Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

26 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Raylene owns the couch at our house with my blessings - because I’m too creaky to get down on the floor to play with her! (Actually it’s the getting back UP that’s the problem.)

Now, I know why I love you.......I'm in the same club......I can get down but don't expect me to get up for a long time!!!!!!  Pretty funny to watch.....I must admit!  :classic_rolleyes:

Brenda was a pure English Lab [short, squatty and looked more like a Pit Bull, as she aged, with a big square head.]  Horton is a cross between an American Lab [tall & thin] and a Golden Retriever.  He's got long, long legs.  This combo sure makes for a handsome dog.  Horton is a very handsome dog, I must say.

The crosses are my very favorite.    

• Like 1

Went to puppy class today. We met up with one of his puppy raisers. We actually know her from class. She raised him for the first 7 months of his life. She was quite emotional. ❤️ She gave us a puppy pic which I'll post (sorry just snapped a pic of it) and a folder with all the notes about him while she had him. It was great! We will meet the other puppy raiser at the graduation in May which by the way streams live on the CCI website. I hope shes not a cryer or we're gonna need alot of kleenex. Both the boys are sleeping now so it's pretty quiet. 

IMG_20190407_121936.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Went to puppy class today. We met up with one of his puppy raisers. We actually know her from class. She raised him for the first 7 months of his life. She was quite emotional. ❤️ She gave us a puppy pic which I'll post (sorry just snapped a pic of it) and a folder with all the notes about him while she had him. It was great! We will meet the other puppy raiser at the graduation in May which by the way streams live on the CCI website. I hope shes not a cryer or we're gonna need alot of kleenex. Both the boys are sleeping now so it's pretty quiet. 

IMG_20190407_121936.jpg

You are driving my senses nuts.....this puppy picture is so, cute.  What a little moosh face Oakland was.  I would NEVER be able to keep my hands off this little imp!  Doesn't it make you love him even more!

You are so lucky with your involved and interested PuppyRaisers.  I've had two CCI dogs and both my PuppyRaisers were very absentee.  CCI Had to beg them to come up with some sort of puppy pictures of my babies.  I have exactly 4 of Brenda and 2 of Horton.  I try and stay in touch by sending cruising pictures [which are so adorable] and updating them on what's going on.  But, if I don't write, I NEVER hear from them.  

Enjoy and treasure the pictures, stories and interest being shown to you and Oakland. 

I'm loving every minute of it and enjoy hearing all the stories, don't stop with the adorable pictures!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

You are driving my senses nuts.....this puppy picture is so, cute.  What a little moosh face Oakland was.  I would NEVER be able to keep my hands off this little imp!  Doesn't it make you love him even more!

You are so lucky with your involved and interested PuppyRaisers.  I've had two CCI dogs and both my PuppyRaisers were very absentee.  CCI Had to beg them to come up with some sort of puppy pictures of my babies.  I have exactly 4 of Brenda and 2 of Horton.  I try and stay in touch by sending cruising pictures [which are so adorable] and updating them on what's going on.  But, if I don't write, I NEVER hear from them.  

Enjoy and treasure the pictures, stories and interest being shown to you and Oakland. 

I'm loving every minute of it and enjoy hearing all the stories, don't stop with the adorable pictures!  

I still can't believe that your PRs didnt want to know anything about you and the dogs. To go through something like that and not want to be involved is strange. Our prs were the first ones we told about the new dog. We are still very much in touch. Driving you nuts once more 😀

IMG_20190407_085433.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, rangeley said:

I still can't believe that your PRs didnt want to know anything about you and the dogs. To go through something like that and not want to be involved is strange. Our prs were the first ones we told about the new dog. We are still very much in touch. Driving you nuts once more 😀

IMG_20190407_085433.jpg

Is Oakland an English Lab? Trying to figure out if he has the jowls. Henri is half English Lab (her dad is a full English Lab), one quarter American Lab and one quarter Golden. She looks just like her dad. Our puppy raiser wasn't much on taking pictures, but we are in touch regularly and we get together whenever he is dropping off a puppy for training or attending graduation in Santa Rosa.

Dianne

Dianne

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

IMG_20190407_085433.jpg

Give me that dog!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just want to grab him and love on him so much!!!!!!!  He's making me smile very big today!!!!!!!  Thank you for sharing him!!!!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Is Oakland an English Lab? Trying to figure out if he has the jowls. Henri is half English Lab (her dad is a full English Lab), one quarter American Lab and one quarter Golden. She looks just like her dad. Our puppy raiser wasn't much on taking pictures, but we are in touch regularly and we get together whenever he is dropping off a puppy for training or attending graduation in Santa Rosa.

Dianne

Dianne

I'm not sure what kind of lab he is. He's got a huge head but kind leggy and skinny. He also has alot of loose skin on his head. He's only 60lbs.

Edited by rangeley
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Give me that dog!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just want to grab him and love on him so much!!!!!!!  He's making me smile very big today!!!!!!!  Thank you for sharing him!!!!!

I knew you'd like that. 

I'm praying he's gonna be ok for Bermuda. He lifts his leg to pee sometimes and that has me worried. He was left intact as a possible breeder. In fact his sister got selected as one. 

36 minutes ago, rangeley said:

I knew you'd like that. 

I'm praying he's gonna be ok for Bermuda. He lifts his leg to pee sometimes and that has me worried. He was left intact as a possible breeder. In fact his sister got selected as one. 

He does have that "English Lab" look.  When he fills out he's going to be even more handsome, if that's possible!

I've never heard of CCI graduating an intact male.  Are they planning on neutering him?  I think you should "push" them to do it, sooner rather than later, so that he has time to heal before your trip.

