Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

On 11/5/2019 at 3:26 PM, notentirelynormal said:

I'm really new to this.  Really new.  I am trying to get my dog registered as a Service Dog but for the life of me can't figure out how to do it.  All I can find are third party websites that tell me to fill in the blanks on a generic form, pay my money, buy a vest and viola!  She's a service dog.  Am I missing something?  Even my doctors don't seem to know the procedure.

I know I need forms from the airlines.  Okay. 

I’m still waiting on Princess to tell me what I need to do with them.

We are doing a 26 day Tahiti/South Pacific cruise on the Pacific Princess.  We leave out of LA and the cruise starts in Papeete, French Polynesia.  We also stop in Rangiroa, Huahine, Raiatea, back to Tahiti and then Bora Bora, French Polynesia.

After that we go to Nuku’alofa, Tonga; Dravuni Island, Fiji; Bay of Islands and Auckland, New Zealand then end in Sydney, Australia. 

Flights home are going to be direct (hopefully) or with a stopover in New Zealand.  At worst we will stop in Hawaii.

I have no idea how to figure out the requirements for entering each port or if I will need to leave her on the ship.

I see I need the APHIS Form 7001 and her normal vaccinations will of course be up to date.  USDA Accredited.

Any wisdom will be appreciated.

I didn't see your questions answered, and sorry you felt attacked.  I've been offline for a couple of days.  I totally understand the confusion, since I appear completely healthy, although if you watch me walk, you'll soon see that I don't walk quite right (I do a good job of faking it), and the chronic migraines are a real beast.

You don't register your dog with anyone.  If your dog is trained to the standards of ADI, Assistance Dogs International, to their standards on their site, and your dog provides assistance to you based on your individual needs for your individual disabilities, you have a service dog.  Your dog needs to behave well (really well) in public.  Including ignoring other people, not barking, lunging, etc.  Of course, they can still be surprised - and at times even the best trained dog will act unexpectedly.  Mine has.

For the paperwork - some of the places you are going do not recognize service dogs that were not trained by ADI members.  While ADI does some great work, there are some limitations to their allowed members, including that they don't allow "for-profit" members.  So those of us who needed something other than what some of the ADI members had, or who wanted a dog sooner than some members would produce, or who live in an area where the only ADI members only assists certain groups - well, I hired a private trainer to train my dog.  It worked well, and I'd do it again, but it does cause issues if you want to take your dog to some places outside the US.  I believe NZ and AUS are two of those places.  Not sure about the others.  

You need an import permit for every single country you are visiting.  So, you will need to work with the USDA vet to get that.  You may be out of time if the trip is soon, since some of those places require a Rabies Titer, which takes quite a while to get.  You can see on the USDA site what the various requirements are.   It states pets, because the requirments are the same.   

If you are taking your dog to places that do not recognize SDs, or that do not recognize SDs not trained by ADI members, then you'll be restricted from entering any place not pet-dog friendly.  This may or may not be an issue to you.  You can't leave the dog on board alone, so someone would need to stay on board with the dog.  

I assume you have a vest for your dog to wear?  Does your dog wear a vest when you are out in public here in the US?  Since I hired a private trainer, I bought my own vest.  There are a number of places online you can buy them.  My trainer recommended a line of them at petjoyonline and the one we have has worked out well.  

On 11/6/2019 at 12:55 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

We are enjoying the Edge, it’s a bit quirky and the infinite veranda is okay (Henri and I both prefer a “real” balcony). I’ll do a full report when we return, but the box was in the usual spot on deck five. When we had 85mph winds on night two and part of the ceiling fell down on the outside deck, they moved the smokers indoors but not the relief box! We able to get the box moved the next morning, but it was quite scary going outside in that wind. 

Now that is just horrible.  They moved the smokers indoors?  What are they thinking??????  On Celebrity???????  Smoking inside? There isn't anywhere to put them that won't contaminate the inside air, which is part of why we sail them!  I'd have been having an absolute cow!

