I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

• 2 weeks later...

I just called to get a copy of the new John Saul book that comes out tomorrow. The Reckoning..been waiting for his newest book for months. They were only getting two copies....and I got one! Yeah....

Also, was wondering if anyone knows anything about the "Books for Troops" program on the Books a Million site? It sounds like a great idea, but just wondered if anyone has had any experience with the purchasing of the books, or do you know anyone that has been on the receiving end. Would love to know more about this. Thanks.

Ski - I LOVE my Kindle too. Like Mr. Ski, I took alot of books on cruises/vacations. I always tried to figure out "which books to take?. DH got me a Kindle for my birthday in June. To be honest, I didn't think I would like it. There is just something wonderful holding the book and turning the pages. It took me about 10 pages into my 1st book to get used to it and now I am hooked. I read faster, retain more (tough as you get older) and there is no glare what so ever. I do miss the pretty covers as the Kindle is only black and white. I download some papers for DH and he likes it to - in fact he read & finished "Cruise Confidential" on the Kindle and he is not a reader.

I can read books that have just been released and pay only $9.99and have read some books I may have not gotten. I still have a huge supply of paperbacks, so I go back and forth. Best part is they have come down in price.

How is the print? I have a retina problem and have to read the Big Print books -

thanx for telling us about the Kindle- sounds good... Corkey Carol

How is the print? I have a retina problem and have to read the Big Print books -

thanx for telling us about the Kindle- sounds good... Corkey Carol

Hi Neighbor ;) The nice thing about the Kindle is you can adjust the font size. So, if I don't have my reading glasses, I can make the font larger and still read. I am guessing that the largest font is a bit larger than the font I am using here. I think if you go to Amazon and look at the Kindle, they should have the font sizes on there. The $$ has come down too.

Hi Neighbor ;) The nice thing about the Kindle is you can adjust the font size. So, if I don't have my reading glasses, I can make the font larger and still read. I am guessing that the largest font is a bit larger than the font I am using here. I think if you go to Amazon and look at the Kindle, they should have the font sizes on there. The $$ has come down too.

Thank You - I did look it up and found out the font can be larger, just didn't know the size. The Kindle sounds great!

I am definitely interested only to keep down the piles of books I now have -

Hey Neighbor, visit us on the CA thread - you are most than welcome - all CA cruisers are always welcome!! Corkey

Thank You - I did look it up and found out the font can be larger, just didn't know the size. The Kindle sounds great!

I am definitely interested only to keep down the piles of books I now have -

Hey Neighbor, visit us on the CA thread - you are most than welcome - all CA cruisers are always welcome!! Corkey

Thanks Corkey :)

Hi SFParrtHd : guess what - I was nosey and I went into one of my friends postings to find out when her next cruise is cuz she told me twice and I forgot and I didn't want to ask again - and I notice that YOU YOU YOU are on THEIR THEIR THEIR cruise -- MII, TRadogna, Morriscat... cuz I found you on their roll call!!! small cruise world I always say!

I have met Marilyn & Teresa and are on the same thread -- nice folks!

Now I don't have to ask Teresa again cuz I found out it's in a week--- Corkey

Hi SFParrtHd : guess what - I was nosey and I went into one of my friends postings to find out when her next cruise is cuz she told me twice and I forgot and I didn't want to ask again - and I notice that YOU YOU YOU are on THEIR THEIR THEIR cruise -- MII, TRadogna, Morriscat... cuz I found you on their roll call!!! small cruise world I always say!

I have met Marilyn & Teresa and are on the same thread -- nice folks!

Now I don't have to ask Teresa again cuz I found out it's in a week--- Corkey

Oh, that is too funny! We have been on several cruises with Marilyn & Pat and she has really been so nice to us. Bob had knee surgery and she called at least once a week to check up on us. Have not met Teresa or Karen yet, but looking forward to it. It is a small world!

Oh, that is too funny! We have been on several cruises with Marilyn & Pat and she has really been so nice to us. Bob had knee surgery and she called at least once a week to check up on us. Have not met Teresa or Karen yet, but looking forward to it. It is a small world!

You will love Teresa - she is a sweetheart and so thoughtful. I haven't met karen. you guys have a good trip - talk to me on my CA thread when you get back - I want to know about your cruise - but wait til after the 10th cuz I will be in Hawaii too - land trip tho'... Corkey

• 2 months later...
One of my favorite things to do is read a good book on vacation, especially by the pool on a cruise. The worst thing in the world is bringing a couple of books to read, and they are all no good, boring, horrible to read.

Soooooo. Does anybody have any recommendations? (I have already read War and Peace!)

Peace and love to all.

You have come to the right place! Take a look at 'Midnight to Infinity the Humor and History of a Mischievous Artist'. Complete info on www.FineArtEdward.com

Any more book recommendations? :D

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series

The Art of Racing in the Rain (Stein)

Still reading The Lost Symbol - structured almost identically to DaVinci Code, but the details are interesting.

Second the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and the Stephanie Plum series (first book is One For The Money) by Janet Evanovich.

Some other really good books that I read last year were:

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld

Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen

Also highly recommend books by Jodi Picoult - my favorites are Nineteen Minutes, Change of Heart, Handle With Care.

I just found this series again after reading the 1st 2 books when they first came out. Thanks to my daughter's employee discount, I have bought the next 4 books. I thought I had read book 3, so I started this time with book 4. About 200 pages into it, I realized that I was missing large chunks of the story. So I finished that one and am now reading book 3. At over 1000 pages each, it takes a while to read. I love the Stephanie Plum books too, but at $7.99 for 300 pages, I'd rather spend my money on a book that takes me a little longer to read. Unless you read very, very fast, 1 or 2 Outlander books should be more than enough for a 7 day cruise.

Debbe

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series

The Art of Racing in the Rain (Stein)

Still reading The Lost Symbol - structured almost identically to DaVinci Code, but the details are interesting.

Great read, and the chapters are short, which makes it easy to pick up and put down if you get interrupted or have other plans.

On our last cruise I read Jimmy Buffet's book "A Salty Piece of Land". Great read on a Caribbean cruise, we were doing eastern caribbean on the Crown Princess, although most of the locale was western carribean.

On our last cruise I read Jimmy Buffet's book "A Salty Piece of Land". Great read on a Caribbean cruise, we were doing eastern caribbean on the Crown Princess, although most of the locale was western carribean.

If you liked that, try reading "A Priate Looks at 50" by Buffett. :) Sort of an autobiography - though he needs to update it now ;)

Cruise Confidential by Brian David Burns is a very interesting read for anyone who cruises.

It was written by an American who signed up to work on a cruise ship and his tales about it. It will enlighten you on what goes on that you don't know about and will make you realize that the crew work even harder than we could imagine. It made me even more appreciative of the crew.