Best place to buy gold necklace?

I will be sailing on the Millenium on the 18th. During our travels I would like to purchase a byzantine gold necklace. I am looking for suggestions on the best place to purchase.

We will be visiting -

Venice

Dubrovnik

Santorini

Athens

Naples

Rome

Florence

Nice

I ahve heard good things about Florence, Athens, and even Santorini. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! The more specific the better :)

Of the places we travelled last Fall, I thought Turkey had the best prices and selection of byzantine style jewelry (makes sense, right?) -- but I see you are not going there.

Italy is very expensive, but you'll see some beautiful jewelry. Keep in mind most is 18k gold so it's certainly not cheap. Despite Florence's reputation, I actually found more selection and better prices in Rome.

Athens had okay prices on gold and some nice jewelry shops around the Plaka. I bought a gold signet ring (with head of Athena and greek key design) in a high-end store. If you are interested I can dig out the receipt with the name.

I also had good luck in Mykonos (bought a Greek-design cross with gemstones by Konstantin (?) for a very good price. His pieces are on a par with David Yurman and John Hardy. Perhaps Santorini will be good as well....

I have not been to Santorini, but I'm betting that's the right answer. I have been to other parts of Greece, and found really great gold, with not bad prices. I saw lots of gold in Istanbul too, but I was a bit leery, maybe I would have looked more closely at quality if I hadn't already spent my money in Greece! I haven't looked in Athens, but that might be good too.

Italy is expensive, but has some unique things. If you are looking for a Byzantine necklace, my suggestion would be Santorini. The jewelrs are open to bargaining and the jewelry itself is quite lovely!

Karen

Rhodes has the best prices on Byzantine jewelry I have ever seen.

Also, when I had my handmade 22K Greek earrings appraised, I was told it was valued the same as 18K Italian gold. I was confused gold is gold, right?

Archived