Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

23 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

They're very common on cruise ships.  It's any staircase that you can see through the back of.  The stairs actually look like they're floating.

On Horton's very first cruise it was so much fun to take the beautiful staircases and use the glass elevators.  I had gotten so used to avoiding both of them because Brenda hated them.

Also, it was so much easier when we were in a shopping mall or entering the Princess Reception area in L.A. because part of Horton's training was the use of escalator's.  It took CCI a long time to start training their pups to use escalator's. 

I can barely walk and certainly can't do stairs, so Halo has never experienced the floating stairs.  I didn't know what they where called, but have experienced those before this disease progressed.

Linda and Halo

5 hours ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

I am traveling this December to the Bahamas with my family and my daughters service dog. I have emailed the Bahams on the email they have on their website asking about the fee for a service dog and I was wondering if this was the correct email address. The address I sent it to was minagriculturemarine@bahamas.gov.bs

I have not heard back from them at this point. I was also inquiring how far out from my cruise date should I send in the application and am I able to fax it over via sending it over UPS/FEDEX? Thank you for your help. This will be the first time cruising with Teddy and I am trying to ensure it is as seamless as possible for my wife not to worry about it. 

A year ago I was in contact with Dandra Delancey, the Veterinary Officer in the Bahamas.  She was wonderful.  deandradelancey@bahamas.gov.bs.  

Linda and Halo

On 7/16/2019 at 7:00 PM, rangeley said:

I'm actually excited to go back to Holland America. Half moon cay is one of our favorite places. We managed to nab the handicapped cabana for the day. 

That will be wonderful, Cindy! We've never tried a cabana, so look forward to hearing about it.

I like Half Moon Cay, too - the beach is lovely. They have added a"lobster shack"on the island and there will be a note in the daily program advising that you can order grilled lobster and a few other choices (for a surcharge of course, but I don't think it was an exorbitant one). Might try that next time. 

On 7/19/2019 at 10:15 PM, rpclmc said:

A year ago I was in contact with Dandra Delancey, the Veterinary Officer in the Bahamas.  She was wonderful.  deandradelancey@bahamas.gov.bs.  

Linda and Halo

Dr. Delancey was also very helpful to me back in April. We have obtained the Bahamas permit twice and did not have to pay a fee - we included proof from the training organization of my dog's status as a service dog and requested a fee waiver. They will accept faxes and will fax back the legal-length permit to the number you provide. (My vet's fax only has letter-length paper, so I gave them a friend's law office fax number.)

The FAX number is 1-242-325-3960

Phone number below:

Dr. Deandra S. Delancey-Milfort BSc. DVM
Veterinary Officer
Veterinary Services Unit
Department of Agriculture

Phone: 1-242-397-7450/1

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

That will be wonderful, Cindy! We've never tried a cabana, so look forward to hearing about it.

I like Half Moon Cay, too - the beach is lovely. They have added a"lobster shack"on the island and there will be a note in the daily program advising that you can order grilled lobster and a few other choices (for a surcharge of course, but I don't think it was an exorbitant one). Might try that next time. 

We've gotten a cabana a few times. John can wheel right down to it. It's the only way he can enjoy the island. He cannot stay in the sun for very long nor can the dog. Wex used to love laying on one of the lounge chairs. He hated the heat, I assume cuz he was black. Oak seems to do alot better, unless its 100 degrees. ☹️

He will be 7 or 8 weeks old this Saturday when we pick him up.  Was so excited forgot to ask.  We were just inquiring, because they didn't have any pups left, right now.  They have a litter coming in August and 2 in September which would have been pawfect timing for us.  The guy called, sent a text and an email, the next day saying that the people that had reserved him had backed out, so SCORE, we get him.  

I just realized I attached the same photo.  Wonder if I can delete one of them?  Will try. 

