Anyone ever bumped AFTER final payment?

Leo Jay

I know that if we as a couple book certain cabins that can accommodate four, there's a chance that we'll later get bumped if it happens that Carnival needs the space for a group of four. Can we avoid the possiblility of being bumped by simply paying in full? I wouldn't think they could bump you once you've actually paid... can they? Has that ever happened to anyone?

I know that if we as a couple book certain cabins that can accommodate four, there's a chance that we'll later get bumped if it happens that Carnival needs the space for a group of four. Can we avoid the possiblility of being bumped by simply paying in full? I wouldn't think they could bump you once you've actually paid... can they? Has that ever happened to anyone?

If by bumped you mean upgraded, yes. You can always request no upgrade. If the ship is oversold, the cruise line will make offers for people to change their sailing to a different date in exchange of a refund, upgrade, etc.

If by bumped you mean upgraded, yes. You can always request no upgrade. If the ship is oversold, the cruise line will make offers for people to change their sailing to a different date in exchange of a refund, upgrade, etc.

Do you mean if we book and pay for our cabin a year in advance when the ship is half empty, 3 months before sailing, a larger party can bump us out of our cabin because the ship is suddenly "oversold"?

:eek:

Do you mean if we book and pay for our cabin a year in advance when the ship is half empty, 3 months before sailing, a larger party can bump us out of our cabin because the ship is suddenly "oversold"?

:eek:

If you request in your booking "no upgrades" you will get your cabin. You may however get a call requesting and or offering you an "upgrade" due to needs of the sailing. You can refuse and keep your room, or sometimes they make an offer you don't want to refuse. BTDT:cool:

You can also get bumped to another cabin if you pick a cabin that is handicapped. Those cabins are larger so Iv been tempted to pick one when it is offered, but usually just pick a regular cabin if I can to save it for someone who really needs it.

The small print says that Carnival reserves the right to bump you if they need that cabin when you are online booking.

Thanks, I guess we'll just stick with cabins built for two. Don't want to press our luck. :)

If they call, listen to their offer. Sometimes, it's a very good offer. For instance... my last cruise, I "had" a handicap balcony room. A little larger than the rest but it had some downsides to it. Due to the request of a guest with disabilities, I was offered a deck up and a little further back in the ship, and near some family. It was a two category upgrade, and a bottle of champaign for my trouble. It worked out better for me and I took it. On another cruise, I had a mini suite, and oops, the cruise company had over booked mini suites. They offered me a balcony, and a whole lot of money in ship credit, cash back at the end of the cruise if I didn't use it all. Gave the same offer to another member of our group. We both took it. As I was paying for 5, I used up all of the credit. The other party, went home with a large amount of cash. In both cases it didn't hurt to hear them out. (I knew I was gonna get called about the handicap room, I booked late, so I wasn't expecting to stay in that room anyway!):cool:

If they call, listen to their offer. Sometimes, it's a very good offer. For instance... my last cruise, I "had" a handicap balcony room. A little larger than the rest but it had some downsides to it. Due to the request of a guest with disabilities, I was offered a deck up and a little further back in the ship, and near some family. It was a two category upgrade, and a bottle of champaign for my trouble. It worked out better for me and I took it. On another cruise, I had a mini suite, and oops, the cruise company had over booked mini suites. They offered me a balcony, and a whole lot of money in ship credit, cash back at the end of the cruise if I didn't use it all. Gave the same offer to another member of our group. We both took it. As I was paying for 5, I used up all of the credit. The other party, went home with a large amount of cash. In both cases it didn't hurt to hear them out. (I knew I was gonna get called about the handicap room, I booked late, so I wasn't expecting to stay in that room anyway!):cool:

I guess once you're in the situation, it doesn't hurt to hear them out, but I would hate to be in a situation where their offer ends up not being as attractive as what we would have had if we'd booked a safer bet in the first place. It would take more OBC than they'd be willing give us to make up for us getting bumped out of a room with a double-width balcony. :)

From time to time groups will book an entire ship, bumping anyone with a reservation. It isn't common but it happens. The cruise lines don't want to upset customers but they will if the price is right.

