What would YOU want to ask Dan Hanrahan about Azamara??

LauraS

Hi, just to reiterate Laura's post -- I'm interviewing Dan; it's been moved to Tuesday morning so the earliest we will have the Q&A launched will be Tuesday, later in the afternoon and it could be Wednesday morning. Bear with us.

These are great questions --

I doubt he'll have time to address Celebrity-related stuff unless it directly relates to Azamara. This really is about Azamara. But I think we'll all learn a lot....

Best,

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

Laura, I was wondering about this thread. Are these questions

actually going to be posed to Dan?

Will it be live, in person? What type of interaction will take place?

Thanks.

Why are Azamara's personal wine & alcohol policies so restrictive (e.g., two bottles of personal wine may be brought aboard only at embarkation)? Azamara is marketed as a "deluxe", port-intensive, adult-oriented line. Other non-inclusive deluxe/luxury lines (Oceania and Crystal, for example) do not restrict wine and spirits brought aboard. At Azamara's high per diems, additional revenue from alcohol sales should not have the same priority that it does on a mass market line such as Celebrity.

Why did you decide to launch a "deluxe" line with passengers expecting a traditional Celebrity experience? Didn't that ensure that many passengers would be disappointed that they were not getting the type of cruise they were expecting, leading to negative reviews and word-of-mouth?

I just booked the Quest to go to Asia. As an elite celebrity member there are NO perks, Im told I can't get a one catogory upgrade or anything other then a normal cruise credit. My question is how come the status in the captains Club isn't carried across to Azamara as stated in all the literature and their web site? The asian Itinary sounds fabulos and I'm anxious to sail on a smaller passenger ship again.

Why is the room sevice breakfast for non suite passengers limited to"Continental"?If you are charging premium prices ,don'you think CC category breakfast should be offered ?

Hi, just to reiterate Laura's post -- I'm interviewing Dan; it's been moved to Tuesday morning so the earliest we will have the Q&A launched will be Tuesday, later in the afternoon and it could be Wednesday morning. Bear with us.

These are great questions --

I doubt he'll have time to address Celebrity-related stuff unless it directly relates to Azamara. This really is about Azamara. But I think we'll all learn a lot....

Best,

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

Thanks Caroyln,:) maybe you could suggest to Dan another

interview then? (at a later date) as it seems there are many

folks from the "Regular Celebrity Line" that have questions

for him too.

i, too, am very curious about if they will expand breakfast options to the non suite people. we were happily spoiled by celebrity and booked two sunset veranda cabins just for the bigger balcony to enjoy breakfast .

Lois, I think your question's an interesting one. I don't think there's a whole lot they can do with Azamara (though they did increase the number of cabins for disabled passengers from what they were on Renaissance).

I know that in the Celebrity Century renovation the additions they made for folks with disabilities were impressive; for instance they created a treatment room in the spa totally geared to their special needs.

What specifically would you like to see on Journey, in terms of accommodating those with disabilities?

Carolyn

Yes, they can but will you, Mr. Hanrahan? We're booked on the Journey Oct 27 Cape Liberty to Miami. I am just booking shore excursions online this time. Waiting to book onboard has always been a loosing proposition in my experience. I've found most the 'special needs' reps at RCCL to be rude and totally ignorant of what is available in ports visited. What I assume we will like is smaller ship equals smaller vehicles for excursions and minivans are accessible to most non-walkers. We are busy and sometimes it's nice to just sign on to an excursion. Other times when I can I like planning excursions for us (us is me and the DH plus up to 16 able bodied friends. I have brought them to Celebrity so it's not like I'm asking a lot in return).

And yes, why can't one salon chair be moveable and one treatment room have a wider door? Get an occupational therapist to look at measurements and cabin layouts before renovations. They specialize in making things accessible and safe. They can also save you money along the way.

BTW Baltimore would love to host the Celebrity Galaxy again.

Once we get Azamara tackled, we'll take a fresh look at Celebrity. Thanks, Lois.

Carolyn

Thanks Caroyln,:) maybe you could suggest to Dan another

interview then? (at a later date) as it seems there are many

folks from the "Regular Celebrity Line" that have questions

for him too.

LauraS tells me there aren't any Connections parties on Azamara, at this time. (Even though Spengler said they had one on the Journey. Very confusing.)

How come? Why did they let us register and then pull the plug?

Bodger

Carolyn, in addition to queries about the solo passenger supplement, could you please ask why port and other taxes are also doubled by Celebrity (and perhaps Azamara)? Alaska charges $50 tax per passenger, yet I have to pay $100. For whom am I paying the other $50 ... is Celebrity pocketing this? I understand that Holland-America and other cruise lines doesn't charge double on taxes for solo passengers.

Thanks, Carolyn.

Donald.

Another question:

From many reviews we learn that many people are dissatisfied and dissapointed with the Royal suites and Penthouses. They seem not redone or remodeled.

Furthermore people describe them as "Worn" and "Shabby"

Are there any plans to refurbish and remodel these TOP END suites as well ? If not, why was chosen to not keep them as they were ?