Well it looks like it deleted the whole second post, which is ok. His name isn't set in stone. They are using the Disney characters for the parents.  Wendi is from Peter Pan (I had forgot that) and I wasn't quite clear on what he said dad's name is.  It sounded like Soar or Zor, but don't find either when I google the characters.  Will wait until I see the papers.  Might change it to Wendi's Soaring Silver Rockford.  That sounds better.   

Edited by S.S. Cruisers
Add text
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Well it looks like it deleted the whole second post, which is ok. His name isn't set in stone. They are using the Disney characters for the parents.  Wendi is from Peter Pan (I had forgot that) and I wasn't quite clear on what he said dad's name is.  It sounded like Soar or Zor, but don't find either when I google the characters.  Will wait until I see the papers.  Might change it to Wendi's Soaring Silver Rockford.  That sounds better.   

Congratulations Nancy and family.  He's such a cutie and a very lucky boy to have such a loving family.

What are you going to call him for short?

9 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Congratulations Nancy and family.  He's such a cutie and a very lucky boy to have such a loving family.

What are you going to call him for short?

His name is not carved in stone, except for the "Rockford" Rocky for short.  We will have to mess around with including mom and dad's name to his AKC name.   We shall see.  Who knows what his actual nickname will be.  I'm  thinking Precious Pup! ❤️

Hi everyone

We are taking a cruise on Royal Caribbean in December to the Bahamas this will be our first ever cruise with my husbands service dog and I'm overwhelmed with what has to be done and when ? I know my first step has to be a microchip as his current chip is not a iso 15 digit . thank you for any help

You are in the right place to get help. I never thought I could do it alone with a service dog and now a short 60 days later, after all these great people helped me, I will be leaving in five days for 14 days in Alaska. Chavela has learned to use a cat box, who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. And if this works like it should we will be cruising again. These people have helped with what forms we needed, what she should be used to for potty boxes and other great suggestions. She has almost a whole suitcase for herself what with the artificial turf and more than 14 days of food, her sweaters and blankets, and other important things. But I think we are ready and thanks to these brave people we will face the obstacles with the knowledge of years of experience shared with us. 

23 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

I can hardly contain myself.  I hope I can post a picture.  We want you to meet Wendi's Soaring Rockford.  AKA: Rocky for short.  We pick him up Saturday!  I will get better pictures then. ❤️ 

IMG_0766.JPG

Oh Nancy he's beautiful!!!! Cant wait to see him grow up. 

3 hours ago, krene said:

Hi everyone

We are taking a cruise on Royal Caribbean in December to the Bahamas this will be our first ever cruise with my husbands service dog and I'm overwhelmed with what has to be done and when ? I know my first step has to be a microchip as his current chip is not a iso 15 digit . thank you for any help

Congratulations, you will love cruising with your Service Dog.  

The Microchip is a great start since you really should not be traveling in any venue without one.

Check with guest relations when you get to the ship and check on where the box is located.  If you're unhappy with it, this is the time to let them know.

You will find what is needed for Bahamas on the page before this.  

Just remember to make a few copies of your paperwork so that you can hand one off at registration without having to wait for them to make copies.  You also may be contacted via your cabin phone to come down to a lounge at the first port so that an Immigration official can examine your dog.  Don't forget to bring a set of all your paperwork to hand them.

I say this a lot.......Give yourself lots of time to get from one place to another on and off the ship.  Do allow other's to pat your dog after they've asked.  Some folks will even want to take pictures of your dog.  That's up to you.

Be careful in the dining room and in the lounges, allow lots of space for your dog to lay down.  DON'T LEAVE YOUR DOG IN THE CABIN ALONE!

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  Most importantly, have fun!

sorry if im being a pain another question I have is  our only international port is the Bahamas and I know they require the permit but do I need the international health certificate at the us ports to get thru security going and coming home ? thank you 

On 7/22/2019 at 3:09 PM, S.S. Cruisers said:

I can hardly contain myself.  I hope I can post a picture.  We want you to meet Wendi's Soaring Rockford.  AKA: Rocky for short.  We pick him up Saturday!  I will get better pictures then. ❤️ 

IMG_0766.JPG

I hope he's as smart as he is cute.

