Do you buy all new clothes each cruise?

oraf7

Sometimes I buy a few new things for a cruise, others not.

I never realized that people don't like to take the formal photos in the same outfits over time. I never really thought about that. As long as I am comfortable and an outfit still looks good, it doesn't bother me.

One of my all time favorite dresses however had to be retired....she'd been on one too many cruises!!!

Formal wear is the only thing I buy specifically for a cruise because that's the only place I'll be wearing any of it. But I keep my eyes peeled for great deals all year long, even when I don't have a cruise booked. Now DH has suits, and he wears the same ones.

My goal is to have my picture taken with every Captain in the RCI fleet in the same formal dress.

I'm just kidding. Sort of....

I don't buy new clothes just for cruising - I have plenty of stuff that I only wear crusing so it will last me a good long time. I'm ok with the idea of being a Glamour "don't."

No one on the vessel has seen your old clothes before.

You will never see these people again in your life.

So bring and wear your old clothes and throw them away after using them.

Makes for a very light suit case coming home.

Also an excellent chance to clean out your closets.

I see this written occasionally. I have a hard time thinking this would work for me, because once my clothes get "old" enough, I wear them to work. Once I wear them to work, they get stained, bleach spots and sometimes start to look frayed (at the hem, seams will start to fail).

I'm not one who would be comfortable wearing old clothing that is ready for the trash on a luxury cruise. But now I think I understand why I do see people (especially at embarkation) who look like they just cleaned the garage.

You don't need a new wardrobe, not even one stitch of new clothing for a cruise. But, I think it's nicer to look decent and not like your clothes are ready for the trash.

Hi:) If things don't fit me or I haven't worn them in a long time

they don't get thrown out.....I donate to Good Will, Salvation Army,

or one of the stores that contributes in helping battered/abused

women and children.

In the past I have also consigned clothing.

But to throw out things that don't fit or that are old? Nope,

that is not for me.

Different strokes for different folks.

On our last cruise, my boys had some like new sandals that just fit for the cruise. They also had some shorts and shirts as well. I left them behind for the crew members to give to their kids. We do the same if we buy any sand toys etc. which would be difficult to bring home.

I buy a few new things for the cruise. For the last cruise I bought some new sundresses as I didn't have many. For my upcoming cruise I bought a new formal dress. My husband always buys a new pair of shoes and some new shorts.

As some of you may know, I came to this board 4 years ago with the complaint that I didn't get the shopping gene and that I hated malls etc. OH how that has changed.

I still don't hit the stores all that frequently but when I do get to the mall, formal clothes on sale always draw my attention. I haven't cruised for almost 3 years and my size is not exactly the same. Most of my day wear is fairly new but was bought for daily use here at home. My formal or dressy wear is in need of a couple of pieces and I'm on the lookout for those now. Thanks for the tip about consignment and thrift shops. I'm headed there tomorrow :rolleyes:

The first Caribbean cruise I went on, I bought a LOT of new things. Including formal wear. I've been on one Caribbean cruise since and the only new thing I bought was a new formal gown. I'm going on my third Caribbean cruise in November and once again I found a new gown (I see a trend here). You know where else you can find cute sun dresses? Ebay! I got one on there that is so sixties. Also found a couple of pretty Gunne Sax dresses I wear on elegant formal evenings. But for the most part, the things I got for my April 2006 cruise are pretty new, anyway. Now I just have to lose the weight I've gained since then....to get back into them again!

Jane :rolleyes:

I actually have a whole bunch of stuff that I never wear anywhere BUT onboard a cruise (cocktail wear, swimsuits, certain shorts etc.). I've complied it over the course of the past 3 years and it's pretty timeless stuff. Can't think of one new thing I'd need to get for next time.

BTW, we actually make a point of having a portrait taken on every cruise with the pair of us wearing the same clothes; a little dorkey:o maybe but it's made for some fun memories for us!

Happy Sails,

Annette

Annette, I just have to say I love your screen name because that's our names! We're another couple of Ron and Annette's!! How funny is that! Just had to comment on that! Annette

No one on the vessel has seen your old clothes before.

You will never see these people again in your life.

So bring and wear your old clothes and throw them away after using them.

Makes for a very light suit case coming home.

Also an excellent chance to clean out your closets.

Indeed, a very wasteful practice. One could clean out the closets well ahead of vacation and either place the items in a consignment shop if they are still quite wearable or, perhaps, donate them to a local thrift shop whose proceeds benefit a worthy charitable cause.

