Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

6 hours ago, qoap24 said:

I cannot believe how ignorant some people are on that thread!

Let's see,  they mentioned; service cats, snakes, pigs, peacocks, minature horses, and on and on.  I know that the DOJ is written in such a way that only dogs and minature horses are covered under the DOJ and therefore the ADA.   The only problem with the minature horse is that it MUST go potty [specifically #2] between 5 and 9 times a day.   Can you imagine trying to control their droppings while on board a cruise ship!!!!!

I must say it does bother me when folks tell me that they're highly allergic to or scared to death of dogs.  I don't enter the elevator or I move my seat [if I can], I totally understand and I don't want anyone to be uncomfortable or "put-out!"  Thank goodness these folks are few and far between.

CCI dogs are subjected to the most rigorous training before they're allowed to go out into the public venue.  Horton once had a little girl holding on to his ear in an elevator and no one saw it until we were all ready to walk out.  Horton just kept walking until I noticed it and the girl screamed bloody murder when her mother pulled her hand away and Horton just looked at me with his beautiful, big brown eyes, as if to say; "that was weird!"

CCI is working very hard trying to take down the ignorant websites that offer fake certs., vests and other objects that people buy to get their pets into the public.

If a dog is acting badly while we're in the public I confront the handler immediately!  I remind them that they make it very difficult for folks like me to meld into society easily.  I try to use a teaching and friendly tone.....it's not always easy!  

17 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I love it!  They're all so different....I must admit, I'm in love with this dog!   He's the perfect example of a Yellow Lab [that beautiful face.]  I love your stories of Wexy compared to Oakland!

I don't know Oakland looks pretty stressed out in these photos, NOT.  What a little ham.  I would spoil him rotten.  He is so handsome.  Big ole huggles and smoochies right on top of his head! 

10 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I must say it does bother me when folks tell me that they're highly allergic to or scared to death of dogs.  I don't enter the elevator or I move my seat [if I can], I totally understand and I don't want anyone to be uncomfortable or "put-out!"  Thank goodness these folks are few and far between.

What really bothered me were the people saying that if one needs a service animal, they need to find another vacation. I had written out a whole long reply and then decided, I will never change "stupid" people's minds. One day they will be discriminated against for something and will get to experience how it feels. 

I do not have a service animal nor does anyone I know, but I cannot tolerate ignorant people that think they have more rights than anyone else. 

I will get off my soap box and I wish everyone happy sailings!

• Like 3

On 5/13/2019 at 11:41 PM, HHFamily said:

Still recovering from our trip and will post more photos and such in a day or two but I wanted to drop in and say Kali did AMAZING on her first cruise.  I was so proud of her!  As far as the paperwork I was so intimidated by?  We handed over copies of everything when we boarded and no one else ever asked for a single thing.  Not even when we got off the ship in Nassau!  😲 

Someone please tell me the paperwork for Cozumel will be easy!  Thank you all so much for your support through my extreme nervousness! ❤️

DSCN4177edited.jpg

Wonderful photo!

Don’t worry about Cozumel. We’ve gone into Mexico ports and had zero requests regarding  paperwork...but we’ve also gone into Cozumel twice recently and been required to bring the dog at 7:30 a.m. to sit in the room where local officials arrive to review all the ship’s documentation. Eventually they get around to the dog(s). Last month there were two of us - the other one was a guide dog for a blind man. The Mexican port official usually stares for a minute at your dog paperwork which the ship has provided to him/her - and then inspects and pokes around a little at the dog’s ears, eyes, coat and skin, and maybe paws, and then says you are cleared to go. I don’t think they actually asked any questions last time.

7 hours ago, qoap24 said:

What really bothered me were the people saying that if one needs a service animal, they need to find another vacation. I had written out a whole long reply and then decided, I will never change "stupid" people's minds. One day they will be discriminated against for something and will get to experience how it feels. 

I do not have a service animal nor does anyone I know, but I cannot tolerate ignorant people that think they have more rights than anyone else. 

Traveling through life with a Service Dog can be very complicated.  Before I had one my life was 180 degrees different.  Not better, a lot less complicated, in some ways easier and in a lot of ways more difficult.  Until you walk through life with a SD it's all merky and very unclear......

