What is your best packing tip?

With the exception of trips to the cooler climates I try to only take outfits with very light weight fabrics i.e. silks, linens, light knits, etc.. Any heavier things like athletic shoes, hairdryer , jacket I carry on the plane with me.

I have no use for travel size cosmetics unless a very short trip so these items go into my checked luggage . I love keeping everything organized in Ziplock bags in my carry on and checked bags...easy to locate what you need ,unpack and no spillage accidents.:p

Talk to your hair stylist. Travel sized professional products are available, many salons just don't carry them. I pick mine up at a to-the-trade beauty supply. When I owned a salon, I would order them for clients and in the summer months, I would carry them on my retail counter.

I didn't know that! Thank you so much. I will explore that idea before our next trip.

I have really thick, naturally curly hair. It can turn into an enormous bush without my hair stuff. I used to carry them on because I'm always afraid of my luggage being delayed. Now I have to pack them. Maybe the travel ones will be small enough I can go back to putting them in my carryon!

Robin

My problem is that when I clothes shop, I always have "cruise" in mind. So then when it comes packing time, I have way too many cruise outfits and I feel guilty leaving some really cute stuff at home. I can't decide on what to bring! I think I brought seven or eight pairs of shoes last year.

I'm often ditzy, but I can't understand why anyone would try to cut down!:confused: I love to 'dress up'! Sometimes when I'm on a cruise, I'll wear three outfits in a day, just because I can. I love the shopping and the getting ready and the planning and the packing--even when it's 'too much'. I especially love deciding what to wear to dinner or on an excursion or to lounge by the pool on board. Maybe I'm weird.....:eek:

Robin

Sounds like you two are kindred spirites!!

I used to be an overpacker, now I am a confirmed light packer.

I got really tired of lugging heavy, big suitcases around the house, in the car, out of the car, in the airport shuttle, out of the airport shuttle, etc.

I now travel with one carryon sized suitcase and a tote bag. Packed this way for 2 1/2 weeks in Europe last year, will do again for a 3 week trip this year.

I never pack anything I will wear once or twice and never dresses, they're far too limiting. I only pack items I can mix and match.

One type of item you can get a lot of mileage from is sweater sets. They take up hardly any room and are very versatile. Don't pack jeans. Limit shoes to 3-4 pairs.

On Carnival we are platinum so we now get free daily wash and fold laundry so that helps a lot.

I now travel with one carryon sized suitcase and a tote bag. Packed this way for 2 1/2 weeks in Europe last year, will do again for a 3 week trip this year.

I never pack anything I will wear once or twice and never dresses, they're far too limiting. I only pack items I can mix and match.

One type of item you can get a lot of mileage from is sweater sets. They take up hardly any room and are very versatile. Don't pack jeans. Limit shoes to 3-4 pairs.

I have not accomplished packing with a carry on and tote bag for Europe but am doing well with my mid sized rolling duffle and backpack for a 2 week trip.:)

Twin sets are a staple for me. My favorite is a leopard print Dana Buchman twin set I have had for 5-6 years. I can wear the tank with a plain black cardigan and black slacks or wear the leopard cardigan with black tank and black slacks or wear both pieces. Three outfits in one!

I also rely on my pashmina's to dress up/change the look of basic pieces. My favorites are prints in muted tones and they are truly multipurpose.

And limiting shoes is a real necessity as well.

I also use lists, and for the last several cruises, have been very good about coordinating my outfits and shoes. I wear black pants twice, a black skirt twice, and throw in my formal outfits. My first night and last night are capri's and a nice top, and I wear the same outfit both times.

Having said all of that - my packing skills may all be thrown out the window when I cruise to Alaska next month. :eek: All I hear are layer, layer, layers! So I have long sleeve, short sleeve, jeans, shorts, sweatshirts, and so on. Throw in our jackets, and whew! I just know as sure as I am sitting here typing that I am gonna overpack. Our 2 jackets alone will fill a small carry-on!

I guess it will be a learning experience because when I cruise to warmer climates, I can make do with 1 suitcase and 1 garment bag for all week for both my DH and myself. I remember my first cruise...I brought 11 pairs of shoes for a one week cruise! :rolleyes:

I am in agreement with so many of the posts, I can't quote them all. I pack light and coordinate my outfits to mix and match. I also bring some accessories that can liven up an outfit. I also bring easy care fabrics.

