RCCL, Canada, DUI's- memo

Per t/c with RCCL-per memo dated May 23, 2007 from Capt. Newhoff (sp?? capt. of RCCL fleet)- if you have had a DUI less than 10 years ago or have ever had a felony conviction you will not be permitted to enter Canada or board your ship.

FYI- Although this doesn't apply to me only because of the time frame I was unaware of Canada's dui policy and it may still ruin my trip. Just wanted to give others a heads up as this is where I found out about it originally (not from RCCL or my TA!)

lived the whole thing still not allowed into canada! they are also looking at misdemeanor charges for pot,theft,shoplifting ect. ect. i paid 200.00 and sent in police,fbi,finger prints,three signed letters from mayor,clergyman,police man, copy passport,two pass port pictures,copy driver lic.,copy of completed favorable treatment papers, to detroit consulate and the answer DENIED so if you have anything on your record you better check with canadian web site and check it out beforehand or you may be denied good luck!

if you have had a DUI less than 10 years ago or have ever had a felony conviction you will not be permitted to enter Canada or board your ship.

Holy Cow . . . actually, according to jimbulger's link, it's even stricter that that!! Check this out:

Almost all convictions (including DUI, DWI, reckless driving, negligent driving, misdemeanour drug possession, all felonies, domestic violence (assault IV), shoplifting, theft, etc) make a person inadmissible to Canada, regardless of how long ago they occurred.

If it's been longer than 10 years, you are eligible (but not guaranteed) to be "deemed rehabilitated." Pretty harsh, and I certainly feel for those who are going to pay a very long-term price for a bad decision. :o

But I have to say . . . if this stops even one person from getting behind the wheel when they have no business being there, I'm all for it! In my uncle's memory. :(

If you follow the link it is quite clear this has nothing to do with a tourist visiting Canada. Consulate General Seattle :: TEMPORARY RESIDENT PERMITS / CRIMINAL REHABILITATION :: Instructions & Application Form.

The below link explains who needs a temporary visa, and who doesn't

CIC Canada | Countries/Territories Requiring Visas

If you follow the link it is quite clear this has nothing to do with a tourist visiting Canada. Consulate General Seattle :: TEMPORARY RESIDENT PERMITS / CRIMINAL REHABILITATION :: Instructions & Application Form.

The below link explains who needs a temporary visa, and who doesn't

CIC Canada | Countries/Territories Requiring Visas

Although you won't need a visa, you still can't enter Canada. If you go to the link provided earlier, and go back a page (click on the visas and immigration section), it makes it clear that this applies to BOTH those wishing to visit, and those wishing to become a temporary resident. The following link tells exactly who is inadmissable, and what you need to do:

http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/seattle/visas/inadmissible-en.asp

lets stick to what the OP started this thread for! (bottom line is if you have anything on your record just check it out with canada before purchase of expensive trip of some sort.) not to argue what you can do to fool them with visas and such, it will not work. you may have gotten in before. but how ever, do you really want to take a chance getting questioned by imigration of canada after spending 4or5 thousand on a cruise or trip of a life time. just to be told your denied and turned away as you watch the shadow of the SHIP you were supposed to be on drift away!!!!

I went out and read the site. It doesn't have anything to do with vacationing. It's only in regards to temporary residency and/or visas for immigration purposes. US Citizens are not required to have Visas to enter Canada for vacation. If they didn't let people in for DUI and other offenses mentioned, most of congress couldn't cross the border. If all you are doing is going on a cruise, they aren't going to deny you entry to Canada for that purpose.

I went out and read the site. It doesn't have anything to do with vacationing. It's only in regards to temporary residency and/or visas for immigration purposes. US Citizens are not required to have Visas to enter Canada for vacation. If they didn't let people in for DUI and other offenses mentioned' date=' most of congress couldn't cross the border. If all you are doing is going on a cruise, they aren't going to deny you entry to Canada for that purpose.[/quote']

This has been mentioned on several other threads recently, and people have discussed how they or others in their party were denied entry to Canada due to a DUI or other conviction. The site does discuss both vacationing and immigration.

Direct quote from the site (emphasis mine):

Whether you are planning to visit, work, study or immigrate, if you have committed or been convicted of a criminal offence, you may be prohibited from entering Canada.

Criminal offences include both minor and serious offences such as theft, assault, dangerous driving, driving while intoxicated and manslaughter, among others. For a complete list of criminal offences in Canada, please consult the Canadian Criminal Code.

Wish it was that hard to get into the US

Amen, but I was thinking of the other border :) I frequently enter Canada at the falls for the day, no checking, other than questioning, I tend to think the previous poster had it right, this is for visits requiring a visa.

This has been mentioned on several other threads recently, and people have discussed how they or others in their party were denied entry to Canada due to a DUI or other conviction. The site does discuss both vacationing and immigration.

Whether you are planning to visit, work, study or immigrate, if you have committed or been convicted of a criminal offence, you may be prohibited from entering Canada.

Criminal offences include both minor and serious offences such as theft, assault, dangerous driving, driving while intoxicated and manslaughter, among others. For a complete list of criminal offences in Canada, please consult the Canadian Criminal Code.

