On Voyager Now...Aft Cabin-VIBRATION!!!

Hi Marylizbeth,

I am so sorry about what you are going through. I can empathize as I was not able to sleep for may hours on Voyager when I cruised in an aft cabin. That's why everytime anybody asks I tell them NOT to book an aft cabin. There are people that don't mind, but if you don't know if you are one of them, why risk it?

I have always felt that these cabins should be disclosed as cabins with a problem.

The problem decreases when they cruise at lower speeds. I hope soon you get some relief!

Hello Cruiseluv--I am aware this thread is about the Voyager. However, earlier on this thread Marleysmom inquired about vibration in the aft suites on the Mariner and I was just responding to that inquiry.

I would fully agree that all TAs should be aware of the Voyager vibration and alert all of their clients to same. I would also agree that since Regent has known about the problem from the beginning, they should provide some sort of a disclaimer statement to those booking aft cabins, particuarly those on the port side. They sell the Horizon View Suites for top dollar.

Having said that, I will add we are among those who spent eleven days in 877 (aft starboard corner) without complaint. We knew about the vibration problem when we booked. But we were on a view-intensive trip (fjords) and were willing to take the risk. We loved the experience. The vibration was, indeed, apparent. But it didn't bother us one bit. I didn't notice it unless Fred brought up the subject. None of our "neighbors" were the least bit disturbed by the problem. We disembarked very happy campers. Just a matter of different strokes for different folks.

Patrick

Hi there

Thanks for the replies...oh yes, the room is still shaking as many others have attested to.

I think that perhaps on Alaska and other inside passage sort of cruises the vibration may not be so bad...but on the North Sea...watch out.

It acts up anytime the ship goes above 14 knots...and the faster the ship...the more we SHAKE!

Also there is so much creaking from the moldings or something. And a lovely touch to our room includes toilet tissue stuffed in between the wall and the molding--a past ingenious passenger devised that to quiet the creaking I suppose. A lovely touch.

Also if you have dinner in the Veranda and sit in the aft section...be prepared to shake--the waiters warned me away most nights.

And one of the staff who must remain nameless secretly confessed to me that "yes, indeed Voyager has a problem with vibration". Seems everyone knows about it but only a few admit the severity of it.

I let my travel agent know...we ain't so happy!

Don't have lots of time to write now..we just returned from a long day in St. Petersburg which was wonderful...but will write more about the trip either later or once I return home.

Best,

M

Note to Suzie & Myron...yes you are on our floor--but you are a good bit down from the very back--which I imagine is a bit more stable. I will leave a note on your door to say hello.

marylizbeth:

So sorry to herar that your problem continues. Indeed it seems as if the "shaking" problem has worsened since we were on the Voyager in a Horizon suite. We experienced no problems as slow as 15 knots. A little above that, there was an acceptable degree of vibration. But on our cruise, the shaking didn't begin until the ship reached about 20 knots. (Notice I said shaking, not vibration. Because what we experienced was much more than mere vibration above 20 knots.) I hope somehow that the rest of your cruise goes better.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Marylizbeth,

I am so sorry about what you are going through. I totally empathize. It's a good idea to let your TA know but I strongly suggest you write a letter to Regent as well. Maybe your TA can suggest who is the appropriate person in Regent to address the letter to.

You know I was just thinking about this. I don't think anyone disputes the fact that the C Horizon suites have a major vibration issue, no matter what deck you are on, but I have never heard anyone mention anything about the Seven Seas Afts suites on deck, 6/7 and 9 and whether or not they have an vibration issue. It might be helpful to hear from anyone who has been in SS aft suites as to their experiences.

It also seems that those suites on one particular side seem to have more of an issue, can't remember which one, but are the C cabins worse on some decks than others? Not that I would ever put myself in a C cabin on Voyager, although on Mariner, would die for a C Horizon suite. Well not literally, but hte Horizons on Mariner are my favorite.

