Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

Hi Everyone.

It looks like the Radiance of the Seas will be doing her Alaskan Season again for 2012. Anyone know how she compares to the Rhapsody? Thanks.

She's bigger, she's has more glass for viewing and she will, after her dry dock is completed this spring, have more features than Rhapsody.:D Not that I"m prejudice mind you.:p

Here are the upgrades being added to Radiance of the Seas during her upcoming dry dock.

Here are the descriptions for

Samba Grill

Rita’s Cantina

Izumi,

Giovanni’s Table

Park Café

Hi Everyone.

It looks like the Radiance of the Seas will be doing her Alaskan Season again for 2012. Anyone know how she compares to the Rhapsody? Thanks.

At the present time, Radiance is bigger and (I think) a nicer ship than Rhapsody, with more alternate dining venues, Chops, Portofino and Seaview cafe......after the drydock and upgrades, there will be no comparison. As already stated, Radiance will be a "dining ship". With all the windows and new restarants it should be a fabulous experience. :D:D

Where is Izumi going? I wonder how much the a la carte prices are. If reasonable, I don't think I mind the price as much as dress code. No one in my family likes sushi so I'd like to do it for lunch takeout and stay casual. Anyone here been and have input? I'll do a search.

I have been looking at the menu and DROOLING over it! BTW, they have other things besides just sushi for those who don't like it (Me personally, I LOVE it :D) The Deluxe set meal for $23 looks incredibly reasonable!! (Go to the link in post 3908 and then click on "dinner menu")

All great additions!! We tried them all, except Izumi, last week on the Allure. We loved Samba Grill, and I had a dessert to die for there.

Could you tell us a little more about Samba's? There is not a whole lot of information about the menu. I am very familiar with Brazilian Steakhouses, but just really curious how this one operates. What was on the salad bar? (I assume it is all you can eat from there, right?) What was your dessert? Thanks :)

Do you think they will offer the "Chef's Table" every night? (or just once or twice - I sure hope NOT just once)

I wanted to go ahead and book it but they said you can only start making dinner reservations 90 days out (why are you allowed to book excursions so far in advance then? It seems to me that you should be able to book EVERYTHING at the same time - just my opinion I guess:D)

I was hoping to book the CT on the night we are in Juneau until 8pm because I know there won't be any shows that I will miss. I sure hope I can do that.

I just wonder where they put all these new features??

Michael

We should probably have a summary of that, need to dig within these posts to find it but here's what I have.

Seaview becomes Samba Grill

A side area of WJ becomes Ritas

Solarium cafe becomes Park Cafe

Colony Club becomes Chef's Table

Portofinos becomes Giovanni's

I can't remember if anyone knows for sure where Izumi or Boardwalk dogs is going.

On Deck 11 deck plans I see "pizzeria" near the whirlpool. I wonder if the pizzeria will go away and become the hotdog place or if both will be served?

Is the Solarum cafe INSIDE the solarium? Seems like a silly obvious question but it also seems like it would be hard to keep kids out of there if kid friendly food were offered. Is it where I see "pizzeria" on the deck plans that is really where the solarium cafe currently is? If so, I guess that's where Park Cafe is going and still no idea about where Boardwalk dogs will go.

We should probably have a summary of that, need to dig within these posts to find it but here's what I have.

Seaview becomes Samba Grill

A side area of WJ becomes Ritas

Solarium cafe becomes Park Cafe

Colony Club becomes Chef's Table

Portofinos becomes Giovanni's

I can't remember if anyone knows for sure where Izumi or Boardwalk dogs is going.

On Deck 11 deck plans I see "pizzeria" near the whirlpool. I wonder if the pizzeria will go away and become the hotdog place or if both will be served?

Is the Solarum cafe INSIDE the solarium? Seems like a silly obvious question but it also seems like it would be hard to keep kids out of there if kid friendly food were offered. Is it where I see "pizzeria" on the deck plans that is really where the solarium cafe currently is? If so, I guess that's where Park Cafe is going and still no idea about where Boardwalk dogs will go.

The proposed Chef's Table is going into where the current Card Room is located which is off the Colony Club.

Since Izumi and the Boardwalk Dog House are new additions to the plans, no mention has been made as to where they will be going.