In Alaska in 2017, they had closed Deck 5 on Solstice going outside, but there we were going to the relief box even though the doors had a sign saying "closed for wind".  Just amazing.  Honestly, it is a major reason why I'm lothe to take Scooter on another cruise.  I love the product, but the fight we had over the box was amazing.

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Bon Voyage to Roz, John & Cindy! Take pictures.

Thank you so much.  I can't wait to have fun with Cindy, John and Oakland!. 

Have a good 2 weeks everyone.  I'll talk to you again when I return on the 23rd.  😎

On 11/8/2019 at 1:40 PM, Algebralovr said:

I didn't see your questions answered, and sorry you felt attacked.  I've been offline for a couple of days.  I totally understand the confusion, since I appear completely healthy, although if you watch me walk, you'll soon see that I don't walk quite right (I do a good job of faking it), and the chronic migraines are a real beast.

You don't register your dog with anyone.  If your dog is trained to the standards of ADI, Assistance Dogs International, to their standards on their site, and your dog provides assistance to you based on your individual needs for your individual disabilities, you have a service dog.  Your dog needs to behave well (really well) in public.  Including ignoring other people, not barking, lunging, etc.  Of course, they can still be surprised - and at times even the best trained dog will act unexpectedly.  Mine has.

For the paperwork - some of the places you are going do not recognize service dogs that were not trained by ADI members.  While ADI does some great work, there are some limitations to their allowed members, including that they don't allow "for-profit" members.  So those of us who needed something other than what some of the ADI members had, or who wanted a dog sooner than some members would produce, or who live in an area where the only ADI members only assists certain groups - well, I hired a private trainer to train my dog.  It worked well, and I'd do it again, but it does cause issues if you want to take your dog to some places outside the US.  I believe NZ and AUS are two of those places.  Not sure about the others.  

You need an import permit for every single country you are visiting.  So, you will need to work with the USDA vet to get that.  You may be out of time if the trip is soon, since some of those places require a Rabies Titer, which takes quite a while to get.  You can see on the USDA site what the various requirements are.   It states pets, because the requirments are the same.   

If you are taking your dog to places that do not recognize SDs, or that do not recognize SDs not trained by ADI members, then you'll be restricted from entering any place not pet-dog friendly.  This may or may not be an issue to you.  You can't leave the dog on board alone, so someone would need to stay on board with the dog.  

I assume you have a vest for your dog to wear?  Does your dog wear a vest when you are out in public here in the US?  Since I hired a private trainer, I bought my own vest.  There are a number of places online you can buy them.  My trainer recommended a line of them at petjoyonline and the one we have has worked out well.  

Thank you SO MUCH.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  Now I have some place to start.  My pain management doctor said he "might" know someone and will ask for my next visit.

Unfortunately, I am ending the cruise in New Zealand and final Australia.  Princess has stated that I can not take my dog to Australia.  Period. They gave me a bunch of other info but that was the one and only important information that counted for this cruise anyway.  I really appreciate you answering the question and giving me the information that you did.  I don't understand why people automatically assume the worse from people.  If I wanted to cheat I would just buy the vest and the letter etc. 

7 hours ago, notentirelynormal said:

Thank you SO MUCH.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  Now I have some place to start.  My pain management doctor said he "might" know someone and will ask for my next visit.

Unfortunately, I am ending the cruise in New Zealand and final Australia.  Princess has stated that I can not take my dog to Australia.  Period. They gave me a bunch of other info but that was the one and only important information that counted for this cruise anyway.  I really appreciate you answering the question and giving me the information that you did.  I don't understand why people automatically assume the worse from people.  If I wanted to cheat I would just buy the vest and the letter etc. 

I completely sure the reason Princess will not allow your dog is because of the New Zealand requirement:

Your pet will be quarantined upon arrival in New Zealand for at least 10 days.

