Bayonne NJ Hotels Park and Cruise

Rako20

New Jersey area and goes up to visit. Has stayed at the Hyatt and says it's very nice.

Do you know what star rating it is on Priceline?

I would think it's a 4 star but maybe not???

I always try Priceline while making a back up res. for a hotel when we travel. If I get lucky and win it on Priceline then I can cancel my back res. at the other hotel.

The Hyatt Regency on the Hudson in Jersey City is a 3 star in the Jersey City zone of Priceline.. I also do the same with a backup

Can I ask where you book for a back up?

thanks

So far I have not booked a backup..we do not sail unitl April 25/08. I can't seem to find anything reasonable so far. I was hoping I would just hit the jackpot this early out on Priceline.:D I have to report I have bid 3 times so far for this zone starting at $68, then $75 and today I tried $80 and have no luck.

I think I am just too early but hey if I hit this early I won't have to worry about a back up... the 3 stars in this zone Hyatt Regency and Doubletree seem to go in the $65 - 90 range according to bidding for travel.

so I guess we have time too :rolleyes:

I just like to be able to plain - especially being I'm booking for 3 couples.

Thanks for the info that you've already researhed on the Hyatt - even 90.00 is a great rate in that area.

Good Luck!!!

so I guess we have time too :rolleyes:

I just like to be able to plain - especially being I'm booking for 3 couples.

Thanks for the info that you've already researhed on the Hyatt - even 90.00 is a great rate in that area.

Good Luck!!!

Trying to book for three couples on Priceline may be a disaster in the making. You may not all get the same hotel, most likely you won't get the same rate. And you may not get availability on the SAME days. That would really be a bad deal-one couple paying $85, one couple paying $95 and one couple paying full rack rate of about $250+, as there are no more Priceline rooms available for bid. How would you sort that one out???? Someone is surely going to be PO'd, unless they are all family.

For more than one hotel room, Priceline is NOT the best way to go.

I would love to be able to do that, BUT I am trying to book a 'group'! I've received some really nice 'bids', but have had no good responses from CC'ers on ANYTHING in the Newark area.. :( I'll keep plugging away...:p

The Newark airport area hotels (Marriott, Hilton, etc) are all standard business class hotels. Nothing special and no place to go in the area. You will eat at the hotel, unless you are brave enough to walk to the diner (about 1 mile going towards US 1 & 9).

Anything outside the airport area proper gets into "truck stop" motels, complete with scantily clad ladies of the evening. The door knocks at 10:00PM ARE NOT the turn down service. I own a trucking company-my drivers won't even stay in any of the motels around the airport area. Too much chance of getting our trucks broken into.

For your sanity, please look at the Meadowlands area. A little further from the pier, but safe, with things to do-Secaucus mall, with a food court, movies, shopping, etc. And easy access to NYC. The bus no longer stops outside the Sheraton, but the Sheraton Meadowlands has a shuttle to the train or bus stop to NYC.

The Hyatt or Doubletree in Jersey City are very nice. Have they gotten back to you with a "group" quote?

Trying to book for three couples on Priceline may be a disaster in the making. You may not all get the same hotel, most likely you won't get the same rate. And you may not get availability on the SAME days. That would really be a bad deal-one couple paying $85, one couple paying $95 and one couple paying full rack rate of about $250+, as there are no more Priceline rooms available for bid. How would you sort that one out???? Someone is surely going to be PO'd, unless they are all family.

For more than one hotel room, Priceline is NOT the best way to go.

I have bid on Priceline for more than one room at a time more than once..you can bid up to 4 rooms at the same time..same price bid and same location... if you are successful everyone gets the same hotel for the same dates..the one thing is one credit card is used so I usually know the couples well and they just pay me after.

just make sure you all want to stay the same number of days and the dates match... if so not a problem. It has worked for me

Here's a link that MAY allow you to book the rooms you need at a price you want. http://groups.hotel-guides.us/newark-liberty-international-airport-nj-group-reservations.html

I would include Jersey City and Meadowlands as well as the airport location to see what you can get.

Thank you for this link..this may be another option for me. Although I will be trying on Priceline for a room for myself there are many others on my roll call that might want to stay at the same hotel at a good rate. A group rate may be the way to go.

