Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

49 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Oh!  No!  He was such a great guy and would comment on our thread a lot!  I'm so, so sorry to hear this news.  I wish his family sincere condolences.  

He made such nice, interesting comments and took good care of us. He will surely be missed. Do you remember when we had a terrible troll a few years ago who made a few really thoughtless and obnoxious posts? Walt stepped in, deleted his posts, and I think even banned him. I’m so sad for his family.

7 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

He made such nice, interesting comments and took good care of us. He will surely be missed. Do you remember when we had a terrible troll a few years ago who made a few really thoughtless and obnoxious posts? Walt stepped in, deleted his posts, and I think even banned him. I’m so sad for his family.

I do remember when Walt stepped in and got rid of the troll.  We've been around Cruise Critic for a long time and it was very frustrating and disturbing to have someone be negative and so mean spirited.  Walt shut him down pretty quickly.  He did a good job, I hope they find someone to moderate the boards as effectively as Walt did!

He was truly a part of our family and I'll miss his input.  Very sad!

10 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

2124516102_Horton-Miracle-2016.thumb.JPG.6b9baaf1d62f2a455e3a62ab64803696.JPG

Happy 10th Birthday Horton Jeffrey........He's wearing the formal wear that Aunt Cindy & Uncle John sent him!  We were onboard the Emerald Princess.  🎂 🎈

Happy Birthday Horty!! So handome in his tux!! ❤️🐾🎂🎉

Wow!  I've been swamped with work, and away for most of April.  I had lots of reading to do!  

Congrats to Oakland, he has a great place now.  

I'm finally back to full time walking, and the wheelchair is relegated to being folded up and in the basement.  Lots of PT still to do, as the 11 weeks I spent in the WC did a number on my muscle tone.  Well, that and the surgeries.  Scooter is glad to be back at work with me, although he enjoyed the Pooches Palace.  We've now learned we have a place in town that is safe to leave him, besides the vet.  If I'm having a really rough day, I can drop him there for a few hours of running with other dogs and he will be tired out.  They are inspected regularly, clean, and careful with the dogs.  One of the employees used to be a vet tech and is currently a dog trainer (although to baby talk with the dogs for my taste), but we know him and trust him.

My youngest graduates from university on May 18, with a degree in mechanical engineering.  He receives his commission in the US Army on the same day, and will spend the next few years on active duty.  He had earned a ROTC scholarship upon graduating from high school, and will graduate from university debt free - zero in student loans.  We didn't have to borrow anything, either!  I'm so proud of him!  He will spend the summer at Ft Knox, then the fall at Fort Lee, VA, then move to Savannah, GA in late January.  We are disappointed he won't be able to join us on our December cruise, but it happens.  The debt free part is definitely worth some sacrifices!  

5 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Wow!  I've been swamped with work, and away for most of April.  I had lots of reading to do!  

I'm finally back to full time walking, and the wheelchair is relegated to being folded up and in the basement.  Lots of PT still to do, as the 11 weeks I spent in the WC did a number on my muscle tone.  Well, that and the surgeries.  Scooter is glad to be back at work with me, although he enjoyed the Pooches Palace.  We've now learned we have a place in town that is safe to leave him, besides the vet.  If I'm having a really rough day, I can drop him there for a few hours of running with other dogs and he will be tired out.  They are inspected regularly, clean, and careful with the dogs.  One of the employees used to be a vet tech and is currently a dog trainer (although to baby talk with the dogs for my taste), but we know him and trust him.

My youngest graduates from university on May 18, with a degree in mechanical engineering.  He receives his commission in the US Army on the same day, and will spend the next few years on active duty.  He had earned a ROTC scholarship upon graduating from high school, and will graduate from university debt free - zero in student loans.  We didn't have to borrow anything, either!  I'm so proud of him!  He will spend the summer at Ft Knox, then the fall at Fort Lee, VA, then move to Savannah, GA in late January.  We are disappointed he won't be able to join us on our December cruise, but it happens.  The debt free part is definitely worth some sacrifices!  

Congratulations Barb!  I'm glad you're doing well and that your son is having such positive things happen in his life.  We, who are parents, can definitely relate to that feeling that our children are achieving success in their life's goals!  I'm happy for you!

Will you be wheelchair free for your Dec. cruise?

11 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Great to hear you're doing well! Sounds like you have a lot going on right now. Same with us. Congrats to your son, what a great accomplishment. You must be so proud. 

