do you think the cruise lines read the board?

Andy99

Do you think the different Cruise lines read the Message board. Its would be a good way for them to see how people are feeling. I was wondering if anyone knew for sure that they did read the boards? And how do you know?

There have been several threads in the Royal Caribbean boards that named specific RCCI crew who read the boards. Most were members of the cruise directors' staffs.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that they have someone from the corporate office reading the boards from time to time. If it's not part of their job, they may do so just for something to do!

I would imagine the Marketing and customer service department would read the boards everyday. I was just wondering if anyone had first hand knowledge if that in fact was the case?

from what I have been told by staff members on 3 different lines, yes, they do read these boards and take them seriously. That does not mean they can or will act on every issue and remember only 1 to 3% of cruisers ever take part in any of the websites, so it is a pretty small representation.

NMnita

There are "readers" who do read all the boards that pertains to the cruise ships and they do report what is said, especially if there is a problem but what they do not do is post or supposely they are not supposed to do so.

Always

Shirley

We were told they have about 6 staff at the RCI corporate office who read these boards. I don't know if that is their job, or if they hold other positions as well.

We were told this because a group of people from CC, along with other groups from other cruise message boards, were invited to go on a pre-inaugural cruise on Liberty of the Sea this past May. We do not know why or how they selected us, but it was lovely :)

I also know that NCL reads these boards. Several years ago I attended a CC meeting onboard NCL Star, several ship officers were there and told us these boards are important to them. Not only did they host the party, they assisted us throughout the week with questions, reservations and sent us small gifts to show their appreciation.

I've also been to CC meetings on other RCI ships, including one Celebrity cruise (owned by RCI).

If you have a cruise planned, check the Roll Call boards, if there is a Roll Call for your cruise, join in. If there is no Roll Call, start one of your own :) !

I think the cruise lines do take this and other cruise boards seriously. Although, to date, RCI still refuses to allow us to bring our own wine aboard, my biggest disappointment with the company.

from what I have been told by staff members on 3 different lines, yes, they do read these boards and take them seriously. That does not mean they can or will act on every issue and remember only 1 to 3% of cruisers ever take part in any of the websites, so it is a pretty small representation.

NMnita

I do agree with you that it is a fairly small representation in number. However, I think that the people here do represent what the majority would possibly be thinking. I know people who cruise fairly often and don't even know about CC, also people who cruise and love it, but don't spend any time here at all.

I do agree with you that it is a fairly small representation in number. However, I think that the people here do represent what the majority would possibly be thinking. I know people who cruise fairly often and don't even know about CC, also people who cruise and love it, but don't spend any time here at all.
You may be right, I guess, that we don't know. I do think it is important to remember those of us who frequent these boards and respond are a bit more outspoken than some. My own daughter will read CC and maybe another site before a cruise but certainly rarely gives an opinion. She is a veteran cruiser, is in the upper middle class catagory and certainly has opinions. She just doesn't participate. NMNita

If I owned a business which could potentially get free feedback from 277,000 customers (some of whom are very loyal), I sure as heck would look at it. Back in the day there used to be news paper clipping sevrices which would monitor papers for articles pertinent to a companies interest/field. Maybe there is an internet equivalent?

Steve

We have asked various staff members on cruises and many are aware of Cruise Critic. Some are readers. A couple of CD's are posters.

The Neilsen Ratings for TV come from (I believe) only 9000 households. Yes, it is more of a scientific survey with balance given to age, ethnicity, residence, etc. But, given the number of cruisers that use these boards, the cruise lines have a good representation of how many of their clients feel.

Charlie

We recently booked an Oceania cruise (which is not a line we would normally consider) but part of our decision to spend a bit more was based on the startling discovery that Oceania's CEO personally reads, and often responds to, posts on that board!

Just imagine... a company CEO actually interested in the opinions and satisfaction of his consumer! :eek: What a concept!

The RC district Rep for my TA said yes indeed they read them and have a dedicated department that reads not only this board but others. What I can't tell you if that is 2 people or 12 but they do in fact read them. In fact the district rep said various threads will be discussed from time to time on conference calls........especially those that deal in false information (which happens from time to time).........

whether or not any real change comes out of the monitoring of the boards.........who really knows...........

Another way of looking at this. These are publicly quoted Companies and don't sponsor these boards out of the goodness of their hearts.:p

This is almost certainly a cheaper way of gauging customer satisfaction and receiving true feedback, than employing a market research company.

I know for a fact that staff in Customer Relations read these boards and one RCCL Rep told me that they often learn what is happening from these boards before being informed by the Company:eek:

We just got back from NCL Dawn this past Saturday. And, I know for a fact that they do read the boards. While in Bermuda last week, we heard about a passenger dying on NCL Majesty. I asked the assistant Hotel Director about it. And, after filling us in on what happened, I said, "Boy, Cruise Critic is going to be ALL OVER this one!" He said, "They already are....I just finished reading it." And, the Hotel Director, the Cruise Director, our concierge all said they read Cruise Critic. It does provide them with some valuable feedback.

Archived