I used to travel for my job and learned how to pack for a week in one carryon suitcase. My husband is an overpacker, but he is learning from me that he can take less and still have enough for the trip.

Amy

Having said all of that - my packing skills may all be thrown out the window when I cruise to Alaska next month. :eek: All I hear are layer, layer, layers! So I have long sleeve, short sleeve, jeans, shorts, sweatshirts, and so on. Throw in our jackets, and whew! I just know as sure as I am sitting here typing that I am gonna overpack. Our 2 jackets alone will fill a small carry-on!

:rolleyes:

We leave tomorrow for Alaska. Layers, yes, but less of each is the key IMO.

We each have a rolling duffle and a backpack. We have one carry on garment bag for suit/dresses. And the outdoor gear is in its own small duffle.

I packed three pair of pants (one pr. cords, one pair jeans, one pair tailored athletic pants..all black), one short sleeve T (will wear another), 2 Nike Dri Fit turtlenecks, 2 long sleeve Ts, 2 pair daytime shoes and three for nights on the ship. That and undergarments and that will suffice. I will wear a 2 piece black knit warm up suit and T on the plane with my waterproof Rocket Dog slides.

For nights, one pair black pants with 2 tops, 2 long dresses (jersey), one 2 pc jersey pantset, one skirt and top. We will have dinner in Seattle precruise and in Victoria the final evening of the cruise so have a pair of dressier jeans and low heeled boots in my carry on, along with a black silk turtleneck.

We each have an unlined jacket and a fleece zip up long sleeve pullover.

We will have clothes laundered as needed.

The rolling duffles are great - so many pockets and so much space that can be utilized.

Alaska is not as hard as you may think. I don't bother with shorts as I am from FL and rarely wear them anyway. I know it will not be warm enough for me to even think about wearing them in Alaska:).

Great thread!

A lot of excellent ideas here. I am a terrible packer. I put out what I am taking and DH puts it all in the suitcase for me. He good at putting things where they belong. Like putting together puzzle pieces, lol.:p

I hope to utilize some of these ideas with my upcoming cruise.

Thanks everyone,

Peggy

I also use lists, and for the last several cruises, have been very good about coordinating my outfits and shoes. I wear black pants twice, a black skirt twice, and throw in my formal outfits. My first night and last night are capri's and a nice top, and I wear the same outfit both times.

I guess it will be a learning experience because when I cruise to warmer climates, I can make do with 1 suitcase and 1 garment bag for all week for both my DH and myself. I remember my first cruise...I brought 11 pairs of shoes for a one week cruise! :rolleyes:

Alaska was definitely our most challenging packing ordeal. If I had it to do again I would take (daytime choices only):

2 long sleeved T-shirts

2 short sleeved T-shirts

2 undershirts (tank tops work well)

One pair jeans and 1 or 2 pair knit pants (yoga pants would work well)

1 pair shorts

Leave the extra pair of sneakers at home

Don't forget flip flops for onboard the ship

Take a longer length raincoat, mine was hip length, I'd take one to cover my backside next time. BTW, you don't need a heavy coat, you will only have one cold day on the cruise, take mittens and a hat for that, wrap in a blanket (they provide) if you're not warm enough.

Finally, pack your jackets in a air-compressed plastic bag, squish the air out. What we did was put all the heaviest items into the smallest duffle bag, to help cut back on the weight of the larger suitcases.

Twin sets are a staple for me. My favorite is a leopard print Dana Buchman twin set I have had for 5-6 years. I can wear the tank with a plain black cardigan and black slacks or wear the leopard cardigan with black tank and black slacks or wear both pieces. Three outfits in one!

I think we have the same twinset. I only wear it for travel. It is my "in flight" outfit, along with black pants. Doesn't ever show a thing and comfortable to travel in.

I used to be of the school of "pack everything" but have learned it's better to underpack than overpack.

For a cruise of 7-10 days, I'll take one long black skirt with two different tops for 2 formal nights. Two pairs of black dressy pants that pair with various other tops for the remaining "smart casual nights." I take 1 pair of formal sandals and 1 pair of dressy black shoes to go with these. (Also 1 formal bag and one "dressy" bag.)