Off to check this out :)

I have bid on Priceline for more than one room at a time more than once..you can bid up to 4 rooms at the same time..same price bid and same location... if you are successful everyone gets the same hotel for the same dates..the one thing is one credit card is used so I usually know the couples well and they just pay me after.

just make sure you all want to stay the same number of days and the dates match... if so not a problem. It has worked for me

IF you read the fine print (which is NOT available on the bidding page-it is in the T & C's for general Priceline info), Priceline bidding format DOES NOT guarantee the SAME hotel if you bid for more than one room. When you bid, it APPEARS that you will get the same hotel. But in reality, IF there is no availability for everyone at the same hotel, Priceline has the RIGHT to place the client in any hotel with the same star rating in the same zone. Same dates, same price, but NOT the same hotel.

I just noticed that Priceline has now teamed up with someone to get "group rates". Click the box for 10+ hotel rooms and it will link to a page for group reservations.

IF you read the fine print (which is NOT available on the bidding page-it is in the T & C's for general Priceline info), Priceline bidding format DOES NOT guarantee the SAME hotel if you bid for more than one room. When you bid, it APPEARS that you will get the same hotel. But in reality, IF there is no availability for everyone at the same hotel, Priceline has the RIGHT to place the client in any hotel with the same star rating in the same zone. Same dates, same price, but NOT the same hotel.

I just noticed that Priceline has now teamed up with someone to get "group rates". Click the box for 10+ hotel rooms and it will link to a page for group reservations.

Thank you for the head's up on that one..will go and check out the 'fine print' That is why CC is great to dialogue and share info :)

Okay to do I go to Priceline and look for 'group rates' and click on their site?

TY

That drop down arrow on number of rooms on Priceline that says 10+ is that the same place to get quotes as the link you posted above in a previous post... looks similar. I have already sent in a quote on your earlier link.

Would it be overkill to place a quote for 10+ rooms there as well? :)

TY

That drop down arrow on number of rooms on Priceline that says 10+ is that the same place to get quotes as the link you posted above in a previous post... looks similar. I have already sent in a quote on your earlier link.

Would it be overkill to place a quote for 10+ rooms there as well? :)

TY

It looks to me like it is two different companies. Both are brokers/middlemen.

Priceline's is named FindGroupDeals and the first one I posted is Hotel-Guides-US.

Both probably send requests to the same hotels. But as in everything, you will most likely get very different pricing. I personally would contact as many vendors/brokers/hotels as possible.

It looks to me like it is two different companies. Both are brokers/middlemen.

Priceline's is named FindGroupDeals and the first one I posted is Hotel-Guides-US.

Both probably send requests to the same hotels. But as in everything, you will most likely get very different pricing. I personally would contact as many vendors/brokers/hotels as possible.

Will do... and will come back if anything wonderful comes up:D

Good discussion and suggestions here..thanks to all

The Newark airport area hotels (Marriott, Hilton, etc) are all standard business class hotels. Nothing special and no place to go in the area. You will eat at the hotel, unless you are brave enough to walk to the diner (about 1 mile going towards US 1 & 9).
We are basically looking for a place to grap a 'dinner' the first night, then we'll probably be in NYC most of the second day.. third day is our cruise..:)

We are actually hoping to secure a limo/tour service to pick us up at the hotel for our tour.. Have e-mailed three different 'operators' in the area. Can you make a recommendation??

For your sanity, please look at the Meadowlands area. A little further from the pier, but safe, with things to do-Secaucus mall, with a food court, movies, shopping, etc. And easy access to NYC. The bus no longer stops outside the Sheraton, but the Sheraton Meadowlands has a shuttle to the train or bus stop to NYC.

The Hyatt or Doubletree in Jersey City are very nice. Have they gotten back to you with a "group" quote?

Have not heard from either of these concerning group rates, but have done research and found them on a site called 'groople.com', and have rec'd info and rates from them. I made a mistake on my initial request on the hotels-guide site you posted, and put in a goal of $160.>.. Have only had two bids over that.. Newark Hilton Penn Station at $169., and the Westminster.. ($185., I believe..)

One of our group has stayed at the Holiday Inn Newark Airport, on several occasions, and claims "it's not bad for the $$".. I have contacted them for more info!:D

Thanks for all the info.. GREAT!!

We are basically looking for a place to grap a 'dinner' the first night, then we'll probably be in NYC most of the second day.. third day is our cruise..:)

We are actually hoping to secure a limo/tour service to pick us up at the hotel for our tour.. Have e-mailed three different 'operators' in the area. Can you make a recommendation??

