Panama or Southern Carib.??

boomerSexyK

Hello all. We may be giving Princess a try-on for our next cruise. We have sailed on Celebrity Constellation and HAL Zuiderdam, both times to the Eastern Caribbean. This time we are going to try either Panama Canal (Coral P.partial transit) or Southern Caribbean (Emerald P.). I guess what we're looking for is some info from past cruisers who have either sailed these ships (I realize the Emerald is very new) or done these itineraries. Boomer is partially confined to a scooter (canes for short distances), so we know we'll need an accessible cabin (hopefully a mini-suite). Any suggestions on cabins, decks, forward/rear/midship??

Also, we tend to dine about 1/2 the time in our cabin. Does Princess charge for in-room dining or is that $25/person only for the "Ultimate Balcony Dining"? We love our balcony!! so I'm sure we'll probably give the UBD a go anyways. Boomer is a Hold'em fanatic while SexyK is a pool gal.

Hello all. We may be giving Princess a try-on for our next cruise. We have sailed on Celebrity Constellation and HAL Zuiderdam, both times to the Eastern Caribbean. This time we are going to try either Panama Canal (Coral P.partial transit) or Southern Caribbean (Emerald P.). I guess what we're looking for is some info from past cruisers who have either sailed these ships (I realize the Emerald is very new) or done these itineraries. Boomer is partially confined to a scooter (canes for short distances), so we know we'll need an accessible cabin (hopefully a mini-suite). Any suggestions on cabins, decks, forward/rear/midship??

Also, we tend to dine about 1/2 the time in our cabin. Does Princess charge for in-room dining or is that $25/person only for the "Ultimate Balcony Dining"? We love our balcony!! so I'm sure we'll probably give the UBD a go anyways. Boomer is a Hold'em fanatic while SexyK is a pool gal.

We have done both cruises although the Southern was not on the Emerald.

I like the Canal but now that the Emerald is doing the 10 day round trip out of FLL that makes it much better versus trying to get to San Juan.

I would probably do the Emerald.

Depending on the cabin you are in room service is very limited especially for hot items.

The $25 you are referring to is for the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast for two

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner is $50 per person.

I've done both the partial Canal and Southern trips.... I have to say, the Canal was absolutely awesome. I have been recommending it to anyone and everyone. You have to do it once in your life.. Our Canal cruise in April was great. And we too had a person requiring a wheel chair. She could use the cane for very short distances but used the wheel chair more. The Coral was very accommodating for this. Not that the Emerald wouldn't be but I haven't been on that ship. She was in a mini suite and did well.... Can't help you on the dining thing...... I know room service is free, you just need to tip...... The Coral is a beautiful ship.... But the Emerald is new so it will depend on what you want to do... But I highly recommend the Partial or Full Canal transit... It's amazing.....:D

We have done both the Coral partial canal and the southern (not on the Emerald although that's the ship we are taking March '08) and I do believe I vote for Coral and partial canal. If you have never done the canal then my vote is definitely for the Coral. Next to the Sun class ships the Coral is my favorite in the fleet and bigger is not always better. Make certain you get a handicap room and do so the sooner the better. On the Coral my suggestion would be on the Caribe Deck C618, C620, C627 or C633. The balconies are extra large and would allow Boomer plenty of room to move around to observe the goings on as you go through the locks. There are also 4 handicap rooms on Baja and another 8 with obstructed views on Emerald Deck. I don’t believe they have any handicap accessible mini-suites but check with Princess as I could be wrong.

Although the free room service menu is limited and I would hesitate to call any of it “dining room food” you could always go up to the Horizon court (where the menu is pretty much the same at dinner time as the dining room) and fill up plates and take them back down to your cabin. That’s another good reason to book the Caribe deck as there is ample room on the balcony for the table.

Thanks for the replies folks!! I'm sure it will help in the decision making process. Of course, needing a wheelchair balcony cabin, we had better make our decision soon. Saw some great photos of the Emerald on Webshots Community. Looks like a gorgeous ship!!

I agree on the Canal vote on the Coral. It is truly a fabulous experience!

I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you could afford a full suite, you can have anything from the dining brought to the suite -- breakfast, lunch or dinner. On our last cruise, I requested the cabin steward bring the next day's menus the evening before and I was even able to get the daily breakfast special delivered. Definitely beat the dining room service or fighting my way through the Horizon Court!

The Panama trip is definitely not to be missed and the Coral is one of the shining stars in the Princess fleet in my opinion.

If you do decide to do the canal, I would highly recommend an AFT cabin. We got an AFT cabin and it was awesome! We didn't have to leave our room while cruising through the canal and we were able to watch the ships behind us. It was incredible! Oh and bring binoculars.

If you do decide to do the canal, I would highly recommend an AFT cabin. We got an AFT cabin and it was awesome! We didn't have to leave our room while cruising through the canal and we were able to watch the ships behind us. It was incredible! Oh and bring binoculars.

No aft cabins on the Coral. :(

Archived