I can see the wear it and pitch it mentality for underwear but not for any other apparel.

I do not buy a new wardrobe for each and every cruise and/or vacation ... I try to buy classic rather than trendy goods and I can get many, many years out of them. Yes, I may buy a new item or two before vacation, but always stuff that I can wear around town, to work, or to functions. We work too hard for our money to just throw away good stuff and replace it all with more stuff that we will pitch. Further, I can't imagine anything worse than vacationing in clothes that are on their last wearable threads.

Hi:) If things don't fit me or I haven't worn them in a long time

they don't get thrown out.....I donate to Good Will, Salvation Army,

or one of the stores that contributes in helping battered/abused

women and children.

In the past I have also consigned clothing.

But to throw out things that don't fit or that are old? Nope,

that is not for me.

Different strokes for different folks.

I am glad that someone does this. I'm sure many people do but I see so many people just be wasteful.

We were having this debate over being in pictures with the same clothes as the last cruise. So do you think about this and buy all new clothes for each trip?? I don't want the same dressed in my formal pics but how about the rest of the trip??

I certainly agree with you. We like to buy pictures on our trips as a

remembrance. I really don't want to have pictures with the same outfit on for different trips; however, I have more formal clothes than is practical.

This is how we have resolved the issue the last few years. We have pictures taken on other nights in addition to formal nights. The less formal pictures are terriffic. These picture sessions are a lot more fun than the formal shots. My farorites are on the white screen with no shoes and the head shots. The photographers work with longer on these venues.

We are not fans of the candid shot that most of the cruise lines "push" on you!!!!!! It seems the only ones we ever get of these are the free ones we have coupons for.

We were having this debate over being in pictures with the same clothes as the last cruise. So do you think about this and buy all new clothes for each trip?? I don't want the same dressed in my formal pics but how about the rest of the trip??

I'll usually buy a few new things for the cruise like a new bathing suit, some new shorts, etc. I can never find a nice new formal outfit though - I just don't like what the stores are showing these days so I guess I have to recycle or mix 'n' match! It tends to be a bit boring if you have to get your picture taken in the same formal outfits though (even though the people you meet have never seen you in those clothes before)! Since Robinson's-May was bought out by Macy's (here in So Cal), it's not the same - higher priced clothing and junky looking in most of the stores near me! Anyone got any good store ideas?

Laurie

• 2 weeks later...

My family and I will be on the RCC Adventure of the Seas on July 29...only a few weeks away. Do most people wear the long formal style dresses on formal nights or "the little black dress" cocktail style dresses? We did a Carnival cruise last year and I don't think I saw one person wear a long dress. Since this is a different cruise line, I didn't know what I'd see more of.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Tracy

I am only packing black and white so no matter what I grab it will go. I pack 4 pairs of shoes different height heels and its very easy. It;s just too difficult trying to pack all the shoes and accessories to match the different outfits so I just plan my wardrobe around these two colors.

I TRY to buy only what I need, with maybe one splurge item (notice I said TRY). I need one new swimsuit this year - my other one is 3 yrs old but still good. I have worn the same formal the last two cruises, so looking to replace them both at a good price (found one for the 2nd night already at $50.00). Also need new black dress sandals - old ones broke. I could not afford to cruise if I had to buy an entire new wardrobe each time, LOL!:p

I like to take a mix of old and new. I usually get a couple of new pairs of shorts and some tops for on the islands, and 1 new 'formal' outfit. For the rest of it i'm happy with my regular day to day clothes. Mind you, I do update the wardrobe semi-regularly so that keeps me happy :D I always feel fresh and new when i'm in new clothes on holiday :D

next week is our first alaska cruise after about ten in the caribbean. my sun dresses and swimsuits just aren't the thing! and my sacramento wardrobe won't keep me warm in the cooler rainy alaska. I have been in over my head trying to figure out what to wear on deck and shopping the most for this cruise since my first one... I did find a beautiful new formal, hadn't got a new one in several cruises, and hope I won't be the only one in a long dress. Looking forward to a "new" formal pix.

I bought a few new things but I pretty much had a whole new wardrobe since I started college last year:p

I know what you mean about being in the same clothes for pictures. My dad has the polo shirt that he loves and for some reason everytime he wears it there's a photo op and he gets snapped.

We have 3....one for my senior homecoming, one for a company picnic, and the other for college move in day.....he was not ALLOWED to bring that shirt on the cruise:p

Archived