Rita's Cantina is going in the aft outdoor section of the WJ which is located on the left side as you are walking towards the aft.

Yes, Park Cafe will be replacing the current Solarium Cafe which is located inside the Solarium.

The proposed Chef's Table is going into where the current Card Room is located which is off the Colony Club.

Since Izumi and the Boardwalk Dog House are new additions to the plans, no mention has been made as to where they will be going.

Rita's Cantina is going in the aft outdoor section of the WJ which is located on the left side as you are walking towards the aft.

Yes, Park Cafe will be replacing the current Solarium Cafe which is located inside the Solarium.

Thanks for the info!

Do you happen to know what the "pizzeria" shown in the deck plan is? Sorrentos? Or is it the Solarium Cafe?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do;jsessionid=0000slwFHTf9JRba1bRNpPwsoC_:15lb93k60?deckCode=11&shipCode=RD&shipProfile=1368&sailDate=1110219&hasNavigation=false

Thanks.

Thanks for the info!

Do you happen to know what the "pizzeria" shown in the deck plan is? Sorrentos? Or is it the Solarium Cafe?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do;jsessionid=0000slwFHTf9JRba1bRNpPwsoC_:15lb93k60?deckCode=11&shipCode=RD&shipProfile=1368&sailDate=1110219&hasNavigation=false

Thanks.

That is the Solarium Cafe and where it says "pizzeria" is where they prepare the food. Anybody who's been on Radiance and has enjoyed crepes in the afternoon, when they were offered, will know this area well. This area is the same on all Radiance class ships.

We have used a few clothes pins on the bottom of those shower curtains. It cuts back on the attacks!

Thanks! :)

Someone else had mentioned that same trick earlier....so thanks to both of you!

Have clothespins already packed in outer zip pocket of my luggage for use. Wonder if that works on those TSA agents? :eek: ;)

That is the Solarium Cafe and where it says "pizzeria" is where they prepare the food. Anybody who's been on Radiance and has enjoyed crepes in the afternoon, when they were offered, will know this area well. This area is the same on all Radiance class ships.

Thanks, I appreciate the info, haven't been on Radiance. So will kids be able to eat at the Park Cafe without entering adult only Solarium space? Did kids eat at the Solarium cafe before?

I hated the WJ on Liberty, liked WJ and Compass Deli on Majesty (and the kids liked Sorrentos right there) so I'm hoping Park Cafe will be a good family lunch spot on Radiance. But if it's inside and adults only space....

Thanks, I appreciate the info, haven't been on Radiance. So will kids be able to eat at the Park Cafe without entering adult only Solarium space? Did kids eat at the Solarium cafe before?

I hated the WJ on Liberty, liked WJ and Compass Deli on Majesty (and the kids liked Sorrentos right there) so I'm hoping Park Cafe will be a good family lunch spot on Radiance. But if it's inside and adults only space....

Yes, we saw children in the Solarium Cafe eating. Have no idea how they will work out the new Park Cafe.

Maybe that's why they are adding The Boardwalk Dog House.

cruisenfever[/left];27937746] to where they will be going.

Rita's

Cantina

is going in the aft outdoor section of the WJ which is located on the left side as you are walking towards the aft.

This probably going to upset a lot of people. Lots of talk on here how much people love the outdoor seating in the WJ. Me personally, I am now worried about the noise since I will be in cabin 1104 :eek: (will the sounds of drunken margarita nights and mariachi bands lull me to sleep? ;) ... I'm just being silly)

:DGreen with envy! I am going on the Radiance June 17. Please fill me in on this ship. Is anyone else going same date? Looked for a Meet and Mingle set up for this date didn't find one. Signed up anyway. LOL Hope to meet some of you all there. Joanniet

:DGreen with envy! I am going on the Radiance June 17. Please fill me in on this ship. Is anyone else going same date? Looked for a Meet and Mingle set up for this date didn't find one. Signed up anyway. LOL Hope to meet some of you all there. Joanniet

Hello Joanniet! Congrats on booking your Radiance cruise! I am also looking forward to my first time on board.

If you have not checked the meet and mingle area for a thread for this date, you may want to do so to chat with your fellow pax before you board. It is a separate section from the RCI thread. If it has not started....now is the perfect time for you to start one up!

