Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

2 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

We are traveling now so I don’t have my documents in front of me, but we did not need a titer last year (although I do have her titer test). The wording uses “or” - I interrupted that to mean that you could use a titer test in lieu of a rabies certificate, not that you had to have a titer done. 

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

You’re right! That’s a logical interpretation. 

How’s life on the Edge?

Thanks. Didn't want to give someone the wrong info. 

2 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

We are enjoying the Edge, it’s a bit quirky and the infinite veranda is okay (Henri and I both prefer a “real” balcony). I’ll do a full report when we return, but the box was in the usual spot on deck five. When we had 85mph winds on night two and part of the ceiling fell down on the outside deck, they moved the smokers indoors but not the relief box! We able to get the box moved the next morning, but it was quite scary going outside in that wind. 

Omg even 85 mph winds wont move that box!!! Amazing they think thats a good spot. 

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Well, guess what, I got a phone call from Princess Access Dept.  They claim that they have NOT received any information from me or my TA in reference to Horton boarding on Saturday.  My TA suggested that I FAX all my paperwork directly to them and he will be in contact with them directly.  The agent on the phone told my TA that I may have a problem boarding with Horton.........Really!  I don't have a fax machine and I'm not running around today to go find one.  I will be out and about tomorrow and I will fax all my paperwork to them then.  Seriously, as my TA told the Princess agent, Horton has been on more cruises than 90% of the folks he works with.  We just did a Princess cruise to Hawaii, this past December.

I emailed the Access Dept. and told them that nothing had changed since our last cruise and I better not have a problem boarding with Horton or there will be a very angry Roz to deal with!

Because of the new Medallion Class that has more glitches than I care to mention, my feeling is that registration to board the ship is going to be a nightmare, anyway!

My concern, as usual, is the placement of the pottybox.  I will be bringing all Horton's gear to lay on the veranda to relieve himself until the box is in place.........Oh!  When will this cruising with a Service Dog become simple!

You better get your **** together missy!!! Our stuff is faxed and Oakland all set to go.

Our medallions are in the suitcase and I'm pretty close to being packed.

As I was packing Oaklands things, he was pulling everything out of the suitcase. 😕

John said we better not be waving to you on the dock. ☹️

13 minutes ago, rangeley said:

You better get your **** together missy!!! Our stuff is faxed and Oakland all set to go.

Our medallions are in the suitcase and I'm pretty close to being packed.

As I was packing Oaklands things, he was pulling everything out of the suitcase. 😕

John said we better not be waving to you on the dock. ☹️

I just got a call from my TA and an email from Princess......"Horton is approved to travel on the "Ruby" Princess!"  Yes, you read that right......Princess has approved Horton to travel on the "Ruby".....So, what about the "Royal?"  I told you, they're a little overwhelmed.  They also have the wrong dates.  It's going to be interesting to see how this registration goes.  They're not going to make me crazy with jumping through unnecessary hoops.  This is my cruise and I'm going to enjoy it, in spite of their demands, kooky requests, wrong ships and incorrect sailing dates!  

I'm not a bit worried.  I'll see you at the dock....there's only room for one ship at Pier 92 on Saturday and it's the "Royal Princess."  I don't know where the Ruby is going but if there's time, I'll be on that one too!!!!!  

We're going on a cruise, we're going on a cruise!!!!  Whoop-dee-doo!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I just got a call from my TA and an email from Princess......"Horton is approved to travel on the "Ruby" Princess!"  Yes, you read that right......Princess has approved Horton to travel on the "Ruby".....So, what about the "Royal?"  I told you, they're a little overwhelmed.  They also have the wrong dates.  It's going to be interesting to see how this registration goes.  They're not going to make me crazy with jumping through unnecessary hoops.  This is my cruise and I'm going to enjoy it, in spite of their demands, kooky requests, wrong ships and incorrect sailing dates!  

I'm not a bit worried.  I'll see you at the dock....there's only room for one ship at Pier 92 on Saturday and it's the "Royal Princess."  I don't know where the Ruby is going but if there's time, I'll be on that one too!!!!!  

We're going on a cruise, we're going on a cruise!!!!  Whoop-dee-doo!!!!!!

The Ruby is in Australia leaving Friday for Fiji. Hope Horton has a good time. 