Marylizbeth - which deck are you on, just out of curiosity? Have you talked to others in C suites on other decks? Are they experiencing the same level of vibration? Again, not questioning your issue, just wondering.

ridolphi... see post #15 in this thread for my comments on the Voyager seven seas aft suites. The dolebludgers visited us several times and he can attest to the magnitude of the problem. The only time we really enjoyed it was going through the Panama Canal but of course speed wasn't an issue then.

Oh Ok thanks. Guess I somehow missed all that, but thanks for the info. Will definitely remember that. Don't like the SS aft suite layout on the Voyager anyway, but was just wondering about those suites and guess I missed those posts.:)

Well, Alita and we experienced significant "shaking" problems in Horizon and Seven Seas Suites ( I won't say vibration, as it was beyond that) back in September, 2004. I had seen a few posts that indicated (I hoped) that the problem had somehow been solved or diminished, So I remained silent on the matter for a time. But this thread shows me that the problem is not fixed or diminsihed at all.

Regent knows very well that this problem exists. Regent has given several guests I know of big discounts on future cruises because of it. Regent has paid over $600 on its own travel insurance for medical treatment for my wife because of the shaking suite. Yet Regent continues to book these suites, at premium prices, without any warning of the possibility of the suite shaking beyond livibility.

In doing so, Regent (IMO) is committing constructive fraud -- which is non disclosure of a defect of which one knows, and which should be disclosed to customers. Regent seems to be taking the attitude of "well, let's just book them, and maybe we'll be lucky and go really slow so it won't shake -- and if it does, maybe few enough of them will complain or get sick so we can still make a profit." I'm retired from the practice of law, or else I'd take on a class action on this one -- because it just too obvious.

And it is also obvious that Regent's non-action in this regard is not in keeping with that which is expected of a luxury cruise line. Not even a luxury cruise line can guarantee that I will like the food, entertainment, excursions, service, and somewhat subjective items like these. But a luxury cruise line should certainly know (after repeated credits, medical payments, and such) that certain suites on one of their ships are at times (or often?) uninhabitable due to horrendeous shaking. And a true luxury cruise line should fix this. But if not possible, a true luxury cruise line should warn potential guests before booking of the possibility of this problem in those suites. And a true luxury cruise line should CERTAINLY not charge a premium price for those suites.

I really like Regent, and I am just horribly dissapointed in them for their handling of this situation. It is so out-of-character for them. It's constructive fraud, both under the laws of my state and the state of Florida under which their passage contracts say legal actions will be governed, for Regent to fail to disclose the potential problems with these suites to guests before they book. After reading this recent thread, I'm surprised some Florida attorneys haven't fired up a class action suit already. But (surprise?) I really hope it does not come to that. Instead, I hope that Regent will start warning guests, before booking, of the potential problems with these suites, and make adequate future cruise compensation for those who have suffered from them. And I further agree that these suites will have to be priced considerably less than they are now as a result -- but, hey, they are really worth considerably less than they are now priced!

Thanks,

Richard

Now I'm getting worried. Just booked Penthouse #769 -- it was only PH available. Is that far enough aft to be bothered by these vibrations?

Also, according to brochure diagram, balcony for 769 and others of the PH category farthest aft seems slightly smaller. Is that accurate?

THANKS

Bogey

I'm not an attorney but hardly think that Regent is taking part in "constructive fraud". A TA would have to have his/her head in the sand to not know about it -- perhaps they should be advising their clients about the vibration. CruiseCritic members read it about it at a minimum of every other month.

When I book a cruise (even my first one) -- I asked my TA about cabins, and read reviews about the ship, the food, cabins, etc. If someone books a cabin on an upper deck, aft -- there is more of a chance of vibration, seasickness, etc. Mid-ship -- in one of the mid to lower decks is typically more stable.