For daytime wear in the Caribbean: 3 bathing suits, 2 coverups, 1 pair of flip flops or mules. 4 pair of capris (2 khaki 2 black) that can be laundered if needed. And assorted tops (not more than 6) to go with these. 2 pair of casual shoes/sandals (1 black, 1 brown or bronze).

This, plus my "embarkation" outfit of black pants and a top dressy enough to wear to dinner if need be. And I wear it for debarking as well.

For European cruise: substitute pants for the capris (same colors), and mix and match sweaters, shells, and shirts for 6-7 different looks. Subtract two bathing suits and 1 coverup, add warm-up suit (for cooler climates). And travel with all-purpose black microfiber coat (if needed).

For land-based travel in Europe, I leave out the bathing suit, coverup, and warm-up suit and the formal clothes. I take an extra pair (or two) of black pants and skip the khakis. I use scarves and mix and match pieces to vary my looks. Two pair of good walking shoes are essential.

I'm often ditzy, but I can't understand why anyone would try to cut down!:confused: I love to 'dress up'! Sometimes when I'm on a cruise, I'll wear three outfits in a day, just because I can. I love the shopping and the getting ready and the planning and the packing--even when it's 'too much'. I especially love deciding what to wear to dinner or on an excursion or to lounge by the pool on board. Maybe I'm weird.....:eek:

Robin

I'm in agreement 100%! I LOVE dressing up, and I have so many cute clothes. Plus, I love to shop and can't turn down a good deal. I stopped at Ann Taylor on my way home tonight and got a $228 dress for $39! You can't beat that! Of course, I am going to have to get it shortened. I'm able to get a day outfit (sundresses), a dinner/show dress, a "going out" type outfit, and workout clothes for each day of the cruise, plus my shoes and toiletries in one suitcase and still be under the weight limit for airlines. Packing/unpacking hardly takes me any time.

I use the Ziploc Big Bags (2.5 gallons) to pack my stuff in. Doesn't wrinkle at all. Highly recommend them, and I just leave them in my suitcase to reuse the next time!

Ziplock packing - Fold clothes so that they are neat and unwrinkled - such as: a few tee shirts, shorts, underwear so they are stacked up - put them in bag and close bag almost shut then roll to get air out. Makes a very small package - I smooth out the plastic.

I haven't had anything wrinkle - I unpack completely on the ship and then as clothes are worn, I put them back in the bags and back in a suitcase (as long as nothing is damp).

This has been the beggest suitcase space saver yet and we have never gone over the 50# limit either. Not just clothes, but I use them for all the odds and ends we take - great for breakables too. Enjoy! Jan

I put everything in the Ziplocs. It's great. I had a new dress for my cruise a few weeks ago that was a huge PITA to iron. It was perfect when I took it out of the 2.5 gallon bag.

I follow the same steps as Jan. And like I said previously, the bags just stay in the suitcase for the next trip.

I must be doing something wrong when it comes to packing in ziploc bags, because everything comes out a wrinkled mess. I thought it was from compressing the air out, my clothes always get wrinkles when they are squished.

But, I do use the ziploc bag method for things I don't worry about wrinkling. Like underwear, bathing suits, pareos, pajamas. They also come in handy to bring damp bathing suits home and I use them to pack used underthings for the trip home, I don't want the whole caseload of clothing smelling like dirty underwear :eek:

A few people mentioned that they don't understand why anyone wants to pack lighter. I think after having done it both ways, I can vouch for the simpler method of packing light. Less to pack means easier packing, fewer wrinkles (because the clothing isn't squished) easier organization when you're on vacation. Getting ready for dinner or the day is easier, no hard decisions to make, because there is not so much to choose from (not seen as a hardship to me). Easier to repack the night before disembarkation, no need for extra suitcases or over packed suitcases that burst their zippers. Not as much laundry/dry cleaning when you get home.

