Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

13 hours ago, rangeley said:

I'd like to know about everyones experiences with your dogs on long flights. This will be the longest one we have taken with any of our dogs. 

I have not flown with Horton but Brenda flew to Wash. D.C., Zurich, Paris and back to L.A.  She was offered ice cubes between L.A. and D.C. and only between flights was offered water, fed and pottied before we headed for Europe.  She did best when we didn't fuss with her and allowed her to sleep.  We had bulkhead seating and she rolled-up into a pill bug and slept most of the time, only to get up, stretch, walk in a circle and go back to sleep every few hours.

Brenda did well if she was walked before we flew.  Long, tiring walks.  Horton MUST poop every time he pees.  I don't think he'd fly very well.  He's also got legs that are a mile long and does not like to roll up, he prefers stretching out when he sleeps.  He'll roll up if he has to though.

Happy weekend everyone.  Horton and I are preparing for our B/B cruise onboard the Royal Princess, leaving on Sat., Nov. 9th.  I finally get to meet "rangeley", who I've been communicating with since 2006 on these boards.  Cindy, John and Oakland will be meeting Horton and me at the San Pedro dock.  I'm looking forward to spending a week together filled with laughter and certainly some tears.  The second week my granddaughter will be joining me.  Part of the fun is certainly the anticipation of it all.

See you soon Cindy and family. 🥂

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 12:31 AM, wizard-of-roz said:

Happy weekend everyone.  Horton and I are preparing for our B/B cruise onboard the Royal Princess, leaving on Sat., Nov. 9th.  I finally get to meet "rangeley", who I've been communicating with since 2006 on these boards.  Cindy, John and Oakland will be meeting Horton and me at the San Pedro dock.  I'm looking forward to spending a week together filled with laughter and certainly some tears.  The second week my granddaughter will be joining me.  Part of the fun is certainly the anticipation of it all.

See you soon Cindy and family. 🥂

I've decided not to come. 🤪

• Haha 2

I will be taking my first cruise with my Standard Poodle, service dog, Jazz, on Island Princess in March '20. He has flown many times, traveled on trains, buses and subways and is a very good traveler. But there may be some issues.

He has been trained NOT to use artificial turf grass as a toilet. There is too much of it around and I don't want any incidents on areas which are not meant for dogs. The airports use it and he (rightly) refuses to go. I must make sure he relieves himself before we get into the airport. He has held it as many as 12 hours until we could get to a place outside where he has been trained it is OK to go. Princess has been slow to contact me to answer questions regarding what medium they use in the boxes on this ship, except to say it is "mulch or similar". There will be no problem if it is mulch.

I have also been unable to  obtain the requirements for entering the 5 SA countries we are stopping at: Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Mexico. I have attempted to contact the Consulates, but have had little success in obtaining information about taking a service dog into the various countries.

Mexico told me they correspond by email only, but they responded to my email by sending me instructions on importing exotic animals and birds to zoos. They replied to my response that I was just visiting with a service dog, not importing exotic animals by saying I should contact the cruise line for the information "Ask to your cruise ship company". I have responded to this message, but have not heard back.

Panama and Costa Rica both said they will email me the information. Costa Rica has, Panama has not. There is no current number for Colombia in Beverly Hills. I found an email address for them in Colombia and have not as yet heard back.

I am sure you have discussed and answered all of my concerns, but 880 pages is more than I can manage right now (!) and wonder if you can give me advice on the issues I have delineated above. Thank you so much.

On 11/1/2019 at 9:16 PM, rangeley said:

Unfortunately once we stopped the mix and just had regular food things didn't go so good. Within a day or two he had unformed mushy poops not really diarrhea. So he is back on the rx food for now and for the cruise. I will ask her for some pills to take with us Monday when we go for the health certificate just in case. 

My vet prescribed some probiotic chews that Raylene likes, and they have been very helpful for treating and preventing diarrhea and soft stools. I got an extra bag to take on our cruise next week.

