2007 cruisers report on internet cafes

This thread is for responses from 2007 cruisers who used internet services while on shore only, please.

Information can change from year to year; guide books can be out of date before they are published. Places can close or change their policies from one year to the next. The goal is to gather current 2007 information for all the ports of call in one easy to access thread.

If you visited an internet cafe or found a place with internet access that is readily available to the public while on your 2007 cruise on the Baltic, please post it here.

Tell us:

• city,

• street address (and what it is near)

• prices if you have them
  • any additional info such as telephone numbers or web addresses would be helpful.

• do they speak English?
  • was it crowded?

• If you walked out of a place because you thought that it was too expensive or because you had communication problems (language barrier?), you can tell us that as well.

In advance to everyone who shares their information here, a big THANK YOU!

i'm not too concerned about the rate, it's the european keyboards that kill me...I waste so much time..correcting my spelling errors, when hitting the incorrect keys

For one who is able to type "blindly" (without looking) it's always able to click with one key to US-keyboard function and you can type like home.

Right at the bottom you can easily change with one click to "EN" (for English).

All others must have their own keyboards with you and just change (do not forget to have an adapter for the worst case it's not a USB-cable...)

or to have your own notebook with you!

Then you can type and feel like home and do not have the feeling to treat with foreign things!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

As of June 2007, there are two computers available for internet use in the tourist information centre in Klaipeda, Lithuania. I can't recall if it was 1 euro for 15 or 30 minutes, but either way it's a steal compared to what the ships charge. As well, used the internet in the small info/souvenir building outside our ship on the pier in Stockholm. Don't recall the price, but it was very inexpensive.

As well, used the internet in the small info/souvenir building outside our ship on the pier in Stockholm. Don't recall the price, but it was very inexpensive.

Where did you dock in Stockholm? I understand that there are a couple of different locations in Stockholm. Was it well marked that there was internet available and was it very crowded?

Thanks.

We were in Helsinki in early May, we went in the Stockman Department Store. In their downstairs Deli ,think it was called Roberts something, if you buy anything they have 4 computers that you can use for free for 15 minutes.Hubby had a 2 euro cup of very good coffee. We sent email home to all our family and friends everyone said they were very pleased to hear from us. Ask anyone they will tell you where the store is.

Enjoy, we loved our Baltic cruise.

Vicki

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that those who are just returning from their 2007 Baltic Sea cruises will add to the list of places where we can find internet on shore. Let hear from folks on the Fjords and Arctic Circle cruises as well!

• 5 weeks later...

July cruisers--

Where on shore did you find internet connections? Where were they (street address)? How much did you pay? Was there a long wait? Did you have any problems? Did they take credit cards?

Hoping to hear from you.

In Tallinn, just down the street from the TI is an Internet Cafe. It was 25 EEK for 20 minutes

You could buy more or less time depending on what you needed.

As you leave the TI, head towards town hall square. On the left hand side, you'll see a sign that says Internet.. you walk down a flight of stairs, it's kind of in the basement of a building.

They also have printing services for 5 EEK a page if you need to print something.

In Tallinn, just down the street from the TI is an Internet Cafe. It was 25 EEK for 20 minutes

You could buy more or less time depending on what you needed.

As you leave the TI, head towards town hall square. On the left hand side, you'll see a sign that says Internet.. you walk down a flight of stairs, it's kind of in the basement of a building.

They also have printing services for 5 EEK a page if you need to print something.

JStducky -- This is great! Can you remember if they offered any other computer services, in particular, making DVDs from other media (such as storage drives?) Thanks!

PS-- I started looking at your photos. Great shots!!

Thanks! I am working on a review right now. It's taken me way too long to get it up since I've been back. I think I write too much though. In word format its already at about 15 pages and I am only through 2 port stops! I hope to have the review posted within the week.

Anyhow... I'm trying to think. The internet cafe was really in the back of the store. The store itself is a t-shirt souvenir store. I can't remember if they had CD making services or not. I know that the people that work there speak English very well so you could probably ask them. I beleive that the cafe had a web cam so that might be useful to some. Other than that, I'm not positive. Sorry.

Anyhow... I'm trying to think. The internet cafe was really in the back of the store. The store itself is a t-shirt souvenir store. I can't remember if they had CD making services or not. I know that the people that work there speak English very well so you could probably ask them. I beleive that the cafe had a web cam so that might be useful to some. Other than that, I'm not positive. Sorry.

Jstducky, thanks. From the description, this place probably doesn't have what I'm looking for -- but it was worth asking.

P.S --Great dinner table photos --no, actually 'mouth-watering' is a better description! Anyone who want to know about the cruise food should check out your pictures.

Ha! Thanks. People always think I'm weird to take photos of the food. But how else do I remember it? It makes me smile when I look at the photos and remember just how good the food is! I know the table next to me was laughing when they first saw me taking food pictures every night.

Are you looking for a place that can make CDs for you from your memory cards? Good luck. I've heard the crew say that the internet cafe's in Tallinn will be cheaper than anywhere else you cruise to.

I see you're leaving in 11 days! Have a great time. I'm jealous.

Ha! Thanks. People always think I'm weird to take photos of the food.

Are you looking for a place that can make CDs for you from your memory cards? Good luck. I've heard the crew say that the internet cafe's in Tallinn will be cheaper than anywhere else you cruise to.

I see you're leaving in 11 days! Have a great time. I'm jealous.

1. You should do an album that is just the food from the cruise and then start a food thread in the Baltics forum. People always want to know what is served and what the food is like. Someone will say you should post in the cruiseline forum or the food forum but personally I like having all the info in one forum.

2. Even though I have a 40GB photo storage drive I don't trust it. It is magnetic and can be wiped out by accident. I only really trust CD/DVD. I would like to copy stuff on to DVD if I can.

3. Oh my! If you are jealous of me when you just came back then this is gonna be a dynamite cruise!!!

Well, I guess we should let this thread get back to its original purpose: where to get internet on shore in 2007

• 5 weeks later...

We're back.

Danish Viking, thanks for telling us about Boomtown. We never did find the TI for free internet and Boomtown was right there and the price for 1/2 an hour was cheap (maybe 20DKK).

The only other place that we used the internet was in the TI in Klaipeda where it cost us just a few dollars for postcards and internet time.

Though with everyone's help, I knew where to find internet in each of our ports of call.

Thank you all for your input.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone gave us this tip about internet in Helsinki. Thank you!

On floor 1 of Stockman's dept. store at Robert's Cafe you can purchase a drink and receive 15minutes of free time on the internet.

I really appreciated knowing this.

dog

Archived