Muster Drill Photo's

It would never occur to me to use the one serious activity on a ship as a photo op. Everyone who takes pics, goofs, laughs, cracks jokes,etc during the drill makes it a little harder for the rest of us to focus on the drill and / or hear the instructions. Before or after? Knock yourself out.

These are the same pax who, in the event of a real emergency,will run, push, shove, go to the wrong station, etc., because they were too busy using the drill as another shipboard social event. Hope you stay far away from me on your next cruise, Einsteins.

SERIOUSLY???? Come on people!!! Give me a freakin break!

How do you know that these people who took these pictures took them at an "inappropriate" time?? Both of you keep saying, "before or after is fine"....how do you know they didnt do that?? You were not there with them.

Go post your rude comments somewhere else! :mad:

It would never occur to me to use the one serious activity on a ship as a photo op. Everyone who takes pics, goofs, laughs, cracks jokes,etc during the drill makes it a little harder for the rest of us to focus on the drill and / or hear the instructions. Before or after? Knock yourself out.

These are the same pax who, in the event of a real emergency,will run, push, shove, go to the wrong station, etc., because they were too busy using the drill as another shipboard social event. Hope you stay far away from me on your next cruise, Einsteins.

I'm completely serious. Yes, occasionally I post things that might be seen as inflamatory - but I'm not the only one.

These posts are not examples of that. I was truly horrified to see the crass display of idiocy in this thread.

Matthew

So how do the two of you react when the head stewardess says that there may be 50 ways to leave your lover, but there are only six ways off this airplane? Or please put your seat backs up in their most uncomfortable position? Do you tell them to stop fooling around and to take this seriously?

You are judging people based on one sixtieth of a second of their life (or less). You have no clue as to what was going on during this time, yet you feel qualified to judge based on your obvious lack of knowledge of the circumstances.

I'm completely serious. Yes, occasionally I post things that might be seen as inflamatory - but I'm not the only one.

These posts are not examples of that. I was truly horrified to see the crass display of idiocy in this thread.

Matthew

Fair enough. Do you think it is possible to both have a good time and still be a responsible participant in the muster drill? While I agree that it should not be treated irreverantly, I also think that it helps to have a sense of humour and postive attitude to get through the tedium of the drill.

Wow!

I'm nearly speechless. (Nearly...)

I don't want to go off on a rant....but, do these people clench their fists and fight back the urge to stand up and slap the folks that are reading a book or newspaper through their 250th explanation of the safety card on the airplane?

Of course you should take the drill seriously, but after the 20th or so (or 1st, really...) muster drill, you have to have the whole thing pretty well committed to memory! Doesn't anyone read the back of their door or watch the only thing on TV before sail-away?

Taking things too seriously is, to me, far more deadly than harmless levity during a mandatory, but largely unnecessary muster drill. Popping an artery while cultivating self-righteous indignation over trivia probably kills more people annually than in the whole history of cruising.

Do you really think that the crew hasn't been trained to handle traffic and distribution of a mass of confused, scared and, probably, drunk people in an emergency? If it was so important to "learn" all about your life-jacket, would they insist that everyone put theirs on before assembling to be taught how to put it on?

In the event of an actual emergency, I would probably help someone that didn't know what to do rather than berate them for not paying attention at the muster...though, based on some of these posts, those people deserve an untimely end.

Geez...relax people!

Take a cruise or something!

• • •

Back on topic:

Can anyone explain why some ships organize muster drills by bra size?

medium.jpg

Just curious...

Dave

So how do the two of you react when the head stewardess says that there may be 50 ways to leave your lover, but there are only six ways off this airplane? Or please put your seat backs up in their most uncomfortable position?

I've never had that said on any flight I have taken. Nor would I approve were I to hear it.

Whilst I accept that many of the photographs may have been taken after or before the drill (in which case all well and good) the suggestion of the thread, taken as a whole, implies that photography during it is acceptable.

I suggest that it is not so acceptable. I'd have thought that this was the mature approach.

Matthew

I'd like to point out that we had lotsa time milling around(uncomfortably)

while waiting for the intentionally-irksome warning sounds, and drill, to begin.

My wife actually got kinda claustrophobic wearing her lifevest

and HAD to take it off!

While waiting (for about 10 long mins.) for 'the speech' to begin

I took three photos in our nearby crowd

(posted them earlier) - so folks take stooopid pics to kill time, guys!

Believe me nothing is impossible, including a sinking

and it went thru my mind several times, during the drill,

how nerve-wracking this could be, fer real,

but at the same time...

Enjoy, and praise God it'll never happen to any of us.

• • •

Back on topic:

medium.jpg

Just curious...

Dave

Well, it's obvious that you are not an EXPERIENCED bra shopper - they are always sized in EVEN numbers, not ODD numbers. :p

Well, it's obvious that you are not an EXPERIENCED bra shopper - they are always sized in EVEN numbers, not ODD numbers. :p

Well, it's obvious you've never had to Google "bra size 35D" to prove a point! In France a 35D measurement converts to a US 32C...the ship was built in Europe!

I rest my case! :D

Dave

I've never had that said on any flight I have taken. Nor would I approve were I to hear it.