Edited by rangeley

2 minutes ago, rangeley said:

The Ruby is in Australia leaving Friday for Fiji. Hope Horton has a good time. 

Holy cow, Princess has me going to Australia, the California Coast and Mexico.......Talk about a world traveler.......I dare any of you to keep up with Horty and me!!!!  I can't even keep up!!!!!  🤔

6 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Holy cow, Princess has me going to Australia, the California Coast and Mexico.......Talk about a world traveler.......I dare any of you to keep up with Horty and me!!!!  I can't even keep up!!!!!  🤔

Omg  lol   

MurphySD and I went with Hubby and our friends on Carnival Imagination couple years ago. It was our first cruise together. He loved it, acted like he’d been cruising his whole life!  We are booked for our first trip to Alaska on NCL next year. It’s been on my Bucket List and Hubby is taking us! Has anyone recently been on NCL with their SD? It’s been several years since we’ve been on NCL and that was before I needed an SD.  I’m trying to find information on the potty box situation and any other information on Service Dogs on their ships. I filled out the forms from the Access Dept but their reply’s to emails and phone calls are not only unhelpful, as in I’ve been told to ask the access person at the dock, which is too late as far as I’m concerned!  The same  man That didn’t know the answers to my emails was the same man that answered the phone and behaved as if I was bothering him! I’m NOT impressed with NCL Access treatment of customers with disabilities, at the very least the person they employ should be pleasant and have some knowledge about SD on the ship not just request information from us but provide the information we need. Hopefully the ship crew is nicer and more welcoming. We’ve booked an excursion direct from the direct from the company in Juneau, they have been so kind in their reply’s to MurphySD being with us. Thanks for any information. 

6 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Well, guess what, I got a phone call from Princess Access Dept.  They claim that they have NOT received any information from me or my TA in reference to Horton boarding on Saturday.  My TA suggested that I FAX all my paperwork directly to them and he will be in contact with them directly.  The agent on the phone told my TA that I may have a problem boarding with Horton.........Really!  

Oh, Roz!!! Like travel isn’t stressful enough already!?

I may have told you that when we checked in to sail Celebrity Edge in January, they said they had no record of my bringing a dog. (Needless to say, I had copies of confirmation emails from their accessibility dept.) After the agent left us standing at the counter and went up to the ship with Raylene’s papers, he finally returned and said the officer he spoke to had reviewed the situation and “decided to allow the dog to board.” I guess for a while there, he considered leaving us on the pier to watch the ship sail away into the sunset.

3 hours ago, Kaik9s said:

MurphySD and I went with Hubby and our friends on Carnival Imagination couple years ago. It was our first cruise together. He loved it, acted like he’d been cruising his whole life!  We are booked for our first trip to Alaska on NCL next year. It’s been on my Bucket List and Hubby is taking us! Has anyone recently been on NCL with their SD? It’s been several years since we’ve been on NCL and that was before I needed an SD.  I’m trying to find information on the potty box situation and any other information on Service Dogs on their ships. I filled out the forms from the Access Dept but their reply’s to emails and phone calls are not only unhelpful, as in I’ve been told to ask the access person at the dock, which is too late as far as I’m concerned!  The same  man That didn’t know the answers to my emails was the same man that answered the phone and behaved as if I was bothering him! I’m NOT impressed with NCL Access treatment of customers with disabilities, at the very least the person they employ should be pleasant and have some knowledge about SD on the ship not just request information from us but provide the information we need. Hopefully the ship crew is nicer and more welcoming. We’ve booked an excursion direct from the direct from the company in Juneau, they have been so kind in their reply’s to MurphySD being with us. Thanks for any information. 

NCL had the best potty box.  It was 5x5 set-up in a crew working closet, down the hall from our cabin.  It had the best mulch for filler andwas made of real wood.  I felt we were treated really well on NCL.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Oh, Roz!!! Like travel isn’t stressful enough already!?

I may have told you that when we checked in to sail Celebrity Edge in January, they said they had no record of my bringing a dog. (Needless to say, I had copies of confirmation emails from their accessibility dept.) After the agent left us standing at the counter and went up to the ship with Raylene’s papers, he finally returned and said the officer he spoke to had reviewed the situation and “decided to allow the dog to board.” I guess for a while there, he considered leaving us on the pier to watch the ship sail away into the sunset.

You must have felt your blood boiling!  