Have not heard from either of these concerning group rates, but have done research and found them on a site called 'groople.com', and have rec'd info and rates from them. I made a mistake on my initial request on the hotels-guide site you posted, and put in a goal of $160.>.. Have only had two bids over that.. Newark Hilton Penn Station at $169., and the Westminster.. ($185., I believe..)

One of our group has stayed at the Holiday Inn Newark Airport, on several occasions, and claims "it's not bad for the $$".. I have contacted them for more info!:D

Thanks for all the info.. GREAT!!

PLEASE don't take a tour from 'Jersey. You will be paying for VERY expensive transportation to get into NYC. You can easily get into NYC via PATH or bus for about $5.00. And with a limo tour, parking can become a problem.

Take a tour if you wish, AFTER you get into the city. Probably the best, IMHO, for first timers is the hop on hop off bus. YOU pick what you want to see and how long you want to stay. But with your limited time and wanting to see the highlights, I would pick the "In a Minute New York" tour. Taken quite a few of my employees who have never been to NYC on that tour and it is always enjoyable.

Statue of Liberty/Harbor Cruise, Empire State Building, and the hop on hop off bus south of Times Square. Here's a whole list of Grayline tours in NYC.

http://www.coachusa.com/info/newyorksightseeing/cs.bestvalue.asp

As for hotels, I have given my opinion. Our office used to be in the Bayonne/Newark area, so am very familiar with the area. I personally will not stay at any of the hotels in the Newark area, EXCEPT the airport hotels (Marriott is my favorite). VERY industrial area, no place to eat EXCEPT the hotel (if you don't have a car) and NOT a place to walk for anything. I do stay at the Sheraton Meadowlands quite a few times a year.

we stayed at this BW for 3 nights in April, room are more than adequate, but can not say the same for the parking lot, we had to be back at the hotel early in order to get a free spot, also knowing that we are sailing from Cape Liberty in April 2008, it was a good opportunity for me to see the long term parking lot at that location, i heard so many horror stories about that place, next April we'll be using the parking at Cape Liberty instead

for your info...

we stayed at this BW for 3 nights in April, room are more than adequate, but can not say the same for the parking lot, we had to be back at the hotel early in order to get a free spot, also knowing that we are sailing from Cape Liberty in April 2008, it was a good opportunity for me to see the long term parking lot at that location, i heard so many horror stories about that place, next April we'll be using the parking at Cape Liberty instead

for your info...

Hello and thanks..I see that you are on the same sailing of Explorer that I am on... have you chosen to stay at the BW Newark again?

No this time we have reserved at the DoubleTree Newark

a step up from the BW, we'll be using the parking at the pier

We aren't (have no need for the parking lot) driving in, but flying, so we are looking for something OK, but within reason price-wise! :p Can you tell me what the rates are at the DoubleTree...?? That is not an airport location, so I'm concerned..:rolleyes:

greatam... Are your tho'ts on the Newark Hilton Penn Station the same as anything 'NOT airport', and is the Holiday Inn OK?? I know I'm 'beating this to death', but... Never been there, so I really need to follow....;) I'll do what you suggest..!!

ps: I was almost ready to pick the Hilton Penn Station or the Courtyard Elizabeth/Newark... the Holiday Inn is next in line..!!

I promise NOT to 'ask again'.. PROMISE!!!:D ;)

We aren't (have no need for the parking lot) driving in, but flying, so we are looking for something OK, but within reason price-wise! :p Can you tell me what the rates are at the DoubleTree...?? That is not an airport location, so I'm concerned..:rolleyes:

greatam... Are your tho'ts on the Newark Hilton Penn Station the same as anything 'NOT airport', and is the Holiday Inn OK?? I know I'm 'beating this to death', but... Never been there, so I really need to follow....;) I'll do what you suggest..!!

ps: I was almost ready to pick the Hilton Penn Station or the Courtyard Elizabeth/Newark... the Holiday Inn is next in line..!!

I promise NOT to 'ask again'.. PROMISE!!!:D ;)

I posted the Hilton is OK. The Courtyard Marriott is south of the airport, so transport into NYC could be a problem. To take the train, you will have to get back to the airport, then take the AirTrain to NJ Penn Station, then transfer to PATH or NJ transit.