It was stated on these boards that the Navigator's vibration is worse than the Voyager. Although that was not my experience, we booked a mid-ship suite on deck 8 -- it was great. Our next Voyager cruise will also be mid-ship on deck 8 (much better than mid-ship deck 10 in terms of noise). Bottom line in my opinion -- not everything is Regent's fault. :rolleyes:

bogey:

On our cruise the degree of vibration in the hall in front of #769 was minimal -- but it was there. (I didn't go in the suite, but am assuming the degree of vibration in the hall just outside the door is an indicator.) If that were the degree of vibration we had in our Horizon suite, I would never have mentioned it on this board. If you want ABSOLUTELY NO vibration # 769 may not be for you. Otherwise, you may be fine with it.

Travelcat:

I stick by my statement concerning "constructive fraud", "duty to warn customers" and all that. Not all TA's know the problems of EVERY ship, and not all cruisers read these boards. And some who do not read the boards book direct through RSSC. So many cruisers have no way of knowing the problem, and I firmly believe (as an attorney) that RSSC has a duty to warn.

But this board is not for discussing law (my bad); it is for discussing cruising. And back to cruising, you can see from my response to bogey above that I do not regard every little bit of vibration as a serious problem worth mentioning. But our Horizon suite was a real "bucking bronc!"

Yes a good TA should advise their clients of the problems, but many TAs don't know and many people book directly with the cruise lines.

Might I suggest just as it has been deemed important enough for all lines to designate "obstructed view" staterooms, Regent might want to consider noting "excessive vibration"staterooms?:confused:

How about "excessive vibration possible" (there was virtually no vibration on our Navigator cruise but I have no doubt that, under the right conditions, it's there.)

Still very concerned about statements on these boards that could result in lawsuits -- this should, IMO not be permitted -- too inflammatory. If everyone who experienced something they did not like or expect on Regent (or other lines), lawsuits could effectively put them out of business. This could be what is meant by "cutting off your nose to spite your face). Statements like those made above give attorneys a bad name.:mad:

TC2, I don't get that.:confused:

I am also an attorney, as most know, and public comment is fine so long as there is "some" truth to it. I have been on the Navigator with its vibration in full SwInG_-_! (Sorry I started to shake:D ), but I would be troubled in finding a legitimate claim worth the effort...assuming I could substantiate that the 90% of the ship that doesn't have the problem, the food and drink that doesn't have the problem, etc. Oh, yes, and that fact that it is a mode of transportation. AND that I didn't benefit or enjoy any of that as a result of the vibration...measured to some unknown standard as being excessive in the eyes of dueling experts.

I could go on, but while anyone can sue anyone for anything, such a suit would be a no-win in my opinion as it would cost more for little, if any, return.

I think there is a far better investment in money taking another cruise and enjoying one's self.

Travelcat:

I filed no lawsuit, and will not file one. But excuse me for saying that corporations should be responsible for warning their customers of possible situations that can be highly detrimental to their "buying" experience, if those situations are well known to the corporations. I suggest that corporations would be less a target of lawsuits if they were more responsible! I spent my carreer as a corporate lawyer whose main job was to insure that MY corportaion acted responsibly so as to AVOID lawsuits. I just wish that Regent, in this limited regard, would do the same.

Travelcat:

Yeah, I have something else to say after reading your post. There are way too many people who are trying to protect corporations from lawsuits, without also demanding that corporations live up to their responsibilties to the public. I hope our country is not one that seeks to protect corporate interests, while allowing the public to get ripped off -- though it seems some are advocating that. Before you become one of them, here is a suggestion. Take your hard-earned money and book a cruise on a Horizon or Seven Seas aft suite on the Voyager. Take the cruise, and report back to us. If you still think Regent is blamless and that a corporation should never be sued for failure to disclose defects, and that comments like this should not be made on this board, I will be greatly shocked.