That is the right of the sovereign nation, and nothing the US or Princess desires will get around it.  As a result, you can't take your SD with you.  Service Dogs, other than Guide Dogs for the Blind are incredibly rare in both NZ and AUS to my understanding.  

Your best solution is to have a close friend care for your dog while you are gone, or to board your dog at the vet or wherever you are comfortable boarding them.  Since you live in California, your best starter cruise with your dog would likely be on a cruise right there out of the port, that does the West Coast with a stop in MX (where you can get off or not), and see how it goes.  

I live in Missouri.  My dog hates flying.  He does it, and lays on the floor at my feet, but he is stressed out the entire time we are on the plane.  As a result, we are not taking my dog with us the next couple of cruises we have.  In my case, my plan is simply to lay on the beach and get sun, since from here on out we will mostly have short, grey days until Spring.  My dog will happily stay here at home while I'm on the ship.  A lot of Caribbean and MX beaches really aren't a good place for a SD, so no big deal.  I'll have my service human to assist me.

I hope everybody had a great weekend, and that Roz, Horton, Cindy & John, and Oakland, are having a wonderful cruise!

On Saturday, we had a play date for Raylene and two other Labradors at my house. A dog we met for the first time, a black Lab from Southeastern Guide Dogs, works for a really interesting woman who has had Usher Syndrome from birth, which causes both hearing loss AND vision loss. They fly a lot together for her job.

The three service doggies had had so much fun together, and we all loved that they ran the full length of backyard and tumbled around like children. It was great exercise and such a change of pace for them. Eight year-old Raylene held back some, like the gray-haired grandma watching the kids go crazy, but she let out a deep bark now and then (very rare).

The three “moms” had a great time, too, laughing at each other’s stories and sharing the not-so-funny ones.  It was interesting to hear the perspective of someone with vision loss who travels to earn a living. People really do not recognize the ramifications of their thoughtless actions, including taking pets and emotional support dogs to places where they shouldn’t be. The worst is when their animals distract and attack service dogs  - two people I know have had that happen. I can’t imagine how terrifying an attack on the dog would be for a blind person.

Anyway, I forgot to take a photo of the three dogs, so we have to do it again soon.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 2

So, to the new comers, us old timers use to share our most harrowing "doggie poop" stories for great laughs at our own expense.  It has been awhile since we have had one, but I have a doozie.  Hopefully no one is offended, it is meant to blow off steam and realize "How bad your day really is or isn't"  🙂

Rocky has also had diarhhea for about 4 days!  I did change his food.  He came to us eating Purina.  I have always been told not the greatest food to feed the animals.  I changed him to puppy Iam's.  I am sure that is the cause of his diarhhea, but then yesterday I saw blood in it. so off to emergency it was.  The vet checked him all over.  Said he is very healthy, no fever, no tender spots near intestines, acting the the wild child that he is.  Sent some meds home with him.  Said could take a couple of days to firm up.  He always gets pumpkin in his food and then with this, I started the white rice.  Hopefully it gets better, soon.  $240 just for the visit, not even sure what the total ended up being with the meds. I figured it would be cheaper on a  Sunday rather that the holiday today.

Now the drum roll.  Listen up all, we haven't had a "funny" poop story for awhile so here it goes.  We get in the car to take our 15 minute journey home and Rocky is a little hyped up, still.  No unusual.  He is just whining a little and pacing in the back seat.  I have one of those seat belt straps attached to his collar.  Well he gets unsnapped twice within about 2 blocks.  He doesn't know he is doing it, he just happens to step on the release lever.  After the the second time.  I start back down the street and I get that all familiar smell of what else?  Diarrhea!  Yep, the poor little guy had to go and couldn't hold it!!!!  I do have a seat cover down, but there is a slit in it by the seat belts so you can still us them.  Mind you my car isn't even a year old! Anyway, I told him, not his fault and it was okay.  He just stood between the seats with his head on the center console.  Fortunately he barely stepped in it, don't know how he managed to stay away from it, especially since he was seatbelted next to it.  Now today we had the 
"fun day"  "bath day" for him and Jezzy Lou.  I'm done and finally sitting down. 💩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

