Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

2 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

I struggled with needing the wheelchair and an accessible room.  People think you are giving up, actually giving up would be not accepting those things and staying home because you can't do things.  I tell people as much as I don't like the progression, my giving in is just that giving in to change as opposed to giving up.

I have only cruised Carnival with accessible rooms.  I had the same concern about the water after having those experiences in hotels.  It was great, very little water got on the floor.  

Halo loves retrieving things also.  He gets so excited to work for me at home.  He is so serious out in public.

Linda and Halo

Thanks, Linda.
Some days I don't need anything at all.  Other days I need the cane.  Other days I'm glad we have the WC and the ramp.  

I guess I'm just frustrated.

Barb, if you need a HC cabin for one reason is enough for you to request one.  I totally understand how you feel.  I have only been on the Celebrity Summit.  I stopped requesting HC cabins after my husband passed away.  But, I have to tell you it's very crowded in a regular cabin with two people and a Service Dog.  I was also bothered by the lack of sink space in the bathroom.  Maybe it was just the cabin we had and there's more sink space in other HC cabins.  Why wouldn't someone in a wheel chair need to have the use of a sink for their bathroom amenities? 

I'm not in a wheel chair but I do bring a walker that usually doesn't fit through the cabin door and folding it each time we exit and enter is a pain.  I'm going to do some real "fold-up" practicing before my next cruise.

14 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Thanks, Linda.
Some days I don't need anything at all.  Other days I need the cane.  Other days I'm glad we have the WC and the ramp.  

I guess I'm just frustrated.

I can still stand and I walk VERY slowly.  I used the wheelchair for distance.  I am able to load and unload my own wheelchair and get from the door of a plane to the seat with just my cane.  I am able to move around the cabin, house, hotel room, etc without the wheelchair, just my cane.  

I am totally frustrated.  I pouted about my progression for about a 1.5 years and then kicked myself out of it and now trying to live life again - just differently.

The biggest thing that bothers me now, is people that judge.  I guess if I can walk to the back of my vehicle and load and unload the wheelchair, I am not really disabled.  VERY frustrating.  

Keep your head up.

Linda and Halo

6 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Thanks, Roz and Linda.
I appreciate the reassurance. 

It is amazing what one bad fall will do to us!

I turn 50 in a couple of weeks.  I'm lamenting the physical limitations I have.   

9 years ago I did a half marathon, each year I was doing 5k's on a regular basis.  I got diagnosed with a slow version of ALS.  It is driving me nuts not to be able to do what I used to.

I love the ship water slides.  Thought I couldn't do them anymore.  Guess what?  I can take the elevator in my wheelchair to the level of the slide entrance.  Leave my cane and wheelchair at the top, have a friend or family member meet me at the bottom, walk me to the elevator and take that back up to my wheelchair or do the slide until I am tired of it.  Now trying to figure out how to do ziplines.  I think the one in Vegas has an elevator, so I could do that one. 

I can parasail in Tampa.  I have found a company that takes up disabled a lot.

See find ways to do what you like/love, but different ways.

Linda and Halo

In mentioning how the general public sees us......I hope I never become that judgmental.  It's difficult enough to face our limitations within our own world, we don't need the outside world to criticize us as well.  I know, just ignore them and their stares and comments and side-eyes......sometimes it's very hard to do!  I'm a pretty gutsy woman and will just keep going, no matter what obstacle gets in my way.  But, sometimes I could use just one other soul to support me and be on my side when I'm out in public on my own!

Linda, your courage and strength is contagious.  I'd love to cruise with you one day!

5 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

In mentioning how the general public sees us......I hope I never become that judgmental.  It's difficult enough to face our limitations within our own world, we don't need the outside world to criticize us as well.  I know, just ignore them and their stares and comments and side-eyes......sometimes it's very hard to do!  I'm a pretty gutsy woman and will just keep going, no matter what obstacle gets in my way.  But, sometimes I could use just one other soul to support me and be on my side when I'm out in public on my own!

Linda, your courage and strength is contagious.  I'd love to cruise with you one day!

I would LOVE to cruise with you. 

Here comes the but.  I don't like cruising from California.  I have a home in Idaho and Florida, I do my cruises out of Florida.

Linda and Halo

Any advice on a family get together, wedding reception at a private residence (groom's parent's) that Halo is not welcome?  I was told a nephew, who is too young for medication, is highly allergic to dogs.

The bride is going to try to see if he can stay in a room at a relatives two blocks away.  I am ok with that.  Halo is very mild, does get bothered if he is not with me, but will be close enough we can check in on.  I am NOT ok leaving him in the hotel, about a 20 minute drive away.

