Cruising Solo on Princess

Brneyznfl

Hi Eddie,

Just thought I'd respond to your post...

I think that cruising solo is the best way to travel when one is going it alone. I have found that people are friendly in a way you don't see in the real world. I'd do traditional dining (and mention to your ta that you'd like to dine at a larger table with other solo travellers), join in the different activities on board (and go to the singles get together which is usually early in a cruise), and do some of the shore excursions from the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise and let us know how it goes.

Faith

Hi Eddie:) I am going on my 5th solo cruise in a row in 2 weeks. I agree with Faith, cruising solo is a wonderful way to travel.

I have switched tables once....and ended up with a lovely group of tablemates. And most ships do offer activties and the welcome audience participation:D ...Join in and you will meet people easily that way as well!

Have a wonderful cruise:)

Hi Eddie,

I have gone on 16 solo cruises all over the world and it's the absolute best way to travel for a single person. I've never felt left out or in any way shunned by my fellow cruisers. As a matter of fact, there's always a pretty good number of people who will go out of their way to include you in activities. My best advice to you would be to book a couple of the ship's tours--it's a great way to socialize with your fellow cruisers. You'll probably find yourself making friends and being invited for cocktails with the people you'll meet on the tours. I did a really great 4-wheeled tour of the dunes in Namibia in April and met some really wonderful people whom I ran around with for the rest of the cruise. We still keep in touch via email.

Be open and friendly and talk to everyone at every opportunity and you'll be just fine on your first solo cruise.

1jazzylady,

Are you interested in Alaska on HAL in 2005? Marie mentioned that she may not be ready for another cruise there next year but I think we could change her mind :)

Anyway, I think it's time we had an Cruise Critic Group on HAL - don't you? Don't think I can swing the prices of peak season but late May/early June or late August would work.

Linda

1jazzylady,

Are you interested in Alaska on HAL in 2005? Marie mentioned that she may not be ready for another cruise there next year but I think we could change her mind :)

Anyway, I think it's time we had an Cruise Critic Group on HAL - don't you? Don't think I can swing the prices of peak season but late May/early June or late August would work.

Linda

Hello ALL - I just returned home from Alaska today!! WOW!!!!!! What a fabulous trip. No pictures can do Alaska justice...it has to be experienced! I posted a review on the HAL board if anyone is interested. I thought my solo cruise in June was wonderful, this even topped that one. HAL seems to be very good about placing solo cruisers together for dinner. I met some wonderful friends, and we are talking about a "reunion cruise".

I highly recommend you all consider HAL for your Alaska cruise. Unfortunately, there is no way I would be able to join you next year, but would gladly give input, etc.

Marie

1jazzylady,

Linda

Hi Linda,

Yes, I would interested in sailing on HAL to Alaska. Thanks, Gwen

• 3 weeks later...

I have cruised solo once, with a friend once and am about to cruise solo again on a 17 day transatlantic from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale. All of these cruises were or are on Princess. While I'm not interested in "hooking up" it is important for me to be social and I find that Princess has been excellent for my interests. I've used anytime dining and found that perfectly suited my needs. Even if seated at a table with couples, I don't feel out of place and have met some wonderful people. Folks from the table and from shore excursions have invited me to join them at other activities and I've enjoyed those as well.

One of the comments I get a lot is that I am very brave for traveling without a "partner." That has always amused me.... I live alone and that's not brave, I dine out alone and that's not brave but cruising alone is thought of as brave. Even women traveling with a friend claim they would never consider traveling completely alone. I love it!!

Go for it Eddie and have a nice cruise, whichever line you choose, but I strongly recommend Princess.

Hi Sandy:) I have been told those very same things....people do think it is brave...

I think alot like you, I do most everything on my own, including cruising....I LOVE IT:D

• 2 weeks later...

What a lovely thread :) I have generally traveled solo and most of my cruises have been done alone. I have had no big problems - well one NCL cruise with an extremely weird dinner companion but after the fact, even that was amusing :) And I can HIGHLY recommend HAL for Alaska - probably one of my best trips ever. But then I have a quiet life style and don't do much partying...actually managed to put together a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle in the library over the course of a week - that's a high time for me :)

I do agree that cruising is THE best way to vacation on your own. I get to see new places, talk to new people, read as many books as humanly possible and still feel safe.

