Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

2 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Our last 4 cruises were on NCL. The first one was absolutely fabulous, food was awesome. Each one went downhill. Thats why we booked a Holland America for January. I just saw a drink list for Princess and the drinks are cheap! We dont drink much but I can throw down a couple. Lol  

I buy the drinking package.  It gives me all the diet coke, smoothies, specialty coffees and virgin drinks that I can handle.  I used to buy the Ultimate Drinking Package but realized what a waste it was for me.  I prefer all the flavor without the alcohol.

15 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

He is definitely one of the most handsome Yellow Labs that I've ever seen.  No kidding. 

Of course, I'm bringing Auntie Cindy's Tux.  Horton has worn it on every cruise he's ever taken with us......11 total.  This will be his 12th.  

I can't wait to have formal pictures taken by the Princess photographer's of the two of them together.  It will be monumental!  I can't wait to send copies to his Puppy Raiser's and Trainers.  They're going to love them.  Not to mention what my family will have to say!  Can you imagine how cute it's going to be to pose them with different backgrounds.

I also have lots of collars of different colors.  I'm going to bring them all so Horty can share them with Oakland.

Horton wears his CCI Vest on the first day and the last day.  In between, when we're onboard the ship, he does NOT wear his vest unless we get off in Port.

Wow no one ever said anything about him not wearing a vest? I know by law they do not have to wear one. John gets obsessed with the vest sometimes. So I'm sure Oakland will be wearing his. ☹️   

They will be adorable together. I hope they will love each other. 

5 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I buy the drinking package.  It gives me all the diet coke, smoothies, specialty coffees and virgin drinks that I can handle.  I used to buy the Ultimate Drinking Package but realized what a waste it was for me.  I prefer all the flavor without the alcohol.

On NCL they "include" the drink package. Depending on what cabin you get different perks. For a balcong we got 2, we picked the drinks and specialty dining. You had to pay the gratuties for the "free" perks. So it was 125.00 each for drinks and 20 bucks for the dinners. For my son and his wife perfect cuz they drink all day and night. For us not so much. We dont even know if we drank the 125. And most of the drinks start 10.95. We are happy to pay for our drinks. I mostly drink water and John cranberry or lemonade they have in the lido. 

Anent the business of wearing a vest: No, it's not required by law. But, in my view, oftentimes it's a good idea. My disability is an invisible one, deafness. In such a circumstance, having a dog aboard ship without a vest might be confounding to other passengers unaware that a service animal is aboard. They might be resentful, thinking that another passenger is so privileged he can bring his pet on the ship while they can't. So every morning I dress Trooper in his bright orange Dogs for Better Lives vest when we go out and about. It does pique people's curiosity and they ask questions rather than shun me because they don't know what to do around deaf people. That's the beginning of a human connection and another untrained "task" for a service dog. Also, Trooper is a small black dog, a schnoodle, and the bright orange of his vest catches people's eyes and helps keep people from stepping on him. Everyone's needs and experiences are different, and these are mine.

Edited by HenryKisor
Clarity

40 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Wow no one ever said anything about him not wearing a vest? I know by law they do not have to wear one. John gets obsessed with the vest sometimes. So I'm sure Oakland will be wearing his. ☹️   

They will be adorable together. I hope they will love each other. 

Vest on Vest off, our dogs will be so well behaved there's no doubt that they are Service Dogs.  When I'm walking with Horton:  No wheel chair, not blind, people are ALWAYS curious as to what does Horton do!  It's okay if they ask.  I'm happy to be a good representative of CCI.

You know what I dislike the most about the Vest is the word "Companion"....I think it's so misleading.  And, starts people to thinking that Horton is a "Companion Dog", a "feel-good" dog.  I find myself explaining that "feel-good" dogs do NOT have public access.  It can sometimes turn into a long conversation.

I know that CCI is very successful but the word "Companion" has become a bit of a complicated term these days.  Another discussion for another time!

41 minutes ago, HenryKisor said:

Anent the business of wearing a vest: No, it's not required by law. But, in my view, oftentimes it's a good idea. My disability is an invisible one, deafness. In such a circumstance, having a dog aboard ship without a vest might be confounding to other passengers unaware that a service animal is aboard. They might be resentful, thinking that another passenger is so privileged he can bring his pet on the ship while they can't. So every morning I dress Trooper in his bright orange Dogs for Better Lives vest when we go out and about. It does pique people's curiosity and they ask questions rather than shun me because they don't know what to do around deaf people. That's the beginning of a human connection and another untrained "task" for a service dog. Also, Trooper is a small black dog, a schnoodle, and the bright orange of his vest catches people's eyes and helps keep people from stepping on him. Everyone's needs and experiences are different, and these are mine.

