First timer anxiety

Hannah2

I am treating my husband to a cruise on the QE2 on 12th August 2007.

There is very little advice I have found on 'formal' and informal' dressing.

We do not usually go to formal functions, and therefore we have little or no evening wear, or understanding of what will be required.

Also there is the problem of 'tipping' is it 'done' or not on this ship?

What started as an exciting adventure has turned into a huge anxiety. After all I read on the QE2 thread, I don't think we've chosen the right cruise ship for us. Plase can you help and advise?:confused:

If you are unsure what "formalwear" is, watch the Oscars. 99% of the "stars" are in formalwear.

Long evening gowns or cocktail dresses for women. Tux or DARK suit (not a sportscoat) for men.

Go to the nearest department store and check out the womens formalwear. Try stuff on! It's fun, and you'll look great! Dressing formally doesn't take anymore time than putting on a sundress! (Ok, it takes a bit longer for a man to dress than a woman, but still, it's not hard!)

Don't get stressed about a cruise--it's supposed to be fun!!!! I'm sure the QE2 has a brochure with all the info you will need to know what you're getting into! Get one!!! A travel agent can give you one, or order one directly from the cruiseline. Then READ IT!!!!! All you need to know will be in there, from tipping procedures to dress codes!

I'd like to second the comments about the brochure.

If you booked through a TA have the TA get you a brochure. Or you can contact Cunard directly for a brochure. Or you can visit their web site and download a brochure.

The brochure will explain tipping and the recommended dress.

Keith

Hi Hannah,

I also have bene stressing about what to wear for formal night.I went to Penney's and bought a gorgeous dress for 1/2 the price.It is cocktail length.Now I am deciding whether to go get the long raspberry colored one on clearance at the bridal store.

Laurie:confused:

Dressing up for formal nights is a blast! Usually at work I'm wearing decent trousers & a polo shirt or jeans & a t-shirt (I'm a software geek at HP), so putting on a "Penguin Suit" is a real change.

I haven't been on the QE2, but I'd guess that well over 50% of the blokes will be wearing DJs & Dickie Bows (Tuxedos & Bow Ties). On my last cruise, a Transatlantic on the Arcadia, 95% of the guys wore DJs. The women were glamerous, and so the dining room looked like it was full of London Gangsters and their molls :cool:

Seriously, enjoy the formal nights... ! They are FANTASTIC

James

Hi Hannah, I don't mean to stress you out more, but I think you picked the wrong cruise line to try out!!!:eek: SORRY!

We did QE2 4 years ago and my husband response after the cruise was "I will never go on another vacation if I have to wear tux or suite for more than 2 nights on a row!" For a 10 day cruise, we have 3 formal and 4 informal and 2 casual.

For Cunard, it is the most formal cruiseline out there and especially with QE2, for which it is now only cruise in Europe, the atmosphere is even more up there.

For "formal" night = tux or white jacket for the man and long grown (and lot of sparkles) for the ladies.

For informal, it is suit for the boys and dress suit set for girls.

The tip will be automaticly add to your onboard account, each class has their own amount (M &C = 11$ per day per person, for G =13$). So the answer is there is tipping on the ship.

We went on Paul Gauguin 2 years ago, and it is causal EVERY DAY. My husband responded was "we will go on any cruise any day you like if they are just like PG".

My recommendation is take this cruise as a rich history lesson and mark it as a milestone for your travel log because this ship is going away very soon. Then you will appreciate your trip more when you look back in the future.

What do you think, why do people wear tuxedos on formal nights?

I found the answer on my first cruise: Because tuxedos are incredibly comfortable, almost like pyjamas.

Before my first cruise, I was reluctant, too, but once on board, I enjoyed. Nothing beats the feeling to stand at the railing with a cocktail in your hand and wearing a tuxedo!

Just got off the QE2

yes people dress up on formal nights, but on the 14 night trip I just got off we only had 4, and only 2 of those were together (we had 2 seadays together at the start of the cruise).

The other nights are informal / semi formal. The mix depends on the cruise itinerary.

Most people do dress up - and there are a lot of tux's but at our table this year we had a lady who wore separates (skirts and tee-shirts) for all the nights and I don't think any one commented or even noticed (she drew attention to it herself saying she would get more formal gear for her next cruise on QE2 - she wanted to dress up more & she booked for next year while still on board)

The alternative dining, other than room service, is the 'Lido' where it is not necessary to dress to 'code' (though they do ask you don't wear shorts!) Be aware though that it closes last night & you have to eat at your assigned table (its will be an informal night - due to the packing issue, I wore the trousers I would be disembarking in and a dressy top, not exactly over the top).

They also have themed nights in the lido, generally on alternate nights so sometimes it can be busy, sometimes not (we had italian, french, indian and oriental nights that I remember - can't vouch for the food as i didn't attend - i enjoy the ordinary dining room too much)

People make a big deal of it - perhaps because they don't want the idea of dressing for formal nights to be lost, but in practice I think everyone just wears what they want within a range acceptable to the 'code'. Just look like you've made the effort to dress for dinner (ie change out of your shorts:)) and no body will notice what you wear - everyone is too busy worrying about themselves and enjoying themselves.

Strictly speaking you are not supposed to be served in any public room unless to code after 6pm, but I have never seen anyone refused (I've been served in 'daytime' clothes up to about 6:30-7pm before leaving to change for dinner). And there was a man in jeans in the 'pub' at 11pm on a formal night:eek: yes I noticed, then forgot about it.

They do enforce the tie rule on formal nights - one man wearing a light suit with no tie was simply (quietly) asked to select & wear a tie from a selection available at the restaurant.

My cruise wardrobe has grown over the (few) years I have been cruising - I think, after the initial splurge in the first year, I have bought one nice outfit a year - but I still wear some clothes more than once per cruise; a black dress, which is worn as a backdrop for my colourful dress jewellery and a black skirt which is worn with many different tops for informal wear.

Go, don't worry, we are all just ordinary people having a well earned break, and remember not many more people will be able to have the experience of saying they have sailed on the QE2!

Karen

(and if I have just given you exactly the same answer on a Cunard thread, my apologies, I didn't check the name of the poster I replied to there, but much of this reply seems familiar :D)

Why not rent him a tuxedo onboard the ship? Simple, less expensive than buying him a new suit or tux. For you, a black skirt with 2 (or more, you don't say how many formal nights there will be) sparkly tops. I've even worn the same black dress twice, once with a jacket, once without. No one really knows or cared if you have worn the same thing twice.

I happen to think the QE2 would be a lovely choice for a first time cruise. I don't know where you are cruising to, but I love older ships and wish I'd had the opportunity to sail on QE2 at one point. We've been on QM2 and live within an hour of the original QM, visit her about once a year for Sunday Brunch.

New ships are great, they have a lot to offer as well, but I'll bet you will remember this ship with a lot of love and fondness years from now.

If you're like so many people here, you will cruise again, then you can make an investment in formal clothes for the both of you :)

Thanks guys - you've certainly given me a lot to think about, and a lot of good advice.

We're nearly ready - the tux has been bought, plus the white shirts and the dickie bows - and he looks great!

Me - I've got the 'black' plus a couple of great tops, and the 'glitter!

The informal and casual we will have no problem with - that's how we live!

Thanks for the info re Cunards brochure - I've downloaded it.

I'm not going to 'sweat the small stuff' anymore, I've done that!

I'll keep you all posted with our adventure:)

Archived