Live from Millie 6/30-7/12- Damage

berryhappy24

I, too, was underwhelmed with Florence. Very boring, no scenery to speak of, there was 1 scenic overlook but too crowded to get into, overpriced (17 E for 2 draft beers, puleese). One good thing, you could walk into and out of any restaurant/bar to use the bathrooms without having to buy anything !

MaryAnn

I just got off the phone with Celebrity and was told that the prop has now been fixed and will not be effecting the next sailing.
That is great news. I do hope this ship has uneventful sailings for sometime to come.

I, too, was underwhelmed with Florence.

Just curious ... did you know in advance what you were interested in seeing in Florence?

I agree with Caviargal ... an incredible city, but best visited outside of the busy summer months.

this is a little off topic but I can understand why someone would not have the same impression of a place-depending on time of year.

The first time I went to Italy I fell in love with Venice (it was late March). The second time I went to Venice was in July- during a heat wave. It was brutal. I still enjoyed it but the rest of my group, who had never been to Venice thought it was over-rated.

I have been back to Venice twice since (once in July and another time in October) and it is nicer off season.

Florence is a lovely city and there is so much great artwork- but with the crowds it isn't as much fun to explore. I think you have to stay in a place for a couple days to really appreciate it.

See, now, Venice for us was much better. I've heard complaints about the heat and smell of Venice. We didn't experience that, but had a great time wandering around, getting lost, doing the pub crawl tapas thing, taking in art and music, and soaking in the ambience (day and night) of that wondrous sinking city. Also helped that we had great weather and nice accommodations.

Yet I realise Venice doesn't do it for everyone. Of course, it takes all kinds. Personally, I like cities with whimsy, such as Prague, Venice, and Barcelona. Others are not moved by these places. It's what makes the world go around. :)

No comment about the ship situation but IMO, Florence is an incredible city. I have visited there 15 times and am going back this fall.

IME, most all European ports are a zoo in the high summer season. Florence is no different and I always try to schedule my visits in the least popular times of year for anywhere in Europe.

I am thinking of taking the Galaxy next June 20th. But after your comment would I be better going in September?

I am thinking of taking the Galaxy next June 20th. But after your comment would I be better going in September?

Just read about the scorching heat in the Mediterranean in the summer. May and September, October are much better.

We were on the Millie last July in the Med. and the heat was very bad, but that didn't stop us from having a great time. The ride on the cruise ship standing at the rail going into Venice is a vision that was amazing. Sure it was hot, but bottled water was our friend. Florence was nice, I don't remember mosquitos or bugs. Took the tours and had a great time. Hope everyones' trip turns out as they expected and that the Millie is well on her way to being mended.

We went to Florence in April and did alot of research beforehand. The things that sounded interesting (Doumo - Accedemia, etc) were only ok .

But that's about all the city has, other Italian cities have so much more.

M.A.

Sorry for the delay in posting, we've had sporatic internet service.

We did miss Florence yesterday and arrived in Rome last night, midnight. We we informed that partial work would be completed today with the remainder to be completed in Naples. We spend a lovely cool day touring Rome and boarded the ship to hear an announcement from the captain. The new propeller blades, 5 need to be replaced not the originally reported 3, did not arrive today. They are expecting the crew and blades to arrive tonight and work will begin about midnight, it's currently 8:15pm Wednesday. We will stay in Rome tomorrow and miss Naples as far as we can tell. The captain was pretty vague, we may have more info before the evening is over. Because of a quiet bridge, the rumors have been flying. Everything from the firing of the captain to canceling the cruise all together. I'm only reporting what I've heard.

People are understandably upset, including myself. I did plan this trip for a while and was really looking forward to Florence and Pompei. This is my first trip to Europe and didn't expect to spend most of it on the water.

THe staff is doing their best to keep their spirts up, but as reported by our bartender, they're very upset with the captain.

More when we hear.

Berryhappy

So Celebrity is lying to the people calling on the phone. OK not a good reputation to have. It was bad enough with I was dealing with my cruise cancellation last year and dealing with TAs that didn't know a thing about it while trying to book a last minute cruise with the same dates. But this is not good business.

I should add I'm she'll be repaired for the cruise next week but that's no excuse for lies.

The next issue is the captain. I was doing a lot of traveling for business between the U.S. and Canada at one point about 5 years ago. This was leg 8 in 3 weeks time. After boarding the plane in Newark we had to get off because the plane hadn't been inspected after coming in from the Caribbean. Then we had a long wait on the runway due to weather. The Captain kept us so well informed that the only person who was upset was the woman behind me who obviously had some fear of flying. There is something to be said about keeping passengers well informed that can keep everyone calm and happy. Or if not happy at least not as mad.

Sounds like the Cpt. needs to take some lessons in communication from Century's Master,

Cpt. Pagonis, who kept us well informed and updated during the trying times on the Oct. 06 transatlantic. Did not give rumors a chance to start and the pax were appreciative. I do not understand why it is so difficult to pass on information to pax. Are we really that unimportant?

So Celebrity is lying to the people calling on the phone. OK not a good reputation to have. It was bad enough with I was dealing with my cruise cancellation last year and dealing with TAs that didn't know a thing about it while trying to book a last minute cruise with the same dates. But this is not good business.

I think that it is a little premature to state that Celebrity is lying. It sounds that the expected parts delivery and repair is happening pretty dynamically. The communication between the ship, Celebrity HQ and the contractors handling repairs may not be in sync for a lot of reasons including the time zone differences.