It was a bit scary the first time I packed lighter, but after each successive trip, I find it easier. The key is to pack pieces that can be worn at least 2-3 times each. I can guarantee that no one will realize you have the same clothes on that you wore a few days prior. With the 2500+ pax of todays ships, I have times when we are disembarking that I'm seeing pax for the very first time. Other than a few tables around us in the evening, I have no idea what all the other women onboard are wearing to dinner. You don't have to only wear black, either, any other color combination will do. I have a friend who packs only clothing in brown, beige, cinnamon and gold. She is one of my most stylish friends and looks gorgeous every night.

Unless a persons clothing is so unusual that it draws attention, or dressed in something so different than the rest of the crowd (think jeans and T when everyone else is in formal attire) I doubt too many people will remember your clothes when you exit the room. There are exceptions to the rule. I do appreciate expensive clothes (although I can't afford them), I'll recognize them and admire from afar, I might remember something like that. But, like another thread here on the Fashion Board, most people (including myself) shop at pretty much the same stores, so most of the clothing worn onboard a cruise ship is fairly average (to me).

I love to shop and I have more clothes than I could possibly need in life, but for vacation I like the lower stress version of dressing.

Happy KS and I seem to have the same difficulty with ziplock bags keeping clothes from wrinkling. The minute you fold clothing, it's already creased...this is not helped by trying to get the items into the bag and seems like a lot of extra work...to say nothing of trying to squeeze out the air.

My friends and I tissue paper our clothes...that is, we lay the garment face down, put a couple of pieces of tissue paper on top and then fold it in the usual manner. The tissue keeps things from creasing and is not affected by humidity and/or heat as some items packed in plastic bags might be. After your clothing is "tissue papered," lay or stack them in your suitcase. I have lived out of a suitcase at times and do not unpack clothes until I'm ready to wear them and this method has always kept my clothes from wrinkling.

I preplan everything I'm going to pack. I keep a prepacked cosmetics bag filled with miniatures of everything I need. I make sure that it's full. Check your ship to see what's provided so you don't pack things that are already there. I bring one outfit for each day and one for each night. 2 bathing suits so one is always dry. I try to wear shoes more than once if I can. I try on everything I'm going to wear 2 weeks before I go to make sure everything fits and to see if anything needs to be cleaned and/or repaired. I have a packing list for the rest of the stuff so I won't forget anything. I do my packing the night before and put the most easily wrinkled stuff in last.

I am still panicking a bit about what to pack, but these posts are really helping a LOT. Thank you!

Ziplocs are great and so are the plastic bags with zips that sheets or curtains are packaged in. On our last trip I used one for each person's underwear, one for belts, one for misc small stuff like chargers and computer cords...I had some that were just the right size for t-shirts and capris, which was GREAT. After a 12 hour trip to China my clothes were not all wrinkled and smashed into one corner of the suitcase. "Fold marks" rather than wrinkles. LOL

I also like using plastic bags because it keeps cleaner when customs opens the bag to look inside.

I am still panicking a bit about what to pack, but these posts are really helping a LOT. Thank you!

Ziplocs are great and so are the plastic bags with zips that sheets or curtains are packaged in. On our last trip I used one for each person's underwear, one for belts, one for misc small stuff like chargers and computer cords...I had some that were just the right size for t-shirts and capris, which was GREAT. After a 12 hour trip to China my clothes were not all wrinkled and smashed into one corner of the suitcase. "Fold marks" rather than wrinkles. LOL

I also like using plastic bags because it keeps cleaner when customs opens the bag to look inside.

I'm a fan of packing folders and cubes:

http://www.ebags.com/travel_accessories/packing_aids/packing_folders_cubes/category_search/index.cfm?Ne=100&N=4001+20011226&seeall=true

While more costly than Ziploc bags, you can keep them forever. I like the fact that the packing folders have the folding board, you fold and stack, then the board slips right into the pocket behind the clothing, to keep it straight and not crunched up. The cubes are great for all kinds of items, from socks, undies, books and papers, anything else you don't want falling out of your bag if it should be selected for inspection.

Mine have mesh covers, an inspector can see what's in it and not have to touch our things.

I use one for each family member, we all have our own color. It's easy for unpacking, I can do one color at a time, instead of the fiasco of sorting clothes for everyone. We cross pack clothes in each others suitcase, in the event one suitcase goes on a different trip than the one we're on.:)

I use an assortment of folders, cubes and always line the bottom and top of the case with Ziploc bags, for the return trip home.

Archived