I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

For anyone leaving for a cruise from Seattle try Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo for a Med cruise, and for a Caribbean cruise Don't Stop The Carnival by Herman Wouk.

If you like Janet Evanovich and haven't read Finger Lickin Fifteen yet it's a must. If you have read that try any of the Carlotta Carlyle book by Linda Barnes

Cindy the Librarian

For anyone leaving for a cruise from Seattle try Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo for a Med cruise, and for a Caribbean cruise Don't Stop The Carnival by Herman Wouk.

If you like Janet Evanovich and haven't read Finger Lickin Fifteen yet it's a must. If you have read that try any of the Carlotta Carlyle book by Linda Barnes

Cindy the Librarian

Hi, again,. Cindy,

Do you have any other recommendations for Caribbean cruising type books? I love, love, love books like that.

Thanks,

Lynn

For those of you that have the Kindle or Sony E-reader....how do you like them? I am trying to talk Mr. Ski in to getting one. I have to take 8 books for him on a 7 night cruise and 16 books for him on a 14 night cruise. This is a lot of weight in our luggage. Therefore I thought the "gadget" would be good. However he says "I like to flip the pages". Please tell me the pros and cons (your likes and dislikes) of whatever gadget you have (compared to actually "holding" a "book").

Thanks!

Hi, again,. Cindy,

Do you have any other recommendations for Caribbean cruising type books? I love, love, love books like that.

Thanks,

Lynn

Have you read the Jaine Austen myteries by Laura Levine? The latest is Killer Cruise.

Dick Francis's book Second Wind is about a meteorologist, a small island and a hurricane. I know we both know about those:eek:

Have you read the Jaine Austen myteries by Laura Levine? The latest is Killer Cruise.

Dick Francis's book Second Wind is about a meteorologist, a small island and a hurricane. I know we both know about those:eek:

Yes, I've read Killer Cruise. We definitely think along the same lines <g>.

Thank you for the recommendation of Second Wind. I didn't know about that one in particular. It sounds really GOOD.

Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt adventures involve water-based mysteries (Raise the Titanic, Vixen O3, and a host of others) are always intriguing, with a bit of dry humor added, and they lead you through a lot of twisty plot turns that generally have a great resolution. Oh, and Clive often shows up in a brief cameo in the storyline; watch for the description of the silver-bearded older gent who provides an occasional bit of Deus-ex-machina.;)

For those of you that have the Kindle or Sony E-reader....how do you like them? I am trying to talk Mr. Ski in to getting one. I have to take 8 books for him on a 7 night cruise and 16 books for him on a 14 night cruise. This is a lot of weight in our luggage. Therefore I thought the "gadget" would be good. However he says "I like to flip the pages". Please tell me the pros and cons (your likes and dislikes) of whatever gadget you have (compared to actually "holding" a "book").

Thanks!

I've had my Kindle since May. I love it!!! I like that I can get a book anytime I want, even at 1am when I've just finished another one. I love that I can read a huge hardback book and only have to hold my lightweight Kindle. I love that I can take as many books as I want with me and they dont take up tons of space or weight. I love that I always have a dictionary with me to look up those unfamiliar words. I love that you can get a free sample of books, so I can see if I like them, or because I sometimes forget titles of books I've read and that way I dont buy them twice. You probably can't tell yet, but I kind of like my Kindle. :)

I've had my Kindle since May. I love it!!! I like that I can get a book anytime I want, even at 1am when I've just finished another one. I love that I can read a huge hardback book and only have to hold my lightweight Kindle. I love that I can take as many books as I want with me and they dont take up tons of space or weight. I love that I always have a dictionary with me to look up those unfamiliar words. I love that you can get a free sample of books, so I can see if I like them, or because I sometimes forget titles of books I've read and that way I dont buy them twice. You probably can't tell yet, but I kind of like my Kindle. :)

Thanks for the info!

I think these are reads for women:

Eva Ibbotson-A Company of Swans. Her books win awards for teens, but they can be quite deep, as she is a Jew who escaped Austria.

Sally Vickers- Miss Garnet's Angels- a lonely woman retires to Venice.

Maeve Binchy- any of her books, all with an Irish twinkle!

Penny Vincenzi- The Best of Times- a split second on a motorway changes lives for ever. I can't put it down!- jocap.

Edited by jocap
wrong word

Thanks!

Ski - I LOVE my Kindle too. Like Mr. Ski, I took alot of books on cruises/vacations. I always tried to figure out "which books to take?. DH got me a Kindle for my birthday in June. To be honest, I didn't think I would like it. There is just something wonderful holding the book and turning the pages. It took me about 10 pages into my 1st book to get used to it and now I am hooked. I read faster, retain more (tough as you get older) and there is no glare what so ever. I do miss the pretty covers as the Kindle is only black and white. I download some papers for DH and he likes it to - in fact he read & finished "Cruise Confidential" on the Kindle and he is not a reader.

I can read books that have just been released and pay only $9.99and have read some books I may have not gotten. I still have a huge supply of paperbacks, so I go back and forth. Best part is they have come down in price.

Ski - I LOVE my Kindle too. Like Mr. Ski, I took alot of books on cruises/vacations. I always tried to figure out "which books to take?. DH got me a Kindle for my birthday in June. To be honest, I didn't think I would like it. There is just something wonderful holding the book and turning the pages. It took me about 10 pages into my 1st book to get used to it and now I am hooked. I read faster, retain more (tough as you get older) and there is no glare what so ever. I do miss the pretty covers as the Kindle is only black and white. I download some papers for DH and he likes it to - in fact he read & finished "Cruise Confidential" on the Kindle and he is not a reader.

I can read books that have just been released and pay only $9.99and have read some books I may have not gotten. I still have a huge supply of paperbacks, so I go back and forth. Best part is they have come down in price.

Thanks so much!

I have read most of Jodi's novels and loved them. Which has been your favorite?

My favorite Jodi Picoult book is definitely Nineteen Minutes. Sounds like a morbid topic - a high school shooting. But she covers such different points of view that it is certainly a thought-provoking book.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you who have posted. I now have a list of books recommended here I wish to read.

Here is a list of books I have read which are my favorites:

Time Is a River by Mary Alice Monroe

Chasing the Dime by Michail Connelly

Sam's Letters to Jennifer by James Patterson

Along Came a Spider by James Patterson

The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson

Witching hour by Ann Rice

It by Stephen King

Remember me by Mary Higgins Clark

If I were Not Upon the Sea By Joyce Gleeson-Adamidis (A cruise ship captains wife)

I have just finished reading several of Dan Brown's book - Angels and Demons, The Da Vinci Code, and Deception Point. All were interesting and hard to put down. I would highly recommend them.

Have you read Dan Brown's new book..If i'm not mistaken it's "The Lost Symbol"..