So, to the new comers, us old timers use to share our most harrowing "doggie poop" stories for great laughs at our own expense.  It has been awhile since we have had one, but I have a doozie.  Hopefully no one is offended, it is meant to blow off steam and realize "How bad your day really is or isn't"  🙂

Rocky has also had diarhhea for about 4 days!  I did change his food.  He came to us eating Purina.  I have always been told not the greatest food to feed the animals.  I changed him to puppy Iam's.  I am sure that is the cause of his diarhhea, but then yesterday I saw blood in it. so off to emergency it was.  The vet checked him all over.  Said he is very healthy, no fever, no tender spots near intestines, acting the the wild child that he is.  Sent some meds home with him.  Said could take a couple of days to firm up.  He always gets pumpkin in his food and then with this, I started the white rice.  Hopefully it gets better, soon.  $240 just for the visit, not even sure what the total ended up being with the meds. I figured it would be cheaper on a  Sunday rather that the holiday today.

Now the drum roll.  Listen up all, we haven't had a "funny" poop story for awhile so here it goes.  We get in the car to take our 15 minute journey home and Rocky is a little hyped up, still.  No unusual.  He is just whining a little and pacing in the back seat.  I have one of those seat belt straps attached to his collar.  Well he gets unsnapped twice within about 2 blocks.  He doesn't know he is doing it, he just happens to step on the release lever.  After the the second time.  I start back down the street and I get that all familiar smell of what else?  Diarrhea!  Yep, the poor little guy had to go and couldn't hold it!!!!  I do have a seat cover down, but there is a slit in it by the seat belts so you can still us them.  Mind you my car isn't even a year old! Anyway, I told him, not his fault and it was okay.  He just stood between the seats with his head on the center console.  Fortunately he barely stepped in it, don't know how he managed to stay away from it, especially since he was seatbelted next to it.  Now today we had the 
"fun day"  "bath day" for him and Jezzy Lou.  I'm done and finally sitting down. 💩

Sorry to hear he wasn’t feeling good. We usually give pumpkin, rice and baked no skin chicken breast till everything firms up. Bananas help too.  Usually couple days and back to normal. Whenever we had to switch foods, to avoid the diarrhea problems that brings, we always gradually add new food while subtracting old food, little at a time over couple weeks. This has helped our K9 kids tummy’s and intestines to adjust. I know it’s not always feasible to do, especially if they’re allergic to the old food etc. 

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I hope everybody had a great weekend, and that Roz, Horton, Cindy & John, and Oakland, are having a wonderful cruise!

On Saturday, we had a play date for Raylene and two other Labradors at my house. A dog we met for the first time, a black Lab from Southeastern Guide Dogs, works for a really interesting woman who has had Usher Syndrome from birth, which causes both hearing loss AND vision loss. They fly a lot together for her job.

The three service doggies had had so much fun together, and we all loved that they ran the full length of backyard and tumbled around like children. It was great exercise and such a change of pace for them. Eight year-old Raylene held back some, like the gray-haired grandma watching the kids go crazy, but she let out a deep bark now and then (very rare).

The three “moms” had a great time, too, laughing at each other’s stories and sharing the not-so-funny ones.  It was interesting to hear the perspective of someone with vision loss who travels to earn a living. People really do not recognize the ramifications of their thoughtless actions, including taking pets and emotional support dogs to places where they shouldn’t be. The worst is when their animals distract and attack service dogs  - two people I know have had that happen. I can’t imagine how terrifying an attack on the dog would be for a blind person.

Anyway, I forgot to take a photo of the three dogs, so we have to do it again soon.

