Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

12 hours ago, rangeley said:

Jeez I hope I won't have to Roz,  but nice to know I can. 😁  And the doctor gave me meds if I need to take before the flight. I don't usually take anything but she gave them to me anyway. 

Now my son is mad because he wants to go to Alaska and I always tell him its to far. If I make it to LA I'm going to have to book an Alaskan cruise. 

Cruising Alaska is definitely worth the airplane ride!

I am so new to this service dog and disability thing.  As much as I hate that others have similar experiences as I do with some family refusing to accept the service dogs, I do have to say, I am glad to know it isn't just me and my family.  Ugh, guess I will do the same as Roz, if they can't accept Halo, they can't accept me.

Slowly, but surely starting to get things in order here in Florida.  Have to say it is really hot here, but that is what I want.  I just don't spend much time outside with it so hot AND humid.  At least, this hurricane missed us.  The Bahamian people are amazing; still positive and smiling with such amazing losses.  

Linda and Halo

15 hours ago, rangeley said:

Turned on the computer today, which I never use, and look what John has as his home screen. Hmmm look familiar Roz? 

IMG_20190909_113122.jpg

My computer has been "crashing" for weeks, well, this past Thursday it said "I'm done", it's been very difficult without a computer since then.  I finally picked up my new computer today and although it's nice to have everything working quickly, it's been a nightmare setting it all up.  I'm so sick of "passwords" for everything, I'm ready to throw-up!  And, my old computer was more than 10 years old and the new ones have the keys in a more confined space......it's such a learning experience.

I didn't get to wish all of you a good weekend and I missed talking to many other folks around the U.S. to wish them well.

Anyway.....I love this picture.  It's "Horton-Elvis", he actually won a really neat trophy for best costume at the CCI Haute Dog Show.  He was such a good sport.

On 9/6/2019 at 1:50 PM, rpclmc said:

I am so new to this service dog and disability thing.  As much as I hate that others have similar experiences as I do with some family refusing to accept the service dogs, I do have to say, I am glad to know it isn't just me and my family.  Ugh, guess I will do the same as Roz, if they can't accept Halo, they can't accept me.

Slowly, but surely starting to get things in order here in Florida.  Have to say it is really hot here, but that is what I want.  I just don't spend much time outside with it so hot AND humid.  At least, this hurricane missed us.  The Bahamian people are amazing; still positive and smiling with such amazing losses.  

Linda and Halo

Linda, there are some folks in my life who ALWAYS give me the "side-eye" when Horton and I come around, it doesn't feel good and I don't want to be confrontational so I simply hold my head high, make sure that Horton is acting appropriately, stay away from and ignore them.

As Horton has aged he can't stand the hot/humid weather.  He immediately starts to breathe hard and I try to get him into air conditioning ASAP.

I'm glad the hurricane missed you.  It's a long standing known fact that the Bahamian people are a positive, loving and caring lot.  I wish them well and hope that the worst is over for them.

6 hours ago, rangeley said:

I guess we are lucky you made it back at all! 🤣🤣

I swear.....you should have seen me yesterday at Best Buy getting a new computer and trying to understand what the heck the guy was telling me.....as he sat, with ease and without a worry in the world clicking away on my new, expensive friend, whispering under his breath, staring at the computer screen and trying to teach me at the same time, he had the personality of a brick.....as I, anxiously, nervously, wrenching my back to hear and understand every word, all the while making sure that Horton wasn't walking off with some stranger [of which he'd do in a hot second if they tempted him in any way!] 

I had my old computer for over 10 years, it was my friend....I understood it and it me!  

Many, many dollars later I finally walked out, looking like the weary traveler over the sea of electronics, and haggered so much, that getting into the car was like climbing a mountain.  Horty uses a ramp and me negotiating it was so tiring for both of us.  Thank goodness our weather had cooled down to a mere 90 degrees, instead of the usual 105.  When I got home with the new computer in tow, I just collapsed.  Now I was on my own to figure it out........What's the worst that can happen?  Where's the IT Dept. when you really need them?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!

14 minutes ago, Rozmorey1 said:

Thank you so much......Now, can you come over here and help me with my IT issues and just sit with me, and let's talk!  :classic_tongue:

If I wasn’t half a world away from you I’d love to, but might spend more time talking to Horton than you.

2 hours ago, Rozmorey1 said:

I need everything to slow down.....just a bit!  I do love the anticipation though!

Needs to slow down alot!! I'm used to booking like 9 mos out. Not 2 months.

Oakland has passed the Princess process and is accepted on the ship. 

John was saying he hopes Oakland doesn't yank his arm off everytime he see Horton. He hopes its just the initial meeting. We forgot how fiesty the youngins can be. Wondering if they will fool around under the table at dinner. Hope we don't get kicked out. 😂

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

Needs to slow down alot!! I'm used to booking like 9 mos out. Not 2 months.

Oakland has passed the Princess process and is accepted on the ship. 

