Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

One week away from picking up my daughter and her boyfriend in FLL for my girl's cruise.  It is on Carnival Magic.  Rich is staying with Halo, since I have my service person with me.  My daughter is extremely helpful, she works in home health care and works with a lot of clients that have mobility issues like mine or worse.

Not much else happening hear.  Just having fun lurking and watching all your conversations.

Linda and Halo

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

I'm enjoying watching all the getting ready!  

Roz - hopefully the fires are a long way away from you!

We brought in a child's wading pool for the basement today, and will put puppy pads there for the days when the weather is just too nasty to go out, or in case Scooter catches a bug like he did last year.    He is so good at going outside, but last winter there was a streak when he had to get up in the middle of the night and have a poo.  For some reason, I didn't wake up.  He went to the basement from my room, and did his business next to the drain.  The basement is unfinished, so that was easy to clean up when we discovered it.  Well, I figure the wading pool and a puppy pad in the basement should be a good solution in case he needs to go again in the middle of the night and I don't move.  Particularly with the line of storms heading my direction!

The pool is a great idea. I take it Scooter does not like the bad weather? Wexler used to jump over puddles when we first got him. As he got older he didn't mind the rain. He always loved the snow. 

3 hours ago, rpclmc said:

One week away from picking up my daughter and her boyfriend in FLL for my girl's cruise.  It is on Carnival Magic.  Rich is staying with Halo, since I have my service person with me.  My daughter is extremely helpful, she works in home health care and works with a lot of clients that have mobility issues like mine or worse.

Not much else happening hear.  Just having fun lurking and watching all your conversations.

Linda and Halo

How fun! Are you sailing the Caribbean? I guess it will be a vacation for Halo too. Have a great cruise! 

3 hours ago, rangeley said:

The pool is a great idea. I take it Scooter does not like the bad weather? Wexler used to jump over puddles when we first got him. As he got older he didn't mind the rain. He always loved the snow. 

Scooter doesn’t normally mind the rain, however if it is coming down in sheets like lately, he has been known to start out, realize and come right back in.  Just a sprinkle?  That is fun for him.

One issue we have is tornado warnings, plus in winter we get a lot of ice.  It will ice up my porch, and then I don’t leave.  Last think I need is another fall.  Since the yard has no fence, and no good way to put one in to fully enclose the yard due to the driveway placement, we have to always go out on a leash.  

So for the occasional need, the small pool in the basement works.

We have a terrifying issue here too. Usually we have a few deer in our yard eating our apples. Recently a very large buck has joined the mild does and fawns. He is aggressive and as I let Chavela out in her dog fence he will charge and huff and puff. I drug the box she uses into the laundry room and she used that for a night. I called fish and game and they said it is rutting season and it is dangerous. Today I put table clothes over the fence thinking if he cant see Chavela he won't get as upset. Today he is here early, same spot about 15 feet from our back door. This is getting scary. They say if I haven't found a solution by Monday they will come and try some ways to move him on. 

IMG_E2059.JPG

IMG_E2064.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lindaler said:

He looks cute until he stands up and starts towards you. 

17 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Linda and Halo

Linda, Bon~Voyage.  Have lot of restful fun!  And a foo-foo drink for me!  🍸

10 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Scooter doesn’t normally mind the rain, however if it is coming down in sheets like lately, he has been known to start out, realize and come right back in.  Just a sprinkle?  That is fun for him.

One issue we have is tornado warnings, plus in winter we get a lot of ice.  It will ice up my porch, and then I don’t leave.  Last think I need is another fall.  Since the yard has no fence, and no good way to put one in to fully enclose the yard due to the driveway placement, we have to always go out on a leash.  

So for the occasional need, the small pool in the basement works.

Barb, stay safe and dry.  We could use some of your wet weather!

On 10/25/2019 at 8:38 PM, Algebralovr said:

... I figure the wading pool and a puppy pad in the basement should be a good solution in case he needs to go again in the middle of the night and I don't move.  Particularly with the line of storms heading my direction!

Great idea... this year as hurricane season approached, we bought a plastic wading pool to stow in the garage, where we always have an extra bag of mulch. So we can set up a garage relief station for Raylene if we decide to hunker down.

While living in the Virgin Islands, I went through category 4 Lenny, the second-strongest November Atlantic hurricane ever recorded - alone in a little apartment except for my (pet) dog Misty. It was a long night, and during the slight calm when the eye passed over, I opened the door to let the dog out, and she took off running!  I got flashlight and managed to find her standing by my car in an upper level parking area - I think she reasoned that we could drive off and leave this storm behind. Anyway, I’ll never let a dog go out during a storm again!

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Definitely looks like he could be trouble!! We don’t mess with gators, either, around these parts. Like this one that showed up by our front door the day we returned from our last cruise in April...

F86CCD69-4A19-460A-9590-76887666A802.jpeg

Ugh I could never live where gators live!! 

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

We just received a flight change for our flight home for the cruise in January from 11:39 to 2:30. Really a 3 hour change. Not happy 😡

Is there an alternate you prefer?  

We got got an email about our December flight last week.  They changed our non-stop FLL to STL to one with a stop in Texas, and went from 2.5 hours to over 5.  I looked online and saw that there was a non-stop that left two hours earlier that we could make, or a non-stop that was new and an hour later.  We were moved at no additional cost.   This was on Southwest, but you never know if you call and are polite.

1 hour ago, Algebralovr said:

Is there an alternate you prefer?  

We got got an email about our December flight last week.  They changed our non-stop FLL to STL to one with a stop in Texas, and went from 2.5 hours to over 5.  I looked online and saw that there was a non-stop that left two hours earlier that we could make, or a non-stop that was new and an hour later.  We were moved at no additional cost.   This was on Southwest, but you never know if you call and are polite.

Wow thats ridiculous! From a non stop to a stop. I'd go ballistic. Lol 

I checked and there are no other flights to change to. 

On 10/27/2019 at 4:27 PM, rangeley said:

Wow thats ridiculous! From a non stop to a stop. I'd go ballistic. Lol 

I checked and there are no other flights to change to. 

Cindy, my fingers and toes are crossed that your flights to and from your cruise will be easy for all of you!  

On 10/27/2019 at 9:31 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

Our county sheriff’s office sent a car and the deputy called Florida Fish & Wildlife. Eventually one of their contract trappers arrived, nabbed it, and hauled it off to be released in an undeveloped area further north of here!

Hey now, keep it in your area:)  I am north of you and a lot of people think this is undeveloped.  It is more remote.

Linda and Halo

On 10/26/2019 at 4:38 PM, rangeley said:

How fun! Are you sailing the Caribbean? I guess it will be a vacation for Halo too. Have a great cruise! 

Yep, Caribbean.  Carnival Magic, Half Moon Cay, Amber Cove and Grand Turk.

Halo has so much fun when his dad is around.  It is totally about playing and exploring.  I don't get him out in the big part of the yard.  He loves going out there with Rich and exploring.

Linda and Halo

27 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

Yep, Caribbean.  Carnival Magic, Half Moon Cay, Amber Cove and Grand Turk.

Halo has so much fun when his dad is around.  It is totally about playing and exploring.  I don't get him out in the big part of the yard.  He loves going out there with Rich and exploring.

Linda and Halo

Half moon cay, my fav place. Thats our big shore excursion for our cruise. We always get the handicapped cabana. It's really the only way John can enjoy going there. We booked in February for a January 2020 cruise. For some reason they had the cabanas already posted so I called up and some nice lady let me purchase it at a much lower price. Not complaining about that. 

I wish we had a nice yard. We have a high school across the street with a park and basketball courts. John takes Oakland down there.