**"Live" from the Sunny Sapphire Princess in Alaska

Host Caroline

Okay, I did a brief review of the McKinley Princess on the Alaska board and am not spending much time in here so.. a brief run down. I will elaborate on return

• Love McKinley Princess.. pricey but worth it.. saw "the mountain" on spur of moment flightseeing.
  • Teriyaki Box on 4th Ave in Anchorage is great for an inexpensive divine meal and we loved location etc. (laundry, pool, great breakfast) of Clarion Suites on 8th.. can walk to all in downtown Anchorage
  • Again no rain.. in 7 trips up here been rained on 3 times and two were at sea.
  • College Fjord was stunning. Do book a "one way" cruise if you have time, money
  • Don't skimp here... yes, sometimes you have to be on a budget BUT there are also times esp. if this would be your only trip .. to forego that.. and not everyone is on a tight "budget".. this is the cruise to splurge on.
  • We have traditional dining this time... better than anytime bec. port calls end at dinner time often
  • Tendering in Ketchikan.. we are Elite so can get off any time but plan accordingly if you are coming in next couple weeks.. will try to find out more from Kim when we get there.

I will check back occasionally and update or answer questions and do a review when we return.

OH ... the streak continues from Caribbean Princess in Sept.. - we have won all the trivia so far.. another great team.. we are extending the streak:D :D

more later.. post questions and I will answer as time permits...

.... and behave yourselves?????:rolleyes: :p

Thanks for the post. I will be on the Sapphire next week and can't wait. I'm disappointed to hear that you are tendering in Ketchikan. I hoped based on postings on the Alaska boards that the dock would be finished this week. Please keep us posted.

I'm also disappointed to hear about the tendering in Ketchikan. We're supposed to pull in at 10:00 a.m., but we have an independent tour booked and have to meet the van at 11:15 at pier. Do you think we'll have enough time? We're not elite members so we'll have to wait in line. :(

DH and I were on the Sapphire two weeks ago. In Ketchikan, we tendered in the morning as there were already two other cruise ships at the dock. By 1pm, one of the cruise ships had left, so the Sapphire was moved to the dock.

I will try to find out more re Ketchikan such as who gets off first, tender ticket etc... and when the new dock will be finished.

It's about midnight here (4 a.m. at home:eek: ) and Club Fusion is full.. lots of late nighters tonight bec we don't hit the ranger station (well figuratively) till 10 a.m tomorrow.. the naturalist, Sally Klamp, is excellent so those of you coming after us.. I hope you find her as informative.

A few more things about the pre-cruise:

We did our spur of the moment flight seeing with the Alaska Bush Pilot Float plane folks about 1.5 -2 miles in on Talkeetna Spur and they were less expensive than the bigger tour people and a family run but excellent rated operation. From McKinley Princess we did Takosha Homestead tour.. hubby loved it.. we saw wolves on ride up to this unique homestead inside the park... actually Amazing Race fans may remember as a check point (the final one) a few seasons ago.. I found it a bit boring but DH loved it.. if you are really interested in finding out what it's really like to live up here 15 miles from your neighbor and want a great ride on some amazingly beautiful rivers.. you will like it ... We did Tundra Wilderness tour in Denali and were very very glad we did not do the shuttle. DH esp. found the narration on the tour very informative (Guide was excellent) and next time the shuttle will be fine for us.. We didn't intend to get off and hike so it was money well well spent (again, my opinion only so don't flame me for recommending this).... We saw Moose with her calves, 4 wolves just moseying down the highway, a momma bear and her cub who were auditioning for a role as tame bears in a movie.. they stayed on the road and right by it for at least 30 mins. playing and just entertaining us. Golden eagles, lots of Dall sheep.. the "visitor center" near Polychrome is just a tent this year and very crowded. oh, and lots of rest stops on this tour.. with all the wildlife sitings which our friends also experienced the next day.. we were gone 9 hours! We rafted the Nenana River the next a.m. at 7:00. very chilly but the canyon is great ride and Denali Raft Adventures has young, enthusiastic guides... we did this entire thing thru one company and prebooked it all.. one stop shopping... Stayed at Denali River Cabins (breakfast included) for 2 nights and for the price, IMHO a great bargain... they are quaint and not fancy BUT comfortable, staff is helpful and include breakfast.

Ship is sailing full...formal night was mostly sport coats and semi formal (sorry, not a debate, please, just tellin' it like it is) as most had packed for two weeks etc. Lots of activities in evening and during the sea day. Saw whales a couple of times and just about everyone did so they are active in waters of Prince Wm Sound now.

We have aft balcony, very sheltered and a great view of glaciers... would not splurge on this again but for my new DH :) ..

Tomorrow is Glacier Bay, the highlight of the cruise...

Hi Caroline. Do the new Alaskan regulations voted on last year (Ballot Initiative 2) appear to be having any effect on costs or operation of the ship? Other than obvious dip into your wallet, that is. Just curious.

Have a great cruise. <<Where's that emoticon with the halo :D>>

as iam doing nthe sapphire in feb around australia next year am very intersted in the ship. i just came off the royal which i fopund rather small and was a bit dead after the show ended.does she have a cigar room onboard?

dave

Judy:) .. I will tell her.. her mom is a trip.. like Gayle's mom. I beat all of them including my DH at Scrabble ... I can't wait to hear about Hawaii .. love love love the REgal.

