Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thank you Roz. We will be driving all day tomorrow and visiting family for a few days before the cruise.  It might be good because it will break up our routine gradually with things she is used to. it's the location of the potty box that worries me most.  I really hope we don't have audiences while she does her stuff. It's amazing the people who watch at Wal-Mart when she goes on command.  I turn around and someone is pointing about 50% of the time. Roz, you say they will move the box closer to our end of the ship? We are both getting older and an early morning hike to the distant end of the ship sounds daunting.

So I made this up because I get stopped all the time about Chavela. Do you think it’s too much? Sometimes I’m just exhausted and others we are heading for doggy box. 

0ACD1BBD-C0A8-4D26-8F3F-59E3629546DE.jpeg

Edited by lindaler
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, lindaler said:

Thank you Roz. We will be driving all day tomorrow and visiting family for a few days before the cruise.  It might be good because it will break up our routine gradually with things she is used to. it's the location of the potty box that worries me most.  I really hope we don't have audiences while she does her stuff. It's amazing the people who watch at Wal-Mart when she goes on command.  I turn around and someone is pointing about 50% of the time. Roz, you say they will move the box closer to our end of the ship? We are both getting older and an early morning hike to the distant end of the ship sounds daunting.

FIRST:  Make sure Chavela has had a chance to go potty before you enter the cruise terminal.

SECOND:  After you board go directly to the Passenger Services Desk and ask where the box has been placed.  Go to the box, if you're unhappy i.e. you think it's too much of a walk from your cabin, it too exposed to the elements, it's difficult to traverse the doors, hallways, it's too small, etc.  You can insist that they move it to where it's best for you.  There is NO HEALTH LAW that states the box can not be placed on your veranda, if you have one.  If you're on Princess insist they place it in a stairwell.

THIRD:  Go to the dining room and speak with the Matre d' to make sure that your dining room experience will be a pleasant one.  You want to be placed against a wall/ rail or under a window so that Chavela can be placed against it for safety.  You don't want to place her under the table, there's too much of a that she'll be stepped on.  Talk to your servers and make sure they're aware that your dog is there and they should be careful.

Once Chavela's issues are all settled you're ready to truly enjoy your cruise!

Our box was initially placed on deck 5.  My cabin was on deck 8.  A visit to the Purser’s sorted that out.

I queued up in a long line to get my table sorted; what a waste of time!  Next time I’ll just go for dinner and sort it out then.  

I should add that I’ve had to do that when I cruised without my dog; using a power wheelchair makes most table locations undoable.  Those that are doable seem purpose built for cruising with a dog.

Edited by Miki_moto

16 minutes ago, Miki_moto said:

The box was initially placed on deck 5.  My cabin was on deck 8.  A visit to the Purser’s sorted that out.

I queued up in a long line to get my table sorted; what a waste of time!  Next time I’ll just go for dinner and sort it out then.  

I should add that I’ve had to do that when I cruised without my dog; using a power wheelchair makes most table locations undoable.  Those that are doable seem purpose built for cruising with a dog.

I hear you about that feeling of "waste of time".....I waited until the evening to deal with the table on my last cruise and it was a long line and a very frustrated crowd of tired travelers to stand behind.  I really give the Matre d' and his staff a lot of credit, they handled Horton, me and our needs very well.

There was a server who literally climbed the walls to get away from Horton.  His fear of my big black boy was so extreme they actually had to move his serving station to the other side of the dining room.  When he would see us coming during the afternoon tea or in the buffet area at lunch time he would physically run in the other direction, pushing people out of his way.  I NEVER was able to diffuse his fear of Horton for the whole 14 days.

And, then there's the staff who went out of their way to touch and be near Horton.  You never know!

That said; ALWAYS be aware of the folks who are deathly afraid of dogs.  Be mindful of them and if you can, give them lots of space and stay clear of them.

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1

The line was for table changes - the wait made longer by a woman who got a last minute “deal” and was arguing about not getting a table for 2 at the window, no less!  She was still arguing, with a different staff person, when the line moved about eight people and we were helped.  She held up that line for over 20 minutes before they realized she thought she could wear them down so they had someone else deal with her.  We saw her in the Lido; she said they wouldn’t give her a table for 2 so she refused to eat in the dining room.  🙄

We booked as soon as the cruise went on sale, early January 2018, and we weren’t placed near the window!  Some people are just entitled, I guess.

Edited by Miki_moto

1 hour ago, Miki_moto said:

The line was for table changes - the wait made longer by a woman who got a last minute “deal” and was arguing about not getting a table for 2 at the window, no less!  She was still arguing, with a different staff person, when the line moved about eight people and we were helped.  She held up that line for over 20 minutes before they realized she thought she could wear them down so they had someone else deal with her.  We saw her in the Lido; she said they wouldn’t give her a table for 2 so she refused to eat in the dining room.  🙄

We booked as soon as the cruise went on sale, early January 2018, and we weren’t placed near the window!  Some people are just entitled, I guess.

As is in real life, not just on cruises, there are people who act like children wherever they go.  They pout, stamp their feet and make lots of noise.  I try and avoid them by walking around them and pretending they're invisible.  If they continue to act badly, I simply walk away.  When I walk away from someone it's quite a scene, since I look more like a small parade.......Amazing how walking through life with a 90lb Service Dog tends to make you look bigger in life!

I swear some folks wouldn't be happy if you handed them a gold plated fork and spoon and then promised to wipe their faces!