• Like 1

Finally, I feel like I'm on track again.  I have a hair appt. tomorrow, Horton has a groomer appt. on Friday and I'm pretty much done with most of my packing, except for my clothes.  I'm starting to put stuff in the car.....it's so warm here in L.A. I don't want to put Horton's kibble and treats in the car yet....it's too warm.  Where I live it's 10 degrees warmer than the dock area.

Cindy and John, I know you're getting ready for your long flight and stay in a hotel on Friday.  Don't dress too warmly, we're having a heat wave.  It will be cooler down by the dock but still on the warm side.  At least you won't have to worry about getting around in the rain.  We rarely get that stuff here!  

Have a safe trip, happy travels! 

See you at the dock....... ✈️  🛥️

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I think short and simple is best. Here is my application form, I will arrive in the Bahamas on X date on X cruise ship,  my dog is a service dog so I respectfully request a fee waiver, and please fax my permit to this number: xxx.

Thank you! I used your template - we'll see what happens.  Has anyone ever had the fax number do NOTHING when you called it?  I finally found a fax place in town that has legal size paper, and when they tried to fax it through nothing happened.  We're hoping that it was because the Bahamas turns their fax machine off at night....  They are going to try again in the morning.  Hopefully it works!  Found out today that my vet friend is backing out of helping me.  She didn't realize how involved it would be and she's got too much going on in her life.  Bummer.  Now, on top of everything else, I have to find a new vet!!  Urgh! 

3 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

Thank you! I used your template - we'll see what happens.  Has anyone ever had the fax number do NOTHING when you called it?  I finally found a fax place in town that has legal size paper, and when they tried to fax it through nothing happened.  We're hoping that it was because the Bahamas turns their fax machine off at night....  They are going to try again in the morning.  Hopefully it works!  Found out today that my vet friend is backing out of helping me.  She didn't realize how involved it would be and she's got too much going on in her life.  Bummer.  Now, on top of everything else, I have to find a new vet!!  Urgh! 

Try emailing Dr. Delaney-Milford 8n the Bahamas if the fax doesn’t go through today. The Bahamas had so much devastation from the hurricane that things may still be disrupted. But people have had issues faxing in the past, too.

For a new vet, you could try to find one that is USDA-accredited near you, which could make future international travels easier. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/find-a-vet

22 hours ago, kymmyk13 said:

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!

This may be something you already have done, but just in case..., be sure to notify the cruise line that your daughter will be accompanied by her service dog on the Alaska cruise. Some companies have an online form you fill out to request accessibility arrangements (such as the dog’s relief box).They will send another form for you to either send back or bring to the pier for check-in.

We always ask the access department (and through the travel agent) for a dining room table by a wall or in a corner if possible. It keeps the dog’s tail and legs safe to be out of traffic. 

Alaska cruises are extra enjoyable! ADA laws apply to shore excursions, restaurants, etc. It’s a good idea to let the cruiseline access department know which excursions you have booked so they can notify the tour operator of your special needs.

10 hours ago, Kaik9s said:

We have done 4 NCL  in the past few years. Their access dept is horrible. They try to put the box in a crew area where the door is so heavy I  can barely open it. My hubby in a wheelchair could not open it at all. We ended up fighting to have it on our balcony every time. They do not want it there and said its a law but the hotel manager said that wasn't true and we finally got it put out there. The box was good all but one cruise. They literally gave is a small tupperware container, like the size for a sheet cake. Hopefully you will have better luck. 

6 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Finally, I feel like I'm on track again.  I have a hair appt. tomorrow, Horton has a groomer appt. on Friday and I'm pretty much done with most of my packing, except for my clothes.  I'm starting to put stuff in the car.....it's so warm here in L.A. I don't want to put Horton's kibble and treats in the car yet....it's too warm.  Where I live it's 10 degrees warmer than the dock area.

Cindy and John, I know you're getting ready for your long flight and stay in a hotel on Friday.  Don't dress too warmly, we're having a heat wave.  It will be cooler down by the dock but still on the warm side.  At least you won't have to worry about getting around in the rain.  We rarely get that stuff here!  

Have a safe trip, happy travels! 

See you at the dock....... ✈️  🛥️

You're on track? Princess has you going to Fiji! 

Heat wave? Oh I'm thrilled. 😕  

I have a pedi and a load of laundry to do and thats it. I might have to weed out some clothing, I don't want to exceed the 50lb limit and have to move clothes around at the airport. 