8 hours ago, Wendsong said:

I will be taking my first cruise with my Standard Poodle, service dog, Jazz, on Island Princess in March '20. He has flown many times, traveled on trains, buses and subways and is a very good traveler. But there may be some issues.

He has been trained NOT to use artificial turf grass as a toilet. There is too much of it around and I don't want any incidents on areas which are not meant for dogs. The airports use it and he (rightly) refuses to go. I must make sure he relieves himself before we get into the airport. He has held it as many as 12 hours until we could get to a place outside where he has been trained it is OK to go. Princess has been slow to contact me to answer questions regarding what medium they use in the boxes on this ship, except to say it is "mulch or similar". There will be no problem if it is mulch.

I have also been unable to  obtain the requirements for entering the 5 SA countries we are stopping at: Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Mexico. I have attempted to contact the Consulates, but have had little success in obtaining information about taking a service dog into the various countries.

Mexico told me they correspond by email only, but they responded to my email by sending me instructions on importing exotic animals and birds to zoos. They replied to my response that I was just visiting with a service dog, not importing exotic animals by saying I should contact the cruise line for the information "Ask to your cruise ship company". I have responded to this message, but have not heard back.

Panama and Costa Rica both said they will email me the information. Costa Rica has, Panama has not. There is no current number for Colombia in Beverly Hills. I found an email address for them in Colombia and have not as yet heard back.

I am sure you have discussed and answered all of my concerns, but 880 pages is more than I can manage right now (!) and wonder if you can give me advice on the issues I have delineated above. Thank you so much.

In the US, animal export documentation is managed by the US Dept. of Agriculture - the division is “APHIS”.  Service dogs are treated essentially the same as pet dogs. Google “APHIS pet travel” for the website. Lots of information - take time to surf the site and read everything.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel

See the drop-down country menu? Find your ports and forms. That will give you an idea of the requirements immediately. Basics are a current rabies certificate and a microchip. For some countries, all you will need is an APHIS Form 7001 Health Certificate after your dog has been examined.

Some countries require vaccinations like leptospirosis, which the vet can do. You’ll need the scientific names of the flea & tick and heartworm treatments that the vet will enter in the form 7001 (just tell them the brand names).  For Mexico, I have my vet use the simple “Option B,” language copied onto the vet’s letterhead and signed. 

Next, call your vet and ask if s/he is “USDA accredited.” If not, ask for a recommendation of one in your area (or find that info by calling your nearest APHIS office, listed on the website.) An “accredited” vet needs to examine your dog and issue the forms that need to be endorsed (countersigned and stamped) at a regional APHIS office. (Some forms do not, but endorsement is becoming more common.) You can make an appt. to go to the regional Office if feasible, or send the forms to APHIS by overnight service and include a return overnight envelope. Ask the vet or APHIS office which overnight service is preferred (I  think UPS works best.)

All of this needs to be done fairly close to sailing date (some countries have a time limit of days before arrival). The good news is that you are planning ahead now. You can establish a relationship with a vet, give them your exact itinerary now, and tell them you will need their help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure where you are located ((I’m in the US), and am cruising on Friday and hitting 2 of your ports (Colombia and Mexico).  I can tell you what we did for those ports (and no, I never heard from their Dept of Ag after calling and emailing either).  I should have Colombia’s International Health Certificate today - we saw our vet on Friday, and she electronically submitted the request.  The USDA office in Gainesville, FL should receive it this morning, and sign off on it within a couple of hours.  Once it’s signed, they will upload it to the VEHCS system and my vet prints out the certificate for me, and I’ll pick it up.  I KNOW this is the electronic process for Colombia, as I was in her office when she was on the phone with the Gainesville office to make sure she was doing it correctly.  