Whilst I accept that many of the photographs may have been taken after or before the drill (in which case all well and good) the suggestion of the thread, taken as a whole, implies that photography during it is acceptable.

I suggest that it is not so acceptable. I'd have thought that this was the mature approach.

Matthew

Then don't fly on Southwest or Alaska.

Well, it's obvious you've never had to Google "bra size 35D" to prove a point! In France a 35D measurement converts to a US 32C...the ship was built in Europe!

I rest my case! :D

Dave

LOL - you're right, I've never shopped for bras in Europe! ;)

Matthew

Just got off a Southwest flight to Vegas and back (business related). The usual lines about putting the seat up in their most uncomfortable positions were used, along with some new ones:

As you know, the head steward / stewardess talks and the others demonstrate. Imagine our surprise when we found out the stewardess doing the demonstration was the speaker's ex-wife (she was surprised to here that also - and she was young enough to be his daughter).

During the life vest demonstration the speaker made it clear that he did not expect us to see any water on the way to Las Vegas.

This was the first time I heard the line about being able to breath normally when the oxygen masks fall (George Carlin uses this joke, but this is the first time I heard it on the airplane).

There were others, these are the ones I remember. However, I am sure you will be happy to know that no one was taking any pictures during this time (though more than the usual number were paying attention because of the humor being used).

I am going to put my two cents in.

I was on my first cruise last December (didn't know what a "Muster" drill was). We were up on deck in plenty of time - I happened to have my camera with me. As we were talking with one of the staff (before the drill actually started) they asked me if I wanted my picture taken - NOTE: THEY asked me if I wanted my picture taken. So, of course I said yes. After the picture we still had time so they started doing a type of chanting game with the group standing next to us.

Once the whistle sounded, it was all business....

So while I take the drills seriously and I do read the cards on the plane (I even check under my seat to be sure my lifevest is there) - there is always room for fun and a smile in life:D .

I think it is COOL to have this part of the cruise memorialized. So everyone - keep those pictures coming. (Now if I can only find where I stored mine on the computer:o .....)

medium.jpg

Just curious...

If they did it by bra size the ship would be leaning to the biggest bra side.:eek:

I would think that it would lean to the front...

Dave

A ship's bra. Doesn't seem that odd to me. In fact my last ship had one right on the front. :)

Randall.

Wow! It must have been a Z-bra!

;)

We may have taken this too far....

Woooooooooow. Never ceases to amaze me that someone MUST post when their panties are in a wad.

We have drill pics, yet to be uploaded as we just returned yesterday. I love the pics so far, they represent what it was half about!!

After all, we MISTAKENLY arrived FIRST :eek: and were pushed to the rear of the group, against the wall, and waited for 20-30 minutes for the drill to begin. In the meantime we all began sweating profusely, some pax passed out, I had to remove my vest or risk puking on the entire group in front of me, the elderly had to move to the front or risk passing out, and all the while people were video taping and snapping lots of pics.....

It was NOT fun, but we tried to make the best of it... much like the panty wad posters would tell the first poster who is complaining about a cruise. Slap me if I'm not right.... :rolleyes: Once it began, we tried to listen to things we could barely hear & focus on getting out of the heat and stench as soon as we could.....

Woooooooooow. Never ceases to amaze me that someone MUST post when their panties are in a wad.

We have drill pics, yet to be uploaded as we just returned yesterday. I love the pics so far, they represent what it was half about!!

After all, we MISTAKENLY arrived FIRST :eek: and were pushed to the rear of the group, against the wall, and waited for 20-30 minutes for the drill to begin. In the meantime we all began sweating profusely, some pax passed out, I had to remove my vest or risk puking on the entire group in front of me, the elderly had to move to the front or risk passing out, and all the while people were video taping and snapping lots of pics.....

It was NOT fun, but we tried to make the best of it... much like the panty wad posters would tell the first poster who is complaining about a cruise. Slap me if I'm not right.... :rolleyes: Once it began, we tried to listen to things we could barely hear & focus on getting out of the heat and stench as soon as we could.....

Sounds complete chaos.

I'm used to sitting in the restaurant, lifejacket on the table, listening to the Master on the bridge, clearly audible, and then having a demonstration on putting the lifejacket on.

Do it for yourself, watched by crew all over the place. Then take it off, and you're released.

No photography, save once on one trip for a group of morons. If people want pictures of themselves looking daft, then there are plenty of other places to do it.

Matthew

Sounds complete chaos.

I'm used to sitting in the restaurant, lifejacket on the table, listening to the Master on the bridge, clearly audible, and then having a demonstration on putting the lifejacket on.

Do it for yourself, watched by crew all over the place. Then take it off, and you're released.

No photography, save once on one trip for a group of morons.

If people want pictures of themselves looking daft,

then there are plenty of other places to do it.

Matthew

May I recommend Fred.Olsen Cruises for you, sir.

Thank God for dead-serious,fun-loving people like you.

You're going to fit right in, on a Fred.Olsen cruise..

Sounds complete chaos.

I'm used to sitting in the restaurant, lifejacket on the table, listening to the Master on the bridge, ...

Matthew

What is your wife doing on the bridge? :confused:

Archived