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

We have done 4 NCL  in the past few years. Their access dept is horrible. They try to put the box in a crew area where the door is so heavy I  can barely open it. My hubby in a wheelchair could not open it at all. We ended up fighting to have it on our balcony every time. They do not want it there and said its a law but the hotel manager said that wasn't true and we finally got it put out there. The box was good all but one cruise. They literally gave is a small tupperware container, like the size for a sheet cake. Hopefully you will have better luck. 

Thanks for your reply and information! At 110lbs that Tupperware container wouldn’t work for us! (he could demonstrate that for them but someone would have a huge mess to clean lol) We booked the family balcony for little extra space just in case, but my concern is when it rains in Alaska the absorption materials in potty box would be unusable for MurphySD? I could bring plastic sheeting/tarp to cover when not in use? I’ve been told by access desk no one knows what absorbing material is used in potty boxes, it could be anything from newspapers to sand or anything else. Carnival had 4x4 metal box filled with absorbing pellets like farms or ranches use for animals in barns, located on pool deck outside a door behind a bar, where you could walk the whole ship but it was fairly quiet since it was away from the action and other frequently used areas. It was his first time using one and took few hours to convince him there was no where else to potty, once he tried it he was comfortable using it! (Smart but stubborn sometimes lol. )   It worked great the 3 days of the short cruise but wouldn’t last on much longer cruises without being cleaned and refilled. I immediately cleared poop out but urine  wasnt getting absorbed as well after 3 days use, which could be a problem on long cruises.  Plus the crew closet won’t work for me as enclosed places trigger my PTSD and even with MurphySD I couldn’t go inside! This is part of my concern, that I’m not being listened to and on 11 day cruise I NEED to know my SD HAS a comfortable place to do his business! I’m going to call the NCL customer service and try to get better service than the access dept has given. We’re having to drive from Nevada to Seattle Washington to go on this cruise because I can’t fly, due to PTSD triggers, so far the hotels we’re staying in have been nice when informed about MurphySD. 

12 minutes ago, Kaik9s said:

Thanks for your reply and information! At 110lbs that Tupperware container wouldn’t work for us! (he could demonstrate that for them but someone would have a huge mess to clean lol) We booked the family balcony for little extra space just in case, but my concern is when it rains in Alaska the absorption materials in potty box would be unusable for MurphySD? I could bring plastic sheeting/tarp to cover when not in use? I’ve been told by access desk no one knows what absorbing material is used in potty boxes, it could be anything from newspapers to sand or anything else. Carnival had 4x4 metal box filled with absorbing pellets like farms or ranches use for animals in barns, located on pool deck outside a door behind a bar, where you could walk the whole ship but it was fairly quiet since it was away from the action and other frequently used areas. It was his first time using one and took few hours to convince him there was no where else to potty, once he tried it he was comfortable using it! (Smart but stubborn sometimes lol. )   It worked great the 3 days of the short cruise but wouldn’t last on much longer cruises without being cleaned and refilled. I immediately cleared poop out but urine  wasnt getting absorbed as well after 3 days use, which could be a problem on long cruises.  Plus the crew closet won’t work for me as enclosed places trigger my PTSD and even with MurphySD I couldn’t go inside! This is part of my concern, that I’m not being listened to and on 11 day cruise I NEED to know my SD HAS a comfortable place to do his business! I’m going to call the NCL customer service and try to get better service than the access dept has given. We’re having to drive from Nevada to Seattle Washington to go on this cruise because I can’t fly, due to PTSD triggers, so far the hotels we’re staying in have been nice when informed about MurphySD. 

Our first cruise on NCL we had an inside cabin so really had no choice about where the box was. After that we had balconies and each time we had the box on our balcony. Believe me, it was a fight to get it there but eventually they gave in. If they had put it in an accessible place we probably wouldn't have complained. But my husband couldn't take the dog to potty because of the heavy door. Try calling access and get the hotel managers email. They used some kind of bedding for the box one time. Which was fine. We always requested grass because our other sd prefered it. 