For Mexico, we are using Option B, which is the template.  It’s on the APHIS website, and your vet just needs to copy/paste it onto office letterhead and fill it out and sign it per the EXACT directions (no changing of any words, NO abbreviations etc....).  My vet had trouble formatting this, as she has Mac computers, and it would not format on them.  She had to use a Microsoft based computer to do it.  

Additionally, she provided me with a general APHIS 7001, which I can also access electronically, even through she gave me an original copy - she said the airlines and cruise ship may require it since we sail out and back into US ports, as well domestic airline travel.  

I would be happy to upload a copy of the signed forms for those countries once I get the Colombia one, if that would be helpful for you.  

We have only cruised the Caribbean up to this point, and I can tell you that this has been the most stressful vacation planning I have ever experienced, and I don’t think I’ll actually relax one little bit til we are safely on the ship.  I’m hoping it gets a little easier after the first complicated cruise...lol. 

I have found that the special services departments on the cruise lines, as well as the governmental offices of other countries are not really helpful, and pass the buck and say ‘ask the cruise line’ or ‘ask the governmental office of that country.’  I have done ALL the legwork myself, using internet research, as well as the knowledgeable people in this group.  

I’m also happy to update everyone on how the electronic Colombia form goes once we actually enter the country.  We return from out cruise on 11/25, so I’ll be sure to post that update.  

Good Luck and hang in there!  Our countdown started at 539 days, and it’s finally almost here!  

Denise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you SO much, Denise, for the great recap on how the electronic system works. So far, none of my ports have used that system, so I haven’t gone through the drill with my vet yet. I also use the Gainesville office - let us know how it goes.

I have to send them printed copies for Aruba & Curaçao this week for endorsement. We sail next week. Lots of us are off cruising!  Sometimes they get nit-picky in Gainesville, but my vet’s office is helpful. It’s so expensive to send stuff overnight with a return overnight envelope - the electronic system would save time and money if all the countries would allow it.

I agree that it is always a good idea to have the vet provide a Form 7001 in addition to the country-specific stuff.

I’ve had good luck with the Mexico option B, too, for several cruises. About half the time (but not always) on the Caribbean side of Mexico, officials who come on board to clear the ship will examine the dog’s paperwork and have a look at the fur/skin, ears, eyes, paws. 

Bon Voyage!

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, rangeley said:

I've decided not to come. 🤪

Bad girl! Got a good morning chuckle with my coffee. 

I looked for the bag of the pro biotic chews my vet gave me, slightly cheaper on Amazon: VetriScience Laboratories Pro Line, Veterinarian formula GI Balance Pro, 60 chews in a bag. Three chews once daily for 60+ lb dogs. Raylene loves them, and they fixed her up.

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

My vet prescribed some probiotic chews that Raylene likes, and they have been very helpful for treating and preventing diarrhea and soft stools. I got an extra bag to take on our cruise next week.

32 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Bad girl! Got a good morning chuckle with my coffee. 

I looked for the bag of the pro biotic chews my vet gave me, slightly cheaper on Amazon: VetriScience Laboratories Pro Line, Veterinarian formula GI Balance Pro, 60 chews in a bag. Three chews once daily for 60+ lb dogs. Raylene loves them, and they fixed her up.

I am definitely going to ask her about them. He is doing good on the rx food right now. When we get back from our trip, we will need to discuss what we are going to do. Maybe these chews will work good with his food. Thanks for the info!! 

Back from the vet. What a cluster you know what that was. They are usually very efficient but not today. They did the 7001 form but didn't do the Mexico form. Luckily I remembered it. Then the receptionist argued that the 7001 form was what we wanted. Finally she gave in and did the other. Ugh. 

18 hours ago, Wendsong said:

Princess uses either wood shavings, wood chips or mulch.  You can ask the Special Needs Dept. of whatever cruise ship you'll be taking to please provide NO ARTIFICIAL TURF.  Actually, I've never seen artificial turf used by any ship.  Personally, I like the stuff and train my dogs to use it and even bring some of my own to cover whatever the ship is using.

