Sailaway??

nylucyfan

Ok, this may sound dumb but here goes. What is sailaway actually like? For some reason I keep envisioning scenes from "The Love Boat" with streamers and confetti. I'm sure this is not the case, but I'd love to hear what it's actually like. LOL TIA! ;)

A lot like the Love Boat Idea, only no confetti - Litter.

The band is playing on deck, people are along the rail, at the bars and around the pool - usually with drinks in hand.

Cruise Critic Members usually try to have a get together at one of the bars.

Basically a big party starting before and continuing after the Muster Drill and going until dinner time.

When people refer to a sailaway it is literally when the ship sails away from a port. What takes places varies by ship and specific port. Many times passenger's will gather out on the open deck and music will be played (live or recorded), and the passengers will enjoy the views as they leave the port of call on their way to the open sea.

Keith

At some of the sailaway parties, they will also have special drinks for sail -- HAL has been stuck on the Mojitos for the last couple of years.

(I can remember when we did throw streamers over the shio as we left on a cruise.)

I actually remember the streamers as well. It was on my first cruise when I was only 13. And back then relatives and friends could come onto the ship a few hours before sailing to wish everyone a bon voyage and enjoy some snacks and beverages. How times have changed?

Keith

Right. I thought sailaway was a special time on my first cruise. Streamers, people actually on shore waving, etc. Now, if you see a few dock workers, that's about it.:D

Also remember boarding the ships a few times when seeing friends off. We were allowed to have beverages and even lunch from buffet, and also wander around the ship. Ahhhh, great times.

Unfortunately, some still have the Love Boat in mind, and think the "pretty drinks" on waiters' trays are FREE! Muster drill is taking place during sailaway on some ships. So much for festivity!;)

However - even after all my cruises, I still feel excited when the ship actually pulls away from the dock.

I enjoy a nice quiet sailaway on my private balcony with my wife and a bottle of champagne. The sailaway on deck is fun but there is something about being alone with the sea and someone you love (and a bottle of bubbly) that is so magical.

Actually, sailaway in Ft Lauderdale was pretty cool. The waterway is lined with tall buildings with balconies (I don't know if they're apartments or hotels), and the residents come out and wave, blow air horns, etc. So do the people on the beach!

Those are condos across from the port. People are out on their balcony waving and blowing airhorns. Lots of fun. Also, last time we cruised there were 8 ships pulling out and we were #7. It was pretty cool to see the ships on the horizon as we all went our separate ways.:)

Unfortunately, some still have the Love Boat in mind, and think the "pretty drinks" on waiters' trays are FREE!

My favorite onboard past time for our sailaway--watching the newbies when the waiter with the trays coming around asking if they would like a drink....lol forgetting to tell them that each one will cost over 7 bucks each until they take a sip. (priceless)

Actually, sailaway in Ft Lauderdale was pretty cool. The waterway is lined with tall buildings with balconies (I don't know if they're apartments or hotels), and the residents come out and wave, blow air horns, etc. So do the people on the beach!

Yes, in fact my first cruise was out of Port Everglades, and we were the first of five ships sailing away, so I got kind of spoiled into thinking there would be more people when we sailed out of NY... we were the only ship there and on th docks had just a French Navy ship with a few sailors waving at us :)

• 2 weeks later...

I too have not decided on what to do at Sailaway.......It would be kind of fun to join everybody else on deck, but since this is probably the only cruise my DH and I will ever go on and it is for our 25th Anniversary I thought about doing the champagne thing on our balcony:confused:

I have a little time yet as we don't sail until Aug.

My favorite onboard past time for our sailaway--watching the newbies when the waiter with the trays coming around asking if they would like a drink....lol forgetting to tell them that each one will cost over 7 bucks each until they take a sip. (priceless)

On my second cruise i went solo and at sailaway time i was by the pool like almost everyone was, and a waiter came around offering drinks. I told him yes, and he asked me if i wanted alcohol in it( the drink was red, kind of like a slushie or something, can't remember the name) Again, I told him yes. He then poured the alcohol over the virgin drink, I signed the ticket and he walked away. As the alcohol was still floating on top of the slushie part, i started stirring the drink to mix it all up. As i did that, I spilled the alcohol over the top of the glass and all over my clothes!:D :eek: I smelled like alcohol and we had barely pulled away from the dock in Galveston, lol!!

On our Conquest cruise a few weeks ago, we were docked at Montego Bay, and there was a "band" there, playing songs and marching and dancing. There was a young boy and girl with sacks, going up to the people getting back on the ship and wanting donations. Eventually, everyone was back on the ship, and the band finished up and waved goodbye to us. Some people a few balconies over from me actually put some money into a empty water bottle and tossed it down to those kids! The little girl pushed the boy out of the way to get that bottle!!

To the OP, sailaway is SO much fun!! However, in Cozumel a few weeks ago, there wasn't another ship beside us so there wasn't anyone to wave to us! One time in Cozumel we had a ship beside us and we were yelling back and forth at each other (not yelling as in mad, just yelling) and the captains were sounding the horns, and it was SO much fun!! :D

One time in Cozumel we had a ship beside us and we were yelling back and forth at each other (not yelling as in mad, just yelling) and the captains were sounding the horns, and it was SO much fun!! :D

We did the same thing leaving St.Maarten this past June. RC ship's passengers were yelling at us, we were yelling at them wohooo........byeee....etc then we had a little cruise ship horn battle going for a minute, it was awesome!:D :D

I think that your first sailaway is very special and best experienced from on deck, the atmosphere is very infectious when everyone is shouting and waving and the ships horn is sounding. When this has been done and if you feel you would like to experience it in the quiet atmosphere of your balcony with a glass of wine you can always try this out of one of the stop off ports, when the atmosphere is not quite so festive.

Can't wait...I sail away three weeks from today!!! One of those drink "specials" sounds good to me right now.;)

Just hold onto your little umbrella in your drink! During sailaway mine blew out-along with the pineapple and cherry still on it!:eek: :D Enjoy your cruise!:)

I have cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale and Miami and I don't remember Miami as well because it was pouring rain and we were all inside one of the bars for Sailaway. My first one was FL and I do remember the waving and horns, pretty exciting. On a nice day will Miami be as festive?

I'm hoping so as that's where we'll be in 2 months, 3 weeks and 6 days, I'm dyin' here:eek: !

Thanks!

Romy

Archived