I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

• 2 weeks later...

Though I had read ATLAS SHRUGGED by Ayn Rand; when it first was published I'd really forgotten much of the tale. Since it reflects so well on what is happening in the world today, I decided to re-read it. 1,000 plus pages, it took a long while and since it was a re-read, I could put it down when necessary.

To this, how about the FOUNTAINHEAD? Also by Rand. Another good 'read'.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Check out Revising the Pact by Todd Kirby. He's a new author I met at a local book signing. Cool story about a guy that has a near death experience and meets up with an old friend that passed away. Very appropriate with Halloween coming up, too. :D

I'm always in favor of promoting new talent. He said it's available on Amazon.com.

Also looking for 5 or 6 good read to load into my ereader for the next cruise next November. Now I want nice vacation-brain books that make me happy nothing that will make me doubt my sanity or question who I am; I do that enough at my job;) (healthcare...don't ask!)

I'm now on the fifth of a series of novels by British author Barbara Cleverly. The novels are set in 1920s and feature Joe Sandilands, a Scotland Yard detective. The first book is The Last Kashmiri Rose and is set in India as are the next four. In the fifth he's back in England.

They are perfect cruise books as they are entertaining and well written.

Cleverly also has another series featuring an anthropologist named Laetitia Talbot. These are mysteries as well and are also set in the 1920s. I've only read the first which was The Tomb of Zeus.

Edited by ILoveScotland

Also looking for 5 or 6 good read to load into my ereader for the next cruise next November. Now I want nice vacation-brain books that make me happy nothing that will make me doubt my sanity or question who I am; I do that enough at my job;) (healthcare...don't ask!)

James Hulbert's new novel * A Kiss Before You Leave Me* - beautifully written, great read! $2.99

My latest read was totally unexpected. I saw it recommended in Real Simple magazine. It's a memoir by Jeannette Walls -- "The Glass Castle." It's about a girl growing up in a very dysfunctional, quirky and sort of vagabond family of artists with some ... unique? ... parenting methods. She grows up in extreme poverty and gets through some awful experiences. It is written so well that I couldn't put it down. It may sound like a downer for vacation, but I don't mind if it's a really compelling book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Though I had read ATLAS SHRUGGED by Ayn Rand; when it first was published I'd really forgotten much of the tale. Since it reflects so well on what is happening in the world today, I decided to re-read it. 1,000 plus pages, it took a long while and since it was a re-read, I could put it down when necessary.

To this, how about the FOUNTAINHEAD? Also by Rand. Another good 'read'.

I think Ayn Rand was a prophet. She wrote that book in 1957 and as you said it reflects so well on what is happening today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am reading "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follet- excellent, and will keep you busy all cruise. For fun, try Carl Hiasson's books!

Just finished reading that book last night. It is good. And if you enjoy that, I highly recommend "Pillars of the Earth" also by Ken Follett. It is a great story about the building of a cathedral in the 11th century.

I third the Ken Follet books. I loved Fall of Giants. Big book. I also really liked Pillars of the Earth and world without end. You have to read those two in order. These would be perfect e reader books because they are so long.

I did not go through all 39 pages of this thread to see if someone already suggested this (I'm sure they did), Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline by Brian David Bruns.

It's about his experience as a middle class white American that takes a job with Carnival Cruise Line. You will learn more about what goes on behind the scenes than you ever wanted to know! Great book.:)