2 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Traveling through life with a Service Dog can be very complicated.  Before I had one my life was 180 degrees different.  Not better, a lot less complicated, in some ways easier and in a lot of ways more difficult.  Until you walk through life with a SD it's all merky and very unclear......

.....and then you are forced to face the public....at work, while shopping, going to the doctor, visiting friends & family, and then......on vacation!

Please, if you see me, come over, say hello, be patient with me because it does take more time to traverse everything in life when you have 4 more legs by your side.....don't ignore me, don't treat me any different than you would any opportunity to make a new friend, and most importantly......be kind!

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Until you walk through life with a SD it's all merky and very unclear......

I couldn't agree you with you more. I wish you the very best and many happy sailings! 

On 5/15/2019 at 4:20 PM, qoap24 said:

You are right, you can't fix stupid. The saying goes "ignorance is bliss". 

I have been following the HAL thread on Service Dogs - to suggest that someone who has a disability that is mitigated by a Service Dog should just stay home is about as insensitive as you can get. 

Dianne

3 hours ago, rangeley said:

What kills me is these people that are allergic to dogs but have jumped in a vat of perfume. That stuffs me up and I cant breathe. Yuck

When we first got involved with CCI and were attending Team Training in 2002, the trainer told us to tell folks who say that they're "deathly allergic" to dogs, to "take a pill!"  She was a little rough around the edges and I've NEVER said this yet!  

I go through life with persistent allergic rhinitis [runny nose] and my doctor said it's mainly caused by allergens in my environment.....Uh! Oh!  Hello Clariton!

1 hour ago, mmarq1992 said:

Life has been hectic recently, but Happy Graduation to Oakland and family! And glad to see Kali had a good first cruise!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! We leave on our Alaskan cruise on Monday!

Bon~Voyage, have a wonderful, restful and joyful cruise! 🚢

My post on Carnival (John Heald Blog) & Princes Cruise Lovers (Facebook) regarding Service Dogs on Cruise Ships.

After Reaching Platinum VIFP status with Carnival Cruise Lines in April 2019, I just became a CCL Stock Holder! 

I travel Solo with my Service Dog (thank you for this Topic & Contributors as it has changed my Cruise Experience) who is trained for Medical/Medication Alert. 

I am also a Veteran so you can see how I can afford the Solo rates 😎 

The Epic Halloween Thanksgiving Christmas 2019 & New Year 2020 Cruises!

Carnival Sunrise 10/28/19 FLL RT

Halloween 2019 Caribbean 

Coral Princess 11/2/19 FLL-SFO

“Because I am not flying back!” 

Panama Canal Full Transit 

Star Princess 11/19/20 LAX

Thanksgiving Hawaii 2019

2nd time sailing this route.

Royal Princess 12/9-12/21 B2B 

Mexican Riviera

Carnival Panorama 12/21/19-1/4/20 B2B Christmas & NYE 

Mexican Riviera 

You read that right! Halloween Thanksgiving & the Entire Christmas & New Year Season Booked!

A Huge Shoutout to Princess & Carnival Ship Crew! The professional customer care & amazing service are what keeps me Cruising with Carnival!! 😍

SERVICE DOG Q&A

THE BATHROOM!

There is a litter on an assigned forward deck. Peat Moss type wood chips type lawn garden stuff... it’s very nice. Puppy pads are not allowed!

DOG FOOD: Yes I pack food for the duration of the Cruise plus travel and hotels. He is fed in the cabin (I use the bathroom for easy clean up).

MEDICAL ALERTS:

Stewards, Dining, Hotel Management are fully informed of alerts and have appropriate Military & Medical Documentation.

PORTS Authorities & DOCUMENTS & Passport:

Yes I have all required Health Certs sent off to Mexico & Hawaii knows we are coming. We have been to all the Caribbean & Central/South America Ports on the 10/19-1/20 Itinerary. Not only do the lines know us, but all the Port Authorities do as well!

the process is expensive the first time, but run about $300 per cruise after all the Tests/Vaccines are administered. The Cruise line does not charge for the Litter or for the Service Dog & will not provide dog food. There is a Cruise Ship Contract Addendum for my Service Dog. The Countries visited dictate Vaccines, Applications and Permits. No Country has quarantine for Cruise Ports of Call. The USDA has a disclaimer that Countries can and do change requirements without notice. Basically all countries have Agricultural documents and they must have a USDA APHIS (Agricultural) Raised Stamp to be authentic. Inspection is typically 15 minutes before the scheduled Gangway All Clear at a determined location near the gangway. Port Authorities clear the Service Dog, sometimes not. It's happened. If we are on a Ship with YOU and I am running full speed through the Hotel to Deck X it’s because we have a last minute Inspection request from the Local Port Authorities!

