Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Horton and Oakland in their tuxes are going to be superstars on their cruise! They really do look cute.

We’re starting to get close now to an 8-day pre-Thanksgiving cruise with friends of 40 years. They’ve had a terrible year - her mother suddenly died in February while on a cruise, and he collapsed at the airport several months ago on their way to visit us, then  was hospitalized. Just now finishing rehab. Looking forward to this chance to help them have a wonderful vacation.

Have a wonderful cruise with your friends.  Your friend must have been devastated when her mother died on a cruise......so sad!  I hope her father has a full recovery and they get to have a relaxing vacation with you.

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

He isn’t a service dog (except every dog is) but he is now an advertising star, it’s an add for a new line of beds, Tough beds, almost indestructible, and if Bones can’t destroy it I doubt anyone can

DBA7F48F-71E1-49A9-8097-CB2D5C0265F9.jpeg

What a handsome boy!  Horton has two beds in the living room and this looks like one of them.  Although, his has a soft velvety cover.  

Horty loves, loves, loves his beds!  Thanks for sharing this big boy!

2 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

What a handsome boy!  Horton has two beds in the living room and this looks like one of them.  Although, his has a soft velvety cover.  

Horty loves, loves, loves his beds!  Thanks for sharing this big boy!

He is my daughter’s boy, but spends a lot of time with us, so he can play with my Maxy.

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Horton and Oakland in their tuxes are going to be superstars on their cruise! They really do look cute.

We’re starting to get close now to an 8-day pre-Thanksgiving cruise with friends of 40 years. They’ve had a terrible year - her mother suddenly died in February while on a cruise, and he collapsed at the airport several months ago on their way to visit us, then  was hospitalized. Just now finishing rehab. Looking forward to this chance to help them have a wonderful vacation.

Ugh sorry to hear. Hope this cruise is relaxing for all of you! 

7 hours ago, rangeley said:

That sounds like an amazing time. So glad and surprised that everyone was respectful. Many times people just grab our dog. Crew members making kissing noises and yelling doggy doggy. It gets frustrating. 

I think the signs helped.  We let Carnival know well in advance that we were coming.  LOL  Sent info to share with the crew.  It was just a over all great experience.  That being said my friend was on a different cruise with her guide and a drunk rude guest was upset because she wouldn't let him pet the dog nor would she tell her guide's name.  The guest made threats against them.

2 hours ago, MelanieDyer said:

I think the signs helped.  We let Carnival know well in advance that we were coming.  LOL  Sent info to share with the crew.  It was just a over all great experience.  That being said my friend was on a different cruise with her guide and a drunk rude guest was upset because she wouldn't let him pet the dog nor would she tell her guide's name.  The guest made threats against them.

There is no explaining rude, uncaring and negative people.....I've heard every comment that could be made and have been asked to leave more places since 2002 than I care to mention, from 5 Star Hotels to Chinese Restaurants, Buffet's, Department Stores, etc., etc., etc. 

I have NEVER walked out of anywhere because of my Service Dog.  I stuck it out, through ugly comments and every kind of behavior you can imagine.  Our dogs are the most well behaved animals on the planet and there would NEVER be cause for someone to be displeased except they just don't like dogs in their environment.

It has definitely become easier since 2002 and as I age I've become more and more stubborn and less attentive to the remarks of others.  There is something to be said for the aging process!!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MelanieDyer said:

Wow we havent had any threats, but plenty of rude people. Theres always plenty of attention and every dog owners different. John usually lets people pet the dog and tries to to plug CCI in the process. I would never approach a guide dog, thats a totally different thing. 

Every service dog handler will have their own way of dealing with unwanted attention, and this is mine. Very, very few people have any understanding of service dog etiquette, and it is not their obligation to educate themselves—it is OUR obligation to educate them if we can. If someone asks to pet Trooper, I almost always can say yes, asking the person to sit down and giving Trooper the "go say hello!" command. Then I explain what Trooper does for me as a hearing alert assistance dog, at the same time pressing a calling card with the Dogs for Better Lives info upon them. It's a victory when we not only educate someone but can make them friends of service dogs in general. SD handlers with guide dogs or those in wheelchairs or with mobility or social impairments may not find this so easy to do, however, and no obligation attaches to them.

So far I have encountered no unruly drunks or rude people while cruising, but that's probably because Trooper and I sail the staid Geezer Line (HAL) exclusively. Not that older people are any less curious, but they do have better manners in general. There are a few stink eyes, but those can be ignored.

8 hours ago, HenryKisor said:

Every service dog handler will have their own way of dealing with unwanted attention, and this is mine. Very, very few people have any understanding of service dog etiquette, and it is not their obligation to educate themselves—it is OUR obligation to educate them if we can. If someone asks to pet Trooper, I almost always can say yes, asking the person to sit down and giving Trooper the "go say hello!" command. Then I explain what Trooper does for me as a hearing alert assistance dog, at the same time pressing a calling card with the Dogs for Better Lives info upon them. It's a victory when we not only educate someone but can make them friends of service dogs in general. SD handlers with guide dogs or those in wheelchairs or with mobility or social impairments may not find this so easy to do, however, and no obligation attaches to them.

So far I have encountered no unruly drunks or rude people while cruising, but that's probably because Trooper and I sail the staid Geezer Line (HAL) exclusively. Not that older people are any less curious, but they do have better manners in general. There are a few stink eyes, but those can be ignored.

8 hours ago, HenryKisor said:

Your words are well taken!

8 hours ago, rangeley said:

Roz do you ever do the M&G? I've gone to a few. We usually don't because they are usually at 10am. I noticed this one is 4pm.

I like to drop in and meet everyone.  If I feel a good connection, I stay, if not.....You give me a wink and I'll give you a "high sign" and we'll leave and head towards the Dining Room for Dinner.

I like to make sure that Horton has had a chance to go potty before I sit down to a dinner and then head off to the show.  His comfort is important to my having a good vacation.  Usually, right after the show I take another walk to Horton's potty box and then make an evening plan.  I head for a seat in a lounge, go up for a late ice cream treat, and play some tridominoes or people watch. Depending on my back I can stay up late or go back to the room and watch the movie of the day. 

10 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I like to drop in and meet everyone.  If I feel a good connection, I stay, if not.....You give me a wink and I'll give you a "high sign" and we'll leave and head towards the Dining Room for Dinner.

I like to make sure that Horton has had a chance to go potty before I sit down to a dinner and then head off to the show.  His comfort is important to my having a good vacation.  Usually, right after the show I take another walk to Horton's potty box and then make an evening plan.  I head for a seat in a lounge, go up for a late ice cream treat, and play some tridominoes or people watch. Depending on my back I can stay up late or go back to the room and watch the movie of the day. 

Sounds like a plan. We pretty much go with the flow.