• Thanks 1

Just spoke with different person at NCL Access Dept. She said that the potty boxes are different sizes up to 48x48 inches with wood chips. I’m going to bring some absorption pellets or artificial turf just in case my SD doesn’t like the wood chips. She also told me there is no one from access dept meeting us at dock like I’d been told by other access dept employee,( I KNEW I was being given false information in prior emails and phone call! ) He was telling me to wait till I got to ship for answers! Plus this very helpful Access dept woman said none of the prior information I’d submitted had been recorded in our file, nothing about SD or his tasks!  Needless to say I’ll be contacting NCL couple months prior to sailing to make sure they have received ALL our information and again few weeks prior! With technology today THIS type of disregard for customer service should not be happening! Thank goodness I’m proactive in getting to the bottom of things when planning trips. 

That sheet cake-size Tupperware container is cracking me up!

Once we boarded a ship and the box was about that size. All I could do was laugh. They did change it fast.

Another time on Holland America for a Panama Canal cruise we had a nice big box of sod (with the dog’s name on it even), and nearby was a little metal sheet pan also with grass sod. It turned out to belong to the magician’s pomeranian. 

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

That sheet cake-size Tupperware container is cracking me up!

Once we boarded a ship and the box was about that size. All I could do was laugh. They did change it fast.

Another time on Holland America for a Panama Canal cruise we had a nice big box of sod (with the dog’s name on it even), and nearby was a little metal sheet pan also with grass sod. It turned out to belong to the magician’s pomeranian. 

Chris, it was literally a plastic tupperware. For a 70lb dog. Oak laid in the grass we had on Ncl so we're going with whatever they have on Princess. 

Holland America always has a nice box. Once they put velvet ropes around it and had a laminated sign that said service dog relief area. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Try emailing Dr. Delaney-Milford 8n the Bahamas if the fax doesn’t go through today. The Bahamas had so much devastation from the hurricane that things may still be disrupted. But people have had issues faxing in the past, too.

For a new vet, you could try to find one that is USDA-accredited near you, which could make future international travels easier. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/find-a-vet

I did send an email to the Bahamas a couple of days ago with no response.  The fax went through this morning, but for some reason, my rabies cert didn't go through with it.  I got a call from someone in the Bahamas this morning telling me that.  So, I went to town and had the print store resend the whole thing again.  Same thing happened - the fax didn't pick up - so I assume that the folks in the Bahamas turn it off when they leave for the day.  Hopefully it will go out tomorrow morning without any hiccups!!  Do you know if I have to have an accredited vet do my international health certificate for the Bahamas, the VI, or Puerto Rico?  Will I need to have it endorsed too?  And I only need 1 health certificate for all three destinations, right?

Anyone travel with their service dogs to the Virgin Islands and/or Puerto Rico?  What do I need in order to cruise there from Florida?  I've been so focused on the Import Permit for the Bahamas, that I'm not sure I've got my ducks in a row for the VI and PR!  My service dog is up to date on her rabies, but it was a 3-year vaccine given in 2017.  Is that good enough, or do I have to get her a booster shot?  Everywhere I turn I'm reading conflicting things - one will say "up to date on rabies" and another will say "within the last 6 months".  I assume my 7001 health certificate will be adequate?  Does it need to be endorsed?  Is that all I'll need:  The health certificate, proof of current rabies vaccine, and???  I love to cruise, but now that I have a service dog this ordeal of hunting down information that doesn't match and isn't very clear ... I don't think I'll be able to go through this again!  My husband wants to do another European cruise, but I can't imagine trying to organize all of this with the dog.  

The USDA service centers are the best source of information if you are not able to work with a knowledgeable USDA-accredited vet this time. As they state on their website, they will not endorse paperwork when it is not required. Have your vet give them a call.

We can only tell you our past experiences, and no one can ever assure you that requirements will stay the same. As answered previously, my Bahamas paperwork stated that I needed a licensed vet to inspect the dog 48 hours before departure and sign a form they faxed with the permit. It did not state “USDA accredited vet.”  It had no place for endorsement on it. I did not have it endorsed, and had no problem.

If I were on that itinerary, I would bring five things to the pier checkin - one vet-issued Form 7001, the Bahamas permit, the Bahamas 48-hour form signed by my vet, the dog’s current rabies certificate, and the cruise line’s form which they sent me to sign. I always give them a copy of the ID card from my service dog training organization.

For the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, I have had no problem in either place with a three-year rabies certificate and the same vet-issued Form 7001. I have not had it endorsed.

Edited by Caribbean Chris