I have been to all the countries that you've mentioned with an Aphis 7001 [signed by his Vet], copy of Horton's Immunization record, copy of MicroChip App., copies of pertinent test results [Rabies Titer, Spay/Neuter, Vet Check-referring to fur/skin/teeth, healthy to travel comment by Vet.], copy of Certification by Canine Companions [with a picture of Horton and me on it.]  I make sure to have a copy of all paperwork to hand to the folks at Registration, Purser's Desk and to Immigration officials at Port.  You will be asked to bring your dog to a lounge, to meet with Immigration, very early in the morning upon entrance to the first foreign port, so they can look over your paperwork, before they let anyone disembark the ship.  I had more complicated paperwork getting into Hawaii and traveling to Europe. 

I HAVE NEVER BEEN DENIED ENTRANCE INTO ANY PORT WITH THE PAPERWORK I'VE PRESENTED.  I'm extremely organized, have all the paperwork stapled and neat, to hand to them.  The officials will want to examine your dog [they will check his fur/skin/teeth/paws and overall condition.]  They're also looking at yours and the dogs behavior. 

Stay calm and make sure your dog is acting appropriately.

Hi Everyone!

I'm new, and come to you from beautiful WA state!  I've picked over this thread for the last year in hopes of cruising with my service dog, Mavis.  I finally found the courage to take our first cruise together as a team next month - - and I'm totally freaking out!  We'll be on Allure of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale, and our ports will be San Juan Puerto Rico, Charlotte Amalie St Thomas, and CoCo Cay Bahamas.  I chose this itinerary because I hoped it would be easiest paperwork-wise for traveling with my girl.  Can anyone who has been to these places before help me out with what I'll need?  Here's what I've found so far:

She'll need to be up to date on her vaccines (she's at month 31 in her 3 year rabies vaccine and current on all the others), she'll need a microchip (done - AKC's ReUnite), she'll need a health certificate from my vet (accredited isn't necessary, I think), and I'll need an import permit for the Bahamas (I've printed off some cruddy looking forms from the internet).  

Sounds easy enough, but I'm not feeling very secure about ANY of it!  I've talked with my vet and I plan to make an appointment for the health cert and import paperwork for the 18th of this month (20 days before we board the ship).  Should I apply for the Bahamas import permit now?  The lady at the Access Department of my cruise line said I'd need an import permit for St Thomas too, but I can't find anything about that online.  I haven't found anything that implies that I'll need the APHIS-7001 form.  I did get my Service Animal Acknowledgment Form taken care of already.  How many copies of all of this should I take?  I'm just not sure that this is going to be a relaxing vacation - - right now it's SO stressful!!! :classic_blink:

On 11/3/2019 at 10:23 PM, Wendsong said:

Had no problem getting the Colombia endorsement through VEHCS.  Submitted late Friday night, endorsed by Monday at 2 PM.  Vet goes into the system, downloads the pdf and prints it for you.  I’ve attached a copy of ours.  

Hope this will help someone out in the future!  We are at the airport now, waiting for our flight to Cali.  We’ll be on the Disney Wonder in 3 days!!  

4F2E1746-0B49-4B8C-B27E-E6418AA43920.jpeg

618E5158-B370-42D3-894D-0B3941369516.jpeg

AD71C4E1-7118-4857-A42A-1F38C0DEE6DC.jpeg

4 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

Hi Everyone!

I'm new, and come to you from beautiful WA state!  I've picked over this thread for the last year in hopes of cruising with my service dog, Mavis.  I finally found the courage to take our first cruise together as a team next month - - and I'm totally freaking out!  We'll be on Allure of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale, and our ports will be San Juan Puerto Rico, Charlotte Amalie St Thomas, and CoCo Cay Bahamas.  I chose this itinerary because I hoped it would be easiest paperwork-wise for traveling with my girl.  Can anyone who has been to these places before help me out with what I'll need?  Here's what I've found so far:

She'll need to be up to date on her vaccines (she's at month 31 in her 3 year rabies vaccine and current on all the others), she'll need a microchip (done - AKC's ReUnite), she'll need a health certificate from my vet (accredited isn't necessary, I think), and I'll need an import permit for the Bahamas (I've printed off some cruddy looking forms from the internet).  

