Children Onboard Azamara

celebrityfan65

We are now in the season where many families will be traveling. I would love to hear from anyone who recently sailed with kids. We have a group going on 7/14 with 7 kids from 10-16 years old. What did they have for the kids to do? Were there organized activites for the teens at night. Also, are they strict with the "no under 12" in the specialty restaurants?

PS...I know that this ship is not designed for kids...I have heard that. We were all originally booked on the Zenith and since it was announced it May we really didn't have many options left to switch to another ship going to Bermuda so we decided to stay with the Journey.

To learn more about the kids' programs (or lack thereof) you need to read the latest Journey review just posted:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=30212

I do not know if the no-kids-under-12 rule is strictly enforced in the specialty restaurants, but the meals there last 2.5 hours. I cannot imagine any child under 12 being able to sit still for that long. I'm sure that you and your fellow passengers will enjoy the dining experience much more if you could arrange for a baby sitter when you do the specialty dining.

It is unfortunate for your group that you have been moved to a ship that clearly cannot accomodate large numbers of children. To keep your kids content, I'm afraid you and the other adults in your party are going to have to plan the activities for them. Bring along lots of board games, plenty of Game Boy cartridges, etc. to keep them entertained.

I just returned yesterday. There wasn't much for that age group to do. the pool is very small. there was a ping pong table. they asked everyone under 18 to leave the club at 11. The older ones I noticed were just sitting around the pool, or eating. The meals in the specialty restaurants were quite long. Didn't see any children there when we went. Unless they just want to sit around the pool, I didn't notice much for teens to do on this ship.

Just returning from the 6/23 sailing (our 1st cruise) and we've already been to the travel agent to get information for our next. My wife and I sailed with our 17 year old daughter and 14 year old son. We all had a great time. Since we're new to this we had nothing to compare it to so we just went with the flow. My daughter is usually the one who doesn't want to have anything to do with family activities, and even she was talking about another family cruise before this one ended.

Regarding youth activities, there were two groups: Shipmates ages 3-9, and Ensigns ages 10-17. My son participated in almost every activity, while the rest of his time was spent with 4 or 5 new friends he made on-board. My daughter observed a few of the activities but mostly lounged by the pool or hung with us. She was very content with the shows, piano player, art displays, and movies. She did meet a few guys, and I would find them on the sun deck listening to each other's iPods.

Here's a sample of the activities for the 10-17 age group on our last day Friday, June 29th - At Sea

Time - Location - Event

----------------------------------------

10am - Looking Glass - Friendship Bracelets

11am - Looking Glass - Playstation 3

2pm - Looking Glass - Family Scavenger Hunt

3pm - Looking Glass - Boat Building Competition

4pm - Poolside - The Great Boat Race

4:15pm - Poolside - Ping Pong Tournament

5pm - Looking Glass - Board Game Bonanza

8pm - Looking Glass - The Newly Met Game

10pm - Windows Cafe - Tribond Trivia

10:45pm - Windows Cafe - College Night

11:30pm - Michael's Club - T-Shirt Signing and Address Exchange

My son chose to stay on the ship with his friends and youth staff rather than go to the street fest on Wednesday night, or Elbow Beach Thursday morning to snorkel the shipwreck. We had a hard time tearing him away for family time. Most evenings I'd find him in Michael's Club with a staff member and a dozen or so teens either chatting, playing word games, or Playstation Portables (they had 8 and would each take turns). They also connected up a Nintendo Wii near the end of the cruise. The youth staff (Jennifer, Michelle, Kaitlyn, Veera) were all great.

We will cruise again in a few years, and if the Azamara Journey was still offering the same itinerary and activities, we would sign up. We can thank the Journey and crew for giving us a great first cruise, and for setting the bar high as we shop for our next cruise.

-Tim

Thanks so much for the information. :D Exactly the type of info I was looking for. I think that the kids in our group will do just fine. We were on the Horizon two years ago and sounds like the same type of activities that was offered then.

Timber,

We were also on the 6/23 sailing celebrating my parents 50th anniversary. We were a party of 11, 5 kids ages 9-17. I believe my 14 yr old son and 2 nephews and niece probably hung out with your son. We were a little worried about the kids programs (originally booked on Zenith) but were pleasantly surprised. We would have preferred a "teen club" or someplace the kids could have stayed with music and dancing but everyone had a great time. My 17 (2 months shy of 18) year old was a little lost, getting kicked out of the Looking Glass, but eventually found kids his own age. Cruise Director stated 150 kids on that cruise, I think that surprised even them.