Years ago we had a pet Rat Terrier and took him to a Rattie play group. He just stood and watched. He’d never seen other small dogs being brought up with two large dogs. When he finally got up the nerve to chase one of the many tennis balls we brought for every dog, a female ran over and scared him into dropping his ball and he wouldn’t play after that. He just wasn’t comfortable around other small dogs. 
MurphySD and I have had other, dogs in stores and restaurants lunge and bark at us. I always get between him and on coming dogs just in case they aren’t as polite as he is. I would totally loose it if he got hurt by anyone or another dog. When we were training together the guys training us were former military dog handlers, they told use to beware of other people trying to hurt him & not to accept food or treats from strangers. They had many experiences with dogs and how some people react negatively towards disabled people and SDs. They were proactive in educating us not only to work with our SD but to keep them safe too. It was stressed that we were a team watching out for each other always. So when we are confronted with aggressive behavior by people or other animals in public, I’m proactive about not only protecting him but educating others about proper behavior. 

Kaik9s, Yes, I should have mixed the food.  I just didn't think about it at the time.  I use pumpkin all the time.  We have a Terrier mix who has a sensitive tummy so just got in the habit of putting pumpkin in her food.  I added the rice to help firm it up, but might just continue it, also.  Hopefully it starts to firm up soon.  I am just so glad it wasn't anything bad.  He has been sleeping most of the afternoon, since the bath episode.  It was his first, in the tub.  Went better than I expected.  

S.S. Cruisers I’m glad MurphySD was exposed to regular showers during his training. It’s been so much easier for me to put him in our shower at home. I’ve tried baths in tub but they respond to showers with less anxiety. When we had Rat Terrier I’d just hold him in my arms in shower it calmed him. Of course a hand held shower head helps to rinse them throughly. Each K9 kid has their own personal quirks lol. 

3 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

So, to the new comers, us old timers use to share our most harrowing "doggie poop" stories for great laughs at our own expense.  It has been awhile since we have had one, but I have a doozie.  Hopefully no one is offended, it is meant to blow off steam and realize "How bad your day really is or isn't"  🙂...

Diarrhea!  Yep, the poor little guy had to go and couldn't hold it!!!!  ...Now today we had the "fun day"  "bath day" for him and Jezzy Lou.  I'm done and finally sitting down. 💩

Aw, poor little Rocky. And poor mom! Sure hope the meds fix him up fast. Vet-supplied probiotic chews help my dog when she has runny poop episodes.  I had to laugh at the poop emoji!

Raylene threw up every day for a month not too long after she joined me. (Easier to clean up, though!  I got off lucky.) It turned out to be a sensitivity to the Canidae brand chicken dry dog food that Dogs for the Deaf had fed her. And I had been giving her a bland diet of rice, pumpkin, and - you guessed it - plain boiled chicken. The vet suggested a $$$$ Royal  Canin hydrolyzed protein which cured her literally instantly.

1 hour ago, Kaik9s said:

S.S. Cruisers I’m glad MurphySD was exposed to regular showers during his training. It’s been so much easier for me to put him in our shower at home. I’ve tried baths in tub but they respond to showers with less anxiety. When we had Rat Terrier I’d just hold him in my arms in shower it calmed him. Of course a hand held shower head helps to rinse them throughly. Each K9 kid has their own personal quirks lol. 

I never leave home without a bottle of PB8 Probiotic!  It works great on the kids, the hubby, AND the dogs!  My service dog, Mavis, is prone to stinky burps and toots.  It's embarrassing when she's in a closed area with me and her tummy is upset.  I will sprinkle about 1/2 a capsule onto her food every morning and evening (1 capsule/day) when we travel as it seems to really help her.  I've used the stuff on sick kittens, dogs, baby goats, calves, children, and everything in between and I swear by it!  :)

40 minutes ago, Mavis and Me said:

I never leave home without a bottle of PB8 Probiotic!  It works great on the kids, the hubby, AND the dogs!  My service dog, Mavis, is prone to stinky burps and toots.  It's embarrassing when she's in a closed area with me and her tummy is upset.  I will sprinkle about 1/2 a capsule onto her food every morning and evening (1 capsule/day) when we travel as it seems to really help her.  I've used the stuff on sick kittens, dogs, baby goats, calves, children, and everything in between and I swear by it! 🙂

I’m thinking of getting some for our cruise next May. Sounds like a good addition to the travel first aid kit! Thanks for the information. I also bought the Service Dog Travel book that was mentioned in earlier posts. It’s got a lot of useful information in it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

I've been lucky.  Scooter vomited a small bit of bile when out a couple of years ago, but hasn't had any further issues in public since. 

Last winter he had some virus that caused vomiting and diarrhea.  Poor pup.  It didn't help that I was laid up and unable to walk or get in and out of the house after surgery.  It was rough.  

Regarding the Purina,  They make a lot of different lines of food.  Each is nutritionally complete, but may be of higher or lower quality depending on which line.  There is the Dog Chow, which you find at Walmart, grocery store, etc, which has the most filler.   It has the calories, and protein, but much of the protein is veg based or from lower quality sources.  Next if Purina One, which again is at Walmart, Target, supermarket, but is a little better.  Then the various Pro Plan varieties, and finally the Vet diet.  According to my vet, Iams vs Purina is a matter of preference.  I grew up in St. Louis, and the people who design the animal feed of various types do put science behind the food.  

I've been there with the seat belt coming out.  We finally got a different type that clips into the car seat bar rather than the seat belt.  It works much better.

On November 5, 2019 at 3:35 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

You NEVER, NEVER, NEVER purchase anything online for a legitimate Service Dog.  The trainers or org. that you receive your dog from will supply you with the appropriate gear that your dog will need for travel.  You may NEVER leave your dog in your cabin without a caretaker.  I find that my Vet is a wonderful source for the requirements needed in traveling with my dog.  Some ports require only the Aphis 7001 form and some require more complicated documentation, blood work and Vet checks.  

Although it seems complicated, if you're dog is fully trained and ready for travel your Vet, your trainer, training Org., and forums like this one will help you get to wherever it is you want to go.  

Roz, while I understand what you are saying, this is not entirely true.  Handlers with program dogs can access much of the equipment they need from their program.  However, owner-trained teams often rely on the Internet for sourcing much of their gear.  Just because I had to buy my vest/patches online, doesn't make my SD illegitimate or fake.  She is task trained to assist me with my disabilities and public access certified through a 3rd party evaluator.  I know how we all feel about fake teams making trouble for real teams because of inappropriate behavior, but to say a statement so emphatically ("You NEVER, NEVER, NEVER purchase anything online for a legitimate Service Dog") is hurtful for those of us who either couldn't afford a program dog, weren't willing to wait for one, or the program's training didn't cover the disabilities that the handler has.  It undermines our feeling of being a valid team, which is difficult enough already.  Despite the fact that there is no certifying agency in the USA for service dogs, when program teams whip out their badges/IDs/etc from their program and use them to access places that don't know any better, it makes it near impossible for owner-trained teams to gain the same access.  I've been asked quite a few times over the years for 'proof' that my dog is a service dog, when there is no such thing as service dog certification or registration.  A couple of times it has unfortunately resulted in me calling the police to start a discrimination report, when all I wanted to do was simply go shopping or sit down and enjoy a meal at a restaurant!  :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

1 hour ago, Mavis and Me said:

I never leave home without a bottle of PB8 Probiotic!  It works great on the kids, the hubby, AND the dogs!  My service dog, Mavis, is prone to stinky burps and toots.  It's embarrassing when she's in a closed area with me and her tummy is upset.  I will sprinkle about 1/2 a capsule onto her food every morning and evening (1 capsule/day) when we travel as it seems to really help her.  I've used the stuff on sick kittens, dogs, baby goats, calves, children, and everything in between and I swear by it! 🙂