TC2, I don't get that.:confused:

I am also an attorney, as most know, and public comment is fine so long as there is "some" truth to it. I have been on the Navigator with its vibration in full SwInG_-_! (Sorry I started to shake:D ), but I would be troubled in finding a legitimate claim worth the effort...assuming I could substantiate that the 90% of the ship that doesn't have the problem, the food and drink that doesn't have the problem, etc. Oh, yes, and that fact that it is a mode of transportation. AND that I didn't benefit or enjoy any of that as a result of the vibration...measured to some unknown standard as being excessive in the eyes of dueling experts.

I could go on, but while anyone can sue anyone for anything, such a suit would be a no-win in my opinion as it would cost more for little, if any, return.

I think there is a far better investment in money taking another cruise and enjoying one's self.

Agree Boatman;)

Okay -- I totally confused two issues -- trying to answer both you and Dolebludger at the same time. You had suggested (paraphrasing here) that perhaps Regent could post something about the vibration as is done with "obstructed view". I agreed and was suggesting something like "vibration possible in aft suites" (or whichever ones are most affected).

The Dolebluger posts were mind boggling. No, I did not know you were an attorney -- I certainly agree with your statements (above). I was questioning Dolebludgers "Constructive Fraud" statement and a posting his made on June 23rd ...... this is a quote from a longer sentence "........I am retired from the practice of law or else I'd take on a class action on this one -- because its just too obvious".

So, to clarify again -- I do think Regent could make vibration statements on the brochures for the Voyager and Navigator -- even though the vibration does not always happen. I agree that there is a strong vibration on the Voyager (but not in the suite we were in -- I did my research) as well on the Navigator.

I absolutely do not feel that there should be discussions about lawsuits against Regent unless or until there is something valid to base it on. With two attorneys reading this thread perhaps you know if Regent has any legal recourse against someone making inflammatory statements with the possible intent of causing loss of business.

I continue to post on these issues because there are at least two sides to every story and I feel it is important for people considering voyages on these ships to hear all sides. When I post, I try to assist people based on my experience with Regent (only 3 cruises with one booked). If asked if I would book an aft suite on Voyager -- of course, the answer would be "no":rolleyes:

Sorry, but I don't see anything "inflammatory" about Dolebludger's statements. These are his opinions and his statements. Nothing he has said is a lie , as anybody that has been adversely affected by the aft vibrations could attest to.

I am not a lawyer, but in a society like ours where a woman gets awarded $24 million "damages" over spilled coffee I doubt Regent would have any recourse over Dolebludger's "inflammatory" statements. Plus, who would Regent sue? Cruise Critic? I doubt Dolebludger has his address and phone number on his profile.

OK, I will jump in here.

As a Travel Agency Owner and a Corporation, I have a fiduciary responsibility to inform my clients.

If I KNOW that there is a bad vibration problem then I do have to tell my clients. I can not sell the suite just to make more money. If they did want to book the aft knowing what I told them I would make them sign a disclaimer.

There is responsibility here and IMO Regent has that responsibility to tell me as well as the passenger.

I posted before that I had an aft cabin and I did change it. I believe what is written here by the passengers that have experienced the vibration. I do not go with the .......maybe, maybe not:rolleyes:

Sorry, but I don't see anything "inflammatory" about Dolebludger's statements. These are his opinions and his statements. Nothing he has said is a lie , as anybody that has been adversely affected by the aft vibrations could attest to.

I am not a lawyer, but in a society like ours where a woman gets awarded $24 million "damages" over spilled coffee I doubt Regent would have any recourse over Dolebludger's "inflammatory" statements. Plus, who would Regent sue? Cruise Critic? I doubt Dolebludger has his address and phone number on his profile.

That was meant as a rhetorical question. The thousands of people who have been on the Voyager are aware of the vibration. Talking about it -- sharing information is helpful. Dolebludger's statements about suing Regent were unnecessary and do not help anyone. He is the part of society that claims damages over spilled coffee. Most of us would not even think of suing a company over vibration of a ship. Just wanted to clarify (again).:confused:

Archived