But US citizens do not have to apply to enter, so how will they check? Background checks take time, and they are not going to process everyone just crossing in for a visit or on a cruise. It would take a long time to check all 2000 people on a cruise, so I cant see how this is feasible.

I am not saying the site does not state that, just that it makes no sense. If you do not have to apply for a visa to enter, they are not going to have time to check.

I have no plans of going to Canada and have nothing to stop me if it came down to it but just trying to make sense of this.

But US citizens do not have to apply to enter, so how will they check? Background checks take time, and they are not going to process everyone just crossing in for a visit or on a cruise. It would take a long time to check all 2000 people on a cruise, so I cant see how this is feasible.

I am not saying the site does not state that, just that it makes no sense. If you do not have to apply for a visa to enter, they are not going to have time to check.

I have no plans of going to Canada and have nothing to stop me if it came down to it but just trying to make sense of this.

I do see what you say about it making no sense, that they don't process everyone just crossing in over the LAND border. Living in Michigan, so close to the Windsor border, I've crossed frequently, and they've never done more than glanced at the passport. However, when reading the reports about that man from Atlanta that came in through Montreal in order to avoid the checks, there was some mention of his passport being swiped at the Canadian border (maybe at the airport??), and that his was flagged. So, maybe they check airplane and cruiseship passengers more closely??

I requoted my own post and highlighted a different section (in blue) that says "may be" prohibited. So, if they were to check as you entered, then you could be stopped. And if you were checking into a cruiseship in Canada, then your passport will be doublechecked there, which could cause that flag. I don't know - just considering possibilities.

Thank goodness, it doesn't apply to me either. I would just hate, as a poster above said, for someone to pay $$$$ for a cruise, and then be out that amount - I don't think this would be covered by cruise insurance, as missing a visa for other countries isn't covered.

-Cathy

23 years ago I was foolish and young and received a DUI. I have been to Canada 3 times in the last 2 years. I just returned from Canada and had no problem. They never ask me if I have had convictions.

The questions they usually ask are:

1) Reason for coming to Canada and how long will you be here?

2) Are you entering with fire arms etc?

3) Are you entering with tobacco or alchol?

For my visits I have entered via the airport 2 years ago for a northbound cruise, once over the border via car. And this past Friday I entered via RCCL Radiance of the Seas.

Of course mine was 23 years ago and was a misdemeanor. Maybe it does not appear on my record anymore. However each time I have entered Canada it was in a long "process" line so maybe they "herd" everyone on through without checking.

Good luck to those you have been convicted of a DUI when you were young and foolish. I know for me even though it has been 23 years I am still mad at myself for my actions. Thank-goodness I did not get into an accident. You do learn life's lessons the hard way sometimes.

here a quick quote

"People say, 'I've been going to Canada for 20 years and never had a problem,' '' Lesperance says. "It's classic. I say, 'Well, you've been getting away with it for 20 years.' '' A prior record has always made it difficult to cross the border. What you probably didn't know was that, as the Canadian Consulate's Web site says, "Driving while under the influence of alcohol is regarded as an extremely serious offense in Canada.'' read the web site post then you just may agree with what i have to say. check it out before you go!!

I was kind of stressed about it, but by the time we found out about the new restrictions in March, it was too late too do anything about it. Stupid, young, 20 years ago DUI. I did contact the consulate in SF, and they referred me to the website of the Canadian consulate in Los Angeles. It has an outstanding FAQ online.

http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/los_angeles/menu-en.asp?lang_update=1

I was a little stressed, but we entered Canada without any problems in early May. A little further research showed that in California, you are eligible to have a previous conviction expunged from your record, after 10 years of completion of the sentence (probation). Expungement doesn't totally hide it, but it does allow you to enter Canada...not that we have any plans to do so again in the near future. I would just as soon as go through the process of clearing my minor record here, rather than getting a little used rehabilitation certificate from Canada. :)

I really find it hard to believe that a Canadian Mounty is going to be asking every disembarking passenger off every ship visiting a port for the day if they've ever had a DUI. I think the rules you are referring to do not apply to cruise ship passengers visiting Canadian ports.

the grumpus its not that they will ask everyone leaving the ship into canada,its that in todays world we have computers that will run a ships manifest in a matter of mins. and they have to send iteniarys ahead of time. go ahead and think you can hide it but don't stand there and holler when you get caught this is just to let people know that if you think you have some things get them checked out! check out this site it explains what could happen to you!! http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/02/23/MNGCAO9NSB1.DTL

this just can't be right. I understand if you want a visa or some kind of temporary/permanent residency... but if you're only on vacation? no way!

btw, I've entered Canada by car on vacation and was never asked about convictions or driving offenses (nor do I have any) but still, how in the world would they check unless you're stupid enough to 'volunteer' the information?

check out this site it explains what could happen to you!!http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/02/23/MNGCAO9NSB1.DTL

As stated above... go read! In part it says:

So it isn't as if rules have stiffened. But what has changed is the way the information is gathered. In the wake of 9/11, Canada and the United States formed a partnership that has dramatically increased "the data mining'' system at the border.

The Smart Border Action Plan, as it is known, combines Canadian intelligence with extensive U.S. Homeland Security information. The partnership began in 2002, but it wasn't until recently that the system was refined. ...They can now call up anything that your state trooper in Iowa can.

Archived