6 minutes ago, Mavis and Me said:

Roz, while I understand what you are saying, this is not entirely true.  Handlers with program dogs can access much of the equipment they need from their program.  However, owner-trained teams often rely on the Internet for sourcing much of their gear.  Just because I had to buy my vest/patches online, doesn't make my SD illegitimate or fake.  She is task trained to assist me with my disabilities and public access certified through a 3rd party evaluator.  I know how we all feel about fake teams making trouble for real teams because of inappropriate behavior, but to say a statement so emphatically ("You NEVER, NEVER, NEVER purchase anything online for a legitimate Service Dog") is hurtful for those of us who either couldn't afford a program dog, weren't willing to wait for one, or the program's training didn't cover the disabilities that the handler has.  It undermines our feeling of being a valid team, which is difficult enough already.  Despite the fact that there is no certifying agency in the USA for service dogs, when program teams whip out their badges/IDs/etc from their program and use them to access places that don't know any better, it makes it near impossible for owner-trained teams to gain the same access.  I've been asked quite a few times over the years for 'proof' that my dog is a service dog, when there is no such thing as service dog certification or registration.  A couple of times it has unfortunately resulted in me calling the police to start a discrimination report, when all I wanted to do was simply go shopping or sit down and enjoy a meal at a restaurant! 🙂

I agree. Although I got my SD through a training organization they didn’t have much SD equipment available. I researched company’s making sure they weren’t selling IDs or advertising “take your pet anywhere with this......” the company’s I got equipment from ALL made sure to define what Real SDs are and informed pet owners of the ADA laws and problems Real teams face due to fakes. The gear doesn’t make MurphySD my SD his training does. FYI some of us cannot afford or get SD through the more we’ll known SD programs, the wait times are also problematic, some of them are booked up 6 months to two years wait list, or they only train for military, first responders or children, deaf, blind, autistic or other mobility illness. Finding a company that trains PTSD SD for civilians is difficult, I was lucky to find a company run by former military dog handler who trained PTSD SD for us civilians too. They helped me with accepting my illness, not feeling guilty about having it when I’d thought only military got it (the first Psycologist I was sent to shamed me and threw it in my face that “military people have it worse trying to cope” when I wasn’t responding to her therapy) and not being embarrassed when dealing with triggers and letting MurphySD help me on this journey. Unfortunately they’re no longer in business..   So yes sometimes online is the only option for some, we just have to try to find reputable companies. 

Knowing Roz for years, I think I know what her thought process was as she typed that message.  I am sure she meant no disrespect or disregard to the fact that others do have to get their equipment on-line.  I can just she her wheels turning and burning at the thought of people that abuse the system.  Not any of you, the blatant ones that think they are above everyone else.   I am pretty sure a close friend of ours (However they are living 200 miles from us, right now) has gotten materials to masquerade her dog as a Service Dog.  I have seen a couple of pictures on Facebook that she has posted of them in a restaurant with her little dog.  I just can't prove it.  (The dog did not have a vest on or anything to indicate that it was a service dog)  I just have that feeling knowing this person.  It riles me if that is what she is doing.  Another time, (We live in Lake Havasu, a big time resort town)  we were out on the lake and a couple had 3 beautiful labs.  We struck up a conversation with them and they bold faced told us that they have fake ID's and vests for their dogs so that they can travel with them! 😮 This was 23 years ago and I was naive and didn't say anything.  I still think about that (obviously) to this day.  Wrong on so many levels. 

21 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

I am such a heel.  I take 2 steps forward and about 4 backwards.  Missed telling Roz, Horty, Cindy, John and Oakland Bon Voyage.  Hope they are have a great time, (I know they are!) Wish I was with them.  