Or a pretty darn expensive taxi or limo. Taxi/limo rules in NY/NJ can be a bear. They DO NOT have to take you to NYC. Most will, but they don't HAVE to. And coming back from NYC, the taxi drivers will generally charge double, as they have no authority to pick up pax at the airport, so will return to NYC empty. Please be aware-Marriott's are NON SMOKING nationwide, so if you have any smokers in your group, that is probably not an option. After I posted all that, forget Courtyard. Looks like a bad option to me.

My opinion of the Holiday Inn-one time-1992 IIRC-MAJOR snowstorm and the Jersey turnpike was shut down. Everyone was grabbing rooms as fast as possible. I KNOW it was extenuating circumstances, but there was very little heat and NO hot water. One miserable night. Would have been considerably more comfortable sleeping in one of my semi's. And even in the best of times, if you are speaking about the one by the airport, still a crappy neighborhood. IF you were only flying in and the next day boarding the cruise, OK, just a place to sleep. But you will be there for 2/3 nights. You really do need something more than just a roof over your head. If nothing else, hotel food will get rather boring, not to mention pretty darn expensive.

And check out this page-$25.00 taxi to get to and from the train station AND $90.00 to get to JFK, so figure $70.00 at least to Manhattan. Sure, they have a complimentary train shuttle, but you may be waiting for it. http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/ewria/transportation

The Hilton is very convenient to the PATH train (like right next door). Saves you the expensive limo/taxi/van tour you were speaking of. And there are other restaurants in Gateway Center (or very, very close-1/3 mile or so), so you won't be "stuck" eating at the Hilton. So if those are what you have narrowed it down to (Courtyard, Holiday Inn and Hilton), the Hilton it is.

I am still perplexed why you are insisting on staying around the airport. Almost all the decent hotels within 20 miles have airport shuttles. Your choice, but the airport is in an area that is VERY industrial. So is the port. That is why I keep telling you to go north to Meadowlands. LOTS of things to do there. And Jersey City Hyatt and Doubletree are still other options. I know a lot depends on price, but think the whole thing through. You don't want to end up in a bargain hotel, just to run up a HUGE hotel restaurant/bar bill or large transport bill.

The Hilton is very convenient to the PATH train (like right next door). Saves you the expensive limo/taxi/van tour you were speaking of. And there are other restaurants in Gateway Center (or very, very close-1/3 mile or so), so you won't be "stuck" eating at the Hilton. So if those are what you have narrowed it down to (Courtyard, Holiday Inn and Hilton), the Hilton it is.
WOW! "Ask and you shall receive"!!:D Can't thank you enough for your detailed information and insight!

Personally, I think the Hilton is at the top of 'my' list, but everyone in the group has a vote and we will start narrowing down shortly, as I believe your information has explained the situation very well!

I am still perplexed why you are insisting on staying around the airport. Almost all the decent hotels within 20 miles have airport shuttles. Your choice, but the airport is in an area that is VERY industrial. So is the port. That is why I keep telling you to go north to Meadowlands. LOTS of things to do there. And Jersey City Hyatt and Doubletree are still other options. I know a lot depends on price, but think the whole thing through. You don't want to end up in a bargain hotel, just to run up a HUGE hotel restaurant/bar bill or large transport bill.

I think this paragraph pretty much explains the situation, and clears my head of tho'ts including "best to be close to the pier" or "handy to the airport". Granted a short drive to the airport is nice, but I live in Erie and drive to Buffalo, NY (1 1/2 hours away) for flights, as its easier/more economical in regards to parking rates, choices of flights and airline fares. What seems to be the 'best bet', sometimes isn't! This appears to be the case in the Newark area.

I'm going to revise my bid at the hotel-guide site you mentioned recently, to include the Meadowlands area.. and Jersey City to hopefully receive a 'bid' from the Hyatt or Doubletree! :p I'll let you know how I fare...

I am also perplexed but you get big props for trying!

stlrboo, there really is no 'reasonably priced' decent hotel in the immediate vicinity of the Newark area. You either pay for what you get or pay $200 for a decent hotel. It is such a undesirable area and there really are no redeeming qualities for staying in the Newark area unless you have a 5AM flight out of Newark Airport.

I completely agree with Jersey City.

I think you may just have to explain to your group that they need to trust you are there are no $65 per night bargains in this area.

You'll really like the Jersey City hotels. Splurge on the Hyatt or Doubletree.

Archived