Henry, I definitely understand what you're saying and the purpose of the Vest for you.  I don't like it when the Vest states what the person's handicap is.  As unfortunate as this may be, there are some folks who would take advantage of this knowledge.  I had an incident on a ship where a group of young men used the Vest information to try and lure Brenda away from me!  It was a very scary incident and taught me a big lesson.  I went back to my cabin, took out a pair of manicuring scissors and cut the words off her vest.

I prefer that the public NOT know what my dog does for me and if they seriously want to know they can have a conversation with me.  Life is very different for a woman alone than it is for a man!!!!  Isn't this sorry to have to admit to in our society.  It is much safer for a woman alone to travel the world with a BIG BLACK DOG that strangers have no idea is capable of doing!!!!!!!

Although Horton is very black and it can be difficult to see on dark carpet he is a big guy and he does wear a colorful collar which is easy to see.

I come on board the ship with his Vest on and ALWAYS go to the muster drill with his Vest on.  I also put it on him when we're disembarking the ship, either at a visiting port or on the last day.

Interesting discussion.  Scooter's vest doesn't have his name on it.  There is a small patch from the training company, but it isn't that readable.  The readable part is the big "Service Dog" patch on each side.  His vest is red, and has a handle.  Not a guide handle, but just a handle on the cape.  I routinely use the handle when we are going up the steps for that added pull.  Scooter on my left, handrail on my right.

Scooter's training included letting him be "just a dog" without the vest.  Occasionally, I'll have students ask if they can pet my dog.  I generally say, 'not while he is working."  Then, on occasion, we will go outside a building, remove his vest and let him visit with the students.  Without his vest on, he BOUNCES.  I mean he is a whole different dog!

I have just always made it a point that when we are working, he is vested.  

51 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

Interesting discussion.  Scooter's vest doesn't have his name on it.  There is a small patch from the training company, but it isn't that readable.  The readable part is the big "Service Dog" patch on each side.  His vest is red, and has a handle.  Not a guide handle, but just a handle on the cape.  I routinely use the handle when we are going up the steps for that added pull.  Scooter on my left, handrail on my right.

Scooter's training included letting him be "just a dog" without the vest.  Occasionally, I'll have students ask if they can pet my dog.  I generally say, 'not while he is working."  Then, on occasion, we will go outside a building, remove his vest and let him visit with the students.  Without his vest on, he BOUNCES.  I mean he is a whole different dog!

I have just always made it a point that when we are working, he is vested.  

I've also noticed that some Service Dogs actually change their demeanor when their vest is on and/or off.

As long as I use a "command" Horton will stay in working mode, no matter whether the vest is on or off.

Again, it's so much easier for the public to identify a Service Dog with the vest on.  A cruise ship can be a whole different animal.  Remember, you are cruising with the very same people for many, many days.  In my case, I don't cruise for less than 14 days anymore.  The other passengers get used to seeing me with my well behaved Service Dog and know that when they see me, they will see and be with him.

Although, I must admit, we have been ready to disembark and have passed other folks who have commented to me, "have you been on this cruise the entire 2 weeks?"  "How come we have never seen you!"

Even though John is in a wheelchair and its quite obvious what his disability is, I can certainly understand how different it must be with a non visible handicap. We have no patches on our dogs vest. I understand that a hearing dog patch would help to identify what the dog is for but not everyone wants that. 

Just an interesting story... This woman had this "service cat" that she was bringing on HAL. She would go on and on about it. Finally the ada only recognized dogs and minature horses and they wouldn't let her bring the cat. She was not happy! From what I can see it seems its only dogs that can be service animals now. Did they get rid of the miniature horses? 

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

Even though John is in a wheelchair and its quite obvious what his disability is, I can certainly understand how different it must be with a non visible handicap. We have no patches on our dogs vest. I understand that a hearing dog patch would help to identify what the dog is for but not everyone wants that. 

Just an interesting story... This woman had this "service cat" that she was bringing on HAL. She would go on and on about it. Finally the ada only recognized dogs and minature horses and they wouldn't let her bring the cat. She was not happy! From what I can see it seems its only dogs that can be service animals now. Did they get rid of the miniature horses? 