I actually considered not going.  But with my parents in their 80's and failing health and a brother who has terminal cancer, we are all surprised he has made it this long, I really want to be there with the whole family.  Rich is just going to stay with Halo if we can't find a good solution.  I didn't know if anyone had any other ideas.

It is a private residence and my understanding they can refuse.  I believe there is a child with allergies, however, I did let them know that Halo was so well behaved we could slide him under a table and the child would never know he we there.  This is outside.  I was then told, several weeks later that when anyone is around the child they have to strip any clothes and take a shower to remove all evidence of pets.  I find this hard to believe.  I was told several family members, relatives of the child, have dogs and visit him often.  I highly doubt they don't have any remnants of dog hair/dander, etc on the clothes are bodies while visiting.  Just my thoughts that story was because they were trying not to say they didn't want a dog around.  They have that right to not want him around, just tell me the truth and not make up a story.

OK, done with my rant.  Just advice.

Linda and Halo

5 hours ago, rpclmc said:

I would LOVE to cruise with you. 

Here comes the but.  I don't like cruising from California.  I have a home in Idaho and Florida, I do my cruises out of Florida.

Linda and Halo

Before my husband got sick we cruised out of San Francisco, Florida, Seattle, New Orleans and Italy.   After he got sick he refused to fly anywhere and would only take cruises that we could drive to the dock and then he refused to cruise at all.  Now I like cruising out of L.A., Long Beach or San Diego.  I don't think I'll do any flying to a dock, although cruising with Cindy and John is a great temptation for me!

5 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Any advice on a family get together, wedding reception at a private residence (groom's parent's) that Halo is not welcome?  I was told a nephew, who is too young for medication, is highly allergic to dogs.

The bride is going to try to see if he can stay in a room at a relatives two blocks away.  I am ok with that.  Halo is very mild, does get bothered if he is not with me, but will be close enough we can check in on.  I am NOT ok leaving him in the hotel, about a 20 minute drive away.

I actually considered not going.  But with my parents in their 80's and failing health and a brother who has terminal cancer, we are all surprised he has made it this long, I really want to be there with the whole family.  Rich is just going to stay with Halo if we can't find a good solution.  I didn't know if anyone had any other ideas.

It is a private residence and my understanding they can refuse.  I believe there is a child with allergies, however, I did let them know that Halo was so well behaved we could slide him under a table and the child would never know he we there.  This is outside.  I was then told, several weeks later that when anyone is around the child they have to strip any clothes and take a shower to remove all evidence of pets.  I find this hard to believe.  I was told several family members, relatives of the child, have dogs and visit him often.  I highly doubt they don't have any remnants of dog hair/dander, etc on the clothes are bodies while visiting.  Just my thoughts that story was because they were trying not to say they didn't want a dog around.  They have that right to not want him around, just tell me the truth and not make up a story.

OK, done with my rant.  Just advice.

Linda and Halo

Only because of the very special circumstances going on with your parents and brother I think you will be sorry if you don't go for at least the services or a visit with them.  I would NOT stay for the entire wedding and I would make sure that Halo was with your husband and NOT left in the hotel by himself or anywhere else alone for that matter.  

It's so ridiculous and disingenuous for someone to state that their child can't be around anyone who is in contact with a dog.......that would mean that 99% of the guests would have to be bald and naked.  Most everyone carries dander on their bodies, in their hair and on their clothes.  Wouldn't it be nice if folks would just be honest and say that they don't want you to bring your dog to the wedding......period!

Go, stay for a short time and then leave and go to your hero, who deserves to be treated with much more respect than these folks are providing.

• Like 2

BTW......A private residence may refuse entrance to your dog and it becomes between you and them as to whether they will allow him at all.  Also, church's and any other house of worship may refuse your entrance because they are private entities.  Of course, it would be complete and utter poor form for a church to treat a handicapped person in a negative way.  It could cause some very negative feelings in the community if such word got out into the community.   

I'm always very careful and mindful of Horton's presence when we go into places of worship. I stay away from the crowds and make sure that he is on his very, very best behavior.

If the reception is outside can they assign an area away from the traffic area for you to sit with Halo?  It seems strange that they will have all of those people at the wedding who have many pets at home but won’t keep them away from the child but your dog who is cleaner then most of the people is considered an outcast. I hope they are a little flexible so you can enjoy a visit with your family. 

10 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Before my husband got sick we cruised out of San Francisco, Florida, Seattle, New Orleans and Italy.   After he got sick he refused to fly anywhere and would only take cruises that we could drive to the dock and then he refused to cruise at all.  Now I like cruising out of L.A., Long Beach or San Diego.  I don't think I'll do any flying to a dock, although cruising with Cindy and John is a great temptation for me!

Cruising with Cindy and John would be out of which port?  

