Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

Just off the Radiance this morning...had a great time.

Cabin #9256 corner aft was the best! :D

Can anyone tell me if it would be worth it to upgrade to JS #1100 located just over our heads (a fav of many ;) ) from this cabin for my next Alaska cruise?

At the going rate for the current year, it is an extra 1700 bucks versus the #9256 D2 cabin we were in. That would buy a lot of shore excursions. :eek:

I just had something odd happen and I need to ask a question. It has nothing to do with Radiance or cruise ships (not really) but I don't know where else to ask.

Ok' date=' here it is. The US dollar is [i']still[/i] stronger than Canada. (Even if it is only by a few cents) I just used my PayPal debit card to purchase something from Canada. The total was $CAD33 ... why did PayPal charge me $33.92

Maybe I am having a "brain fog" moment, but I am so confused :o

3% (or some fraction) foreign transaction fee. :)

3% (or some fraction) foreign transaction fee. :)

I guess that is it ... I went out of my way to use PayPal because the fee was always minuscule all the times I used it. (for foreign transaction) For awhile, I was convinced there must not be a fee (but I knew that couldn't be true)

Of well, sign of the times I guess. Who ever thought we would be paying more to shop in Canada :eek: My parents (in their early 60's) would never believe it!!

It is a good thing I have already been to Europe I guess. ... I don't think I would ever be able to afford it now!!

Ok' date=' here it is. The US dollar is [i']still[/i] stronger than Canada. (Even if it is only by a few cents) I just used my PayPal debit card to purchase something from Canada. The total was $CAD33 ... why did PayPal charge me $33.92

The US dollar is actually weaker than the Canadian and has been for some weeks (as well as later last year). The difference is due to the USD being weaker, and possibly some conversion difference.

The US dollar is actually weaker than the Canadian and has been for some weeks (as well as later last year). The difference is due to the USD being weaker, and possibly some conversion difference.

Really :eek: :o

I did not realize that. I really thought the US$ was still a few cents ahead. ... Well, that certainly explains it then.

:)

You may be referring to the window washing ladder that slides along when they are washing balconies and windows.

If they have to do maintenance on your balcony, like remove or varnish the railing..........you will receive a note in your cabin that maintenance work will be done.

Here is a picture of the port side aft. You will notice the long ladder at the back. This moves to the center of the ship on rails and is used for exterior maintaince work. The same ladders can be found in the forward part of the ship and are on both port and starboard side.

I think we have an interpretation problem here. What you all refer to as jumpers, we know as sweaters!:D

AFT Port

portaft8yf.jpg

Haha yes Patti, jumpers & sweaters! Thank you for the information on the window washing ladders. I have a balcony on a higher deck. Does this mean that they come and wash the actual doors on the balcony, or only the balcony glass rail with the ladder? Thanks again! :)

I wondered about your interpretation of "latches" . :D If you are in a balcony cabin on deck 7 (Radiance class)...there will be lifeboat covers sticking out in front of your balcony (check the deck plans). Scattered along these lifeboat covers there are service "hatches" , where a maintenance person might pop up unexpectedly in front of your balcony. They probably also might walk along it if necessary.:)

The service hatches are not shown on the deck plans. :)

Here's a picture of the lifeboat covers Coralc is referring to. The second picture shows the extended balconies on deck 7 and the lifeboat cover.

Jeweldeck7balconylookinglifeboartco.jpg

RadianceE1rearview.jpg

Oh yes! Thank you both, this is what I meant! Ah ok, so only for deck 7. We have booked a balcony on a higher deck so should be fine :) Thanks again

Just off the Radiance this morning...had a great time.

Cabin #9256 corner aft was the best! :D

Can anyone tell me if it would be worth it to upgrade to JS #1100 located just over our heads (a fav of many ;) ) from this cabin for my next Alaska cruise?

At the going rate for the current year, it is an extra 1700 bucks versus the #9256 D2 cabin we were in. That would buy a lot of shore excursions. :eek:

Welcome back from your cruise :) Would love to see any photos if you post online!