From time to time groups will book an entire ship, bumping anyone with a reservation. It isn't common but it happens. The cruise lines don't want to upset customers but they will if the price is right.

Now that is just not right. It should be first come first serve

It sounds as if your question has gotten misconstrued and we're confusing you more than helping you.

You are 2 people in a 4 person (quad) cabin, IF Carnival needs the space AND there is SIMILAR space available, then yes they can move you and simply tell you they've moved you. There will not always be an upgrade involved, but usually they will give you something.

ALTHOUGH, they would normally not allow you to book a 4 person cabin with only 2 people.

Paying in full wouldn't effect whether or not they will move you if they can sell the space.

If you were being bumped OFF your cruise, if would be because the ENTIRE ship was chartered, not just a large group wanted to cruise.

crystal, they wouldn't bump you off because a party of 50 (or 100, or 200) decided to book after you. Only when a company/corporation wants the WHOLE ship. ;)

Hope this helps Leo.

You can also get bumped to another cabin if you pick a cabin that is handicapped. Those cabins are larger so Iv been tempted to pick one when it is offered, but usually just pick a regular cabin if I can to save it for someone who really needs it.

The small print says that Carnival reserves the right to bump you if they need that cabin when you are online booking.

From what I understand the cabins are not bigger, actually a little smaller. The balcony, on the other hand, is much bigger. We booked one for our next Miracle cruise without realizing it was a HC (PVP's suggestion). I came here to find out about the cabin because of the huge balcony and was informed it was a HC. There is no sofa in these rooms and the bathroom is different to accommodate the wheelchair, so the larger bathroom takes up some of the cabin space. We switched to a cabin that was not HA, but with that fabulous huge balcony. Can't wait!!

Actually, cruise lines WILL bump you from the ship!!!!! When the Carnival Miracle was sailing from Baltimore a few years ago My party was bumped after having paid in full almost a year in advance because the ship was oversold and not enough people canceled. Since we were from Maryland and there would be no flights to consider, we, along with a number of other Maryland cruisers were bumped 2 months before we were to sail. We were offered $100.00 per cabin credit on another sailing. Since many of us had to plan our vacations months in advance and could not change the dates we were forced to cancel.

How can you get bumped off the ship when you PAID? You gave them your money then they go "oh here's a refund you can't sail with us because Donner party of 50 is talking your spot":eek:

The same thing can happen in a hotel. It happened to me in New Orleans. I had a reservation; a large group that was in the hotel decided not to leave. The hotel raised the room rate, and they agreed to pay it. I was livid and felt sure that the hotel was wrong for allowing it. When I got home and checked, they were right.

Actually, cruise lines WILL bump you from the ship!!!!! When the Carnival Miracle was sailing from Baltimore a few years ago My party was bumped after having paid in full almost a year in advance because the ship was oversold and not enough people canceled. Since we were from Maryland and there would be no flights to consider, we, along with a number of other Maryland cruisers were bumped 2 months before we were to sail. We were offered $100.00 per cabin credit on another sailing. Since many of us had to plan our vacations months in advance and could not change the dates we were forced to cancel.

Princess has a bad reputation for overselling its cruises. Late January is a popular time out of Florida. I ran into a LOT of folks who had been offered cash to change their cruise to March. I was with a group, maybe thats why they didnt offer it to any of us.

From what I understand the cabins are not bigger, actually a little smaller. The balcony, on the other hand, is much bigger. We booked one for our next Miracle cruise without realizing it was a HC (PVP's suggestion). I came here to find out about the cabin because of the huge balcony and was informed it was a HC. There is no sofa in these rooms and the bathroom is different to accommodate the wheelchair, so the larger bathroom takes up some of the cabin space. We switched to a cabin that was not HA, but with that fabulous huge balcony. Can't wait!!

What Cabin # is this that has a larger balcony? Is this only on Spirit class ships?