Also we all ate at Aqualina on the first night and loved it! A beautiful sunset! We would tell anyone with kids, not to worry. There was usually always something for them to do. We actually had to wait up for them some nights!

We celebrated a birthday and anniversarywith 15 in Aquallina on Friday night.We had 5 children from 9-16 who were treated royally.

The atmosphere was lovely, the sunset beautiful and the food truly outstanding. Aqualina gets our highest praise. Dominique gets our highest praise.Of course, our children looked lovely and behaved beautifully to fit the occaision and atmosphere.

• 2 months later...

From the Azamara web site's FAQ:

Q.

Will there be a children’s program on Journey and Quest?

A.

For the majority of the Azamara Journey Bermuda season (the 5/19 - 8/25 sailings) , we will have Youth Staff onboard and a full X-Club Youth Program. The activities will closely mirror what would have been offered on Zenith, however there is not a dedicated venue/facility. Post Bermuda, Azamara Cruises will no longer offer any formal children's programming or have Youth Staff onboard. On port days, shore excursions deemed "easy" may be more suitable for families with children. Additionally, we will be offering rentals of Sony PSP (Portable PlayStation) units.

We will also offer the usual group baby-sitting services as conducted by the Youth Staff at $6 pp/hour (Afternoon Party 12pm-2pm, Dinner Party 5pm-7pm and Slumber Party 10pm-1am). In-Stateroom baby-sitting is conducted by Housekeeping and is based on limited availability.

This hardly sounds like an adults only policy. I am neutral on whether a public accomodation/cruiseline should charge full price for infants as a way to discourage their presence, but lets stop regurgitating that Azamara has an adults only policy. There is no rule that OP is not entitled to bring their child onboard if they are willng to pay full fare, nor is it inconsiderate simply to do so. Presumably the parents will consider the quiet enjoyment of their fellow passengers and act appropriately.

Moreover, having paid the full fare OP's child is entitled to all perks/credits offered all other full paying pax. If RCL failed to advise they were subtracting a $30 value/ shipboard credit from the child's cruise package, it must compensate the parents who paid the tab. That's should be obvious to any fair minded person.

There are lots of things on a cruise that are included. You don't get money back if you don't use them.... And it is their decision not to go to the specialty restaurant. They could get a baby sitter. They choose not to.

Wrong factual assumption. It was not the OP's decision not to go to specialty restaurant with infant. It was RCL's decision to prohibit infant from that perk. OP had no choice.

No. Azamara is not an adults only line. HOWEVER, they are NOT child friendly, so those with children had better be prepared to use all of their time entertaining and or disciplining their children. Any babysitting is done by HOUSEKEEPING.......that wouldn't sound appealing to me if I had or even wanted children.

Second if you look not only at the size of the cabins, but the layout......The MAJORITY are layed out for TWO occupants. There are NO upper berths. However, like anything else there are exceptions. There are a SMALL number of rooms with a single size sofa bed. So in reality, Azamara IS set up to deal with only two persons per cabin, but has minor ammenities to accomodate a few 3 in a cabin parties.

I don't really care how well behaved someone thinks their child is....I don't want to dine with them. I have in the past and have realized that for all good intentions, most parents either are bad tablemates because they allow thier children to do whatever they want, or the parents are so involved with their children there is NO adult conversation and it becomes all about the children. Sorry, I didn't create them, I don't think they're cute, they are not my problem and shouldn't be forced upon me against my will .

As for the cruiseline telling each and every passenger its policies. They are in print, so they don't have to. I think its time that some travelers took some PERSONAL responsibility and did their homework before they decide to take a trip on a 'pretty boat' or 'party in the Caribbean'.

And I have to agree with a few of the posters regarding 3/4 occupancy vs. reduced rates.

Azamara as well as Celebrity are ADVERTISED as more upscale ADULT lines. While X does have a good childrens program, its intent is to keep the kids busy and OUT of the rest of the passengers way. Azamara on the other hand is saying "sorry, no childrens facilities..might want to look elsewhere" By not reducing costs based on age, they are in effect saying, if you travel with us...you have to pay the full and 3/4 fares regardless...Other lines like Disney and Costa...etc...Offer dicounted rates based on age. They are in effect saying "bring us your families, and children and we'll cut you a deal because we know how expensive it is to raise the little demons"...

For me, I'm personally very content with those policies.