Have really appreciated all the forum help here! And this whole topic (though I didn't read allllll the pages) just confirms that I picked the right ship.

Questions: Did anyone find the MDR menus for each night?

and

Does anyone know the current movie options. I got the Dec 2010 Compass for the 4 day cruise, but we are crusing this month, March 24 and wondering if it'll be the same movies or if newer ones will be out.

Thanks!

What's the latest on Plumbing issues on the Radiance?

We had no problems at all (had aft cabin) and never smelled anything anywhere or at anytime on the ship. On the Jewel, we had back up problems, bad smells the whole 10 days.

A question about the showers on Radiance - can anyone tell me approx how high they are and if they are fixed or the type with the head attachment connected to a hose?

Thanks guys! :)

They are adjustable in height. They slide up and down and lock to your chosen height much like a microphone. Don't know how high they are at their highest but they are high enough for my 6ft 3" husband. The head attachment is connected to a stainless steel flexible hose and is removable.

They are adjustable in height. They slide up and down and lock to your chosen height much like a microphone. Don't know how high they are at their highest but they are high enough for my 6ft 3" husband. The head attachment is connected to a stainless steel flexible hose and is removable.

Thanks Sheila for the information, they sound like great showers :)

Double post sorry!

I have read about Breakers" and "Tides" on the Radiance, and they appear to be seperate rooms to the main dining room.

Has anyone had their table allocation in one of these rooms or are they mainly used for large groups? I much prefer the idea of the Cascades main dining room. Thanks :)

Thanks Sheila for the information, they sound like great showers :)

They're not that nice. :o They still have the clingy shower curtains instead of doors like they do on Serenade and Jewel. :)

I have read about Breakers" and "Tides" on the Radiance, and they appear to be seperate rooms to the main dining room.

Has anyone had their table allocation in one of these rooms or are they mainly used for large groups? I much prefer the idea of the Cascades main dining room. Thanks :)

Not to worry, they are rarely used and when Radiance goes into Dry Dock in May of this year it has been reported that there are going to be three cabins constructed where Breaker's dining room is.

Have you read about all the wonderful additions Radiance of the Seas will be getting?

All--

And that shower curtain will become your closest friend! It's one of the few design flaws on Radiance. The other is the looooong walk from the Centrum to the aft cabins. There is no aft passenger elevator/stair access.

Frank in blustery and cool SBA:cool:

All--

And that shower curtain will become your closest friend! It's one of the few design flaws on Radiance. The other is the looooong walk from the Centrum to the aft cabins. There is no aft passenger elevator/stair access.

Frank in blustery and cool SBA:cool:

The walk we don't mind to our aft, need to wear off the calories but that curtain has to go!! Won't happen as the shower doors seem to be a total built in thing, I think,...... Not looking forward to it on our long cruise.:eek:

I've found that if you get the edges wet and "stick" them to the side walls it helps. I wonder if there might not be some sort of suction cup out there that would help. I'm going to keep my eyes open.;)

Frank, up way to late, in calm and cool SBA:cool:

I have to agree, the shower curtains are a challenge. Wouldn't it be nice if they changed them out for doors during the dry dock. I'm not hopeful since it would be a huge refit.

Hi Frank, last time I saw you you were helping Maureen and Bill get to the train station after the "Swine Flu Cruise" Hope you guys are well.:D

Hi Frank, last time I saw you you were helping Maureen and Bill get to the train station after the "Swine Flu Cruise" Hope you guys are well.:D

Hi, Sheila (and Bob, too!)--

We are doing well. I had my second hip replacement a month ago today and am doing really well. We will celebrate by doing the Radiance five night coastal right before she goes in for the refit.

I think someone said here that replacing the curtains with doors would mean replacing the whole shower unit. I don't see that happening.

BTW, Maureen and Bill made it on the train just fine. We stay in touch especially because Maureen and I share a birthdate.

Frank in cool but calmer SBA:cool:

Archived