cruise with Regent - we each had a Reddox carryon bag and my husband and i each carried an additional bag - it was wonderful to just get off the plane and head for customs! - no waiting around - and we all ended up with clothes we didn't even wear! - the suite butler had never seen anything like it -

another tip - it you're checking baggage, divide clothes among each other's suitcases - if a bag is lost or delayed you'll each still have some clothes -

old standbys - socks/belts rolled up in shoes - 3 to 4 colour wardrobe - pashminas (they weigh next to nothing) -

Limit your shoes. For a tropical itinerary, I take: sports sandals, dressy sandals, flip-flops and a pair of shoes like sneakers or walking shoes. For a dressier itinerary, I might add a lightweight black flat slingback.

Likewise, my husband wears a single pair of black shoes, with a pair of sports sandals for the tropics.

Thanks so much for the helpful tips! I am working so hard to limit my 14 day B2B cruise luggage. I also want to have room left and weight available to bring back some Caribbean Rum!

My tip is to go online and search for shampoo and conditioner samples. I receive the samples that come in foil strips (not little bottles). I have LONG thick hair, and I can use one sample each time I wash my hair. I collect these all year long (for free!) and will pack enough for one every day of the cruise. They weigh next to nothing, and can be easily packed in the ziplock baggie allowed by the TSA for flying. When you are finished, you throw the empty foil away! It saves me from bringing a LARGE bottle of shampoo and conditioner.

This is only one small thing I do to cut back on packing but it makes a big difference.

Archived