Carolyn, in addition to queries about the solo passenger supplement, could you please ask why port and other taxes are also doubled by Celebrity (and perhaps Azamara)? Alaska charges $50 tax per passenger, yet I have to pay $100. For whom am I paying the other $50 ... is Celebrity pocketing this? I understand that Holland-America and other cruise lines doesn't charge double on taxes for solo passengers.

Thanks, Carolyn.

Donald.

Are you getting the $50 difference back as a OBC?

Are you getting the $50 difference back as a OBC?

Last year my travel agent told me that I would be paying double the Alaskan tax, but this afternoon I re-checked my invoice for next month's cruise and found that I am charged just once. Either my travel agent made an error, or Celebrity changed its policy.:) I withdraw my question to Mr. Hanrahan.

The solo passenger supplement still needs to be reduced or assessed on a sliding scale according to booking frequency. I've been cruising six times a year lately and it's ridiculous that I am paying 12 fares instead of six. How about 200% first time, 175% 2nd time, 150% 3rd time and so on down to 100% by the end of the year, and start all over again in the next year? This would encourage repeat business.

Donald.

That Single Supplement? Why not...for example....

135% across the board?:)

That would be help those of us who sail solo all the time!

135% solo supplement across the board sounds like a much simpler system than mine. But, why wouldn't cruise lines design their ships to include maybe a dozen or two-dozen single cabins??? If Paris Hilton can spend 23 days in a prison cell, so also can we spend a week or two in a single cabin. I do not need to pay for a second bed. On the old Westerdam in 1999 I stayed in one of the single cabins (with a folding upper berth) and it was just fine.

Donald.

We have been on 3 of Celebrity's ships (Infinity, Summit and Xpedition) and loved everything about our cruises. I would like to book a 2008 cruise on the Quest - when will pictures of cabins and the ship be posted on the website? We are considering the September 13, 2008 departure from Rome on the Quest for our 10 year anniversary and want to make sure we book the right cabin for this very special occassion. Can you help with my decision?

Thank you for your time ... Katie

Frankly, and while understanding the contemporary economics of double occupancy, I think the cruise lines are incredibly short sighted (most of 'em) when it comes to solo travelers. It wasn't all that long ago that lines did incorporate cabins for singles into the mix (QE 2 is one of the few remaining). Swan Hellenic was great about that, alas. We'll wait for that Phoenix to rise....

I'm still learning much about the UK lines but was quite impressed to hear from the folks at Fred.Olsen that not only do they have cabins for solo travelers, they also design the interiors with them in mind (i.e. remove the second bed and put a nice couch or comfy armchair in place). The purpose, according to the executive I met, was to make passengers traveling alone feel most comfortable.

Otherwise, I think the best bet is to be flexible if you can and wait for the one month-from-sailing sails -- when cruise lines don't care about missing out on the supplements. Sad, though.

Carolyn

135% solo supplement across the board sounds like a much simpler system than mine. But, why wouldn't cruise lines design their ships to include maybe a dozen or two-dozen single cabins??? If Paris Hilton can spend 23 days in a prison cell, so also can we spend a week or two in a single cabin. I do not need to pay for a second bed. On the old Westerdam in 1999 I stayed in one of the single cabins (with a folding upper berth) and it was just fine.

Donald.

Hi, just checking in to let you know interview took place today, lots of great information imparted, and it will take me a bit longer than I'd hoped to distill it into a Q&A. So instead of tonight or Wednesday we're planning (seriously, we're committed to) launching the Q&A on Thursday. Most likely later in the afternoon.

Your questions were fantastic and thanks so much for your contributions. Dan Hanrahan had many compliments to give to members of Cruise Critic --

And his answers were fascinating in many cases so do stay tuned. And sorry for the delay :o

I'll ask Laura to post a link on the Azamara board when the piece is launched but you can also just check Today on Cruise Critic on the home page...that's where it will be.

Carolyn

Hi, just checking in to let you know interview took place today, lots of great information imparted, and it will take me a bit longer than I'd hoped to distill it into a Q&A. So instead of tonight or Wednesday we're planning (seriously, we're committed to) launching the Q&A on Thursday. Most likely later in the afternoon.

Your questions were fantastic and thanks so much for your contributions. Dan Hanrahan had many compliments to give to members of Cruise Critic --

And his answers were fascinating in many cases so do stay tuned. And sorry for the delay :o

I'll ask Laura to post a link on the Azamara board when the piece is launched but you can also just check Today on Cruise Critic on the home page...that's where it will be.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn !

Thank you. I am looking forward to hearing what Mr. Hanrahan has to say !

Thanks, Carolyn. I'm really interested since I just returned from Journey and booked Quest while onboard. I'll be sending my trip report soon. Looking forward to the information you'll be sharing on Thursday!

I didn't address this in my interview with Hanrahan (sorry, it was the most important thing that I forgot) but did follow up and the word is...hang tight. The line's still in fledgling state and (my hunch and my hunch only) is that, once all other aspects are organized, Azamara will embrace the Connections concept. But as I said, that's my hunch. Stay tuned (and patience is appreciated).

Carolyn

LauraS tells me there aren't any Connections parties on Azamara, at this time. (Even though Spengler said they had one on the Journey. Very confusing.)

How come? Why did they let us register and then pull the plug?

Bodger

Archived