PORTS:

We go to Beach Ports I get an Umbrella & chair & I periodically dunk him in the ocean. Just like a toddler we go straight to shower and we both wash completely before leaving the cabin again.

We wear spray on 100+ Sunscreen at all times.😎

GROOMING: a true Service Dog is fully groomed every 10 days down to the skin level to prevent Skin Diseases, and touch ups with Wipes to paws limbs and undercarriage daily. A dog with yellow eyes/muzzle or sticky fur around the face is not a working dog. A fluffy anything is not a Working Dog, & there is a huge difference between a WHITE FACE & PAWS Teddy Bear Cut, or Working Cut Well Groomed & Clean, and a fluffy thing. A Working Dog is Clean Dry & Serviceable at all times.😍

BEHAVIOR: 

https://search.ada.gov/search?query=Service+Dog+&search=go&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=iso-8859-1&oe=UTF-8&client=default_frontend&proxystylesheet=default_frontend&affiliate=justice-ada

1 hour ago, Onagh said:

My post on Carnival (John Heald Blog) & Princes Cruise Lovers (Facebook) regarding Service Dogs on Cruise Ships.

After Reaching Platinum VIFP status with Carnival Cruise Lines in April 2019, I just became a CCL Stock Holder! 

I travel Solo with my Service Dog (thank you for this Topic & Contributors as it has changed my Cruise Experience) who is trained for Medical/Medication Alert. 

I am also a Veteran so you can see how I can afford the Solo rates 😎 

The Epic Halloween Thanksgiving Christmas 2019 & New Year 2020 Cruises!

You read that right! Halloween Thanksgiving & the Entire Christmas & New Year Season Booked!

Wow!  The end of this year will be filled with lots of cruising fun for you!  Thanks for sharing all your good info.

I’m curious...

In all my correspondence with Cunard regarding my service dog, their reply has been “Your reservation has been noted...”

yet my copies have no mention of a service dog.

Has anyone gotten their booking confirmation or other documentation with any mention of your service dog?  

I’ve printed off all my email correspondence but I can’t help thinking how muck easier it would be - for all involved - if my booking documentation was updated to say the dog and all documentation pertaining to him was received and up to date. 

Heck, I’d settle for just a note about the dog!

My family will be traveling to Cuba in August 2019.  Wondering if anyone has taken their service dog there and what your experience was?  Did you have any trouble with the excursions and having a service dog with you?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, bobbijooneal said:

My family will be traveling to Cuba in August 2019.  Wondering if anyone has taken their service dog there and what your experience was?  Did you have any trouble with the excursions and having a service dog with you?

Thanks!

As far as I know, they do not allow service dogs in Cuba. 

3 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

I’m curious...

In all my correspondence with Cunard regarding my service dog, their reply has been “Your reservation has been noted...”

yet my copies have no mention of a service dog.

Has anyone gotten their booking confirmation or other documentation with any mention of your service dog?  

I’ve printed off all my email correspondence but I can’t help thinking how muck easier it would be - for all involved - if my booking documentation was updated to say the dog and all documentation pertaining to him was received and up to date. 

Heck, I’d settle for just a note about the dog!

The only documentation we got is the service dog form to fill out. No mention of it on our reservation. 

On 11/14/2018 at 12:02 AM, wizard-of-roz said:

Peach, you are quite a cutie.  It sounds like you had a wonderful cruise.  Where did they place the potty-box?

We are headed to Cuba in August of this year (2019).  Did you take an excursion and if so did you have any problems?  We are signed up for a tour that takes place in some of the old cars.  Wondering if we will have any problems.  

6 minutes ago, rangeley said:

The only documentation we got is the service dog form to fill out. No mention of it on our reservation. 

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I’m ahead of the curve since I have an actual letter that says “Your Service Animal has been approved to sail and we look forward to welcoming you aboard.”   There was also what I would call a letter of indemnity for me to sign.