Live from Millie 6/30-7/12- Damage

berryhappy24

I love how the OP knows that it was an avoidable accident! I understand being unhappy about it but it is not the end of the world. I hope that things get repaired by my July 24th cruise but level heads should prevail.

I don't think that the rocks moved and slammed into the prop.

Regards

I love how the OP knows that it was an avoidable accident! I understand being unhappy about it but it is not the end of the world. I hope that things get repaired by my July 24th cruise but level heads should prevail.

Because the person on the bridge was not paying attention. How did they get so close to the rocks.

Doesn't surprise me Celebrity is going down hill, both on their ships.

I think it's way too early to jump to conclusions. While the OP stated "someone wasn't doing their job", we have no way of verifying the accuracy of that statement. Was it passed along by a crew member or during an official announcement or is this just gossip being passed amongst the passengers?

We have all seen examples where the initial reports of an incident are highly inaccurate, so I think it's better to wait until we know more before passing judgment.

In the meantime, I hope the people currently on Millennium and those with bookings in the near future will not have their vacations adversely impacted by this incident.

Chris

You can't believe what it took to arrange this vacation. I don't know what to do. This is my first cruise. I was supposed to spend my birthday in Venice next Thursday. Someone tell me something encourageing!!!!!:eek:

You can't believe what it took to arrange this vacation. I don't know what to do. This is my first cruise. I was supposed to spend my birthday in Venice next Thursday. Someone tell me something encourageing!!!!!:eek:
You don't know that your cruise is canceled. Right now I would work under the assumption that it will be repaired in port and everything will be fine. Until you hear otherwise you just can't panic.

A quick reminder on this thread, folks. Lots of people are concerned and upset at this point. We ask everyone to be considerate and post within our guidelines.

HISTORY and anyone else sailing soon ~ call your TA. That's the first thing I'd do. While I'm sure you want to scream at this point, you'll probably have to wait a little while to see what the status of the ship is. But I'd let your TA know you are aware of the situation and you want an update immediately as soon as they have information. You can also let them know that you are monitoring the situation here on Cruise Critic (information often seems to be reported here quickly) just so they know you are staying on top of the situation, too.

We're all hoping for the best for you.

I am literally having an anxiety attack

I feel very bad for those on the ship who have had their trip altered. Florence is an incredible city and would love to go back. Sorry, that didn't make you feel better. Hope there is a credit or something to compensate. For those of you who are waiting to go I feel your pain and anxiety! I know the time, money, anticipation etc. etc. that goes into planning one of these trips. I do hope it gets worked out and all will be well!

Will be thinking of you!

I am wishing everyone on baord a safe trip with the rest of their ports intact (not sure of your itin) & keeping my fingers crossed for those with upcoming trips. Has anyone telephoned Celebrity yet to see what the official line is going to be?

They said there was an incident. The repairs are being done in Rome and will be completed by Naples. The only cruise effected is the present one. The ship will be in Venice as planned on July 11!!:D

Captain's Club people have received an email stating that M's propellers struck submerged rocks, that repairs are being made, that the reduced speed will affect the next three ports of call but that the next sailing should again be "normal".

Good luck to all who are on the next sailing. I hope you have a great cruise.

I am sure the people on the current cruise will be compensated in some way because that is the history of Celebrity. I do hope that their cruise isn't to horribly disrupted and that they are able to able to enjoy the rest of their cruise.

I wouldn't mine problems like this on a Caribbean cruise (even if it were ports I had never been too), but it would upset me on a Mediterranean cruise because it's just not something I do very often, well have never done yet).

My wife and I may be in the minority on this one, and as they say about other things (including cruises), 'your mileage may vary'. But I'm willing to keep an open mind, karynanne. If we'd been there off-season the experience could have been quite different. And we'd go back any day and spend time in the surrounding towns and countryside. Didn't help that we stayed in a mosquito-infested overpriced sauna of a hotel room, and got little sleep. I suppose it's like a first impression of a cruise line or ship -- sometimes things just snowball and never recover.

Yow, I can see why your first impression was a negative experience. But if you have the opportunity to ever visit Florence again...do so. There are so wonderful hotels. I stayed in a beautiful Sofitel. In the middle of the city...actually right near the Duomo, and they had sound-proofed the rooms.

