I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

Finished Salvation in Death by JD Robb - always good. Now reading 8th Confession by James Patterson on my Kindle - his womens murder club series set in San Francisco. Good quick reads.

Picked up Finger Lickin Good - Janet Evanavich's latest. Looking forward to it.

Edited by SFParrtHd

The Haitian author's novel about a woman dealing with the realization that her father was a prison guard who tortured others in a Haitian prison. Very highly recommended.

Also, White Teeth by Zadie Smith is a complex, often hilarious novel set in north London examines issues of reace, ethnicity, etc. Wonderful!

Edited by Bookish Angel
add'l info

I recently treated myself to the new Kindle. Love it by the way. Can't wait to take it on my cruise.

Since I'm counting the days until we sail, I searched for cruise books.

I downloaded samples of The Purser and Permanent Passenger-My Life on a Cruise Ship

After I read a sample of each, I ended up buying both.

Either or both would be good to read while on the ship.

Since they are on my kindle, my sister is going to read them while we're on our Hawaii Cruise.

The latest Stephanie Plum novel by Janet Evanovich. Read the entire thing in one day! I laughed my a@@ off! Laughed so hard I was crying and almost peed my pants! :eek: Unfortunately, I have to wait another year for the next installment to come out!

If you want a quick read and aren't afraid of the looks you'll get when you are laughing out loud - pick it up. You won't be sorry!

I recently treated myself to the new Kindle. Love it by the way. Can't wait to take it on my cruise.

Since I'm counting the days until we sail, I searched for cruise books.

I downloaded samples of The Purser and Permanent Passenger-My Life on a Cruise Ship

After I read a sample of each, I ended up buying both.

Either or both would be good to read while on the ship.

Since they are on my kindle, my sister is going to read them while we're on our Hawaii Cruise.

I recently received the Kindle 2 for my birthday and I love it. It will really help cut down on all the books I usually bring.

If you haven't read Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen it's a great read, only a little bit centers on a cruise ship, but still fun.

The latest Stephanie Plum novel by Janet Evanovich. Read the entire thing in one day! I laughed my a@@ off! Laughed so hard I was crying and almost peed my pants! :eek: Unfortunately, I have to wait another year for the next installment to come out!

If you want a quick read and aren't afraid of the looks you'll get when you are laughing out loud - pick it up. You won't be sorry!

Just finished this book and you are right - always fun to spend time with Stephanie and crew.:)

Firefly Lane by Kristen Hannah. (for the women. :D). Loved this book! I just didn't want it to end. I looked forward to reading it every night.

Also, I just finished Maureen McCormick (Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!) 's autobiography, Here's The Story. A very quick, easy read, but entertaining! It won't take long to read, but if you were at all into the Brady Bunch as a child (or adult!) I'd recommend it. Wow! crazy life!

Just finished this book and you are right - always fun to spend time with Stephanie and crew.:)

SFParrtHd - have you gone on any of the Atlanta Parrothead cruises? I never have, but they do it as a fundraiser for the Atlanta 2 Day Walk for Breast Cancer. The 2009 cruise raised $48,000!!! Talk about partying with a purpose!! The 2010 cruise is sold out, but there is a way to win a balcony cabin on the March 12th sailing on a Carnival vessel (can't remember which one - Miracle I think). Look it up on Facebook - Parrothead Cruise 2010.

Sorry - I know way off topic!

Firefly Lane by Kristen Hannah. (for the women. :D). Loved this book! I just didn't want it to end. I looked forward to reading it every night.

Also, I just finished Maureen McCormick (Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!) 's autobiography, Here's The Story. A very quick, easy read, but entertaining! It won't take long to read, but if you were at all into the Brady Bunch as a child (or adult!) I'd recommend it. Wow! crazy life!

Loved Firefly Lane - it was recommended on a book thread I am on. I probably would have never read it. Thanks for the info on Here's The Story - I may get that on my Kindle.

SFParrtHd - have you gone on any of the Atlanta Parrothead cruises? I never have, but they do it as a fundraiser for the Atlanta 2 Day Walk for Breast Cancer. The 2009 cruise raised $48,000!!! Talk about partying with a purpose!! The 2010 cruise is sold out, but there is a way to win a balcony cabin on the March 12th sailing on a Carnival vessel (can't remember which one - Miracle I think). Look it up on Facebook - Parrothead Cruise 2010.