Dave:eek:

From the Azamara web site's FAQ:

Moreover, having paid the full fare OP's child is entitled to all perks/credits offered all other full paying pax. If RCL failed to advise they were subtracting a $30 value/ shipboard credit from the child's cruise package, it must compensate the parents who paid the tab. That's should be obvious to any fair minded person.

Sorry, they don't have to compensate for not giving something complimentary when they state that there is an age restriction for that restaurant. And they are not subtracting anything, they just are not giving something for free that a baby can't use. They don't even have to give the adults a complementary meal in the specialty restaurants. They could stop doing that tomorrow. It is complementary, that does not make it an entitlement, part of the cruise price. Also as I posted it is not a credit. You never see a charge. There is nothing on your bill. No deduction of the specialty restaurant charge. And finally the regular charge at the restaurants is not $30. It is $20 for Aqualina and $25 for Prime C.

Wrong factual assumption. It was not the OP's decision not to go to specialty restaurant with infant. It was RCL's decision to prohibit infant from that perk. OP had no choice.

Anyone would know that infants can't do everything that adults do. The OP chose to take an infant anyway.

I understand the desire to have a kid-free environment, and generally favor that myself. I just don't happen to think infants necessarily fall into that category. I don't mind the idea of an infant sleeping in a carrier on the floor by the table while Mom and Dad eat.

The OP said her child would be "1", which really covers the time from "infant" to "toddler", so if she was talking about an 18-month old who would sit at the table, then sure, that would introduce the "kid" element that could detract from the ambiance. But do people really mind a new mother needing to keep her infant with her at all times?

Really not trying to get into a battle with anyone, just sharing my personal views.

I understand the desire to have a kid-free environment, and generally favor that myself. I just don't happen to think infants necessarily fall into that category. I don't mind the idea of an infant sleeping in a carrier on the floor by the table while Mom and Dad eat.

The OP said her child would be "1", which really covers the time from "infant" to "toddler", so if she was talking about an 18-month old who would sit at the table, then sure, that would introduce the "kid" element that could detract from the ambiance. But do people really mind a new mother needing to keep her infant with her at all times?

Really not trying to get into a battle with anyone, just sharing my personal views.

It should be understood that when discussing a policy like this that what happens on the ship in practice could be different than the written policy. If the other person feels strongly about taking the baby to the specialty restaurant she should ask when she gets onboard. It is possible that they will allow an infant in a carrier despite the written policy. A lot of times if you ask for something politely and nicely you will get it even if it does bend a policy. My experiance on Azamara was that they go out of their way to make you happy.

Speaking as someone who HAS BEEN in a cabin next to an infant that screamed at all hours of the day and night.....My opinion differs from yours. And after getting no response for the noise from the staff I resorted to pounding on the adjoining wall everytime that little rat started screaming.

While adults can be rude and noisy, they quite often know better and change their ways when approached. An infant doesn't know any better and will continue to act as it does until learns what is appropriate and unappropriate behavior..Until that time they should not even be allowed to cruise, or fly for that matter.

As for the cute baby in the carrier on the floor. I try not to put anything on floors, let alone babies. And it could be dangerous for both the baby, passengers, and staff it someone wasn't watching and tripped over the baby in which case the parents should be held responsible and liable for any damages.

Not flaming, just stating my opinion also.

Dave:eek:

BTW: I agree with the other posters...... complimentary anything, is not a charge, but a 'perk'. ' Perks' have no value if not used, and the line has the right to set its own rules as long as they are posted. Its up to the consumer to find out the correct information.

Buyer beware.

The inflatable pool idea is a great one!

I'm curious about how or why you settled for paying a full fare for him to share a cabin (presumably with one of your family, not you.) Is this just because he's the second passenger in a cabin, not the third, or because they have (the usual) punitive single supplement?

Speaking as someone who HAS BEEN in a cabin next to an infant that screamed at all hours of the day and night.....My opinion differs from yours. And after getting no response for the noise from the staff I resorted to pounding on the adjoining wall everytime that little rat started screaming.

While adults can be rude and noisy, they quite often know better and change their ways when approached. An infant doesn't know any better and will continue to act as it does until learns what is appropriate and unappropriate behavior..Until that time they should not even be allowed to cruise, or fly for that matter.

Ah, well, you have broadened the topic - you don't want the child on the cruise at all. Not having had the "pleasure", I hadn't thought about the impact of having an infant in the next room. Of course they cry, and that would be very annoying. I can see how that would ruin a cruise. While most young babies will sleep through dinner if timed properly, they will almost certainly be up and screaming at some point when adults on normal schedules want to sleep.