Sounds easy enough, but I'm not feeling very secure about ANY of it!  I've talked with my vet and I plan to make an appointment for the health cert and import paperwork for the 18th of this month (20 days before we board the ship).  Should I apply for the Bahamas import permit now?  The lady at the Access Department of my cruise line said I'd need an import permit for St Thomas too, but I can't find anything about that online.  I haven't found anything that implies that I'll need the APHIS-7001 form.  I did get my Service Animal Acknowledgment Form taken care of already.  How many copies of all of this should I take?  I'm just not sure that this is going to be a relaxing vacation - - right now it's SO stressful!!! :classic_blink:

Welcome! Cruising with your service dog is awesome. After the first cruise you will be much more relaxed. You do not need a special permit for St Thomas. Just for the Bahamas permit. If you have a fax available, thats the way to go, especially since you only have a month to go. Snail mail will never make it. It's usually required to get the aphis 7001 form within 10 days of sailing. We leave Saturday and we got our 7001 form yesterday. Good luck! 

Cindy

My daughter will be getting her service dog in the spring of 2020 and we cruise June 2020. We leave from Alaska and return to Canada, where we will travel to Seattle. I have been researching and I can not find any form that the vet will need to do for Canada.   Any help would be appreciated.

6 hours ago, allies_daphne said:

Had no problem getting the Colombia endorsement through VEHCS.  Submitted late Friday night, endorsed by Monday at 2 PM.  Vet goes into the system, downloads the pdf and prints it for you.  I’ve attached a copy of ours.  

Hope this will help someone out in the future!  We are at the airport now, waiting for our flight to Cali.  We’ll be on the Disney Wonder in 3 days!!  

4F2E1746-0B49-4B8C-B27E-E6418AA43920.jpeg

618E5158-B370-42D3-894D-0B3941369516.jpeg

AD71C4E1-7118-4857-A42A-1F38C0DEE6DC.jpeg

Bon~Voyage!  Have a wonderful cruise.  Come back and tell us all about it!

10 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

Hi Everyone!

I totally understand the feeling.  Be prepared for lots of questions from your fellow passengers and from the crew.  They're missing their pets and just want a "fur-fix!"  If you can allow for some patting time, when your dog is not working that would be great.

Make sure that you have at least 3 copies of all your paperwork and can hand a completed copy to the folks at registration, at your immigration meeting [one morning of the cruise, usually at the first foreign port, you'll be asked to bring your dog for an inspection before anyone is allowed to disembark.]  Keep the original copy in your safe with your passport and an extra copy to take with you when you go into various ports.

Stay calm, make sure your dog is in a "sit" or "down/stay" position when meeting with authorities.  Enjoy your cruise.

I'm really new to this.  Really new.  I am trying to get my dog registered as a Service Dog but for the life of me can't figure out how to do it.  All I can find are third party websites that tell me to fill in the blanks on a generic form, pay my money, buy a vest and viola!  She's a service dog.  Am I missing something?  Even my doctors don't seem to know the procedure.

I know I need forms from the airlines.  Okay. 

I’m still waiting on Princess to tell me what I need to do with them.

We are doing a 26 day Tahiti/South Pacific cruise on the Pacific Princess.  We leave out of LA and the cruise starts in Papeete, French Polynesia.  We also stop in Rangiroa, Huahine, Raiatea, back to Tahiti and then Bora Bora, French Polynesia.

After that we go to Nuku’alofa, Tonga; Dravuni Island, Fiji; Bay of Islands and Auckland, New Zealand then end in Sydney, Australia. 