This past May there was a group of 29 guides on the Carnival Ecstasy.  The other passengers were so great and respected that the dogs were working.  It helped that Carnival had several signs up saying "Service/Working Dogs are not pets and should not be petted or talked to at any time".   One of the ports we went to was Princess Cay.  Some of the guides were allowed "time off" and played in the water , on leash of course.  When the other passengers found out it was okay to pet the guides, after asking the handler 1st, it was a great day at the beach for all.  It opened up a lot of conversations and I believe folks learn more about respecting Service Dogs.  

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 7:01 AM, rangeley said:

Omg Nancy!!! So glad you are ok. I wish my grandpuppy had gone away to boot camp. He seems to injure me every time I see him. Hes 2 now and still a terror, mostly because my son refused to have him fixed. He's a cute little peanut but wild!! 

IMG_0712.jpg

OMD, he has that look, "Yay, I'm large and in charge".  What is his name?  Rocky fluctuates from day to day.  He was the pawfect little gentleman today.  He is too funny.  He is a big boy now.  He is too big for Jezzy Lou's crate, to ride in the car.  I got one of the seat belt extenders that hook in seatbelt clip and the other end to his harness.  He mostly sits and chews on the strap.  Gets on the floor, turns around and put front paws, chest on the seat and fiddles around.  He doesn't need mom to walk him on his leash, he can do it all by himself!  Fortunately the yard is completely fenced.  The only reason he is on a leash is to prevent eating rocks.  Don't need him to swallow one and have it block his intestines.  Of course there is a gazillion rocks.  We are going to have artificial turf and pavers put down, then he can go out and run.  Yesterday morning he fell into the pool.  I was right there, it was right by the step.  I just scooped him out with his harness.  He seem unconcerned about the whole ordeal.  Shook off and just sat there waiting for a towel!  Need to get him in there to get him swimming and getting worn out.

Forgive me if I have already said any of the above.  I am getting old and bumped my head! 🥴

• Like 1

OMD, My two Nephew Boys (Horton and Oakland) are so handsome!  Like all of our pups.  I know I have said this before, but we all have a great group of good looking furkids!  

I have already been fortunate with Rockford out in public.  He is allowed in Petsmart, Tractor Supply, Home Depot and Lowes.  I even had a little girl around 8 years old ask permission to pet him, before she did.  In Petsmart when he was training, I had an older gentlemen just stop in awww and comment about how beautiful he is.  He already has a "big head" and usually takes it in stride that people are fawning over him.  He is getting more and more silver (grey) every day.  His eyes are turning to the golden color,  but they are still blue, for now.

He still has 2 training classes left with Petsmart and then I have signed him up for another 8 week training course with a local trainer.  I have discovered if I get his attention, he listens better.  When he gets his "wild" eyes going on, its time for a time out in his crate.  Anyway, enough talking about the boy! I am smitten with him.

Jezzy Lou is being such a good girl.  She is tolerating him and usually only has to mouth at him and a lot less, biting him.  She is scoring treats when Rocky get his.  Not a good thing, Dawgtor already said she is a little "Heavy".  

I better get going and get something done.  Hope everyone has a fantabulous day.   

1 hour ago, MelanieDyer said:

This past May there was a group of 29 guides on the Carnival Ecstasy.  The other passengers were so great and respected that the dogs were working.  It helped that Carnival had several signs up saying "Service/Working Dogs are not pets and should not be petted or talked to at any time".   One of the ports we went to was Princess Cay.  Some of the guides were allowed "time off" and played in the water , on leash of course.  When the other passengers found out it was okay to pet the guides, after asking the handler 1st, it was a great day at the beach for all.  It opened up a lot of conversations and I believe folks learn more about respecting Service Dogs.  

That sounds like an amazing time. So glad and surprised that everyone was respectful. Many times people just grab our dog. Crew members making kissing noises and yelling doggy doggy. It gets frustrating. 

Wow Nancy you have your hands full. Puppies are tough and Ive been through a few myself. I definitely like the already trained dog. Much easier!! Although you miss 2 years of their life. We are lucky since we go to CCI puppy classes twice a month and get to see the puppies from 3mos until they turn in to advanced training to be service dogs. 

Horton and Oakland in their tuxes are going to be superstars on their cruise! They really do look cute.

We’re starting to get close now to an 8-day pre-Thanksgiving cruise with friends of 40 years. They’ve had a terrible year - her mother suddenly died in February while on a cruise, and he collapsed at the airport several months ago on their way to visit us, then  was hospitalized. Just now finishing rehab. Looking forward to this chance to help them have a wonderful vacation.

