Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

3 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Since we are posting pictures - Henri didn't want to be left out.

IMG_1809.JPG

Just when you think the "blacks" all look alike!  Henri is such a beautiful girl.  Her face is totally different than Horty's but so pretty.  Aren't they incredibly special, each such individuals!

3 hours ago, HenryKisor said:

Trooper complains there are too many big dogs and not enough small terriers. Come on, he says, cruisers with small dogs chime in here!

CCI used to train Corgi's as well as Lab & Retrievers.   When I went for my first interview in 2000 there was a man with a Corgi who showed us what his Hearing Dog could do for him, [the dog was a brilliant worker.]   When he sat down the dog sat on his lap and was easy for him to carry around.  We were told then that they no longer would be training Corgi's.

When I inquired further I was told that most of the male clients wanted a bigger dog and, at that time, the need for a dog to assist with wheelchairs, tugging, pulling etc., were in more demand.

I do agree with you about folks showing us their "smaller" SD's as well.      

CCI was the first organization I approached, but after a while I decided that its focus on big dogs wouldn't work too well for a septuagenarian with shaky pins in a condo without a backyard, and decided to go with Dogs for the Deaf (now Dogs for Better Lives) because I could specity a small dog. That outfit trains lots of Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes as hearing dogs.

56 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I love this handsome boy.........All I can say is good luck keeping his nails as short as CCI does.  I wish I could do them myself.  ✂️

Oh Roz I clipped Wexlers nails every week. They made me show them at training that I could do it. I will attempt to do it over the weekend. 

3 minutes ago, HenryKisor said:

CCI was the first organization I approached, but after a while I decided that its focus on big dogs wouldn't work too well for a septuagenarian with shaky pins in a condo without a backyard, and decided to go with Dogs for the Deaf (now Dogs for Better Lives) because I could specity a small dog. That outfit trains lots of Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes as hearing dogs.

I think its great that you can find any kind of dog you want. I agree that you need one to fit you and your lifestyle. Wexler was very tall and those legs and tail were not very compact. He was a big dog. Oakland is 10 pounds less, still kind of leggy but much smaller than Wex. I'm happy with that. 

58 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Oh Roz I clipped Wexlers nails every week. They made me show them at training that I could do it. I will attempt to do it over the weekend. 

I was taught how to use a Dremel tool for nails.  It’s so convenient and cheap.  As long as there’s the odd carrot treat, my dogs didn’t/don’t mind it at all.

2 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

Since we’re doing photos...

Skinny looking 70lb Nico sporting a new vest he’s testing out.  He’s got long legs and a Very Long body!

0A82229B-880F-4390-B9A1-000FAB1B9E45.jpeg

Nico, such a handsome boy.  You've got those HUGE ears......so does Horty.  But, I think yours win.  And, you've got the frowny face down pat!!!  So cute!!!

4 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Nico, such a handsome boy.  You've got those HUGE ears......so does Horty.  But, I think yours win.  And, you've got the frowny face down pat!!!  So cute!!!

The frowny face indeed!  His ears are not only huge but remind me of Dobby, the House Elf from Harry Potter.  😍

So, my next cruise will be on November 9th.  At first it was just with my one Granddaughter who has not cruised with me.  Then, she suggested inviting her cousin who's 2 months younger, and then it was her cousins sister, who's 4 years younger.  Now we're at 4 instead of 2.  My travel agent said that our cabin has a limit of 3, and with an 85 pound dog added to the mix he said it would be way too cramped.....so, I added another cabin to the cruise and now we can split 2 and 2 with Horty switching sleeping partners every now and then.  It's a 14 day Calif. Coastal/Mexico cruise.

Doesn't it sound like fun?  Feel free to come on board with us!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

Since we’re doing photos...

Skinny looking 70lb Nico sporting a new vest he’s testing out.  He’s got long legs and a Very Long body!

0A82229B-880F-4390-B9A1-000FAB1B9E45.jpeg

Very cute!! I agree with Roz, love the ears! 

16 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

So, my next cruise will be on November 9th.  At first it was just with my one Granddaughter who has not cruised with me.  Then, she suggested inviting her cousin who's 2 months younger, and then it was her cousins sister, who's 4 years younger.  Now we're at 4 instead of 2.  My travel agent said that our cabin has a limit of 3, and with an 85 pound dog added to the mix he said it would be way too cramped.....so, I added another cabin to the cruise and now we can split 2 and 2 with Horty switching sleeping partners every now and then.  It's a 14 day Calif. Coastal/Mexico cruise.

Sounds great Roz! Hopefully this one will do good on our cruise next month. 🙏

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

It definitely sounds like fun! Wish we were ‘t already booked with friends on a Celebrity cruise in November, even though that will be nice, too.

On 4/12/2019 at 3:33 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

Just dropping by to say "Hi, Roz!" 😘

9 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Dianne, I’ve never seen a bad picture of Henri!

Miss Photogenic wherever she goes in the world. It’s always such a challenge to get the depth of that black fur some of our labs have. 

I have to either place myself or Horty in some very precarious situations just to get just the right lighting on his face to see him through the velvet!!!!!  😍

Edited by wizard-of-roz