Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Some of us have pictures on our avatars......for those of you who don't know, in my avatar is Brenda Elizabeth, my first CCI Service Dog.  I graduated with Brenda in December of 2002.  In the picture she's 15 months old and honestly, was my heart and soul.  She brought me out of the dark corners of life and gave me the courage to step forward, explore, engage and love living again.  She passed away in April, 2014 at the age of 14. 💔

I will FOREVER be grateful to that little, pure English Lab named Brenda, who couldn't wag her tail without wiggling her entire back end of her body!  I have her cremains on a shelf in my bedroom and talk to her all the time. 🐾

Please share;  who or what is in your avatar.  What's the backstory?

My avatar is Wexler, my husbands 2nd service dog. We got him August 2009 and he just passed February 1st this year at 11 1/2. He was my love and I miss him dearly. He was also nephew to Roz 1st dog Brenda. Brenda and Wexlers father were brother and sister. We are now at team training for our new service dog, so my avatar will probably change soon. Only 2 more days to go!! Tomorrow or Friday I will be able to post a pic. 

On 4/3/2019 at 5:25 PM, rangeley said:

My avatar is Wexler, my husbands 2nd service dog. We got him August 2009 and he just passed February 1st this year at 11 1/2. He was my love and I miss him dearly. He was also nephew to Roz 1st dog Brenda. Brenda and Wexlers father were brother and sister. We are now at team training for our new service dog, so my avatar will probably change soon. Only 2 more days to go!! Tomorrow or Friday I will be able to post a pic. 

I love knowing that we're related ♥️

Happy weekend everyone.

Cindy, John and Oakland are going to be very busy getting to know each other....Welcome Oakland.....All those wonderful smells you're sniffing are from a magnificent being named Wexler.  We all wish you a wonderful life!

3 hours ago, rangeley said:

Thanks for all the well wishes! Too bad he was so stressed on the long ride home

IMG_20190406_115819.jpg

IMG_20190406_135707_1.jpg

Yeah, right, we should all be so stressed!  :classic_tongue:

It never ceases to amaze me how these CCI dogs have been taught to "hunker" down onto the seat when the car is moving and just "relax!"  I just love traveling with them!

Cindy, you know how we're so used to the Black Lab hair everywhere.......well, now it's the Yellow Lab hair.  I've never had a Yellow Lab but I've heard that their hair is courser and really shows on everything.

I can't wait to hear your stories how you're building another dog with Oakland's hair!  :classic_ohmy:  Oh Well!  What are we gonna do, it comes with the territory.  And, I know you've had Yellow Labs before and can teach us a thing or two about how to deal with it!

Have fun with your new baby and when you have time keep coming in to keep us all in the loop!  Please give John a big hug and a high five  of encouragement!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

45 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Cindy, you know how we're so used to the Black Lab hair everywhere.......well, now it's the Yellow Lab hair.  I've never had a Yellow Lab but I've heard that their hair is courser and really shows on everything.

I can't wait to hear your stories how you're building another dog with Oakland's hair!  :classic_ohmy:  Oh Well!  What are we gonna do, it comes with the territory.  And, I know you've had Yellow Labs before and can teach us a thing or two about how to deal with it!

Have fun with your new baby and when you have time keep coming in to keep us all in the loop!  Please give John a big hug and a high five  of encouragement!

Roz, They are amazing. I cannot believe how he can be so comfy in our apt already. I can't remember the name for it but he does that suckling thing on a plush toy. So cute. I promise I will stop posting pics. Last one. 

IMG_20190406_200745.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Roz, They are amazing. I cannot believe how he can be so comfy in our apt already. I can't remember the name for it but he does that suckling thing on a plush toy. So cute. I promise I will stop posting pics. Last one. 

IMG_20190406_200745.jpg

Cindy, NO!  Don't stop!  I'm loving every minute with you.  As I'm sure everyone else who's on the thread is.

I love that he's so comfy, so quickly.  He's showing himself to be such a relaxed and wonderful boy to be around! 

Cindy, every day is certainly a NEW DAY isn't it?   You and John are a perfect example of "never give up!"  LOVE IT ❤️

28 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Cindy, NO!  Don't stop!  I'm loving every minute with you.  As I'm sure everyone else who's on the thread is.

I love that he's so comfy, so quickly.  He's showing himself to be such a relaxed and wonderful boy to be around! 

Cindy, every day is certainly a NEW DAY isn't it?   You and John are a perfect example of "never give up!"  LOVE IT ❤️

We are just sitting here enjoying him. It's so new and exciting. Anyone whos gotten a service dog knows that feeling of bringing them home. From day 1 when he wouldnt even look at John to cuddling with him in bed 5 days later. Amazing. 

When we got there I went to find Wexlers paver, and had a good cry. Then I was good to go. 

We had a 20yr old down syndrome kid in our class. Watching him all week was amazing. They brought the dog over to him and the dog layed down on his lap. Let me tell you alot of tears this week but all good ones. 

We ended up getting a dog from 2 puppy raisers in our own area that we know! Unbelievable. When Wex died and we were waiting for a new dog, we found out that this dog hadn't matched in the last class. Being the wackos we are, contacted the puppy raiser and asked her to send pics of him. So we have a bunch of puppy pics already. Who knew we'd actually get the dog. Alot of strange coincidences.