6 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

OMD, he has that look, "Yay, I'm large and in charge".  What is his name?  Rocky fluctuates from day to day.  He was the pawfect little gentleman today.  He is too funny.  He is a big boy now.  He is too big for Jezzy Lou's crate, to ride in the car.  I got one of the seat belt extenders that hook in seatbelt clip and the other end to his harness.  He mostly sits and chews on the strap.  Gets on the floor, turns around and put front paws, chest on the seat and fiddles around.  He doesn't need mom to walk him on his leash, he can do it all by himself!  Fortunately the yard is completely fenced.  The only reason he is on a leash is to prevent eating rocks.  Don't need him to swallow one and have it block his intestines.  Of course there is a gazillion rocks.  We are going to have artificial turf and pavers put down, then he can go out and run.  Yesterday morning he fell into the pool.  I was right there, it was right by the step.  I just scooped him out with his harness.  He seem unconcerned about the whole ordeal.  Shook off and just sat there waiting for a towel!  Need to get him in there to get him swimming and getting worn out.

Forgive me if I have already said any of the above.  I am getting old and bumped my head! 🥴

You're too funny.  Take care of your little boy and yourself. 

When we get a pup from CCI they're fully trained and just need us to keep up their skills and to teach them some new ones.  I give you a lot of credit for starting with a new baby.  😍

5 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

OMD, My two Nephew Boys (Horton and Oakland) are so handsome!  Like all of our pups.  I know I have said this before, but we all have a great group of good looking furkids!  

I have already been fortunate with Rockford out in public.  He is allowed in Petsmart, Tractor Supply, Home Depot and Lowes.  I even had a little girl around 8 years old ask permission to pet him, before she did.  In Petsmart when he was training, I had an older gentlemen just stop in awww and comment about how beautiful he is.  He already has a "big head" and usually takes it in stride that people are fawning over him.  He is getting more and more silver (grey) every day.  His eyes are turning to the golden color,  but they are still blue, for now.

He still has 2 training classes left with Petsmart and then I have signed him up for another 8 week training course with a local trainer.  I have discovered if I get his attention, he listens better.  When he gets his "wild" eyes going on, its time for a time out in his crate.  Anyway, enough talking about the boy! I am smitten with him.

Jezzy Lou is being such a good girl.  She is tolerating him and usually only has to mouth at him and a lot less, biting him.  She is scoring treats when Rocky get his.  Not a good thing, Dawgtor already said she is a little "Heavy".  

I better get going and get something done.  Hope everyone has a fantabulous day.   

5 hours ago, rangeley said:

That sounds like an amazing time. So glad and surprised that everyone was respectful. Many times people just grab our dog. Crew members making kissing noises and yelling doggy doggy. It gets frustrating. 

Nothing makes me more nuts than folks who make "sounds" at Horton or the one's try to grab a pat when they think I'm not looking!

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Horton and Oakland in their tuxes are going to be superstars on their cruise! They really do look cute.

We’re starting to get close now to an 8-day pre-Thanksgiving cruise with friends of 40 years. They’ve had a terrible year - her mother suddenly died in February while on a cruise, and he collapsed at the airport several months ago on their way to visit us, then  was hospitalized. Just now finishing rehab. Looking forward to this chance to help them have a wonderful vacation.

Have a wonderful cruise with your friends.  Your friend must have been devastated when her mother died on a cruise......so sad!  I hope her father has a full recovery and they get to have a relaxing vacation with you.

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

He isn’t a service dog (except every dog is) but he is now an advertising star, it’s an add for a new line of beds, Tough beds, almost indestructible, and if Bones can’t destroy it I doubt anyone can

DBA7F48F-71E1-49A9-8097-CB2D5C0265F9.jpeg

What a handsome boy!  Horton has two beds in the living room and this looks like one of them.  Although, his has a soft velvety cover.  

Horty loves, loves, loves his beds!  Thanks for sharing this big boy!

2 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

What a handsome boy!  Horton has two beds in the living room and this looks like one of them.  Although, his has a soft velvety cover.  

Horty loves, loves, loves his beds!  Thanks for sharing this big boy!

He is my daughter’s boy, but spends a lot of time with us, so he can play with my Maxy.

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Ugh sorry to hear. Hope this cruise is relaxing for all of you! 

7 hours ago, rangeley said:

I think the signs helped.  We let Carnival know well in advance that we were coming.  LOL  Sent info to share with the crew.  It was just a over all great experience.  That being said my friend was on a different cruise with her guide and a drunk rude guest was upset because she wouldn't let him pet the dog nor would she tell her guide's name.  The guest made threats against them.