I wonder how the OP plans to handle this situation. She says her child is well-behaved and she and her DH are quick to remove him when he starts crying - do they plan to take him away from the cabin area every time he gets fussy?

I imagine a few days of having an infant in the next cabin would convert me to the "no babies allowed" position as well. :eek:

If the cruise charges a 3rd person fare why do you think a child isn't a person? The child fare should be the same as any age PERSON, after all they are a third person in the cabin. A child causes more work for the staff then an adult. Ever notice the mess around and under a chair a child has dined at? The cabin stewart has more work making up a crib and picking up after a baby. The trash containing dirty diapers in itself is reason enough to charge extra!!

This is shy God invented Disney Cruise Lines. If one absolutely HAS to cruise with a one year old that's where they belong, with a huge group of other screaming, crying, attention seeking peers.

Palo's on DCL is an adult only specialty restaurant. You have to be at least 18 to get in. No if ands or buts about it. If your not old enough, you do not get to enter the restaurant.

The other area they won't let a baby in is the pool. The policy is that the child has to be potty trained. The reason for this is that if there is an accident in the pool they must drain and scrub it.

On Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas many passangers complained and were very angry to the point where security had to be called to inforce the rule. I can see both sides since babies want to swim and as your saying pay a hefty fare while others dont want to swim with whatever might be in a baby's diaper. All kind of diseases are spread that way.

I totally agree with your point about the price they charge for babies especially since there imposing restrictions on them. BTY, I would love to share dinner with a one year old baby even in the specialty restaraunt. Babies make :) I think the well behaved child and parents suffer because most people are not as considerate as you are.

I do hopeyou enjoy your cruise. Were just home from the Journey and it was awesome.

Nancy

Okay, I am going to change the entire thought. We were sitting in first class, which we paid for. There was a 2 year old child also in first class. We had one of those flights where we sat on the tarmack for 30 minutes. The 2 year old screamed the entire 30 minutes. Everyone complained. We were told the airline could do nothing because the 2 year had paid the same amount as us to be on the flight. Did I enjoy it? No. Did I think the parents should have sat in Coach? yes. What would I have said if I was in Coach? I really felt sorry for those parents. Sometimes you are placed in a position you wished you were not in. When I travel without my children, I hope to see no one under the age of 30. But when I travel with my children, I hope they behave the way I have taught them. I like luxury crusie lines. So I take my children on luxury cruise lines. I hope they never bother any of you.

He probably will not be allowed in the pool or the hot tubs even if you put him in swim diapers (or in his birthday suit). Swim diapers will not keep in any fecal matter should he have an accident. This is a rule on many cruise lines.

I have seen some people with babies bring with them a small inflatable pool the baby can play in.

Current CDC/Coast Guard regulations would prohibit any non-potty trained child from entering the pools or hottubs. I belive most cruise lines have even stopped using their kiddie pools because of the latest regulations. Last year we were on a cruise where some unthoughtful parents took their baby into the pool and forced the cruise line to close the pools, drain, clean, and than refill...which took several hours during the hottest part of the day. The following day these parents repeated the event and again the pools were closed for cleaning. At the next port the family was forced to exit the ship. These health rules would also apply to any adult who needed to wear diapers.

In fact, I am pasting the policy that is currrently on the Celebrity/Azamara web site:

Age Policies

Facility Age Requirement

• Thalassotherapy Pool*: Age 16 and over*

• Theater: Under age 16 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian

• Pools**: Guests must be fully toilet trained to enter the pools or whirlpools

• Whirlpools**: Under age 16 must be accompanied by a parent or adult

• Ports of call: Under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult

• Bingo: Under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult

• Fitness Center: Age 16 and over

• Aqua Spa: Age 18 and over. Ages 13 through 17 may only be present while participating in scheduled

treatments

• Adult Night Club/Disco: Age 18 and over (see Alcohol Policy)

• Casino***: Age 18 and over (except Alaska***)

**United States Public Health Department Policy (USPH) prohibits persons who are not toilet trained

or use diapers, pull-ups or swimmers from using pools or whirlpools. Royal Caribbean is exploring

ways to provide swimming options to those who are not toilet trained. To determine if USPH approval

has been received and such a capability is available on a particular ship, please contact the ship's

Guest Relations Desk.

Hank

Love babies, BUT when I see passengers with very young children it always seems to be more trouble than it is worth. Call me a curmudgen(Spell??) but I hate being run down by strollers. Babies grow up fast and sometimes parents need to put off their "wants" until that happens

Archived