Have a great life together. 

5 hours ago, krene said:

sorry if im being a pain another question I have is  our only international port is the Bahamas and I know they require the permit but do I need the international health certificate at the us ports to get thru security going and coming home ? thank you 

Yes.   Unless something has changed, you need the Aphis 7001 form to be filled out by your Vet.   It's a certificate for international travel for small animals going into a foreign country via airlines/cruise ships.  It tells a story about your dog in terms of their up-to-date immunizations and condition of their; skin/fur/eyes/ears, and use of HeartGuard/Advantix and whether they've been spayed/neutered and information about their MicroChip.  

I'm glad they ask for this.  For those who try to pass their pets as Service Dogs, this form asks the right questions and insists that the licensed Vet sign it.  It deters the fakes away.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

14 hours ago, krene said:

(You aren't a pain at all. Everybody here asks questions and we all have learned from each other.😀)

I agree with Roz - I always get a Form 7001 from the vet, even for cruises that only include US and Canadian ports, for three reasons.

One, the cruise lines expect to see paperwork at check-in, and a 7001 health certificate & rabies vaccination certificate are the basics. Two, when you return to a US Port of Entry, you might someday be taken to a room for the dog to be inspected by a Dept. of Agriculture official - and if you can produce those basics, you should be on your way soon. I’ve only had that happen once, at the Miami cruise port, but it DOES happen. Three, sometimes an airline check-in clerk will ask you for health records. This happened when we were flying home from St. Croix, a U.S. Territory which has a customs & agriculture pre-clearance for departing flights. 

Note that we’ve driven into Canada and back to the US numerous times (and walked across at Niagara Falls), and border agents on both sides have barely glanced at the dog, and never asked to see any dog-related papers. But cruise lines and airlines have their own procedures.

On 7/23/2019 at 11:50 AM, lindaler said:

You are in the right place to get help. I never thought I could do it alone with a service dog and now a short 60 days later, after all these great people helped me, I will be leaving in five days for 14 days in Alaska. Chavela has learned to use a cat box, who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. And if this works like it should we will be cruising again. These people have helped with what forms we needed, what she should be used to for potty boxes and other great suggestions. She has almost a whole suitcase for herself what with the artificial turf and more than 14 days of food, her sweaters and blankets, and other important things. But I think we are ready and thanks to these brave people we will face the obstacles with the knowledge of years of experience shared with us. 

I've been wondering how to pronounce your dog's name? We're midship on deck 3 so will probably see each other around. I know not to talk to a working dog but I'd like to be able to say hi if that's OK and there's an appropriate time for that.

2 hours ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

I've been wondering how to pronounce your dog's name? We're midship on deck 3 so will probably see each other around. I know not to talk to a working dog but I'd like to be able to say hi if that's OK and there's an appropriate time for that.

This is absolutely lovely.  lindaler, you've already made a friend onboard.  Please do allow for some patting of Chavela after your fellow passengers have asked first.  The public is so fascinated by a highly trained Service Dog and are very curious.  

"Cruising is Bliss", thank you for your interest!

lindaler & Chavela, I want to wish you a hearty Bon~Voyage.  Have fun, have a foo-foo drink for all of us.

Give yourself lots of time to get from venue to another.  Be careful in the shops on board, there's not lots of room for Chavela to maneuver around.  

If you need help while on board don't hesitate to go to the Passenger Services Desk and get your needs met.  If you feel you're not getting what you need, as to speak with the Hotel Manager.  Every ship has one and they want you to be happy!

We're here for you if you need any help!

5 hours ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

Thank you, we will meet if not before, at the meet and greet. Her breed is pronounced show low it's queen tlee.  But it's easier to just say show low (xolo). So many ask that I printed up cards that say that and a little about her breed and what a service dog does.