Could you tell us a little more about Samba's? There is not a whole lot of information about the menu. I am very familiar with Brazilian Steakhouses' date=' but just really curious how this one operates. What was on the salad bar? (I assume it is all you can eat from there, right?) What was your dessert? Thanks :)[/quote']

When your waiter first comes to your table, he explains the whole process. He brings a gizmo where you turn on a gree light if you are ready for the meats, you turn it to red if you don't want any more meats, or want to take a break. After the brings your drinks and a bread basket with delicious small rolls, you go to the appetizer bar where there is a great variety of choices: salads, cold cuts, breads, cheeses, it was hard for me not to fill up there. There is also a choice of soups and your waiter brings your selection to your table. I wanted to try the gazpacho, but after he told us about the typical bean soup, both of us went for the bean soup and liked it. When we turned on the green light and the parade of gauchos with the different kinds of meats in big skewers began. Some are sliced right off to the serving plate. I only tried a few of them - there are so many choices!

I can not remember the name of the dessert, it is typical of either Argentina or Brazil (can't remember which one) it was chocolate with thin layers inside. When you are ready for dessert, your waiter brings a platter to show you the selections, like they do in Portofino.

I almost forgot! There was also a samba dancer dressed in a Carnival costume, going around dancing and a lot of the guys were having their pictures taken with her.

Speaking of desserts, I am nuts about nuts! - one day in Park Cafe, I saw a little dessert made entirely of sliced almonds so I had to try it. It was delicious!

Speaking of desserts, I am nuts about nuts! - one day in Park Cafe, I saw a little dessert made entirely of sliced almonds so I had to try it. It was delicious!

Sounds similar to a dessert I fell in love with on a trip to Switzerland once--it was slivered almonds held together with a kind of a hard syrup and was in a small tart shell. Yummy! Is this similar to what you had?

Linda (and C. D.)

When your waiter first comes to your table, he explains the whole process. He brings a gizmo where you turn on a gree light if you are ready for the meats, you turn it to red if you don't want any more meats, or want to take a break. After the brings your drinks and a bread basket with delicious small rolls, you go to the appetizer bar where there is a great variety of choices: salads, cold cuts, breads, cheeses, it was hard for me not to fill up there. There is also a choice of soups and your waiter brings your selection to your table. I wanted to try the gazpacho, but after he told us about the typical bean soup, both of us went for the bean soup and liked it. When we turned on the green light and the parade of gauchos with the different kinds of meats in big skewers began. Some are sliced right off to the serving plate. I only tried a few of them - there are so many choices!

I can not remember the name of the dessert, it is typical of either Argentina or Brazil (can't remember which one) it was chocolate with thin layers inside. When you are ready for dessert, your waiter brings a platter to show you the selections, like they do in Portofino.

I almost forgot! There was also a samba dancer dressed in a Carnival costume, going around dancing and a lot of the guys were having their pictures taken with her.

Your description sounds exactly like what our experience was in Rio when we did the ATH cruise on Splendour back in 2008 and were taken to a Churrascaria Restaurant during our day long tour.

I remember our guide briefly explaining the process to us but telling us NOT to fill up on the buffet. After the parade of meats started, we understood why.

If they can recreate that same experience on the ship, the cover charge is well worth it.

Sounds similar to a dessert I fell in love with on a trip to Switzerland once--it was slivered almonds held together with a kind of a hard syrup and was in a small tart shell. Yummy! Is this similar to what you had?

Linda (and C. D.)

It sounds just like that, except there was no tart shell, if I remember correctly. I find that as I keep getting older:eek: I forget things too quickly:eek:

We been to few of RCL ships. This is our favorite. Last year we took the Radiance of the seas for 11 nights and another cruise for 5 nights. We loved the so many different places to sit and eat or get a tan. We loved the entertainment at the mid ship. The crew were all great. I will take that ship again any time.