That said, I do believe Celebrity owes all passengers (on the ship and those calling in) more frequent updates on this issue. Nothing worse than hearing nothing and letting speculation or rumor run wild.

I hope for the best for the current passengers as well as the ones planned to be traveling next.

I think that it is a little premature to state that Celebrity is lying. It sounds that the expected parts delivery and repair is happening pretty dynamically. The communication between the ship, Celebrity HQ and the contractors handling repairs may not be in sync for a lot of reasons including the time zone differences.

That said, I do believe Celebrity owes all passengers (on the ship and those calling in) more frequent updates on this issue. Nothing worse than hearing nothing and letting speculation or rumor run wild.

I hope for the best for the current passengers as well as the ones planned to be traveling next.

I based my information on the following (page 3 of this thread):

I just got off the phone with Celebrity and was told that the prop has now been fixed and will not be effecting the next sailing.

It is either fixed or it is not I don't think one can confuse that information.

Hi Everyone !

I have been keeping quiet as we wait for more details, but I have been watching this thread actively. I agree that it's very premature to say that Celebrity is not being honest, but I totally agree that they should keep the passengers onboard informed. There is nothing worse that letting speculation run the ship. I totally understand that Celebrity may not have ALL of the answers right now, but they should be forthcoming about what they do know, and what they don't know.

I strongly feel that Celebrity's Customer Service Dept, and Captains Club, should be doing whatever it takes to keep the next group of passengers informed, so that they can make whatever changes necessary (***IF ANY***) to their travel plans. I know this must be very frustrating for you to sit here, and watch for updates !

I sincerely hope that those who are onboard right now, will try to make the best of a lousy situation, and that Celebrity will be very understanding of your inconvenience. I also hope that the repairs will be completed before the next sailing.

To all who are affected, I wish you all the very best !

Hope all will go well--missing two major ports is certainly a very bad thing-- Communication is really key. On our April Century cruise the Captain was superb in all areas but esp in communicating directly with his passengers. High winds made it dificult to get into our designated port in Jamaica..the Captain immediately made an announcment & kept all posted as he tried to maneuver to get safely into the port--even as other ships abandoned the attempt & sailed on. When he could not get into Ochos Rios he again tried to get us in to an alternate port--again with no success. yes we were disappointed but having been kept informed ,there were no unhappy campers that I could see! We hope same Captain is on board when we return in Sept for the Medit trip on Century. Best wishes to all on board & with upcoming trips--hope it all works out!

I love the Century. It was my first Celebrity Ship and to me it was about the right size. I am not sure I like ships getting bigger and bigger. I know there is more to do, but I get so turned around and by the last day of the cruise I've finally figured it out. LOL

I am sure there is a reason especially since many other ships left the port, but many years ago my parents were on a HAL cruise and because of bad weather ended up being tendered to Ochos Rios instead of being docked as planned. I guess that is no longer an option, but I wonder why?

Sorry for the delay in posting, we've had sporatic internet service.

We did miss Florence yesterday and arrived in Rome last night, midnight. We we informed that partial work would be completed today with the remainder to be completed in Naples. We spend a lovely cool day touring Rome and boarded the ship to hear an announcement from the captain. The new propeller blades, 5 need to be replaced not the originally reported 3, did not arrive today. They are expecting the crew and blades to arrive tonight and work will begin about midnight, it's currently 8:15pm Wednesday. We will stay in Rome tomorrow and miss Naples as far as we can tell. The captain was pretty vague, we may have more info before the evening is over. Because of a quiet bridge, the rumors have been flying. Everything from the firing of the captain to canceling the cruise all together. I'm only reporting what I've heard.

People are understandably upset, including myself. I did plan this trip for a while and was really looking forward to Florence and Pompei. This is my first trip to Europe and didn't expect to spend most of it on the water.

THe staff is doing their best to keep their spirts up, but as reported by our bartender, they're very upset with the captain.

More when we hear.

Berryhappy

Berryhappy;

Thanks for the update. Gee, I feel really bad for you folks. Whatever happens I hope it works out to everyones satisfaction! Good Luck!

We were on the June 18th sailing. Hang in there folks on board the ship. Hopefully you will get back under way and have the ability to enjoy Santorini, Athens, Dubrovnik and Venice. If you remain in Civitavecchia another day, are you being offered any additional shore excursions? On our cruise we didn't go into Rome (already been there) so we took an excursion to a farm with Olive trees, a vineyard, etc. and tasted different Olive oils, wines, and so on. If that is offered it was well worth it. Good luck!

wow this is really unbelievable...i feel so bad for all of you on board...whatever you do, just try to make the best of it...we so appreciate the updates as those of us on the next sailing are relying on you for any info...trying to be excited as we pack, but what's going on with you guys weighs heavy...keep writing and keep your chins up!:rolleyes: jordie

I know how upset you all must be with the probelms on the Millenium, but it seems to me that they are doing everything possible to make your stay & visit the best that it can be under the circumstances. I realize that Florence is a 4hr bus ride & you also said the bus to Rome was free. You stated they have also offered 50% off your cruise. I am sure that whoever was responsible for the accident will be severly reprimanded. The cost alone to Celebrity for eveyone on board must be huge. Hopefully you can all make the best of the situation & have a great time.

Archived