Sorry...got a little off topic here.

For those that are anxiously awaiting news on the Millie...just breathe deeply, and keep positive thoughts for a great outcome.

Karyn

Yow, I can see why your first impression was a negative experience. But if you have the opportunity to ever visit Florence again...do so. There are so wonderful hotels. I stayed in a beautiful Sofitel. In the middle of the city...actually right near the Duomo, and they had sound-proofed the rooms.

Sorry...got a little off topic here.

For those that are anxiously awaiting news on the Millie...just breathe deeply, and keep positive thoughts for a great outcome.

Karyn

She says they will not hear anything about the July 12th Sailing til tomorrow or Thursday - Celebrity says they think they can fix it in Rome - but will not commit til they remove the props.

Earlier today I received an e-mail from a friend on the Millie. I believe they are in a "FV" stateroom. According to him, he is receiving a $750 ship board credit and an additional $150 for the 3rd and 4th persons.

I also understand there was a group of 40 people who had not met the ship until yesterday - rumor is an apparent problem with United, don't know anymore than that - but I really feel bad for those individuals. Imagine being stuck with your air carrier, knowing your trip is continuing on without you, and when you finally get there your ship is damaged - how frustrating that would be!!!!

Pam

Hi, We also are going next wednesday the 12th in venice with a dozen people. I spoke with Celebrity about 10pm EDT 7-3-07 and they stated that it would be repaired. I think that we need to speak with them daily to make sure. We are coming from Boston and it's a long way to come home without cruising!!

Hi,

I can only assume from what has been said that Millennium carries spare prop blades onboard, and these can be changed without the need to dry dock the ship? Lets hope this is true, and that there has been no damage to the propulsion pod.

Fingers crossed for all of you

Ian

We were on the Galaxy 6/1/07 and it ran on only one prop the entire trip.

This was not mentioned at all to any of the passengers.

Painting missing from my cabin.

Good luck trying to get credit. They are claiming I left the painting behind.

Many unhappy passengers who couldn't sleep.

Leave lots of time to get out FCO we waited 3 hours and they had to delay the flight.

Earlier today I received an e-mail from a friend on the Millie. I believe they are in a "FV" stateroom. According to him, he is receiving a $750 ship board credit and an additional $150 for the 3rd and 4th persons.

I also understand there was a group of 40 people who had not met the ship until yesterday - rumor is an apparent problem with United, don't know anymore than that - but I really feel bad for those individuals. Imagine being stuck with your air carrier, knowing your trip is continuing on without you, and when you finally get there your ship is damaged - how frustrating that would be!!!!

Pam

Pam....We just got back from the Millie 6/18-6/30 cruise. Had a wonderful time, but the vacation was slightly dampered by the fact that we spent most of Saturday and Sunday in airports. Here's what happened...We got off the ship around 8 and made it to the airport around 9 a.m. At some point a representative from U.S. air told us that our flight was to be delayed (and maybe cancelled) until later that evening (we were supposed to leave at 12:10) Seems the flight out of Philidelphia hadn't even left yet and, if it did, we wouldn't be able to leave till the evening. Turns out we left at 9:30 p.m. I can't help but think that there must have been quite a few people on the flight to Barcelona that missed the ship because of this (we were told the plane was broken and they needed to get parts). And then all this happens with the ship! My heart goes out to those people! To finish my story...our flight got into Phili at midnight and the connecting flight to Cleveland wasn't till 9:30 Sunday morning. We were given a voucher for a hotel, that we had to call and find a room (the voucher was for $79!...not near enough!)...well..it was 4th of July weekend in Phili and no rooms available, so we had to sleep in the airport! This is minor, however, compared to the poor travelers on the cruise now, especially those who were on U.S. air!:eek:

Oh yeah...and I forgot to mention they lost three of our luggage...only to receive late the next day. Ugh!

No comment about the ship situation but IMO, Florence is an incredible city. I have visited there 15 times and am going back this fall.

IME, most all European ports are a zoo in the high summer season. Florence is no different and I always try to schedule my visits in the least popular times of year for anywhere in Europe.

Archived