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2019 at 10:46 AM, krene said:

Hi everyone

We are taking a cruise on Royal Caribbean in December to the Bahamas this will be our first ever cruise with my husbands service dog and I'm overwhelmed with what has to be done and when ? I know my first step has to be a microchip as his current chip is not a iso 15 digit . thank you for any help

I was overwhelmed and you will be until you get on the ship, then everything will seem like a breeze.  You have come to the right place.  You are never a pain, ask away, we all have.  

I took my service dog on his first cruise in November.  It seemed like so much, it is, but it is manageable.  Just make sure to start getting ready, research, what vaccinations and paperwork you can early.  Start training to a box at home.  Take everything that is required with several copies and more than is required; just to be sure to cover all your basis.  

Linda and Halo

18 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

Sounds like the TA I dropped.  

Linda and Halo

4 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Sounds like the TA I dropped.  

Linda and Halo

With all due respect......a TA can only do so much.  It's up to US to take care of business.  My children sometimes make fun of me because I just don't allow for non-service in any avenue of life.  If I feel I need and deserve to be taken care of in a more efficient way, I will insist on it.  Always approaching the issue in a kind and gentle manner.  I have great respect for the "service" industry, no matter what "service" that may be! 

I can't help it if I'm a "big" presence.  Having a Service Dog certainly adds to the equation. :classic_rolleyes:

On 7/26/2019 at 4:53 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

With all due respect......a TA can only do so much.  It's up to US to take care of business.  My children sometimes make fun of me because I just don't allow for non-service in any avenue of life.  If I feel I need and deserve to be taken care of in a more efficient way, I will insist on it.  Always approaching the issue in a kind and gentle manner.  I have great respect for the "service" industry, no matter what "service" that may be! 

I can't help it if I'm a "big" presence.  Having a Service Dog certainly adds to the equation. :classic_rolleyes:

I completely agree with you.

However, the TA I had was platinum and was one of those that complained about everything.  Then talked bad about her clients.  When I found out she wouldn't help me because she was saying I was faking my disability and Halo was fake.  She was happy to book and take my money, but that was pretty much it.  Since she chose what to believe.  So my comment about "sound like my past TA" has to do with being entitled.

Linda and Halo

On 7/22/2019 at 9:33 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

Dr. Delancey was also very helpful to me back in April. We have obtained the Bahamas permit twice and did not have to pay a fee - we included proof from the training organization of my dog's status as a service dog and requested a fee waiver. They will accept faxes and will fax back the legal-length permit to the number you provide. (My vet's fax only has letter-length paper, so I gave them a friend's law office fax number.)

The FAX number is 1-242-325-3960

Phone number below:

Dr. Deandra S. Delancey-Milfort BSc. DVM
Veterinary Officer
Veterinary Services Unit
Department of Agriculture

Phone: 1-242-397-7450/1

ok im ready to fax in paperwork has anyone actually done this ? I have faxed before but never internationally what do I have to do extra from a normal fax ? 

We are on the ship. They had a box set up at the back end on deck 2. I am at the front end of deck 1. They said there was another dog on board. They put a second box up front on deck 3. That works for me. Haven’t seen or heard who or where the other dog lives.  I sure hope it’s a real service dog.  I really like the sod they have in both boxes. Chavela has already broken in both of them. 

91B53117-B719-43BC-8F4D-D0FF8EBD8619.jpeg

Edited by lindaler
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, lindaler said:

We are on the ship. They had a box set up at the back end on deck 2. I am at the front end of deck 1. They said there was another dog on board. They put a second box up front on deck 3. That works for me. Haven’t seen or heard who or where the other dog lives.  I sure hope it’s a real service dog.  I really like the sod they have in both boxes. Chavela has already broken in both of them. 

That is a handsome box.  The filler is easy for Chavela to walk on and easy to clean.  What cruise line and ship are you on?  Good job!  Continue to have a good cruise.

4 hours ago, lindaler said:

Holland America on the Amsterdam. Rough seas tonight with gale force winds. Guess we will find out if Chavela gets seasick. 

I hope not.  Make sure that her water bowl is available for her to stay hydrated.  

The only time I thought Horton was getting close to seasick was when we were onboard the Pacific Princess, in Mexico and I had a cabin in the forward section of the ship.  I will NEVER do that again.  The Pacific is the smallest ship in their fleet and the front of the ship tends to get all the motion.   It's best to stay midship and high up.

I hope you both do well.

15 hours ago, lindaler said:

Holland America always does a great job with the potty box. Have a great cruise! 

We are melting!  109, going to be 113.  Rockford does not do the heat!  As long as there is a shady place he will go pots.  But if no shade, he bee-lines it back too the doer to get in.  I have to carry him clear down the side of the house, past the pool.  Little booger is getting heavy!  He is getting better and better every day, except for the biting!  Sharp, sharp, sharp nails and teeth!  He has Kong toys to chew on but that gets boring.  I put one of them in the freezer for him, he seems to like that.

5 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

We are melting!  109, going to be 113.  Rockford does not do the heat!  As long as there is a shady place he will go pots.  But if no shade, he bee-lines it back too the doer to get in.  I have to carry him clear down the side of the house, past the pool.  Little booger is getting heavy!  He is getting better and better every day, except for the biting!  Sharp, sharp, sharp nails and teeth!  He has Kong toys to chew on but that gets boring.  I put one of them in the freezer for him, he seems to like that.

I'm so sorry!   Open the freezer and take it all in!  It's almost Christmas......say it enough, maybe this will pass faster!

Enjoy your puppy, soon he'll be a big boy and you'll wonder where the time went!

Edited by wizard-of-roz