On Voyager Now...Aft Cabin-VIBRATION!!!

Eric and jhp,

Good points! And Eric's experience with this proposal is quite interesting.

Sad but true that complaints reign in this area. Too bad we don't hear more positive feedback. But this is a fact in any business.

Due to last minute booking and booking "guaranteed" cabins when sailing on other lines, we've wound up in the very most fore cabin and very most aft cabin on some ships. (Meaning the ones on the sides, not rear-facing.) These have turned out surprisingly good and we'd take them again. Same thing for cabins right next to an outside glass elevator that many express concern about for privacy problems, though we didn't find to be true. We would almost rather have no cabin on one side than have noisy neighbors.

Lemons into lemonade.

Such a board probably would not work regarding the "shaking stern suites" on the Voyager -- because putting all the accounts together, only one conclusion can be reached. They do not all always shake on every cruise. Why is this so? I'm not enough of an engineer to tell you. The situation is like the '59 DeSoto we bought new, that sometimes vibrated like the dickens at highway speeds, and sometimes did not. (Giving away my age, aren't I?) No mechanic could ever figure that one out. Solution? Sold it.

There would be some negative posts, but still think there would be some very positive ones (I personally have only positive things to say about the suites on the Voyager, Navigator and PG). In terms of "somtimes" the vibration on the Voyager is worse than others, etc. etc. etc.......at least readers would be making an informed choice in terms of which suite to choose.

Having said this -- don't think I want to be the first person to start a thread -- just in case it gets pulled (call me chicken):o

I was on the Voyager for nearly one month, just left a few days ago. Even though there was a little shaking, usually at high speed, it wasn't enough to put me off the cabin I was in. Even though I was working onboard I stayed in the Pax cabin towards the stern. I think it will bother you if you let it. As I said before, it may bother some more than others but not enough to spoil the cruise. I asked around the guests and I couldn't find anyone who had asked to be moved because of this issue.

To answer the question asked, some cruises may have an issue like this as a result of speed, the faster the ship's speed the more vibration you would feel. Some cruises are not as intensive as others as far as making time, so they have slower speeds and therefore less problems with any vibration.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m considering the class c-horizon suite on Voyager for a southern Caribbean sailing in December. Has anyone experienced these vibrations in the Caribbean Sea, or is this mostly an Ocean problem?

This is a port intensive itinerary, so there is not a lot of distance to travel everyday.

As I mentioned much earlier in this thread, I have never experienced any noticable vibrations. I have cruised in Horizon suites in the Caribbean and Transatlantic and will again in the Caribbean in November. I personally love the cabins and sleep very well with what little 'movement' I experience when I go to bed.

TRadle, I believe most of the Voyager itineraries sail return from FLL. If so, there is significant sea time. We did the eastern caribbean route last December -- there was one full sea day scheduled, but that got extended to 2 when we could not tender at Princess Cay. We in fact spent several half-days at sea as well, and the seas were moderately rough at times--enough for people to leave the dinner table in distress. We're doing the western route this December on Voyager-- one full sea day, and a couple of what amount to half sea days as well.

A good portion of our '04 Panama Canal cruise in a Voyager Horizon suite was in the Caribbean, and we did have serious vibration problems. But clearly, this does not seem to be true on every cruise. There seem to be factors at work here that none of us fully understand. All that can be said is by booking near the stern on this ship, one runs the risk (but not the certainty) of a vibration problem.

Archived