I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

I have to agree.....Janet Evanovich writes great books. The only ones I've ever read that make me laugh out loud :D

If you like mysteries that have the same character, try Jan Burke's Irene Kelly

series....they are not real graphic and are a good read...reading the most recent

one right now and I can hardly put it down.

Another one that's a series are the Eve Dallas ones by J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts). These can be a little more graphic but they are very good.

And one last series is by Suzanne Brockman....these are a series featuring an elite army? team and each one focuses on one of the team members...kind of a romantic mystery.

Just some suggestions for any mystery lovers out there

OK just one more suggestion ---- Stuard Woods---the Stone Barrington series - great books, easy read lots of fun. My husband even likes these...probably because women are constantly throwing themselves at Stone......must be a fantasy of his!! :p

I have the same problem.

But when I talked it over with my cruiseline, I acctually asked how much books I could fit into my cabin, they said;

bring two books, and if you dont like them, go up to the library...

Open 24-7!

This is a good idea.

My friend who used to work as a purser told me that I should as the cabin crew couse people always leave books behind for them to read.

She said she got a handwritten notebook from one woman who apperantly felt sorry for her and her situation. She thought she was a poor female with a hard husband and a ton of kids.

Not being the case ...

She had written all things a emigrated woman has to know about the US.

My friend read this book and laughed from the beginning until the end.

Then she wrote comments on every side and the mailed it back to the passenger.

She got a letter saying thanks for the comments and sorry for assuming things.

*lol*

This is however not something I would do.

But I'll hit the library once a day!

Have a nice cruise!!

/Sandra

Has anyone mentioned Carl Haissen? He always uses tropical places as the state for his great mysteries and usually florida. Fast read, very witty and very good!

He was the one who wrote striptease, which was actually a GOOD book with a bad movie LOL

S

• 3 weeks later...

Just another vote for Jennifer Weiner and Jane Green. LOVE both of those authors! My absolute FAVORITE books of all time: She's Come Undone: Wally Lamb and IT-Stephen King :)

And, because I was apparently the only student who didnt have to read CATCHER IN THE RYE in Jr. or High School, I just picked that up and finished it... interesting book... just a thought, that going back to the "classics" is always a good way to go :)

Let's see, here are some of my recommendations for relatively light cruise reading:

For horror, my favorite Stephen King novels are SALEM'S LOT, THE STAND, MISERY, and currently THE DARK TOWER series.

Highly recommend all the Harry Potter books -- if you are starting at the beginning, bring at least the first two, they are shorter and go quicker than the later ones. If you've already polished off the HP books, try Philip Pullman's HIS DARK MATERIALS trilogy.

For classics, JANE EYRE and REBECCA. (Most classics are too "heavy" for a cruise though IMHO -- but these are fine).

For romance, Kathleen Woodiwiss' SHANNA (takes place on an island) and anything by Judith McNaught.

My favorite book ever -- GONE WITH THE WIND. You can really immerse yourself in this one -- I hardly slept for a week the first time I read it. Fabulous characterization, and you will feel like you are there, trapped in Atlanta with the Yankees coming.

For light "chick" books, the Shopaholic series. Very funny. Also recommend THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES.

Hmmm.... for serious and compelling I recommend:

Preston and Child: Cabinet of Curiosities, Still Life with Crows and Brimstone - all bestsellers

Heartwarming and humorous:

Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons, by Lorna Landvik- a favorite of our book club

At Home in Mitford, by Jan Karon

Historical Romance:

anything by Judith Mcnaught (Whitney My Love and A Kingdom of Dreams are personal favorites)

hero is found on Virginia Lanier's Bloodhound series . the hero is Jo beth Sidden who owns a kennel and trains bloodhounds to search for bad guys and so on. Funny, lots of suspense and romance. Just finished The house on Bloodhound lane but there are more.

Laurie R. King is writing a series about a female partner of Sherlock Holmes. Really well done. Character is fun, romance intrigue. Look for The beekeeper's apprentice and others

And I loved The Life of Pi. Couldn't put it down. It reads as if it is a biography of a ship wrecked boy traveling to Canada from India.