Flights home are going to be direct (hopefully) or with a stopover in New Zealand.  At worst we will stop in Hawaii.

I have no idea how to figure out the requirements for entering each port or if I will need to leave her on the ship.

I see I need the APHIS Form 7001 and her normal vaccinations will of course be up to date.  USDA Accredited.

Any wisdom will be appreciated.

First, is your dog actually a service animal necessary for a disability? If so, then we can help you. But if your dog is a pet, we cannot help you. We do not approve of trying to pass off pets as service animals. That hurts us.

Other questions: Where was your dog trained? A training organization? A private trainer? What tasks does it do for you? 

I am not trying to pass my pet off as a service dog.  As I said in my post I am trying desperately to get information.  I do suffer from a very painful disease that makes my life, to put it simply, very difficult at times.  Without giving you my life history or sharing too much for the rest of the world to hear understand that I am asking for help in doing this right. 

If I wanted to cheat the system I wouldn’t have asked for help on a website that I clearly have been known on for many years.  So, please be as respectful to me as I am trying to be in asking for sincere help.  I just figured you guys would know if anyone would because I am running into a brick wall in getting any information even from my rheumatologist or my pain management doctor.  They stare at me blankly and go “I don’t know”.  So, how to go about doing it legally and properly.  Or should I just pay $149 and get the whole kit including harness and jacket.

For those of you that know and respect Pam_in_California she will vouch for my disease.  Not fun and I don’t wish it on anyone.  She has a loved one that also suffers from it and she really understands.  Because it is a rare disease there is not much done for it or for specific pain medications and no cure.  I will gladly give up the thought of a service dog to be able to walk to the corner without crying because of the pain.  Or standing up while you chat with the checkout clerk.  Or wearing nice shoes with my evening gown.  Well, wearing shoes at all really.  Or the pain caused when the wind blows against my leg.  Good enough for you?

One of the diseases/conditions that qualifies for a service dog is fibromyalgia which is why I am asking.  What I have is a little more rare but along the same lines.  It is called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) or Regional Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) or RSDS. 

A small overview:  RSD may be confused with complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS). The most recent definition of these conditions indicates that RSD and CRPS refers to the same condition.  The main difference is that RSD and CRPS involve primary damage to soft tissue.  Treatment for RSD may include a number of therapies including:

• Physical therapy to promote mobility and decrease pain and tension

• Surgical procedures to cut and seal affected nerves

• Nerve-block treatments, which involve anesthetic injections into affected nerves

I also have an implant that sends electric impulses down my leg and up my back to manage the pain.  I have to charge my butt every day.

So, doing research brought me to: Can a service dog help with chronic pain?  And the response is: A service dog is often used by people suffering from fibromyalgia. ... For all the common symptoms of fibromyalgia, service dogs can help make life that little bit easier. Symptoms from fatigue and muscle pain to depression, having a service dog will really improve your life.

1 hour ago, notentirelynormal said:

I'm really new to this.  Really new.  I am trying to get my dog registered as a Service Dog but for the life of me can't figure out how to do it.  All I can find are third party websites that tell me to fill in the blanks on a generic form, pay my money, buy a vest and viola!  She's a service dog.  Am I missing something?  Even my doctors don't seem to know the procedure.

I know I need forms from the airlines.  Okay. 

I’m still waiting on Princess to tell me what I need to do with them.

We are doing a 26 day Tahiti/South Pacific cruise on the Pacific Princess.  We leave out of LA and the cruise starts in Papeete, French Polynesia.  We also stop in Rangiroa, Huahine, Raiatea, back to Tahiti and then Bora Bora, French Polynesia.

After that we go to Nuku’alofa, Tonga; Dravuni Island, Fiji; Bay of Islands and Auckland, New Zealand then end in Sydney, Australia. 

Flights home are going to be direct (hopefully) or with a stopover in New Zealand.  At worst we will stop in Hawaii.