We are having a great time. Roz is a trip! Lol  The ship is just beautiful. Oakland and Horty are getting to know each other. The first 2 days, Horty didn't bother with Oak to much. But last night they tried to play at the elevators and at dinner. 😯. Maybe we can find an empty room today. The box situation is not good. There are suppose to be 5 service dogs on board but we've only seen one in a stroller. On our deck they have 2 big boxes in a crew area. Unfortunately its a mile away from our cabin and not accessible for John. The door is so heavy that I can barely open it. To me that is ridiculous and unacceptable . I am not the owner of the dog and shouldn't be the one to take him to potty every time. Besides all the cleaning carts are in the way and John can't get down the hallway. 

Oakey peed in the box the first time he went. We were thrilled. But pooping is a different story. He went a day and a half before going. I finally got him to go in it yesterday. I danced around and made a huge deal about it. When we got off yesterday he went again. Hopefully I can get him to go again today. The box is filled with some kind of "bark" its huge!! Not the stuff you put in your yard, more like they scraped chunks off a tree. I'm posting a pic of the boxes. 

IMG_20191109_200005.jpg

28 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Oakey peed in the box the first time he went. We were thrilled. But pooping is a different story. He went a day and a half before going. I finally got him to go in it yesterday. I danced around and made a huge deal about it. When we got off yesterday he went again. Hopefully I can get him to go again today. The box is filled with some kind of "bark" its huge!! Not the stuff you put in your yard, more like they scraped chunks off a tree. I'm posting a pic of the boxes. 

Wow, looks like a team of lumberjacks labored long to create that box filler!

So glad to hear that young Mr. O has conducted business in it, despite the weird consistency.

Re the location - it continues to amaze me that cruise lines figure they've done their righteous "access" thing by providing the box - but somehow it doesn't compute to anyone on staff that no one in a wheelchair can reach it with their dog. Most of these ships were built in recent years. What's wrong with this picture?

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 1

The only cruise MurphySD and I have been on, we were approached by several other cruisers asking if the two small dogs on the cruise were fakes as they had observed them barking furiously and lunging at him, trying to get out of the arm or lap of their people, every time they saw us. MurphySD didn’t respond to the barking other than keeping his eye on them for potential problems as he’s trained to do, especially since we’ve had the same experiences with large dogs in stores, and my PTSD gets triggered. I responded that it was NOT my job to police the ship, if they had problems with their behavior they were welcome to report them to ship crew. I did however educate them on the many ways small SD help with disabilities since many were under the mistaken impression that only large dogs could be SDs. I did feel that the two dogs, who were traveling with a couple, needed more training since we were barked at anytime we were in their line of sight, even though we were not close to them. In fact they were actually triggering me with the sudden barking from across rooms! After few times of this we (the three other adults we were with) would keep eyes out for them and we’d leave before the other dogs saw us. Thankfully it was a short cruise. The worst was people making RUDE comments about dogs on cruise ships as they passed by us! After this happening on frequent basis, my friend responded that I COULD HEAR them! They’d assumed wrongly that I was deaf or they just didn’t care. I have invisible illnesses including the PTSD, it’s not apparent to the public why I need an SD, so it’s assumed I’m faking just to bring my dog! MurphySD  was in his SD vest and on excellent behavior so there was no reason for the rudeness! This was couple years ago, now I’m better experienced with handling these situations. Back then I heavily relied on my traveling friends to run interference since I’d been mostly home bound the previous few years. I’ve read that NCL puts a notice in the daily letter to notify people of SD on ship. Hopefully when we go to Alaska with NCL it will be a more polite group of travelers. On the same cruise We were stalked by a teenager who was angry I wouldn’t allow her pet my SD! She’d actually come up to us and angrily say “I’m know I can’t pet him” then turn abruptly and stomp away! It happened a few times but she’d only approach when we were alone as my friends had told her to stop being rude and stay away. if it happened today she’d get turned in to ship security to have a talk with her parents about keeping her under control and away from us! Of course with the passing of years I’ve learned to better cope with these type of issues and no longer tolerate them. Hopefully sharing some of my experiences will help newer people be better prepared for their traveling. 

• Like 1