And for a true biography try It Takes a Worried Manby Brendin Halpin. This is not a downer, even though it is his memoir of living through his wife's fight with breast cancer. Halpin is the kind of man/husband we all hope to have. He's wry, funny, sad, insightful and fully engaged in life. Really inspiring.

If you like Robert Crais or Harlen Coben you should try Killing Floor by Lee Child. I read it in two days, just couldn't put it down and convinced most of my friends to take a crack at it. Everyone who has read it loved it and went on to read his others.

I love bringing an Evanovich book on a cruise. On my last cruise I read To The Nines and Ten Big Ones. My friend started the series soon after we got back, she wanted to know what kept me laughing out loud. :)

The Maggie O'Dell series by Alex Kava is good as well.

Envy by Sandra Brown is also an excellent choice.

I am so happy I found this thread. :) One of my favorite things to do is to read while sitting in the sun.

Hi,

I soooooooooo agree about Janet Evanovich! Unfortunately, I've read all of that series ... and Metro Girl (also very good).

Do you have any other suggestions along those lines? I love funny books and romantic comedies and LIGHT (only light) mysteries.

Thanks,

Lynn

OK...My husband has read all of the John Grisham, Tom Clancy and Clive Cussler books. He has done most of the James Patterson books too. Any other authors out there that you think he would like. I have to take 1 book a day for him (he is a fast reader!). thanks.

How about the author Joanne Fluke?

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder

Strawberry Shortcake Murder

Blueberry Muffin Murder

Lemon Meringue Pie Murder

Fudge Cupcake Murder

(there are more books.....I just have not read them yet!)

I recommend reading them in the order listed above. They will have your laughing.........much like the Janet Evanovich books. But watch out, you might get alittle hungry.......some of the recipes are included in the book. My husband is also reading them....so they are good for women and men. :-)

I highly recommend Cabinet of Curiosities, Still Life with Crows, and Brimstone (in that order), by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Excellent!

Thanks for the info. I think dh would like these. I have done a little research based on your recommendation. Do you need to start with Relic, Reliquary, Thunderhead, etc. before jumping to COC or do you get a good enough feel for the characters if you just start with COC??? Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I think dh would like these. I have done a little research based on your recommendation. Do you need to start with Relic, Reliquary, Thunderhead, etc. before jumping to COC or do you get a good enough feel for the characters if you just start with COC??? Thanks!

You are welcom! No, you do not need to start with Relic and Reliquary. Those two do introduce the main characters found in C of C, S L with C, and Brimstone. However, they stand on their own as far as storyline and in my opinion are not as good. Thunderhead is not related at all.

My cruise is in April and unfortunately the next in the series after Brimstone does not come out until June :( . Oh well.....

You are welcom! No, you do not need to start with Relic and Reliquary. Those two do introduce the main characters found in C of C, S L with C, and Brimstone. However, they stand on their own as far as storyline and in my opinion are not as good. Thunderhead is not related at all.

My cruise is in April and unfortunately the next in the series after Brimstone does not come out until June :( . Oh well.....

Thanks....I was kind of getting the idea that you thought these were the better of the books but just wanted to make sure he wouldn't have "lost anything" by not starting "in the beginning". Thanks. I think I'll get these for him.

Skiiergirl - A couple more good authors in the same vein are Jeffrey Deavers, Stuart Woods and John Sandford. All are excellent~!

Cattolica - Those titles sound like Diane Mott Davidson! If you haven't read her books, they are excellent too. Main character is a caterer who always gets involved in a murder. Lots of cooking and recipes too!

Skiiergirl - A couple more good authors in the same vein are Jeffrey Deavers, Stuart Woods and John Sandford. All are excellent~!

Cattolica - Those titles sound like Diane Mott Davidson! If you haven't read her books, they are excellent too. Main character is a caterer who always gets involved in a murder. Lots of cooking and recipes too!

Emerald...Thanks... Any particular books by those authors??? Thanks.