I have always done traditional dining- I like the structure and knowing who I will be eating with. but this next cruise - Grand Princess Oct 24 - I have opted for Personal Choice dining. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make the best use of it? What about the specialty restaurants - will I be seated by myself? or do they use the same kind of seating as in the dining room?

Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, with PC dining, you can request to be seated with others. On my March cruise on the Golden, we were a group of 5, and we sometimes sat with others, which was delightful. I don't know if I'd want to dine at night alone, and I thought I'd enjoy the comraderie of having the same table mates each night (assuming I enjoy their company/manner...LOL).

So..I booked Late traditional for my first solo. I'll report back and let you all know how it goes!

I will be taking my 8th solo cruise, the first on a Princess on 4/10/05. I enjoy traveling this way. I did decide to go for traditional dining second seating, because I've always found a bond with the people at my table. Are there any other single travelers going to this cruise. I am in my mid-50's and definitely not a party animal.

• 2 months later...

Hey, Brneyznfl, I'm talking to you...we are neighbors...well almost *lol* I live in Milton!

I am single, and 50...just call me grampa, OK? I just signed up for my first cruise, departing on Jan 31, and I am going solo. Wooohooooooooo! I am starting out small. I booked a 5 day cruise on one of Carnival's older ships, Holiday. It leaves from a fairly local port, Mobile, AL, so I can just drive. That makes my first venture easier and less stressful...*lol* I am slightly apprehensive but I have read enough from these boards to know that it will be what I make it. When I get back I can't make it sound like I had tooooo much fun because my three, young adult but still dependent...*sigh*...daughters will want me to take them when I go again...(see, I am already thinking there will be another one...;) ).

I have discovered a reasonable rate on the Norwegian Star...it's a repo..leaves from LA and ends in Vancouver. May 8, 2005, 7 nights.

I am VERY close to booking. The ports of call are:

Depart LA

Catalina Island

San Francisco

Day at Sea

Victoria

Nanaimo

Vancouver

I have not cruised NCL before, and have been doing alot of Caribbean, with more to come so I am thinking, something new and different, plus great rate, a little over $100 per day, for the lowest category cabin. The ship was built in 2001, and is 91,000 tons. The freestyle appeals to me, however I am a little nervous about dining alone all week by myself.

Marie

"Grampa," hope you have a great time. I can't help but wonder how many single "mature" females are scrambling right now to get a cabin on the Holiday Jan. 31 sailing.

luvcruzing...don't get my hopes up like that...*lol* Us guys are used to things being the other way around...maybe I've stumbled onto something here...;)

Hi Marie:) I don't believe you have to dine alone all week.......Go to the Maitr'd after you board and explain you are a solo cruiser....I think with Personal Choice he can seat you with other folks.

My Dad and his lady friend took their first NCL cruise.......they always like sitting at large tables.....and made sure the Maitr' d put them at 8 and 10 tops every evening.

Has anyone cruised solo on Princess? What was your experience like? Any tips for meeting new friends who are also cruising by themselves? If you choose traditional dining, does Princess make an effort to seat you with other solo cruisers? Thanks for any information you can share. :)

I did the Australia/NZ cruise on Star Princess in Jan 04. Had a great time, my first 'big ship' experience. There we very few singles onboard, and did feel a bit out-of-place.

I did the traditional dining, and no Princess does not make an effort to seat you with other singles.

I don't mind paying a singles supplement, think that sharing a room with a stranger is not a good idea.

I'm off on my second cruise on 16th Jan 05 on the Valor. This time, I'm taking a 'singles cruise', booked it through SinglesCruise.com.

It doesn't seem to cost any more, and I know that there will be hundreds on singles onboard. From polls taken, it looks like that about 1/3 of the singles on thi cruise will be in the 40-45 age group.

good luck!

Marie,

I have been considering the next sailing on the NCL Star. The rate is about 1031. for a solo inside cabin which is pretty good. The itinerary is:

Sun, May 15 Vancouver 12:30 A 5:30 P

Mon, May 16 Cruise Inside Passage

Tue, May 17 Ketchikan 6:00 A 3:00 P

Wed, May 18 Juneau 8:00 A 11:00 P

Thu, May 19 Skagway 7:00 A 5:00 P

Fri, May 20 Glacier Bay

Sat, May 21 At Sea

Sun, May 22 Seattle 7:00 A

This sailing only requires a one way transfer to Vancouver and since I've never been there a short pre-cruise is appealling :D

Linda

Archived