John was saying he hopes Oakland doesn't yank his arm off everytime he see Horton. He hopes its just the initial meeting. We forgot how fiesty the youngins can be. Wondering if they will fool around under the table at dinner. Hope we don't get kicked out. 😂

Brenda would have pulled me off my feet to get to another dog....she felt it was her job to put ALL other dogs in "down-stays", she was so bossy.  Horton, not so much.  He just wants to say hello and sniff the bejeebers out of everything and everybody.  We'll have to be very stern and consistent when we're in public and then go find an empty lounge [usually the Chapel] and let them loose to run around and play hard with each other.

It's going to be so cute to see what they do when they first see each other.  CCI dogs are such amazing beings.

11 hours ago, Rozmorey1 said:

Brenda would have pulled me off my feet to get to another dog....she felt it was her job to put ALL other dogs in "down-stays", she was so bossy.  Horton, not so much.  He just wants to say hello and sniff the bejeebers out of everything and everybody.  We'll have to be very stern and consistent when we're in public and then go find an empty lounge [usually the Chapel] and let them loose to run around and play hard with each other.

It's going to be so cute to see what they do when they first see each other.  CCI dogs are such amazing beings.

I've learned that CCI dogs seem to know eachother. It will be fun!! 

Hi Service Dog Friends!  We are Max and More from Oklahoma. My son, Max, is in a wheelchair and has a CCI service dog named Maureen IV but we call her "More." More has been on one cruise to Alaska in June and we had such a good experience that we are planning on taking her on Caribbean Princess to the Panama Canal in March. Anyone have experience with the paperwork for Jamaica, Cartagena Columbia, Cristobal Panama, Limon Costa Rica or Grand Cayman?  Has anyone done this cruise with a service dog and is it safe for them at the cruise ports? I value your thoughts and ideas.

6 hours ago, rangeley said:

I've learned that CCI dogs seem to know eachother. It will be fun!! 

Yeah!  They ALL have that wided-eyed look of "I don't have to spend my days in a kennel or  a crate anymore!"  Or, in a training room with someone ALWAYS giving them instructions. 

I know it sounds harsh, but their training days are very tiring and demanding.  I love giving them the very best life I can, they've earned it for sure!  

1 hour ago, max and more said:

Hi Service Dog Friends!  We are Max and More from Oklahoma. My son, Max, is in a wheelchair and has a CCI service dog named Maureen IV but we call her "More." More has been on one cruise to Alaska in June and we had such a good experience that we are planning on taking her on Caribbean Princess to the Panama Canal in March. Anyone have experience with the paperwork for Jamaica, Cartagena Columbia, Cristobal Panama, Limon Costa Rica or Grand Cayman?  Has anyone done this cruise with a service dog and is it safe for them at the cruise ports? I value your thoughts and ideas.

Hi, and welcome!  Horton and I did the Panama Canal a few years ago.  It was a wonderful trip, except for the heat and humidity and that was in November.  I can remember sitting by the pool with a wet wash rag on Horton's head to keep him cool.  And, I had to be very careful not to walk on the top deck because the decking was so, so hot.

I was on the Island Princess which has the most amazing handicapped cabins on the Promenade deck [they literally had re-vamped the Island before we boarded and added these wonderful HC cabins.]

You will definitely need the Aphis 7001[your Vet can supply this], make sure your dog is on HeartGuard and NexGuard [or some other sort of flea/tick abatement.]  More MUST be micro chipped.  Include the paperwork from CCI proving that More is spayed and trained by CCI.  You will need a Vet Check at least one month before you sail.  The Vet will write on the form that ALL necessary immunizations are done.  Make at least 3 copies of everything.  I always recommend that you give registration their own copy [this will save the time that it takes for them to find a copy machine.]

We went to Costa Rica but because we had heard of some stray dogs in the area I did not take Horton off the ship.  If you're traveling with others they may watch More for you as you take turns going into certain ports.  Beach communities are notorious for stray animals.  They have no leash laws and no immunization procedures in place, so it can be risky for your dog.  REMEMBER:  It is NEVER a good idea to leave your dog alone in your cabin.  Most ships will not allow this anyway!

You will be asked to come down to a lounge in the very early morning, in some ports, so that an Immigration official can check your paperwork, your dog and you before the ship is cleared for anyone to debark.  I HATE THIS EARLY MORNING CALL THE MOST!

Once the officials have seen how well More behaves and how well-maintained she is it all goes very smoothly and you can go back to bed or on with your day.  You won't be asked to meet with someone in every port, just some of them.  And, honestly, I don't think the ship is clear on when they will be scrutinized or not. 

In Panama I was so cranky and when the call came in at 6:00am to appear downstairs.......I simply said to the official on the phone, "if you want to see my dog, send someone to come and get him!"  Five minutes later there was a knock on my door and a very official looking man in a very official white suit was standing there and he said, "may I take your dog!"  That was the first and last time I ever did that.  Okay, okay.......I'm NOT a morning person!!!!!