I think that CCI should have "suggestive rules" for PR's;  they should present them with a photo album & journal [nothing sophisticated, just a simple notebook would do.]   This journal and photo's would be passed off to the graduate and really loved.   I would have treasured pictures and short stories about my babies when they were little.  To know some cute little quips about them would make my heart sing, for sure!  I know that it's a very BIG job to be a PR but, hopefully, one day their puppy will be a Service Dog and there's so much that we've missed in their lives and would love to know about, both in pictures and writing.  Some of my fellow graduates were presented with elaborate and thorough photo albums and journals about every "magic" moment with their dogs.  I was so envious of them! 

How wonderful that some PR's realize how magical and heroic these dogs would be in someone's life and how important it would be for the handler to see their significant training and growth as the months rolled by!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

He does have that "English Lab" look.  When he fills out he's going to be even more handsome, if that's possible!

I've never heard of CCI graduating an intact male.  Are they planning on neutering him?  I think you should "push" them to do it, sooner rather than later, so that he has time to heal before your trip.

I think that CCI should have "suggestive rules" for PR's;  they should present them with a photo album & journal [nothing sophisticated, just a simple notebook would do.]   This journal and photo's would be passed off to the graduate and really loved.   I would have treasured pictures and short stories about my babies when they were little.  To know some cute little quips about them would make my heart sing, for sure!  I know that it's a very BIG job to be a PR but, hopefully, one day their puppy will be a Service Dog and there's so much that we've missed in their lives and would love to know about, both in pictures and writing.  Some of my fellow graduates were presented with elaborate and thorough photo albums and journals about every "magic" moment with their dogs.  I was so envious of them! 

How wonderful that some PR's realize how magical and heroic these dogs would be in someone's life and how important it would be for the handler to see their significant training and growth as the months rolled by!

He is not intact now. But while he was being raised he was. When he was turned in they evaluated him and fixed him. 

I'm sorry Roz. I can't believe it was both dogs. PRs are so important. We've been so lucky. 

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

He is not intact now. But while he was being raised he was. When he was turned in they evaluated him and fixed him. 

I'm sorry Roz. I can't believe it was both dogs. PRs are so important. We've been so lucky. 

Thanks Cindy, I've got you guys♥️  And, best of all......I've got THE DOG!!!! 

Isn't it funny that some of the boys raise a leg and some [like Horton] squat like a girl!  I totally misunderstood you on the "intact" thing!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

4 hours ago, mmarq1992 said:

We're back from Bentley's first cruise! We had a great trip, he loved cruise life so much and everything went perfectly! Thank you all again for the information you gave. Now only 42 days until our next cruise!

IMG_0548.thumb.JPG.e248d36bd9e385d7e2271bc93e8b7195.JPG

I love the picture of him looking over the rail at the sea!  So Cute!!!

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your first cruise and are looking forward to your next.  And it's coming up so soon!  Lucky you!!!

16 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Reno was mostly a squatter!  Not as in abandoned homes, as in not lifting his leg! BOL, BOL. 

Oakland is a beauty!  Little ham in his younger pictures, I see. ❤️

Omg  lol

9 hours ago, mmarq1992 said:

We're back from Bentley's first cruise! We had a great trip, he loved cruise life so much and everything went perfectly! Thank you all again for the information you gave. Now only 42 days until our next cruise!

Glad you had a great cruise! Adorable pics of Bentley! 

Cindy, that puppy pic of Oakland is adorable! What a little cuddle-pup he was, and is!

I’m with Roz - we’re very short on Puppy Raiser photos of Raylene. I tracked down the people who were her Guide Dogs for the Blind PRs. Two sets - a young woman, and then a teen & her mother in a group up in Oregon where Guide Dogs has a campus. I got a few photos back, but none of her as a little one.

I’ll be very interested in the streaming on the website of May CCI graduation. I watched my friend Pat’s small class graduation last October and loved it. Talk about tissue-worthy! Pat was the representative speaker for her group of recipients, and did a first class job.

Bentley is so photogenic! He always looks so happy. He’s definitely rockin’ that collection of bandanas.

Raylene almost always looks worried. I think it was Fairbourne who used the term “that worried Lab look.”

Here’s a pic back in January from the Edge. I’m happy, Raylene’s worried.

1D245013-E525-4CAE-A2CA-DFD3432C1E5F.jpeg

Edited by Caribbean Chris

8 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Bentley is so photogenic! He always looks so happy. He’s definitely rockin’ that collection of bandanas.

Raylene almost always looks worried. I think it was Fairbourne who used the term “that worried Lab look.”

Oh!  Raylene,  you look so much like my Horty.  I used to tell him not to worry so much, they won't give him the bill! :classic_ohmy:

One thing for sure, you can't see the faces of our dogs as easy as the Yellow Labs.    

8 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Cindy, that puppy pic of Oakland is adorable! What a little cuddle-pup he was, and is!

I’m with Roz - we’re very short on Puppy Raiser photos of Raylene. I tracked down the people who were her Guide Dogs for the Blind PRs. Two sets - a young woman, and then a teen & her mother in a group up in Oregon where Guide Dogs has a campus. I got a few photos back, but none of her as a little one.

I’ll be very interested in the streaming on the website of May CCI graduation. I watched my friend Pat’s small class graduation last October and loved it. Talk about tissue-worthy! Pat was the representative speaker for her group of recipients, and did a first class job.

Maybe it's why I'm so obsessed with taking pictures of Horton, because of the lack of baby pictures.........I don't want to miss a moment with him!

21 hours ago, mmarq1992 said:

Great pictures!

Dianne

9 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Raylene's got the worried black lab look down to perfection!

Dianne