Kiwi: thanks for the pictures.. it was very very foggy this a.m and clouds stayed so low you could see no mountains BUT partly cloudy is great for glacier viewing and we got some excellent calving off Marjerie Glacier and spent some time at Reid and others as well.. as usual onboard naturalist program is superb.

Those of you coming on any GlaBay ship: watch for whales at Icy Strait/Bartlett Cove area on right (starboard) on the way out.. rangers say very active in evenings but too foggy to see much this eve. It's been colder here than usual they say but not inland.

We passed Pacific Princess coming out of Glacier Bay... she looked tiny compared to us! Got an excellent photo of her with glacier backdrop which I will post on return.

Horizon Court dinner tonight very good.. they had the duckling, pasta and veal dish from dining room up there as well and many were up scenery watching. You can sit on starboard side for viewing even though there is no service there!

For souvenir hunters for the kids or tshirt collectors they have all new port of call t-shirts and caps... 9.99 at the "sale":rolleyes: tonight from 5-9:00.

Going to Most Traveled Cocktail Party on Wednesday.. have been to luncheon before but not the cocktail party ... so getting another shirt for DH ironed... it's in Wake View Bar which is a cozy spot under Club Fusion... cigar smokers take note: it's a cigar bar when not used for private parties!

One more thing re pre-cruise I forgot... even tho it means missing more of a day in Anchorage than you may like, take the train... the scenery along Turnagain Arm is excellent and it's a comfortable way to sit back and relax with no luggage hassle etc. the view of ship as you come thru the tunnel just "hits you"

and

lots of luggage hassles with people who flew out day before etc... please remember to give yourself 2 days from east coast AND to pack a change of clothes for everyone in carryons.

Tomorrow is Skagway.. hoping clouds lift for train. we are doing "Best of Skagway" with a big group.. will let you know if it's worth it.

Did Alaska on Diamond last and continue to prefer these vessels over Caribbean Princess class.. Our next will be on Sea Princess in October 08 and am very excited about that since Sun-Class remain my overall fav. due to size.

Early a.m. so heading off the watch sunset from our balcony.. which btw was worth it.. an aft balcony here is "the best" IMHO

We passed Pacific Princess coming out of Glacier Bay... she looked tiny compared to us! Got an excellent photo of her with glacier backdrop which I will post on return.

Hi Caroline,

I waved to you, this 1:00 PM(approx) from our Dining Room table for two by the window.:D

Got some Great Pics of the Sapphire Princess as we were passing you on our way out, I will post them now with Today's Glacier Bay Pics on My "Live from the Pacific Princess", with Easykruz's help.;)

Have a Great Alaska Cruise, ours has been wonderful, will be in College Fjord tomorrow. Our last day, #51.:eek:

Thanks for the Live, I was wondering who was on it!:)

Jot Bill

Hello Everyone,

I am not on the ship, I am at home in sunny Sacramento, CA. home of the Governator (Terminator for those that haven't seen the movie). Anyway these pictures were taken by Jot Bill who is sailing on the Pacific Princess and drove by:D the Sapphire Princess while in glacier bay. So please thank Jot Bill for providing these pictures. ENJOY!

Easykruz,

Bill:)

Wow... thanks for the pics... can you email one to me at my host caroline address and I will do the same for you when we return??? that would be divine.. our picture of the Pacific is fabulous... we had amazing sun in College Fjord... hope it held out for you.. now it's cloudy and chilly but no rain.. but very "Alaskan". . we were on our aft balcony when you went by Jotworld.

Went on a ship tour today bec. friends wanted to and it was excellent -- "Best of Skagway"... pricey but really a wonderful combo of the train up the Pass to Fraser, Bus down, Liarsville, excellent salmon bake and a trip o the Purple (or is it Red) Onion... for those like DH who have not been here 7 times as I have it was a great intro and our guide was great.

Lots more really nice art gallerie in Skagway over the past 6-8 year.. quality by local or native Artists but way way too many jewelry stores... St Thomas in the clouds I guess? Pricey too... way way over priced IMHO.

Passed Haines a while ago.. very quaint town and a good stop in fall when eagles return...

Italian Dinner tonight with excellent veal although I must say for all the people who waitlist "traditional dining" very few show up. Second sitting was almost empty.

Our team aced Jeopardy Trivia ... you think they woulda known NOT to put the "double jeopardy" question in the "Princess Cruises" category with the Host onboard... a ringer :)

So the question was (let's see how smart you all are without Google:p ): On what ship was "Baywatch, Thunder in Glacier Bay" filmed? If you know when the "winning ship" came out you will have a good idea... I never watched the show ... so didn't "cheat"...

DH and I are scoping out some jobs up here... seriously thinking of a move.. then I will be up very late watching all of you night owls :)

Juneau tomorrow and whale watching with Larry.. hoping for some good sitings...

DH and I were on the Sapphire two weeks ago. In Ketchikan' date=' we tendered in the morning as there were already two other cruise ships at the dock. By 1pm, one of the cruise ships had left, so the Sapphire was moved to the dock.[/quote']

We are sailing on the Sapphire next week. I, too, was concerned about tendering in Ketchikan, so I asked our TA to check on it. His reply was that the Sapphire would indeed dock at the pier - other ships would be tendering but ours would not. I guess we'll see once we get there!!

Either way - nothing is going to spoil our cruise! :D

Happy Sailing to all! :)

Archived