Sorry - I know way off topic!

No, we have never gone on any of the Parrothead cruises. They sound fun but I don't know if I could handle 7 days with all the festivities! We have gone to almost every concert since 1982 so I get my fill ;) Thanks for the heads up on the Facebook thing, I will check it up. Fins Up :D

No, we have never gone on any of the Parrothead cruises. They sound fun but I don't know if I could handle 7 days with all the festivities! We have gone to almost every concert since 1982 so I get my fill ;) Thanks for the heads up on the Facebook thing, I will check it up. Fins Up :D

Fins Up - even though I'm not officially a Parrothead! I just work with them on the 2 Day Walk - great bunch of people, but I don't think I could ever keep up with them and their partying!!

Just noticed you were on the old Crown Princess - she was our first cruise way back in 1991! It's her fault we are now balcony snobs!! :)

My DH doesn't have a Kindle - he's got the Sony Reader and he loves it! I love that most of the books he gets now are only $1 or $2!! He travels a lot so he gets a lot of use out of it! His parents sure know how to pick a Christmas present!

Fins Up - even though I'm not officially a Parrothead! I just work with them on the 2 Day Walk - great bunch of people, but I don't think I could ever keep up with them and their partying!!

Just noticed you were on the old Crown Princess - she was our first cruise way back in 1991! It's her fault we are now balcony snobs!! :)

My DH doesn't have a Kindle - he's got the Sony Reader and he loves it! I love that most of the books he gets now are only $1 or $2!! He travels a lot so he gets a lot of use out of it! His parents sure know how to pick a Christmas present!

Fond memories of the Crown - I think that was around the time we sailed also - did the Canal.

Fond memories of the Crown - I think that was around the time we sailed also - did the Canal.

Canal repositioning cruise maybe? We did the Eastern Caribbean. One of the gentlemen that we ate with was a first generation Italian American and he was speaking Italian to the Maitre D' and anyone else who was Italian. He actually freaked out our first set of waiters - seems they were really bad mouthing the pax and Angelo heard them and said something to them in Italian - their jaws hit the floor and they turned ash white!! :eek: It was priceless! Angelo did say something to the Maitre D' on our way out that night - don't know what they said or if anything happened to those waiters since the 4 of us changed tables the next night.

Canal repositioning cruise maybe? We did the Eastern Caribbean. One of the gentlemen that we ate with was a first generation Italian American and he was speaking Italian to the Maitre D' and anyone else who was Italian. He actually freaked out our first set of waiters - seems they were really bad mouthing the pax and Angelo heard them and said something to them in Italian - their jaws hit the floor and they turned ash white!! :eek: It was priceless! Angelo did say something to the Maitre D' on our way out that night - don't know what they said or if anything happened to those waiters since the 4 of us changed tables the next night.

Oh no, that could have been my father! :eek: We used to enjoy Sitmar and early Princess when they had all of the Italian waiters, such great service.

Oh no, that could have been my father! :eek: We used to enjoy Sitmar and early Princess when they had all of the Italian waiters, such great service.

The gentleman's name was Angelo and his wife was Doreen. They were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary - a gift given to them by their kids. It was their first cruise. They actually lived in Haward, CA.

If you tell me that's your dad, I will freak out!!!

The gentleman's name was Angelo and his wife was Doreen. They were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary - a gift given to them by their kids. It was their first cruise. They actually lived in Haward, CA.

If you tell me that's your dad, I will freak out!!!

Well, not my father, but that is something he would have done!

I like anything by Nicholas Sparks.. easy reads, very captivating. Also Janis Ian my autobiography. (she sang "at seventeen" back in the 70's) I couldn't put that one down.

Was the Janis Ian book just about her or was it the one about the "girl" singers in the 70's?

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm going somewhere cold I like reading books about cold places. Alaska is coming up in a couple of weeks so I picked up a copy of "Alone" by Adm. Richard E. Byrd (written in 1938). It is about the four and a half months he spent by himself in a weather base in Antarctica. Brrrr!!!! If you liked Shackleton's Endurance, you'll love this one!!