As a handicapped cruiser I just wanted to let you know that it is very rare for an able bodied person to be bumped from a cabin if someone who needs it requests it. Most of the time, we are told that the cruise line is not allowed to ask the people in the cabin if they "require" the cabin or not. Ships have very few accessible cabins. If they are filled with people who just want a larger cabin, then someone who needs that larger space to even get into the cabin with their wheelchair, and be able to get around in the room, will not be able to sail. Wheelchair users can NOT use a regular cabin. Please for the sake of all of those who are physically challenged keep this in mind when choosing your cabin.

Sorry for the lecture, just trying to let you all know some of the extra challenges we face when trying to cruise.

It sounds as if your question has gotten misconstrued and we're confusing you more than helping you.

You are 2 people in a 4 person (quad) cabin, IF Carnival needs the space AND there is SIMILAR space available, then yes they can move you and simply tell you they've moved you. There will not always be an upgrade involved, but usually they will give you something.

ALTHOUGH, they would normally not allow you to book a 4 person cabin with only 2 people.

Paying in full wouldn't effect whether or not they will move you if they can sell the space.

If you were being bumped OFF your cruise, if would be because the ENTIRE ship was chartered, not just a large group wanted to cruise.

crystal, they wouldn't bump you off because a party of 50 (or 100, or 200) decided to book after you. Only when a company/corporation wants the WHOLE ship. ;)

Hope this helps Leo.

Thanks. My original concern was with a cabin like Legend/Miracle #6232, which we've booked in the past for September cruises. It's kind of sobering to think we could book that, pay in full, and still get bumped a few months before we were set to sail, especially since the first week of September's really the only good time for us to vacation. #6232 has a much larger balcony than others in it's category, so even an upgrade' might be quite disappointing to us. I don't even think the aft wraparounds are as nice. And $100 would be poor compensation.

Anyway, as I said, we'll probably just stick to booking the double-length balcony cabins that are actually 'zoned' for two, and we should be able to avoid problems that way.

:)

Princess has a bad reputation for overselling its cruises. Late January is a popular time out of Florida. I ran into a LOT of folks who had been offered cash to change their cruise to March. I was with a group, maybe thats why they didnt offer it to any of us.

Just to set the record straight Princess does not bump people when they have oversold cruises. They offer them incentives to change cruises. Nobody is forced to accept these offers.

Bill

Thanks. My original concern was with a cabin like Legend/Miracle #6232, which we've booked in the past for September cruises. It's kind of sobering to think we could book that, pay in full, and still get bumped a few months before we were set to sail, especially since the first week of September's really the only good time for us to vacation. #6232 has a much larger balcony than others in it's category, so even an upgrade' might be quite disappointing to us. I don't even think the aft wraparounds are as nice. And $100 would be poor compensation.

Anyway, as I said, we'll probably just stick to booking the double-length balcony cabins that are actually 'zoned' for two, and we should be able to avoid problems that way.

:)

September is a less busy cruising time. So I would imagine if Carnival isn't concerned about booking you into it, it's probably not that big a deal of needing that space at that time of year.

Have you tried 6234 or 6281 before? I know the room is "lopsided" though.

So how are the "double-wides"? DW and I were thinking about trying one (if we can snag it).

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried 6234 or 6281 before? I know the room is "lopsided" though.

So how are the "double-wides"? DW and I were thinking about trying one (if we can snag it).

Sorry, haven't been to this thread in a while, so I missed your question -- the double-wide balcony is a thing of beauty...

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1572/09020720vv6.th.jpg

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2731/09030656bc7.th.jpg

Get one if you can. I'd stay away from 6234 and 6281 -- they're handicapped cabins, and should they book you into either one, there's too great a chance that you'll end up getting bumped out of it when a handicapped person needs it. Better to go for 7258 or 8232, or even 5236 (which has a partially obstructed view due to lifeboats, but with that much room, I'd live with it NO PROBLEM, if nothing else was available).

Archived