I have no idea how to figure out the requirements for entering each port or if I will need to leave her on the ship.

I see I need the APHIS Form 7001 and her normal vaccinations will of course be up to date.  USDA Accredited.

Any wisdom will be appreciated.

You NEVER, NEVER, NEVER purchase anything online for a legitimate Service Dog.  The trainers or org. that you receive your dog from will supply you with the appropriate gear that your dog will need for travel.  You may NEVER leave your dog in your cabin without a caretaker.  I find that my Vet is a wonderful source for the requirements needed in traveling with my dog.  Some ports require only the Aphis 7001 form and some require more complicated documentation, blood work and Vet checks.  

Although it seems complicated, if you're dog is fully trained and ready for travel your Vet, your trainer, training Org., and forums like this one will help you get to wherever it is you want to go.  

16 minutes ago, notentirelynormal said:

I am not trying to pass my pet off as a service dog.  As I said in my post I am trying desperately to get information.  I do suffer from a very painful disease that makes my life, to put it simply, very difficult at times.  Without giving you my life history or sharing too much for the rest of the world to hear understand that I am asking for help in doing this right. 

If I wanted to cheat the system I wouldn’t have asked for help on a website that I clearly have been known on for many years.  So, please be as respectful to me as I am trying to be in asking for sincere help.  I just figured you guys would know if anyone would because I am running into a brick wall in getting any information even from my rheumatologist or my pain management doctor.  They stare at me blankly and go “I don’t know”.  So, how to go about doing it legally and properly.  Or should I just pay $149 and get the whole kit including harness and jacket.

For those of you that know and respect Pam_in_California she will vouch for my disease.  Not fun and I don’t wish it on anyone.  She has a loved one that also suffers from it and she really understands.  Because it is a rare disease there is not much done for it or for specific pain medications and no cure.  I will gladly give up the thought of a service dog to be able to walk to the corner without crying because of the pain.  Or standing up while you chat with the checkout clerk.  Or wearing nice shoes with my evening gown.  Well, wearing shoes at all really.  Or the pain caused when the wind blows against my leg.  Good enough for you?

One of the diseases/conditions that qualifies for a service dog is fibromyalgia which is why I am asking.  What I have is a little more rare but along the same lines.  It is called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) or Regional Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) or RSDS. 

A small overview:  RSD may be confused with complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS). The most recent definition of these conditions indicates that RSD and CRPS refers to the same condition.  The main difference is that RSD and CRPS involve primary damage to soft tissue.  Treatment for RSD may include a number of therapies including:

• Physical therapy to promote mobility and decrease pain and tension

• Surgical procedures to cut and seal affected nerves

• Nerve-block treatments, which involve anesthetic injections into affected nerves

I also have an implant that sends electric impulses down my leg and up my back to manage the pain.  I have to charge my butt every day.

So, doing research brought me to: Can a service dog help with chronic pain?  And the response is: A service dog is often used by people suffering from fibromyalgia. ... For all the common symptoms of fibromyalgia, service dogs can help make life that little bit easier. Symptoms from fatigue and muscle pain to depression, having a service dog will really improve your life.

I'm sorry that you're having such frustrating pain.  I know for a fact that a Service Dog can make ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD!  They're so much work and they're so demanding, they're as much work as having a 2 year old child at your feet for many years, and they're true, true miracle workers.  I wish you lots of fun and wonderful adventures with your dog.  

Please make sure that you get the right "stuff" that is necessary for your dog and you; there are harness's for stabilizing you, there are collars, leashes, vests.....with the right training all of these make your life easier and protect your dog.  Your trainer will lead you in the right direction.  

Your Vet must attest to your dog being a Service Dog and being in good condition to travel.  He will immunize your dog and should be able to find out what is necessary to enter each port.  Please note that Hawaii requires as much as Europe for you to enter their ports, and the tests and port fees are very expensive!