Short and to the point of my personal observations:

They xray most all bags and confiscate all illegal items brought on board. Booze, travel irons, curlers etc. Even if you pack bottled water, you have to prove that it really is water! All the water faucets on the ship "sprinkle" water and you can't fill up a sink if you want to. Shower water will leak big time onto the bathroom floors. Bed side night stands are so small they hardly hold a pair of socks! No flat screen tv's. I complained my refrigerator wasn't cold enough and was told they are "coolers" not refrigerators! And when you remove a pay item from the "cooler" the ships bar service is electronically notified to re$tock your cooler. I had a Hump cabin and my balcony was very large! While dining in the Wind Jammer, all you hear is the basketball bouncing from the deck above. While playing miniture golf, you smell the sewer gasses or the burning of sewage from the vents/stacks. No more free celebration cakes in the dining room. You have to pay for them as well as fresh squeezed orange juice. On a 5 day cruise, the entire ship ran out of butter on day 4. No 2nd serving of (very small) lobster tail in the dining room. The coffee was like mud in the dining room. Not 1 person at my table of 8 drank their coffee on night 1. They played the same endless audio track from Titanic every single night in the dining room. No more chocolates at night on the pillows. Cabin attendants don't work after 8pm. Breakfast room service was 45 minutes late on the 2nd day of the cruise. I never used them again. $20 deposit to get a pool towel. The Centrum elevators are designed very poorly. Everyone accidently leans against the side wall mounted buttons and the elevator doors won't close. It takes everyone 4 days to figure this out! While the live music in the lobby/centrum is nice, you can never hear the elevators arrive on any/all the floors. Hundreds of people missed elevators all week because of this. Disembarkation took forever which was a direct result of only one row of people can exit the ship gangway. Think about this for a minute.... handicap, walkers, disabled....you just had to stand and wait! Once you got into the main terminal building with the luggage, everything is ok. You just can't get there!

Solarium pool was great. Lobby bar & night club was great as well as Schooner Bar and had excellant entertainment every evening. I enjoyed the cruise with my friends, but I'm not so sure I'll ever cruise with RCCL lines again. The ship is tired and dated. Back to Princess where I don't feel like I'm being nickel and dimed to death all week.

Short and to the point of my personal observations:

They xray most all bags and confiscate all illegal items brought on board. Booze, travel irons, curlers etc. Even if you pack bottled water, you have to prove that it really is water! All the water faucets on the ship "sprinkle" water and you can't fill up a sink if you want to. Shower water will leak big time onto the bathroom floors. Bed side night stands are so small they hardly hold a pair of socks! No flat screen tv's. I complained my refrigerator wasn't cold enough and was told they are "coolers" not refrigerators! And when you remove a pay item from the "cooler" the ships bar service is electronically notified to re$tock your cooler. I had a Hump cabin and my balcony was very large! While dining in the Wind Jammer, all you hear is the basketball bouncing from the deck above. While playing miniture golf, you smell the sewer gasses or the burning of sewage from the vents/stacks. No more free celebration cakes in the dining room. You have to pay for them as well as fresh squeezed orange juice. On a 5 day cruise, the entire ship ran out of butter on day 4. No 2nd serving of (very small) lobster tail in the dining room. The coffee was like mud in the dining room. Not 1 person at my table of 8 drank their coffee on night 1. They played the same endless audio track from Titanic every single night in the dining room. No more chocolates at night on the pillows. Cabin attendants don't work after 8pm. Breakfast room service was 45 minutes late on the 2nd day of the cruise. I never used them again. $20 deposit to get a pool towel. The Centrum elevators are designed very poorly. Everyone accidently leans against the side wall mounted buttons and the elevator doors won't close. It takes everyone 4 days to figure this out! While the live music in the lobby/centrum is nice, you can never hear the elevators arrive on any/all the floors. Hundreds of people missed elevators all week because of this. Disembarkation took forever which was a direct result of only one row of people can exit the ship gangway. Think about this for a minute.... handicap, walkers, disabled....you just had to stand and wait! Once you got into the main terminal building with the luggage, everything is ok. You just can't get there!

Solarium pool was great. Lobby bar & night club was great as well as Schooner Bar and had excellant entertainment every evening. I enjoyed the cruise with my friends, but I'm not so sure I'll ever cruise with RCCL lines again. The ship is tired and dated. Back to Princess where I don't feel like I'm being nickel and dimed to death all week.

WOW....sounds like you had a horrible cruise. :eek:

What's really funny though is that after 12 cruises on Radiance (with 3 more booked for the end of this year) we have never experienced, in all of our cruises, what you experienced in 5 days.

Wonder why they confiscate curlers, but allow curling irons? Oh, and they x-ray "all" bags not most bags.

Archived