I remember someone, Roz, told me they give you one 10 times better than the last one and I didnt believe it. No way could any dog be better than Wex. I might be changing my mind. ❤️🐾

Edited by rangeley

3 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Oh my Oakland, I hope you "calmed" down once you got home! I will speak to your Mom and Dad and tell them you need a more comfy "ride"! ❤️

Nancy pants, he's just so relaxed. My dil just asked me if I had any pics of him standing! 

8 minutes ago, rangeley said:

We are just sitting here enjoying him. It's so new and exciting. Anyone whos gotten a service dog knows that feeling of bringing them home. From day 1 when he wouldnt even look at John to cuddling with him in bed 5 days later. Amazing. 

When we got there I went to find Wexlers paver, and had a good cry. Then I was good to go. 

We had a 20yr old down syndrome kid in our class. Watching him all week was amazing. They brought the dog over to him and the dog layed down on his lap. Let me tell you alot of tears this week but all good ones. 

We ended up getting a dog from 2 puppy raisers in our own area that we know! Unbelievable. When Wex died and we were waiting for a new dog, we found out that this dog hadn't matched in the last class. Being the wackos we are, contacted the puppy raiser and asked her to send pics of him. So we have a bunch of puppy pics already. Who knew we'd actually get the dog. Alot of strange coincidences.

I remember someone, Roz, told me they give you one 10 times better than the last one and I didnt believe it. No way could any dog be better than Wex. I might be changing my mind. ❤️🐾

Well, you've gone and done it.......I'm sitting here crying....not tearful.....CRYING!

All that you shared with us is so moving.  You must be exhausted.  When you finally go to lay down you're going to collapse.  But when you wake up, you're going to be so happy!

Cindy, you know how much I loved and adored my Brenda........I didn't think any dog could be as perfect for me as she was.  Horton has surpassed my expectations in so many ways.  I can't begin to express ALL that he does for me.  And, I'm a very difficult person.  Horton GETS ME!  

Enjoy watching Oakland's growth and bonding!  I wish I was a fly on the wall in your house.

Oakland, you are such a handsome boy!! And you just won the service dog lottery, getting to go home and live with John and Cindy. And even go on cruises!!  Raylene and I will have a full report on the Nieuw Statendam for you, you lucky dog!

Cindy, he reminds me of Firenze, my friend Pat’s CCI yellow Lab hearing dog who comes over for play dates with Raylene. Love all the photos! Don’t stop!

I’m nostalgic reading about Oakland’s homecoming, and thinking of Raylene’s first morning waking up at her new home (in NC back then). We went out to the frosty backyard around dawn for a pee, and she hopped up on a lounge chair to survey her new digs. I love how “brand new” shiny and young she looked that day.

0440535F-683D-4683-8ADF-CB89DDCF2A22.jpeg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Oakland, you are such a handsome boy!! And you just won the service dog lottery, getting to go home and live with John and Cindy. And even go on cruises!!  Raylene and I will have a full report on the Nieuw Statendam for you, you lucky dog!

Cindy, he reminds me of Firenze, my friend Pat’s CCI yellow Lab hearing dog who comes over for play dates with Raylene. Love all the photos! Don’t stop!

I’m nostalgic reading about Oakland’s homecoming, and thinking of Raylene’s first morning waking up at her new home (in NC back then). We went out to the frosty backyard around dawn for a pee, and she hopped up on a lounge chair to survey her new digs. I love how “brand new” shiny and young she looked that day.

I know that name Firenze, I just cant think of from where. 

Raylene is a beautiful dog ❤️  There was one black lab out of the 4 dogs. He was very handsome. I thought he was good looking and would love to have him. The other 3 were yellows. I'm so glad we got a yellow. I think a black lab would remind me of you know who. He's also full lab. Wex was a mix. 

3 hours ago, rangeley said:

IMG_20190406_200745.jpg

Cindy - keep posting! We are all enjoying Oakland and it is bringing back good memories of bringing our dogs home.

i know that team training was exhausting for me - hope you are all getting a good night’s rest. 

Dianne

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

"Brand new and shiny", what a perfect description of how our dogs look on their very first morning!

I remember, Brenda adopted Morey's couch and nobody said anything.......for the 12 years she lived with us the couch's were hers!  Horton just loved to follow Brenda around, wherever she went, he went! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wizard-of-roz said:

"Brand new and shiny", what a perfect description of how our dogs look on their very first morning!

I remember, Brenda adopted Morey's couch and nobody said anything.......for the 12 years she lived with us the couch's were hers!  Horton just loved to follow Brenda around, wherever she went, he went! 

Except, NEVER on the couch!  Brenda told him "NO" , in a very dirty look, and he believed her!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rangeley said:

I know that name Firenze, I just cant think of from where. 

Raylene is a beautiful dog ❤️  There was one black lab out of the 4 dogs. He was very handsome. I thought he was good looking and would love to have him. The other 3 were yellows. I'm so glad we got a yellow. I think a black lab would remind me of you know who. He's also full lab. Wex was a mix. 

Firenze is the Italian name for the city of Florence, which I think of as a feminine name, but CCI gave it to a boy puppy. Maybe the person who had naming rights loved the city. Firenze the Dog is going to stay with us for a week in June - can’t wait!

Raylene is a mix, too, from an R litter at Guide Dogs for the Blind. She couldn’t pass the vision test after she returned from her puppy raiser, so career-changed to Dogs for the Deaf.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

4 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Raylene owns the couch at our house with my blessings - because I’m too creaky to get down on the floor to play with her! (Actually it’s the getting back UP that’s the problem.)