Linda and Halo

10 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Only because of the very special circumstances going on with your parents and brother I think you will be sorry if you don't go for at least the services or a visit with them.  I would NOT stay for the entire wedding and I would make sure that Halo was with your husband and NOT left in the hotel by himself or anywhere else alone for that matter.  

It's so ridiculous and disingenuous for someone to state that their child can't be around anyone who is in contact with a dog.......that would mean that 99% of the guests would have to be bald and naked.  Most everyone carries dander on their bodies, in their hair and on their clothes.  Wouldn't it be nice if folks would just be honest and say that they don't want you to bring your dog to the wedding......period!

Go, stay for a short time and then leave and go to your hero, who deserves to be treated with much more respect than these folks are providing.

That is exactly what I was thinking.  Go for the family photos, I would even be ok leaving him in a room close by while the pictures where being taken; should only be for 30 minutes and then skip the rest of the events.  The rest of the time, away from the events, there would be time I can be with family that this child and the owner of the residence are not around.  

That is fine they don't want dogs around, but I have problems with the way it is being presented.  I know my nieces in laws have children and relatives close by with dogs, so I really don't believe the allergy so severe no one can be around with dander on them.  I just don't think they are aware of how well behaved service dogs are and I would not even think of bringing him in the house.  It will be hot out and I carry his own personal fan and he would be in shade.

Oh well, I am going to try not to stress about it.  And if I show them respect, maybe they will open up to me have him hidden under a table, I won't push for it, but it would give me a great opportunity to be a positive representative for a well trained service dog.

There really aren't services, being that they got married in March.  Due to not knowing if her father would even make it this long.  This is the reception with the family pictures, outside reception, cake cutting.  Plus the groom is atheist and the bride is agnostic (her dad was a minister) so no traditional services.

Linda and Halo

9 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

BTW......A private residence may refuse entrance to your dog and it becomes between you and them as to whether they will allow him at all.  Also, church's and any other house of worship may refuse your entrance because they are private entities.  Of course, it would be complete and utter poor form for a church to treat a handicapped person in a negative way.  It could cause some very negative feelings in the community if such word got out into the community.   

I'm always very careful and mindful of Horton's presence when we go into places of worship. I stay away from the crowds and make sure that he is on his very, very best behavior.

We went to a church, another niece's daugther's baptism, we sat in a pew by the wall and slid him under the pew.  No one even knew he was there.  Even my brother that knew we had brought him to town asked where he was during the service.

Then we went to the yacht club for lunch and slid him under the table.  Again, he was only seen entering and leaving and we tend to come in and go out doors that aren't at the front of the room.  There was even a child there allergic to dogs that never reacted.  He didn't know Halo was there and never got close to him.

That niece knew of the allergy kid and told us who it was so we would just sit further away.  Total respect.

Linda and Halo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lindaler said:

If the reception is outside can they assign an area away from the traffic area for you to sit with Halo?  It seems strange that they will have all of those people at the wedding who have many pets at home but won’t keep them away from the child but your dog who is cleaner then most of the people is considered an outcast. I hope they are a little flexible so you can enjoy a visit with your family. 

I asked about making sure he was hidden under a table far away from the allergic kid and the games.  I was told he was so allergic he reacts to people with that have dog hair/dander on their clothes.  That kid couldn't go out in public if that was true.

I have a very good friend that had to get rid of her dog, great dane, because of severe allergies and doesn't react to Halo at all.

Being that it is a private residence they do have the right to say no to me bringing him.  I am just bothered by how it is being presented rather than just saying no.  I just think all the ESA's and "fake", untrained service dogs are causing a lot of problems.  They just don't know how a dog can be trained so well to essentially be invisible and hide under a table.  I get that, it is frustrating, but I get it.

Linda and Halo 

1 hour ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Hi all!  A little pupper picture time! 

This first one, we are worried that he can't get comfortable at our house! What's a mother to do? 

IMG_0793[1].JPG

I am giving virtual smooches.  I hope that makes him more comfortable:)

Linda and Halo

1 hour ago, rpclmc said:

Cruising with Cindy and John would be out of which port?  

Linda and Halo

NEWS:  Cindy, John and Roz are cruising together out of L.A. on November 9th...I'm so excited.  Cindy called me today with the wonderful news and I couldn't be happier.  We're going to have so much fun!  Oakland and Horty get to meet and enjoy each other while Cindy, John and I get to spend some time together onboard the Royal Princess.

7 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

NEWS:  Cindy, John and Roz are cruising together out of L.A. on November 9th...I'm so excited.  Cindy called me today with the wonderful news and I couldn't be happier.  We're going to have so much fun!  Oakland and Horty get to meet and enjoy each other while Cindy, John and I get to spend some time together onboard the Royal Princess.

Who said???  Damn did I book that cruise? I'm already nauseated thinking about the flight. 🤢