Cindy

We too are busy. Next week we go back down to NY for graduation. Most of you know you can watch John and Oak graduate live on cci.org the NER region. And its on the site for viewing later. 

Two weeks later we got the cruise. So we are getting things ready for that. I had a great groomer for Wex. In the fall I stopped taking him because he was very anxious and I had to push him in the place. It was cage free and of course Mr. Neurotic didn't like it. I bathed him a couple of times before he passed. I called twice to make an appointment for Oak and neither time did they call me back. I'm not happy ☹️   So I guess I can add that to my list of things to do. 

Question: If I bathe him for the graduation can I bathe him 2 weeks after for the cruise???  I've never given a dog a bath that close together but I want him nice for both events. Any input would be appreciated. 

Cindy

Edited by rangeley

Thanks for the comments and congrats above.

I don’t expect to need the chair in December.  That cruise was supposed to be both of our (human) adult children and their SOs.  Plus my mom and someone with her.  We haven’t canceled our son’s room yet, but expect he won’t be able to go.  I just have to get the leg up to strength, and the knee and ankle up to par.  Ankle and knee surgery, involving both bone and soft tissue, is hard to recover from.  I’m not walking on unpaved ground yet,  but expect to soon.  I have a renewed appreciation for the ADA help though.  

We we are thrilled, since our daughter (25) is now debt free on her side (hubby still has student loans and a car loan though) and son is graduating debt free.  

I can’t imagine what I’d be doing without Scooter these days.  Today, I can’t get anything off the floor.  Luckily, he has a great response to “bring it” with a point.  

5 hours ago, rangeley said:

We too are busy. Next week we go back down to NY for graduation. Most of you know you can watch John and Oak graduate live on cci.org the NER region. And its on the site for viewing later. 

Two weeks later we got the cruise. So we are getting things ready for that. I had a great groomer for Wex. In the fall I stopped taking him because he was very anxious and I had to push him in the place. It was cage free and of course Mr. Neurotic didn't like it. I bathed him a couple of times before he passed. I called twice to make an appointment for Oak and neither time did they call me back. I'm not happy ☹️   So I guess I can add that to my list of things to do. 

Question: If I bathe him for the graduation can I bathe him 2 weeks after for the cruise???  I've never given a dog a bath that close together but I want him nice for both events. Any input would be appreciated. 

Cindy

He may not need another bath that fast, but if you do want to give him another, I would use some conditioner or a shampoo/conditioner combo.  I use the Burt’s Bees one.  My groomer uses “Mane and Tail” I believe.  We start to notice an odor from Scooter after about 3 weeks in the warmer months, 4-5 in colder months.  I can often stretch it if I brush him daily.  I use a soft Zoom Groom, the blue one.  I wash it daily after brushing him with it,  and know he really needs a bath if I’m getting black oil from his (golden) fur.

i have also just used baby wipes to wipe the surface of his fur.  

10 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

It's wonderful to read such wonderful postings.

Happy Belated Birthday Horton.

And congratulations to Algebralovr.  You must be so proud!  Oh, and best wishes to him.  He's starting off the right way.

Thank you!  I love your avatar......one of Horton's favorite thing to do is play with an empty plastic water bottle....he loves the noise it makes.  For those dogs who have to swallow everything, make sure you take the cap off.  Horton does not like foreign objects in his mouth, he'll mouth it, move it, play with it and then set it aside.

7 hours ago, rangeley said:

Cindy

I love CCI Graduations and will definitely be watching.  Gotta have a box of kleenex  nearby.  Nothing more moving than watching these beautiful dogs saying good bye and thank you to their PuppyRaisers!

I know exactly how you feel about wanting your dog to be "fresh" before your cruise.  I think if you use an oatmeal type shampoo that's gentle and not too drying with an aloe conditioning rinse it will be fine and Oakland will be ready to go.  

Good luck and have fun at Graduation......So many good things happening in your lives, enjoy!

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I love CCI Graduations and will definitely be watching.  Gotta have a box of kleenex  nearby.  Nothing more moving than watching these beautiful dogs saying good bye and thank you to their PuppyRaisers!

I know exactly how you feel about wanting your dog to be "fresh" before your cruise.  I think if you use an oatmeal type shampoo that's gentle and not too drying with an aloe conditioning rinse it will be fine and Oakland will be ready to go.  

Good luck and have fun at Graduation......So many good things happening in your lives, enjoy!

I will have plenty of kleenex for both of us!! 

As for the bath, I guess I'll wait and see. 

Edited by rangeley