Bay of Fundy vs. Bar Harbor

Hello. Looking at New England/Canada itineraries in Sept/Oct and having to choose between Bay of Fundy or Bar Harbor as a port. Would appreciate pros and cons of each to help decide!

Thanks,

Jenny

If you mean Saint John, New Brunswick rather than the Bay of Fundy, I would choose Bar Harbor. It's a quaint little town with lots of shops and things to do. Also you can take a tour of the Arcadia National Park which is very scenic. We found Saint John very drab and boring. The Bay of Fundy isn't a port. Saint John, New Brunswick is located on the Bay of Fundy.

I would choose Bar Harbor. It's a quaint little town with lots of shops and things to do. Also you can take a tour of the Arcadia National Park which is very scenic

Being Canadian I wish I could tell you to go to Bay of Fundy but having been to both places (not cruising) I would agree with the previous poster and go to Bar Harbour.

We have been to both ports and although we have enjoyed the times we have been to St. Johns, I dont think there is any comparison between them. I would much prefer to go back to Bar Harbor.

I will say if whale watching is your thing then New Brunswick has it all over Bar Harbor. We took a whale watching excursion in St. Andrews (about an hour from Saint Johns) and had a very enjoyable day. Also saw many whales.

Try lobster ice cream, browse the cute shops, see the view from the top of Cadillac Mountain (if time permits sunset is amazing), walk out on the "bar" the sandbar which connects the town to the island at low tide. At high tide the bar is under approx. 9 feet of water...so make it back on time or you have a 12 hour wait.

Archived