Lunch with the locals - Hawaii

questor

We did "Lunch with the Locals" about 15 months ago and enjoyed it very much. The tour was organized by a guy who used to be the food critic for the major Honolulu newspaper and his wife who is, if I remember correctly, a caterer. We were told that the restaurant choices would vary depending on what day it was as they work around who is open that day, who is too busy to accept a group like this, etc., but the ones we went to were a Thai restaurant, an Indian restaurant (India, not Native American), a couple of bakeries with well-known specialties, and there must have been another place as we went to 5 altogether. On the van trip back to the ship the host pointed out restaurants in Honolulu that are to be avoided; although "popular" he said they specialize in tourists--expensive and food that's not all that unique. The trip was enhanced for us because the guest chefs from the ship for our cruise were on this tour and their knowledge was a great addition to the conversations about food.

The Thai food was similar to what we would get in Los Angeles in a similar restaurant; the Indian food was actually less spicy that what we're used to at home in Los Angeles. At the Indian restaurant we were invited back to the kitchen in twos and threes to watch the bread-making operation which was fun to see. The bakery specialties were new to us and enjoyed, but 15 months later, I can't remember what we ate there.

It was a rainy day in Honolulu; we've been there frequently and this tour was something different to do that worked out quite well. It may have changed somewhat since we did it; the tour was pretty new when we went.

This is our good friend Matthew Gray's --www.hawaiifoodtours.com. We went on Matthew"Hole in the Wall" lunch tour when he first started the business. He took us to places that as tourist would have never found. The food was delightful and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The next year to Hawaii we went on his evening "Triology" tour which consisted of three restaurants appetizers, entres, desserts. Another fantastic evening. They also do a Hawaiian Food Fest tour.

Matthew use to be the food reviewer for Hawaii largest newspaper and also has a colorful background as Chef and caterer to many celebraties and stars.

We will definitely be joining Matthew and Kiera next May on our trip to Hawaii for another truly wonderful dining experience. Bruce & Sue in FL

The cruise critic boards are so fantastic thanks to such an involved and sharing community. Thanks for the quick replies. Sounds interesting because of the behind the scenes. Foodwise we have Thai and Indian in Williamsburg (and Japanese)

Aloha

Can't figure out what that might be like. We live in Honolulu and I can assure you that we are just all Americans over here. Nothing special !

Mahalo,

John

HI JOHN!!! It's GREAT to see another "local" on these boards! lol. My thoughts about this tour were the same.

Aloha - We aren't locals however when we visit a new place and are not that familiar with a city we do like to have an inside view of what kinds of non-chain restaurants there are to enjoy. Although one can read Gayots, Frommers, etc. having a local show us some of the local neat food cultures and traditions is really enjoyable. We found this kind of tour could take us to some wonderful places to eat that tourists would have never known about. Although we live in a tourist destination and have most any kind of food you would desire, its kinda cool to go and find out if others do it any differently.

It's like you visiting our hometown resort area and you hired us to show you the sites, traditions, culture and most importantly fantastic food. Are we "Foodies" you bet. How often do you get to go to dinner with a professional food reviewer.

Aloha - We aren't locals however when we visit a new place and are not that familiar with a city we do like to have an inside view of what kinds of non-chain restaurants there are to enjoy. Although one can read Gayots, Frommers, etc. having a local show us some of the local neat food cultures and traditions is really enjoyable. We found this kind of tour could take us to some wonderful places to eat that tourists would have never known about. Although we live in a tourist destination and have most any kind of food you would desire, its kinda cool to go and find out if others do it any differently.

It's like you visiting our hometown resort area and you hired us to show you the sites, traditions, culture and most importantly fantastic food. Are we "Foodies" you bet. How often do you get to go to dinner with a professional food reviewer.

That makes sense, I guess. What really got me was the tour description.

"

Lunching with the Locals

DURATION: Approximately 4 hours

PRICE: $69 Adult $69 Child

im_shorex_1walkblack.gifim_shorex_limitedcap.gif

Featuring yummy food, fascinating history and culinary decadence! Bring a big appetite for this tour! You'll taste, touch and visit several different food gems and exotic ethnic restaurants that contribute to Honolulu's delicious melting pot. Hawaii's best chefs serve what they like to eat on their day off--Hawaiian plate lunch, Chinese dumplings, local-style grinds, pastry, Thai noodles, barbecued meat satay, Vietnamese summer rolls, bento boxes, Mediterranean, and Hawaii's mysterious crack seed. Your guide will answer all your food questions. You'll get valuable tips on how to make your Hawaii vacation more memorable. Prepare yourself for a fantastic day of eating behind the scenes in beautiful Honolulu!"

It's all about food. And for $69 I could go to a bunch of truly local places for much much less. I guess I travel not for food, but for other things. Also, with what's been said about HAL's food "taste is subjective" I'm not sure a tour completely devoted to food is going to be that "yummy" for all. I must say, Vietnamese summer rolls are to DIE for!! :D And crack seed is an aquired taste ;)

Thanks aliaschief, for reminding me what the tour leader's name is. I'm remembering now that the emphasis was on places that food professionals would eat when not at work. The tour was very informative about who's who in food in Honolulu, for sure. We'd go again. And no, at least on our tour . . . no SPAM. Pity. :D

We went on this tour last December and really enjoyed it. Besides the Plate lunch and the Indian restaurant we went to two, wonderful and locally famous bakeries for unique pastries. One could tell from the lines of people buying items that they were very popular with locals.

Numerous years ago I lived in Honolulu for several months. The places we went on the food tour were exactly the type of places we would eat when we went out, places that tourists on their own would never find.

I would gladly go on this tour again. Except for visiting the "Arizona", and snorkeling at Hananama Bay, it was probably the most fun TOURIST thing we have done on Oahu. Of course when I lived there we got into many other facinating activities, but as a tourist the timing is not right for many of them.

Not only did they NOT mention SPAM, but what about Masadas(sp?). Anyway, the tour sounds okay to me, but somehow, I just don't think it is my cup of tea. Too many varieties. On one visit we went to a Hawaiian food hole in the wall in Waikiki - Ono's - and they served up the best local food I have ever had in our many visits to the Islands! One restaurant, one quaint ambiance, and I believe we had a great 'eating with the locals' experience! The lady that was serving us thought we were locals, but when I said I was a mainlander, she mercifully navigated me through the menu. We have been to Hawaii many times and have many friends there, but this was real, down home cookin'!

:cool: If, like us, you have been to the Islands many times and just want a super Luncheon experience try this.....Take a taxi directly to the Royal Hawiian,yes, the Pink Palace of old, then go to the cafe and be seated with a beach view and enjoy a true Waikiki experience!:D

Archived